Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689

Preacher: Season 3 (open spoilers)


Begins June 24th!
  #2  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:49 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Finally!!!
  #3  
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,223
The previews look great! Can't wait for this to come back!!
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #4  
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
It's all gone very quiet...

I'm only three episodes in but I have to say that I'm very impressed with the casting of the new season. Betty Buckley is spectacular as Gran'ma, and Jeremy Childs' Jody has got the right level of quiet malevolence and violence. Weirdly, they've made TC less creepy than the comic but I'm not sure I could have withstood a whole season featuring a character having sex with any animals and inanimate objects he could get his hands on.
  #5  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,223
I forgot there was a thread for this season.

So far, I've been enjoying it way more than previous seasons. Especially Cassidy - I think the writers are doing a great job in developing his character. He's become so much more than just a drug addict vampire. (if that makes any sense )
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #6  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Uniqueorn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 629
Only seems to come to life when the Grail is involved. Herr Starr steals every scene he's in.
  #7  
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,972
Odd connections: the TV was on Jurassic Park III this weekend, and as the end credits ran by, I saw a familiar name: Mark Harelik (God) as Ben, the uncle who takes his nephew parasailing and gets them stranded on the island. So he wasn't in the movie long, but still, one of those things that make you go, "huh."

I'm liking the Angelville storyline a lot more than the crew holing up with Cassidy's son. That dragged.
  #8  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
I'm out of town, so I didn't watch this week's episode but I was wondering something about an episode a couple of weeks ago. In one scene, Herr Starr had Humperdoo rehearse meeting the UK queen. Everything seemed to be going OK until Humperdoo was supposed to kiss the queen's ring. Instead he sucked on her finger. (I was cringing because I thought he might actually bite it off.) But if he's the Christian Messiah, shouldn't she have been kissing his ring? Didn't European royalty kiss the Pope's ring? And there was another scene in which Herr Starr appeared to have a video chat with what seemed to be the Pope, although a grossly obese one who was eating very messily.

And I'm not sure how well this plan of presenting either Humperdoo or Jesse Custer as the Messiah could possibly work, since neither is actually.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 07-30-2018 at 01:29 PM.
  #9  
Old 07-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Uniqueorn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I'm out of town, so I didn't watch this week's episode but I was wondering something about an episode a couple of weeks ago. In one scene, Herr Starr had Humperdoo rehearse meeting the UK queen. Everything seemed to be going OK until Humperdoo was supposed to kiss the queen's ring. Instead he sucked on her finger. (I was cringing because I thought he might actually bite it off.) But if he's the Christian Messiah, shouldn't she have been kissing his ring? Didn't European royalty kiss the Pope's ring? And there was another scene in which Herr Starr appeared to have a video chat with what seemed to be the Pope, although a grossly obese one who was eating very messily.

And I'm not sure how well this plan of presenting either Humperdoo or Jesse Custer as the Messiah could possibly work, since neither is actually.
I thought there was a sickly crunch sound that indicated he had actually bitten off her finger.

The scene was probably just shown to demonstrate his lack of social graces. The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.

The Pope-like figure was Allfather D'Aronique, the head of the Grail.
  #10  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And I'm not sure how well this plan of presenting either Humperdoo or Jesse Custer as the Messiah could possibly work, since neither is actually.
Wait, I thought Humperdoo WAS the Messiah?

Edited to add: I didn't see this week's yet, so if that question is answered or something this week, please don't say.

Last edited by manson1972; 07-30-2018 at 02:24 PM.
  #11  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
Humperdoo is a direct descendant of Christ but I don’t think that makes him the Messiah.
  #12  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.
She wouldn’t kiss the Pope’s ring but don’t Catholic monarchs do so?
  #13  
Old 07-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Maus Magill is online now
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 7,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
I thought there was a sickly crunch sound that indicated he had actually bitten off her finger.
Since the actress didn't scream, I assumed he was taking the stone off her ring with his teeth.
  #14  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,306
Needs more Hitler.
  #15  
Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Needs more Hitler.
Yes, they keep showing Hitler in the coming attractions, but so far, not much Hitler.

Like others, I'm liking the Angelville stuff (particularly the criminally under-used Betty Buckley) and the Cassidy stuff. I'm not as enthusiastic about the Grail story-line (though Pip Torrens is awesome). As has been mentioned, the whole 'who will be the Messiah?' plot is not being sold very plausibly.

And Hell is definitely on the back-burner, so far. Presumably it will rejoin the main plot soon.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #16  
Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Why did the Devil tell the Saint to bring Hitler and the kid back "alive"? I don't get that.
  #17  
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why did the Devil tell the Saint to bring Hitler and the kid back "alive"? I don't get that.
I'm guessing when the Saint kills you - you stay dead.

Or he means that killing them (to send them to hell) is somehow different than walking them thru the front door.

