Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 AM

Songs to which you have an unexpected or unexpectedly strong emotional reaction

I figure if what I named in the thread title is a "thing" the SDMB is the place to tease it out. Personal example: For years now I have regarded the song Forever Your Girl by Paula Abdul as oddly romantic. This feeling has only gotten stronger as I've aged.

I don't have a great explanation. Musically, it's just average 80s pop with a basic synth beat. Abdul is an ok singer, but hardly Whitney Houston. The lyrics aren't profound or deep. Sample:
Baby, just remember I gave you my heart,
ain't no-one gonna tear us apart.
He can promise the moon and the stars above,
even if he promised me the world;
Just remember I'm forever your girl.

But there's just something about the sprightly optimism in Abdul's voice, and the simple basic sentiment in the song that moves me. If real life and relationships are a lot more complex than this, it almost seems sad that it must be so. We all deserve (I think internally) to have someone honestly say how much they really care about us in such a clear and forthright manner. Perhaps because this song came out when I believed in much simpler notions of love and caring, it reminds of who I was then, and makes me wish love--and by extension, the world--could still seem so easy to understand.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Came out just after I was badly dumped. The strange thing was that it turned up in restaurant muzak while I was on holiday a couple of years later, and still had the same effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0C5IG3FCA0
Old 07-29-2018, 07:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZT_OxPRmSw
Riders On The Storm - (The Doors) Extended Remastered Version

First thing to come to mind upon reading the thread title.
There are likely dozens to hundreds of others that fit that description as well.
If I think of one that's even better at fitting my basic gut reaction to the
question, I may post it later.

Meanwhile, I just thought that this one may even cause a still stronger reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8U20LicdU
Tommy Emmanuel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow (live 2006 Leverkusen)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
Meanwhile, I just thought that this one may even cause a still stronger reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8U20LicdU
Tommy Emmanuel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow (live 2006 Leverkusen)
The ukelele cover of that was played over the scene where Dr. Green dies in St. Elsewhere. Best screen death ever (he's been battling cancer, the family rents a cottage on the beach, and he dies while taking a nap... )

As a result, it can make me tear up, even in public places.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 AM

When I was a little kid, I hated, hated the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon," because I didn't understand what was going on, that it was about a kid growing up, and when it said the kid was no more, I thought he died. I was a little kid around 1970, and so we sang the song a LOT in preschool, and it always upset me to no end (although, I kept it to myself).

Now I'm 51, and I know what's going on, and the song still really upsets me.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
Came out just after I was badly dumped. The strange thing was that it turned up in restaurant muzak while I was on holiday a couple of years later, and still had the same effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0C5IG3FCA0
I dig it.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
The ukelele cover of that was played over the scene where Dr. Green dies in St. Elsewhere. Best screen death ever (he's been battling cancer, the family rents a cottage on the beach, and he dies while taking a nap... )

In the same way that Eva Cassidy, when extremely ill, did her version of OTR that can bring the sorrow home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY
Old 07-29-2018, 03:00 PM

'Stars' by Grace Potter. I heard it in the car going to the funeral home after Daddy died. Could not have hit me harder. I bought the song, but I can rarely listen to the whole song. My understanding is it was written about someone she herself lost. Sad.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

While I'd seen the three Hobbit movies individually, I bought the Blu-Ray set last November, about a month after my father's death.

The closing credits for the last installment included this: The Last Goodbye.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:25 PM

"Shelter From the Storm"

Suddenly I turned around and she was standing there
With silver bracelets on her wrist and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
Come in, she said, I'll give ya shelter from the storm.

Ms. P and I have been giving each other shelter for 22 years now.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:14 PM

Taylor Swift - Best Day.

Processed sentimental mush that reduces me to tears every time.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 PM

Lost in the Stars, a Kurt Weill song, which gets to me in spite of its religious setting. I guess it speaks to the despair in my soul, which doesn't get much attention from me most of the time.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:56 PM

White Winos by Loudon Wainright. My mom is still alive,and doesn't really like white wine, but that song gets me every time.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
"Shelter From the Storm"

Suddenly I turned around and she was standing there
With silver bracelets on her wrist and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
Come in, she said, I'll give ya shelter from the storm.

