Old 07-15-2018, 07:41 PM

What's your usual GET A HOT MEAL ON THE TABLE ASAP meal?

We've all been there. You just getting home from work, you're hangry, tired and have zero patience. You want something to eat now and you want it with a minimum of fuss and drama. Using ingredients you usually have on hand, what's your quick dinner of choice? The only rule - there has to be some actual cooking involved on your part. No reaching for a purchased microwavable frozen meal and no calling for a meal delivery or restaurant reservations.

I usually go in one of two ways:

OPTION 1 - I don't care if in the evening, I'll make breakfast. I can have sausage, pancakes and eggs on the table in ten minutes.

OPTION 2 - plop a frozen chicken breast into a skillet along side some chopped onion, peppers and mushrooms. When the chicken is thawed enough to permit, remove it, cut it up and return to pan with spices and a can's worth of drained black beans or refried beans. Wrap the resulting glop into a flour tortilla and call it a day.

What's your quick meal strategy?

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 07-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Make a hamburger.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:50 PM

I bike past Trader Joe's on my way home, so I grab some of their chicken sausages (90% less fat than bratwurst, though half as tasty). Sundried Tomato, Italian, Garlic, Chardonnay Apple, lots of choices. Slap those on the grill or pan while I open my bag of TJ's Pepita/ Apricot/Kale/Spinach Salad (comes with a good Asian dressing)(my wife's a good Asian, she concurs). End the meal with a Seinfeld reference*.

*T-Joe's carries Chocolate Babka... and the Black & White Cookie (which cannot be eaten without someone saying "Look to the cookie!")
Old 07-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Pizza. Or maybe Panda Express.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Pizza. Or maybe Panda Express.
The only rule - there has to be some actual cooking involved on your part.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 PM

Ramen with an egg, some frozen veggies, maybe some chopped up Costco precooked chicken strips from the freezer and a little snipped chive from the garden.

If I'm planning ahead for something fast, chicken legs or a pork loin can be prepped and cooked pretty fast but not if they're sitting frozen in the freezer.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-15-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Tacos. I always have tortillas, cheese, salsa and some sort of greenery around so cheese tacos are always a possibility, and if I have some leftover cooked chicken or ground meat or steak or pork I can make meat tacos. Sour cream and avocados are likely to be available as well. I can fit four tacos into one frying pan so they all come out about the same time and the whole process takes maybe ten, fifteen minutes. That's a meal.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 PM

I'm with Jophiel on this one: ramen with frozen veggies and some kind of soy/gluten protein maybe. I might add a wee bit of grated romano cheese on top, too.

ETA: The thing is, I eat this a lot of the time even when time/desire to cook isn't a factor. I just like ramen.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-15-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Grilled cheese/ham & cheese/whatever ingredients. Quick and easy, always have ingredients on hand.

Second would be some sort of pasta dish, but that will take at least about 15 minutes for the water to boil and the pasta to cook. For sauce, I usually do a quick arrabbiata (crushed tomatoes, oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes, olive oil) or puttanesca (anchovies, capers, olives, garlic) with pantry ingredients. It might sound somewhat fancy, but it's super easy and tasty and quick and the reason I want to have anchovies, capers, and olives at all times.)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I'm with Jophiel on this one: ramen with frozen veggies and some kind of soy/gluten protein maybe. I might add a wee bit of grated romano cheese on top, too.

ETA: The thing is, I eat this a lot of the time even when time/desire to cook isn't a factor. I just like ramen.
I got no issue with ramen and I happily eat my share of it. With that being said, some of my experiments have been less than enjoyable. In memory of my father, once a year, I'll eat a can of spam. Ramen is a frequent home for some of it.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Mac n cheese. Or maybe a quesadilla with some beans.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Cheese or plain omelette with whatever veggies are available for steaming on the side.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Mac n cheese. Or maybe a quesadilla with some beans.
Oh, yes, quesadilla, too! How did I forget that one? Well, you can fold it into the "grilled cheese" category.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
The only rule - there has to be some actual cooking involved on your part.
Well then, a can of soup or a can of chili. I assume heating up constitutes cooking.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Ramen with a can or two of tuna and some leftover canned veggies (or some frozen veggies if there are no leftovers).

Sometimes I'll do a quasi-Thai ramen with cumin, turmeric, and a bit of crunchy peanut butter.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is comfort food whether I'm in a hurry or not. Bonus: my kids like it.

Omelets or fried egg sandwiches are both good in a pinch, too.