Last edited by simster; 07-31-2018 at 10:55 AM.
  #18  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
The show seems to be glossing over the idea that only one's soul ends up in heaven or hell, probably because that's impossible to illustrate. So when the devil says that the Saint should bring them back alive, he means in a form that allows for continued torture. I would like to see what Hitler has been up to in this world.
  #19  
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,306
Going by the quick flash in the opening credits of every episode, Hitler seems to be working in a fast food restaurant.
  #20  
Old 07-31-2018, 01:25 PM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Going by the quick flash in the opening credits of every episode, Hitler seems to be working in a fast food restaurant.
...and going by "Hilter". Maybe he's running in the North Minehead by-election?
  #21  
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,223
Well let's not forget, Eugene wasn't killed. He was "accidentally on purpose" sent to hell by Jessie and the power of Genesis. Maybe that's why Satan wants him back? And Hitler because he helped Eugene escape?
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #22  
Old 07-31-2018, 02:48 PM
WotNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northumbria
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Going by the quick flash in the opening credits of every episode, Hitler seems to be working in a fast food restaurant.
Yeah, the name badge seems to say “[Mikes? Mom’s?] Grinders”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
I thought there was a sickly crunch sound that indicated he had actually bitten off her finger.
During the soft-shoe shuffle number, she has her right glove off, and seems to holding that hand with something white wrapped around it, as she might if it were injured.

Quote:
The scene was probably just shown to demonstrate his lack of social graces. The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.
On the other hand, it’s not customary to kiss the Queen’s ring, either. I don’t know whether there’s an established protocol vis-a-vis messiahs, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Humperdoo is a direct descendant of Christ but I don’t think that makes him the Messiah.
He’s not: he’s a very naughty boy.
  #23  
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Well let's not forget, Eugene wasn't killed. He was "accidentally on purpose" sent to hell by Jessie and the power of Genesis. Maybe that's why Satan wants him back? And Hitler because he helped Eugene escape?
That had occurred to me as well; Eugene going to hell was out of the ordinary. If he's killed, it seems likely that he'd naturally go to heaven (he'd basically been a good guy), and Satan would lose him.
  #24  
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
He attempted suicide. Doesn't that rule out going to heaven?
  #25  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 AM
WotNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northumbria
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
He attempted suicide. Doesn't that rule out going to heaven?
Unclear. Theologians are divided on the issue.

Then again, most learned opinion is predicated on the Almighty ruling creation, not tooling around Louisiana on a motorbike, wearing a dog costume.
  #26  
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post
Unclear. Theologians are divided on the issue.

Then again, most learned opinion is predicated on the Almighty ruling creation, not tooling around Louisiana on a motorbike, wearing a dog costume.
Good point.
  #27  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post
Unclear. Theologians are divided on the issue.

Then again, most learned opinion is predicated on the Almighty ruling creation, not tooling around Louisiana on a motorbike, wearing a dog costume.
That, my child, is by design.
  #28  
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
As ways to move go, that one is definitely mysterious.
  #29  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
So, developments.

No surprise that the Anne Rice knock-off character is not quite what he purported to be.

And David (!!!) Hilter's plans appear to be wrecked. Noah Taylor really put in a performance. If he doesn't watch out, the American alt-right will draft him to replace the current Oval Office incumbent, should he not be able to fill out his term for one reason or another.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #30  
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,306
This season has moved veeeeery sloooowly.
  #31  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
This season has moved veeeeery sloooowly.
I'd guess that's because if they give Jesse back his Genesis, then it's tough* to give him conflicts and problems to solve. Because, POWER.

So they're trying to avoid getting to that point.




*though certainly not impossible.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #32  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Anyone still keeping up to date on this season?

I have a great new band name as a result of last night's episode:

SPOILER:
Exploding Humperdoo Montage
  #33  
Old 08-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
Great band name.

I am still loving this show. The writers clearly labor over every line; nothing is random. It's like a great stand-up act: there will be a call-back to every bit that had seemed merely a throw-away. (The lobby really IS a den of sexual harassment!)

I'm betting that Featherstone (Julie Ann Emery's character) will
SPOILER:
take to Hell so rapidly that Satan may be in danger of losing his throne.
__________________
__________________

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
  #34  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I have a great new band name as a result of last night's episode:
It definitely tops the previous candidate "Tapdancing Inbred Messiah".

Last edited by Gyrate; 08-14-2018 at 04:19 AM.
  #35  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,223
Still watching...and loving it. The Cassidy story line has me enthralled this season.

As for band names, I propose :

SPOILER:
The AllFather Gag Stick
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #36  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Maus Magill is online now
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 7,295
Jody's "Oh, crap" look was priceless when Tulip got into the truck.
  #37  
Old 08-17-2018, 05:47 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,937
Just loving it. Stupid youtube subscription seems to wait 2 weeks for each uodate so just caught up. Even Herr Star describing his company's business as "quite humdrum" had me laughing. And he only lies at "industry standards". Great action, dialogue and criss cross plotlines.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-17-2018 at 05:48 PM.
  #38  
Old 08-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
Any opinions on the last few episodes of this season? I liked it, although it's ridiculously gory at times. (The scene in which Jesse and Herr Starr fought over the vial containing Jesse's soul and what they rolled around in. And of course the shot right before that in which the vial emerged from where it had been placed for safekeeping.)