Ms. P and I have been giving each other shelter for 22 years now.
I dig that too!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Completely unexpected, I bawled out loud at the Everly Brothers cover of "I'm Here To Get My Baby Out Of Jail".
Old 07-30-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
When I was a little kid, I hated, hated the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon," because I didn't understand what was going on, that it was about a kid growing up, and when it said the kid was no more, I thought he died. I was a little kid around 1970, and so we sang the song a LOT in preschool, and it always upset me to no end (although, I kept it to myself).

I understand exactly what you mean and I feel the same way. One that gets me, actually, it’s an entire CD is The Raw and the Cooked by The Fine Young Cannibals. I was very involved in a relationship when it was out and we would have it on in the car a lot. I can listen to it, but it brings back so many memories and would have, should haves that, well, just thinking about it now makes me think of him.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:55 PM

"I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112, following the death of Notorious B.I.G. in 1997. I mean, I've never been a fan of P.Daddy, Evans, 112 or BIG. I actually preferred rival Tupac Shakur's music (but I didn't buy into the whole West/East coast rap "wars"). I bought the CD single and played it often. The lyrics were simplistic and seemed rushed. Strangely though, it attracted me. I played it over and over for days. it must have been the use of The Police's "Every Breath You Take."
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 AM

Even after reading the OP and all the thread responses, I'm still confused as to what classifies as an "unexpected" emotional reaction. Is the idea that the song doesn't sound particularly emotional, and yet it stirs up strong emotions in you?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM

Puff the Magic Dragon always hits me too.

Also:

Another Park, Another Sunday - Doobie Bros
Breath of Heaven - Amy Grant
Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
If I Die Young - The Band Perry or the cast of Glee
Mary, Did You Know? - by anybody
Wherever You Will Go - The Calling
Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM

Damien Rice's Blower's Daughter. A beautiful song in and of itself, my (now ex) boyfriend put it on the jukebox the night we met. Cheesy, but it totally worked It's not that I miss him but more so the feeling those many years ago of meeting a new love; I fear I'll never experience that again

Still by Alanis Morissette. It's was the ending credits song for the movie Dogma. It was several years ago on my birthday and I had taken the day off work because I was depressed and wanted to be alone. I sort of remember the movie itself - my mind wasn't really on it - and then the song came on and the dam burst. When I hear it now, I ache for my then self, but also see the beauty of the Universe (or God or whatever you choose) looking down on us asshole humans and loving us in spite of our monumental stupidity and cruelty.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

Nitpick - that was "ER" not "St. Elsewhere." But I do agree, the death of Dr Mark Greene was one of the most riveting story lines I'd ever seen on network TV. He had been battling brain tumors, went through surgeries and chemo, and it looked like he would recover, then the tumor returned and his surgeon said even if he could do another surgery, it would only buy him another 3-6 months. His daughter put headphones on him as he was lying in bed, barley alive, and that song began playing. I get teary eyed just thinking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPa0OpcbmB8
Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 AM

There was a song by Natalie Cole called "Starting Over Again" back around 1990. Came out about the same time I had a bad break up with a girl I thought I loved. The song lyrics were irrelevant to my situation and it had never been "our song" or anything, but the first time I heard it on the radio after the break up, I had to pull the car over because I couldn't see straight for crying.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM

I was a teenager in the early 1990s, and I used to lift weights while listening to a Top 40 radio station. I was in the middle of bench pressing when a very slow song came on:

It's been seven hours and sixteen days...

It's a good thing I wasn't much of a lifter, because I dropped the barbell on myself. Then I just lay breathless for the rest of Nothing Compares 2 U.

