Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Preacher: Season 3 (open spoilers)

Begins June 24th!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Finally!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM

The previews look great! Can't wait for this to come back!!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 AM

It's all gone very quiet...

I'm only three episodes in but I have to say that I'm very impressed with the casting of the new season. Betty Buckley is spectacular as Gran'ma, and Jeremy Childs' Jody has got the right level of quiet malevolence and violence. Weirdly, they've made TC less creepy than the comic but I'm not sure I could have withstood a whole season featuring a character having sex with any animals and inanimate objects he could get his hands on.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM

I forgot there was a thread for this season.

So far, I've been enjoying it way more than previous seasons. Especially Cassidy - I think the writers are doing a great job in developing his character. He's become so much more than just a drug addict vampire. (if that makes any sense )
Old 07-30-2018, 08:23 AM

Only seems to come to life when the Grail is involved. Herr Starr steals every scene he's in.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Odd connections: the TV was on Jurassic Park III this weekend, and as the end credits ran by, I saw a familiar name: Mark Harelik (God) as Ben, the uncle who takes his nephew parasailing and gets them stranded on the island. So he wasn't in the movie long, but still, one of those things that make you go, "huh."

I'm liking the Angelville storyline a lot more than the crew holing up with Cassidy's son. That dragged.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm out of town, so I didn't watch this week's episode but I was wondering something about an episode a couple of weeks ago. In one scene, Herr Starr had Humperdoo rehearse meeting the UK queen. Everything seemed to be going OK until Humperdoo was supposed to kiss the queen's ring. Instead he sucked on her finger. (I was cringing because I thought he might actually bite it off.) But if he's the Christian Messiah, shouldn't she have been kissing his ring? Didn't European royalty kiss the Pope's ring? And there was another scene in which Herr Starr appeared to have a video chat with what seemed to be the Pope, although a grossly obese one who was eating very messily.

And I'm not sure how well this plan of presenting either Humperdoo or Jesse Custer as the Messiah could possibly work, since neither is actually.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 07-30-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I'm out of town, so I didn't watch this week's episode but I was wondering something about an episode a couple of weeks ago. In one scene, Herr Starr had Humperdoo rehearse meeting the UK queen. Everything seemed to be going OK until Humperdoo was supposed to kiss the queen's ring. Instead he sucked on her finger. (I was cringing because I thought he might actually bite it off.) But if he's the Christian Messiah, shouldn't she have been kissing his ring? Didn't European royalty kiss the Pope's ring? And there was another scene in which Herr Starr appeared to have a video chat with what seemed to be the Pope, although a grossly obese one who was eating very messily.

And I'm not sure how well this plan of presenting either Humperdoo or Jesse Custer as the Messiah could possibly work, since neither is actually.
I thought there was a sickly crunch sound that indicated he had actually bitten off her finger.

The scene was probably just shown to demonstrate his lack of social graces. The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.

The Pope-like figure was Allfather D'Aronique, the head of the Grail.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Wait, I thought Humperdoo WAS the Messiah?

Edited to add: I didn't see this week's yet, so if that question is answered or something this week, please don't say.

Last edited by manson1972; 07-30-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Humperdoo is a direct descendant of Christ but I don’t think that makes him the Messiah.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueorn View Post
The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.
She wouldn’t kiss the Pope’s ring but don’t Catholic monarchs do so?
Old 07-30-2018, 02:57 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought there was a sickly crunch sound that indicated he had actually bitten off her finger.
Since the actress didn't scream, I assumed he was taking the stone off her ring with his teeth.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Needs more Hitler.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Needs more Hitler.
Yes, they keep showing Hitler in the coming attractions, but so far, not much Hitler.

Like others, I'm liking the Angelville stuff (particularly the criminally under-used Betty Buckley) and the Cassidy stuff. I'm not as enthusiastic about the Grail story-line (though Pip Torrens is awesome). As has been mentioned, the whole 'who will be the Messiah?' plot is not being sold very plausibly.

And Hell is definitely on the back-burner, so far. Presumably it will rejoin the main plot soon.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM

Why did the Devil tell the Saint to bring Hitler and the kid back "alive"? I don't get that.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why did the Devil tell the Saint to bring Hitler and the kid back "alive"? I don't get that.
I'm guessing when the Saint kills you - you stay dead.

Or he means that killing them (to send them to hell) is somehow different than walking them thru the front door.