I almost always have risotto, frozen peas, and a block of parmesan cheese in the house. Risotto takes a little time and babysitting, but it's not hard at all. Toss in the peas five minutes before it's done, grate some parmesan into it, and Bob's your uncle.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 PM

I'm fond of a quick frittata. In addition to being fast, they're extremely flexible.

Dice ham, bacon or sausage fried with a little olive oil in an oven proof pan. Drain excess oil if there is any. Then add your favorite veggies or whatever is in the fridge. Mine always has chopped garlic, onion, red peppers and mushrooms. Saute those until wilted. I like to add a couple handfuls of spinach at this point. Then add the beaten eggs (I use 6) and sprinkle shredded cheese evenly through the mixture. Turn down the heat and let it cook through the bottom. Then sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and run it under the broiler for a few minutes to lightly cook/toast the top.

Add a piece of fruit, some toast if you want some carbs, and there's dinner. Breakfast, too!

Alpha Twit... it's obvious you really loved your dad. Hat tip.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM

I am going with eggs. I've always got eggs. Cheese is always in my fridge. I usually have something squirreled away that I cooked and frozen, that could be an option, if it's allowed. Pasta is quick. I make my own Italian sauce and can it when I have tomatos. So I can do pasta in the time it takes to boil noodles, say 10 minutes. Salad fixings are usually here too.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm reading this thread with interest without contributing much. I used to keep a lot of fridge staples around but I kept having stuff go bad. So if it's not in my meal plan when I go grocery shopping, I often don't have it.

I've recently tried keeping frozen ravioli and frozen vegetables in the freezer. I've thrown them into chicken broth for something soup-like on short notice.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 PM

Just like the OP... we'll cook breakfast. We've always got eggs, b-fast meat, and cheese in the fridge.

Cereal is my backup plan. Cheese and crackers is the wife's.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A small grilled steak and a salad. Or an omelette.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Pasta + tomato sauce is pretty quick and easy, and plenty of things you might have on hand can be easily added as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:59 PM

Usually it's some variant of spaghetti; we always have dry pasta of some kind, usually spaghetti, and we usually have a jar of sauce and either ground meat or frozen meatballs. Most of the time we also have frozen pesto from some past pesto-making session as well. And if nothing else, we almost always have everything for aglio e olio, unless for some reason we're out of garlic.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 PM

I have a few, some more involved than others. Breakfast for dinner is nearly always an option in my house, I grew up eating it nearly every Sunday evening. Now it's a rare day that I don't have eggs, grits, bread, and some sort of breakfasty meat on hand for some variation on the theme.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup - also with a couple of variations depending on what's in the fridge.

Pasta - I hate...LOATHE pasta with meat sauce but durned if it's not super easy to whip some up, and I know I am in a very small minority. I'll serve it to my boys, then throw some cheese and pepper on mine. Munch whatever salad-y veggies are in the fridge on the side.

If it's just me? I am a grazer. I'm more likely than not to make a plate of cold cuts, olives, a bit of whatever cheese is in the fridge*, pickles, maybe some bread or crackers, and some good mustard.

*I don't have a vegetable crisper. I have a cheese drawer.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 PM

There are tons of great ideas here, breakfast, pasta, grilled cheese and Iíve done them all. Sometimes Iíll just take some chicken, whatever pieces I have and toss them in some bbq sauce or whatever I have on hand, honey and garlic for example, throw them in a skillet and put them on the stovetop or in the oven. Iíll chop some potatoes toss them in some oil and seasonings and put them in the oven and boil, roast or microwave a veggie. I usually always have chicken and potatoes. Ramen noodles were mentioned and sometimes Iíll just do egg noodles as a side. Quick and easy.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Broken egg. Heat a bit of butter in a little pan, break in an egg and just swirl a fork a couple times. When it's mostly set, flip and lay a slice of cheese on top. Put on toast or an english muffin with hot sauce, ketchup, or salsa.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:46 AM

Popcorn.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I suppose scooping out ice cream does not count, not least because it's cold. But does pouring Hershey's syrup on it count as cooking?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Beans on toast.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:58 AM

Pasta with garlic and oil. Fast and delicious and I can feed my whole family with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Easiest question in the world to answer. Canned refried beans, tortillas, cheese and hot sauce. If these aren't in my apartment, then call 911.

Chicken breasts marinated in Italian dressing in my backup. Quick, easy, tasty, and inexpensive.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Pasta with garlic and oil. Fast and delicious and I can feed my whole family with it.
This, plus some capers, anchovies and chilli flakes, all of which is usually in jars in the store cupboard. If there's any growing on the kitchen window sill I'll lob some chopped flat-leaf parsley in there too.