Last edited by Sefton; 07-31-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM

Fields of Gold (Sting)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 AM

Back in the day: 'Sara' by Stevie Nicks, after a bad breakup. I pictured a little white bird flying through the storm. At the same time, 'Still' by the Commodores. Both songs reduced me to helpless sobbing no matter where I was or what I was doing. :-(

On a lighter note, 'For Your Love' by the Yardbirds in the 60's - I still love this little song and think it is everlastingly romantic. And 'Make Me Smile' by Chicago - that was OUR song, after graduation, when the future was bright and we were headed out into a shiny new world to get great jobs and get on with love and life. Hah.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
While I'd seen the three Hobbit movies individually, I bought the Blu-Ray set last November, about a month after my father's death.

The closing credits for the last installment included this: The Last Goodbye.
Honest truth. I don't have a loved one connected but....

Having watched all the making of dvd's for both the Hobbit and LOTR(that's tons of hours), I tear up watching that video because it represented the "goodbye" from the filmmakers who were lucky enough to make LOTR and the Hobbit.

Flawed movies I'm sure, especially the Hobbits, but they were invested in them emotionally.

I love that Billy Boyd came back to sing the final song.

Note: it helpss that the video is clearly a goodbye from production. You can see them making it.

:grabs hanky:

Last edited by Mahaloth; 07-31-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

It's getting harder for me to play "Dust In The Wind" on guitar, as more friends and family pass away.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM

The Van Morrison song Irish Heartbeat first appeared on his 1983 album Inarticulate Speech of the Heart. I thought it was a good tune, but there are so many great Van Morrison songs that it got lost in the crowd. Then, in 1988, he recorded it again with the Irish folk group The Chieftains. I'm not sure why, but the Chieftains version has a huge effect on me emotionally every time I hear it, and now it's one of my very favorite songs. I'm thinking of asking for it to be played at my funeral (not anytime soon, hopefully).

And I'm not even Irish.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
The Van Morrison song Irish Heartbeat first appeared on his 1983 album Inarticulate Speech of the Heart. I thought it was a good tune, but there are so many great Van Morrison songs that it got lost in the crowd. Then, in 1988, he recorded it again with the Irish folk group The Chieftains. I'm not sure why, but the Chieftains version has a huge effect on me emotionally every time I hear it, and now it's one of my very favorite songs. I'm thinking of asking for it to be played at my funeral (not anytime soon, hopefully).

And I'm not even Irish.
I'm gonna see Van Morrison tomorrow in Cologne, I hope he plays Irish Heartbeat . (though sadly, the Chieftains aren't on the bill)

Anyway, the song that gets me every time is Ryan Adams' Pa. It's one of the saddest songs I know, and though I still haven't lost one of my closest family or friends (but it will surely happen, like to everyone of us), it tears me up.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 07-31-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post

And I'm not even Irish.
Don't listen to the duet of Irish Heartbeat: Van and Mark Knopfler.
I'd get emotional listening to either of them, doing almost any song. But together...
Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Lost in the Stars, a Kurt Weill song, which gets to me in spite of its religious setting. I guess it speaks to the despair in my soul, which doesn't get much attention from me most of the time.
Wow, thanks for this; "doesn't get much attention from me most of the time." Excellent way to put it! I'm almost afraid to go listen to that song.

Last edited by kayT; 07-31-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
Even after reading the OP and all the thread responses, I'm still confused as to what classifies as an "unexpected" emotional reaction. Is the idea that the song doesn't sound particularly emotional, and yet it stirs up strong emotions in you?
To some extent it's self-defined, but I think you have the right idea. My original thought was that some songs, for personal reasons, have emotional resonance beyond their actual artistic merit.I made the distinction to differentiate what I was talking about from songs that EVERYONE agrees are great, and that also have deep meaning. A good example of the latter would "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men. I don't think many people believe Paula Abdul rises to the same artistic level as Boyz II Men, but the song of hers in the OP just speaks to me for some reason.
This is a highly personal thing, so opinions vary widely. For example, someone mentioned Nothing Compares 2 U, which I would personally put in the "Great songs that are moving because they are great" category. But hey, that's what worked for someone.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 PM