Last edited by simster; 07-31-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

The show seems to be glossing over the idea that only one's soul ends up in heaven or hell, probably because that's impossible to illustrate. So when the devil says that the Saint should bring them back alive, he means in a form that allows for continued torture. I would like to see what Hitler has been up to in this world.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM

Going by the quick flash in the opening credits of every episode, Hitler seems to be working in a fast food restaurant.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Going by the quick flash in the opening credits of every episode, Hitler seems to be working in a fast food restaurant.
...and going by "Hilter". Maybe he's running in the North Minehead by-election?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Well let's not forget, Eugene wasn't killed. He was "accidentally on purpose" sent to hell by Jessie and the power of Genesis. Maybe that's why Satan wants him back? And Hitler because he helped Eugene escape?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the name badge seems to say “[Mikes? Mom’s?] Grinders”.

Quote:
During the soft-shoe shuffle number, she has her right glove off, and seems to holding that hand with something white wrapped around it, as she might if it were injured.

Quote:
The scene was probably just shown to demonstrate his lack of social graces. The Queen is head of her own franchise of the church, so would not kiss the Pope's ring.
On the other hand, it’s not customary to kiss the Queen’s ring, either. I don’t know whether there’s an established protocol vis-a-vis messiahs, though.

Quote:
Humperdoo is a direct descendant of Christ but I don’t think that makes him the Messiah.
He’s not: he’s a very naughty boy.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
Well let's not forget, Eugene wasn't killed. He was "accidentally on purpose" sent to hell by Jessie and the power of Genesis. Maybe that's why Satan wants him back? And Hitler because he helped Eugene escape?
That had occurred to me as well; Eugene going to hell was out of the ordinary. If he's killed, it seems likely that he'd naturally go to heaven (he'd basically been a good guy), and Satan would lose him.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:11 AM

He attempted suicide. Doesn't that rule out going to heaven?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
He attempted suicide. Doesn't that rule out going to heaven?
Unclear. Theologians are divided on the issue.

Then again, most learned opinion is predicated on the Almighty ruling creation, not tooling around Louisiana on a motorbike, wearing a dog costume.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post

Then again, most learned opinion is predicated on the Almighty ruling creation, not tooling around Louisiana on a motorbike, wearing a dog costume.
Good point.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post

That, my child, is by design.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 PM

As ways to move go, that one is definitely mysterious.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:56 PM

So, developments.

No surprise that the Anne Rice knock-off character is not quite what he purported to be.

And David (!!!) Hilter's plans appear to be wrecked. Noah Taylor really put in a performance. If he doesn't watch out, the American alt-right will draft him to replace the current Oval Office incumbent, should he not be able to fill out his term for one reason or another.

Thread on my books (inexpensive gifts!) https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=866609
Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 PM

This season has moved veeeeery sloooowly.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
This season has moved veeeeery sloooowly.
I'd guess that's because if they give Jesse back his Genesis, then it's tough* to give him conflicts and problems to solve. Because, POWER.

So they're trying to avoid getting to that point.

*though certainly not impossible.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Anyone still keeping up to date on this season?

I have a great new band name as a result of last night's episode:

SPOILER:
Exploding Humperdoo Montage
Old 08-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Great band name.

I am still loving this show. The writers clearly labor over every line; nothing is random. It's like a great stand-up act: there will be a call-back to every bit that had seemed merely a throw-away. (The lobby really IS a den of sexual harassment!)

I'm betting that Featherstone (Julie Ann Emery's character) will
SPOILER:
take to Hell so rapidly that Satan may be in danger of losing his throne.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I have a great new band name as a result of last night's episode:
It definitely tops the previous candidate "Tapdancing Inbred Messiah".

Last edited by Gyrate; 08-14-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:00 AM

Still watching...and loving it. The Cassidy story line has me enthralled this season.

As for band names, I propose :

SPOILER:
The AllFather Gag Stick
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Jody's "Oh, crap" look was priceless when Tulip got into the truck.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Just loving it. Stupid youtube subscription seems to wait 2 weeks for each uodate so just caught up. Even Herr Star describing his company's business as "quite humdrum" had me laughing. And he only lies at "industry standards". Great action, dialogue and criss cross plotlines.

Last edited by CarnalK; 08-17-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Any opinions on the last few episodes of this season? I liked it, although it's ridiculously gory at times. (The scene in which Jesse and Herr Starr fought over the vial containing Jesse's soul and what they rolled around in. And of course the shot right before that in which the vial emerged from where it had been placed for safekeeping.)