And can someone who has read the comic books on which the show is based tell me; is the show still following the comic books, or has it deviated from them?
  #39  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,221
I thought this season was fantastic -

'We're going to need a new Hoover'
  #40  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 17,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
And can someone who has read the comic books on which the show is based tell me; is the show still following the comic books, or has it deviated from them?
I haven't read the comic but I know from previous threads that the whole first season was only 2 pages or something of the first issue of the book.
  #41  
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Maus Magill is online now
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 7,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Any opinions on the last few episodes of this season? I liked it, although it's ridiculously gory at times. (The scene in which Jesse and Herr Starr fought over the vial containing Jesse's soul and what they rolled around in. And of course the shot right before that in which the vial emerged from where it had been placed for safekeeping.)

And can someone who has read the comic books on which the show is based tell me; is the show still following the comic books, or has it deviated from them?
The show and the comics are two completely different animals.
  #42  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
I thought the splitting up of the Main Three, in this third season, was smart--they each got to develop in ways they wouldn't have, had they been together in Angelville the entire time.

I'm feeling quite sad that the season is over. (And we don't yet know if it's renewed for a fourth).
  #43  
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
In many ways I'm enjoying the show more than the comic; the show has done a lot more character development on a lot more characters than the comic ever bothered to do. And the show has deviated from the comic plotwise considerably; the characters are the same, the ultimate goal is the same, and there are occasional plot elements that intersect, but on the whole the show appears to be taking a different path to the same end. And that's not a bad thing.

Far from finding this season slow, I thought it jogged along at quite a satisfactory pace to quite a satisfactory conclusion. There were two things I found very slightly questionable, which I will spoiler as they relate to key points:

SPOILER:
If you know that an extremely fat man is about to explode in an extremely gory fashion, why would you just keep standing there in front of him? If I were Jesse, I would have found something to hide behind.

and
SPOILER:
I know the Angel of Death is not the sharpest pitchfork in the inferno, so I couldn't tell whether Hitler got the job in the end because of his background and reputation or simply because he happened to be standing there.
But at least he finally got his plum cake. With extra flaky crust.

Also I was inordinately pleased to see that
SPOILER:
the Rosens survived the vampire massacre. They were nice people, even if she looked a bit like Gary Busey in drag.
  #44  
Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
... Far from finding this season slow, I thought it jogged along at quite a satisfactory pace to quite a satisfactory conclusion. There were two things I found very slightly questionable, which I will spoiler as they relate to key points:

SPOILER:
If you know that an extremely fat man is about to explode in an extremely gory fashion, why would you just keep standing there in front of him? If I were Jesse, I would have found something to hide behind.
Sure, but that would have disappointed much of the audience, who had been waiting for this since the creators first showed
SPOILER:
a Humperdoo explode. Jesse getting covered in innards hit a black-comedy note that the creators would not have failed to exploit.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
and
SPOILER:
I know the Angel of Death is not the sharpest pitchfork in the inferno, so I couldn't tell whether Hitler got the job in the end because of his background and reputation or simply because he happened to be standing there.
But at least he finally got his plum cake. With extra flaky crust.

Also I was inordinately pleased to see that
SPOILER:
the Rosens survived the vampire massacre. They were nice people, even if she looked a bit like Gary Busey in drag.
I would guess that H just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

As for the Rosens---assuming a fourth season happens---who knows but what they'll play a part in
SPOILER:
helping to rescue Cassidy. After all, he's the one who made their dreams (of becoming vampires) come true.
  #45  
Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,567
Wait, I remember an older woman who I think Cassidy called Mrs. Rosen but I don't remember a Mr Rosen. Did he appear on the show and I just missed it?
  #46  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Uniqueorn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Wait, I remember an older woman who I think Cassidy called Mrs. Rosen but I don't remember a Mr Rosen. Did he appear on the show and I just missed it?
The son is presumably also called Rosen.
  #47  
Old 09-07-2018, 08:26 AM
SykoSkotty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South 'Burbs
Posts: 1,223
I really enjoyed this season. I know I've said it before, but this show is just outrageous, campy, over-the-top fun. I haven't read the comics, so I don't know much about the differences between the TV and comic plot lines, but this season was great for the characters. I'm completely invested now ----

SPOILER:
Heck, I was actually hoping TC would go with Jesse and join the team. I really liked him towards the end of the season. I thought the past and present Jesse's interacting was a nice touch too, especially after finding out it was Jody that killed Jesse's father!
__________________
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin sized bed and wondered where my brother was.
  #48  
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,511
Regarding the last spoilered point: in the comic Jody did indeed do that and took the lighter (with the same message on it) from him, which Jesse later reclaimed.

The show made TC a lot more likeable than he was in the comic. As I said before, comic TC was phenomenally disgusting.
  #49  
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Maus Magill is online now
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nolensville, TN
Posts: 7,295
They even made Jody somewhat likable. I rarely say something like this, but all the departures from the comics have been for the better.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017