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd reduces me to tears nearly every time I hear it. If I sing along very strongly, I might be able to hold them back. I mean, it's about missing someone who is gone, or just lost to them. It's a sad song, but every time I hear it, I am surprised how gutted I feel.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:32 PM

I cannot explain why, but the song "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" just hits me right in the gut. Especially as sung by Carol Welsman. I just listened to the original by Vera Lynn and it doesn't hold a candle to Carol Welsman's.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post

I was upset by the same song for the same reason.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 PM

I missed the point of the thread while thinking of songs - I've come up with a number of songs, but in all of them my emotional reaction is totally unsurprising. I'm a sucker for that kind of songs.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM

Maybe not unexpected but when I went through my divorce I used to sit on the couch alone and listen to these two solo Dave Matthews songs on repeat in a dark room and cry

Stay or Leave:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjZ5WWwRF8
Remember we used to dance
And everyone wanted to be you and me?
I want to be, too
What day is this
Besides the day you left me?
What day is this
Besides the day you went?

Oh what to do
With the rest of the day's afternoon?
Hey isn't it strange how we change
Everything we did?
Did I do all that I could?

And Some Devil:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbzoltxZms
Too drunk and still drinking
It's just the way I feel
"It's alright," is what you told me
Cause what we had was so beautiful
Feel heavy, like floating
At the bottom of the sea

You said always and forever
Now I believe you baby
You said always and forever
Is such a long and lonely time
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 AM

Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch". I was going through a very bad breakup at the time, and that sone takes me right back to the worst of it.

On a lighter note, Nick Gilder's "Hot Child in the City" - I hear it, and instantly flash to a very specific scene from my college job as an admissions clerk in the local ER. The middle of a hot summer night, things are quiet in the ER, the lights are low, most of the staff are dozing at their desks, that song playing softly in the background.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 AM

Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts by Dylan. It paints such a lush picture to me. And by the time Big Jim is killed, Rosemary is swinging from the gallows and Dylan sings the line "Lily had already taken all of the dye out of her hair", I'm normally tearing up. Every time. Don't know why.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:55 PM

"Old and Wise" by the Alan Parsons Project. Could be one's own musical eulogy.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM

At last

By neko case

It hit really hard when my primary cat died after a long battle with cancer.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
I just listened, inspired by different things which include your post, to The Best Of Alan Parsons Project for the first time in maybe 30 years. I had the album on a cassette back then and "Old And Wise" was one of my favorite songs from it because it has a beautiful melody, but I really never listened really closely to the lyrics and my grasp of English wasn't as good as now. But yeah, listening to it now and grasping the lyrics brought a little tear to my eye, because a dear uncle of mine died today, and he was a very musical man. He would've liked the song.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 08-07-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer2575 View Post
Utterly beautiful in many ways! I just had to send this to all my friends (old and young).
Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
It's getting harder for me to play "Dust In The Wind" on guitar, as more friends and family pass away.
It's impossible for me. I don't know how to play.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Having grown up in Boston in the 1960's, I always teat up at Camelot, particularly the reprise:

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

The deleted verse of Don McLean's American Pie:

And there I stood alone and afraid
I dropped to my knees and there I prayed
And I promised him everything I could give
If only he would make the music live
And he promised it would live once more
But this time one would equal four
And in five years four had come to mourn
And the music was reborn
Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 AM

"In My Daughter's Eyes" by Martina McBride catches me every time I hear it
Old 08-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Looks Like Rain by the Grateful Dead can make the room very dusty.

Awoke today, felt your side of the bed;
The covers were still warm where you been layin'.
You were gone, oh gone, my heart was filled with dread;
You might not be sleeping here again.

But it's alright cause I love you, and that's not going to change.
Run me around and make me hurt again and again.
But I'll still sing you love songs, written in the letters of your name.
The rain is gonna come, oh it surely looks like rain...

tsfr