And can someone who has read the comic books on which the show is based tell me; is the show still following the comic books, or has it deviated from them?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM

I thought this season was fantastic -

'We're going to need a new Hoover'
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
And can someone who has read the comic books on which the show is based tell me; is the show still following the comic books, or has it deviated from them?
I haven't read the comic but I know from previous threads that the whole first season was only 2 pages or something of the first issue of the book.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Any opinions on the last few episodes of this season? I liked it, although it's ridiculously gory at times. (The scene in which Jesse and Herr Starr fought over the vial containing Jesse's soul and what they rolled around in. And of course the shot right before that in which the vial emerged from where it had been placed for safekeeping.)

The show and the comics are two completely different animals.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 PM

I thought the splitting up of the Main Three, in this third season, was smart--they each got to develop in ways they wouldn't have, had they been together in Angelville the entire time.

I'm feeling quite sad that the season is over. (And we don't yet know if it's renewed for a fourth).
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 AM

In many ways I'm enjoying the show more than the comic; the show has done a lot more character development on a lot more characters than the comic ever bothered to do. And the show has deviated from the comic plotwise considerably; the characters are the same, the ultimate goal is the same, and there are occasional plot elements that intersect, but on the whole the show appears to be taking a different path to the same end. And that's not a bad thing.

Far from finding this season slow, I thought it jogged along at quite a satisfactory pace to quite a satisfactory conclusion. There were two things I found very slightly questionable, which I will spoiler as they relate to key points:

SPOILER:
If you know that an extremely fat man is about to explode in an extremely gory fashion, why would you just keep standing there in front of him? If I were Jesse, I would have found something to hide behind.

and
SPOILER:
I know the Angel of Death is not the sharpest pitchfork in the inferno, so I couldn't tell whether Hitler got the job in the end because of his background and reputation or simply because he happened to be standing there.
But at least he finally got his plum cake. With extra flaky crust.

Also I was inordinately pleased to see that
SPOILER:
the Rosens survived the vampire massacre. They were nice people, even if she looked a bit like Gary Busey in drag.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
... Far from finding this season slow, I thought it jogged along at quite a satisfactory pace to quite a satisfactory conclusion. There were two things I found very slightly questionable, which I will spoiler as they relate to key points:

SPOILER:
If you know that an extremely fat man is about to explode in an extremely gory fashion, why would you just keep standing there in front of him? If I were Jesse, I would have found something to hide behind.
Sure, but that would have disappointed much of the audience, who had been waiting for this since the creators first showed
SPOILER:
a Humperdoo explode. Jesse getting covered in innards hit a black-comedy note that the creators would not have failed to exploit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
and
SPOILER:
I know the Angel of Death is not the sharpest pitchfork in the inferno, so I couldn't tell whether Hitler got the job in the end because of his background and reputation or simply because he happened to be standing there.
But at least he finally got his plum cake. With extra flaky crust.

Also I was inordinately pleased to see that
SPOILER:
the Rosens survived the vampire massacre. They were nice people, even if she looked a bit like Gary Busey in drag.
I would guess that H just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

As for the Rosens---assuming a fourth season happens---who knows but what they'll play a part in
SPOILER:
helping to rescue Cassidy. After all, he's the one who made their dreams (of becoming vampires) come true.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Wait, I remember an older woman who I think Cassidy called Mrs. Rosen but I don't remember a Mr Rosen. Did he appear on the show and I just missed it?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Wait, I remember an older woman who I think Cassidy called Mrs. Rosen but I don't remember a Mr Rosen. Did he appear on the show and I just missed it?
The son is presumably also called Rosen.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:26 AM

I really enjoyed this season. I know I've said it before, but this show is just outrageous, campy, over-the-top fun. I haven't read the comics, so I don't know much about the differences between the TV and comic plot lines, but this season was great for the characters. I'm completely invested now ----

SPOILER:
Heck, I was actually hoping TC would go with Jesse and join the team. I really liked him towards the end of the season. I thought the past and present Jesse's interacting was a nice touch too, especially after finding out it was Jody that killed Jesse's father!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Regarding the last spoilered point: in the comic Jody did indeed do that and took the lighter (with the same message on it) from him, which Jesse later reclaimed.

The show made TC a lot more likeable than he was in the comic. As I said before, comic TC was phenomenally disgusting.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

They even made Jody somewhat likable. I rarely say something like this, but all the departures from the comics have been for the better.