Last edited by RobDog; 07-16-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Bacon, scrambled eggs. If there's a little more time, I'll make spaghetti carbonara.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 AM

Toast with egg and/or baked beans, if we're talking really really lazy.

Pasta with jarred sauce and cheese, if I'm not in quite so much of a rush.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Oh, yeah, that's a go-to for me too. I usually put lots of butter in it as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 AM

1. Ramen with some frozen veg, and chicken if there's some laying around

2. Pasta with a simple tomato sauce or pesto

3. 2-3 ears of corn on the cob (in season)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM

Poach 3 eggs and have on toast. Takes less than 10 mins.

Or bake a pan of cornbread. Takes 20 mins. Eat with a bowl of hot soup.

Option 3 is creamed beef over toast. Takes about 20 to 30 mins. If I have ground beef on hand.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I'm fond of a quick frittata. In addition to being fast, they're extremely flexible.
Yep, a frittata for me as well. Quick, easy, and I can use up whatever produce or leftovers need used up.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Two athletic adults, a teenager, 8 y/o, and toddler to feed. Need lots of food.

Grab a pound of ground turkey out of the freezer, brown it. Cook a pot of brown rice. Mix those two and add cans of vegetables, beans, whatever. Or wilt some spinach in it. Maybe sprinkle on cheese.

Takes less than 40 minutes.

Or, brown the meat and throw together a red sauce and pasta. Even quicker.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 07-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Rice and Chinese sausage go into the Instant pot. Finish with soy sauce and sesame chili oil. Takes about 20 minutes to cook, but it's only a few seconds of actual "cooking."

If I want something faster than that, microwave some leftover rice in a bowl, fry an egg over easy, drop it on top of the rice, add a dollop of oyster sauce.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
born to be shunned

Canned soup or pasta or some sort of cooked/smoked meat out of the freezer with some sauce/gravy over noodles. (When I run the smoker I tend to do 10 pounds or so just for that purpose.)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Meat inna pan. Steak, pork loins, lamb steaks, chicken breasts, burgers - whatever's in the fridge, just put it in a frying pan and season with salt, pepper, onion powder and sage. While that's cooking, make some rice - I don't mind microwaved basmati rice, and then either a basic salad (lettuce and cucumber with dressing) or some frozen peas also microwaved.

Or, when all else fails, eggs is eggs. If I have easily preparable ingredients - omelette. If I don't - scrambled eggs.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM

If I have the time and Iím feeling motivated, I sometimes prep a casserole or Mac and cheese, really any one dish meal of any kind and stick it in the fridge. The next day, I can just pop it in the oven.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Open a quart jar of vegetarian chili. Heat it. Meanwhile, crumble a pound of chorizo and fry it up. Combine chili and cooked chorizo. Optionally, top with a dollop of sour cream.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Grilled cheese - Or if I'm extra lazy a toast cheese sandwich - no frying pan necessary
Fried egg & cheese sandwich on toast
Lipton chicken noodle soup (NOT Cup-a-Soup) & crackers
Hot dogs on the grill
Frozen pizza - cooked of course!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM

My wife and I almost always have left overs during the week. Make a big batch of something on the weekend and re heat it.

While it takes longer than 10 minutes (unless you just microwave it) a baked potato is about as easy as it gets. Just depends on how you want to dress it up. We will often do a quick sautť of onion and broccoli or what ever is on hand to top it with. A fried egg on the potato works well. Failing that, just some butter and cheese and salsa works too.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:47 AM

Pancakes and Eggs are my go-to quick meal. My kids love breakfast-for-dinner, and I usually pair it with some sort of fruit.

I'm also a crockpot fan. It takes a little time in the morning, but it's super quick when I get home from work late.

Otherwise, I admit that I buy the Tai Pei microwave Chinese dinners. I'll nuke 2 or 3 of them and a bag of microwave Asian veggies. Plenty of food for the kiddos and me, and quick.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who loves breakfast anytime.

Honestly, eggs are the world's most perfect food. (pepperoni is a close second)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I almost always have spaghetti sauce in the freezer, so while it's being nuked, I can cook up some pasta and have dinner ready in about 15 minutes. My sauce had a lot of veggies in it - diced tomatoes, onions, mushrooms - so I don't even need to come up with a veggie side dish.

For quickie comfort food - mac-n-cheese-n-peas.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who loves breakfast anytime.
Oh, no. That's extremely common, IME. I mean, just witness all the "all day breakfast menu"s at places like McDonald's and White Castle (and of course, IHOP/Dennys, etc.)