Old 09-01-2018, 09:43 AM

What is your personal slippery slope?

The thing you have to watch so you don't slide all the way down...

I walk at the local mall every morning. It's too hot to walk outside here most of the year (except when it's too cold) so I join the other old fogeys in the perfectly climate-controlled spaceship-like mall. I go between 7:30 and 830 (should have left ten minutes ago) six or seven days a week. I enjoy it, look forward to it, and don't have to make myself do it, especially if I have a good audiobook to listen to. Must go before the stores open at 10, or there are too many people to dodge. The best time is 7:30 on Sunday morning when there are only a couple of walkers, and the cleaning people aren't even there yet.

I often take one day a week off, and sometimes circumstances demand that I miss two days. But then I absolutely make sure I go the next day. It would be so easy to let two days become three days... and then four and then a week. And down the slope.

I also have to simply NOT buy certain snacks at the grocery store. I have no control. If it's a cookie I like, or ice cream in anything except a single-serve cup, or a big bag of Hanover's Honey Mustard Pretzel Bits*--forget it. I tell myself in the store that I can meter my consumption, but when I get home...resolutions fails mightily. I can buy the big bag of chips or cookies that contain smaller, single-serve bags. I might eat two of those, but I'm not going to eat all of them the way I can easily go through half a bag of pretzel bits or sour cream & onion potato chips.

It's all about "know thyself."

What are yours?

I'm off to walk!

*If you haven't tried these, gitchyseff some. One of the best snacks ever. You can thank/curse me later.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Peanut butter. Especially the crunchy kind. Right out of the jar with a little salt pm a spoon. Mmmmm (sticky mouth). I try to limit myself to one spoonful. But sometimes I use a BIG spoon. It's hard not to go back for seconds.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:19 AM

One glass of wine.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 AM

Cheap "BBQ"

Real, proper BBQ is too expensive for me to eat very often. Roast, shredded pork shoulder with KC Masterpiece, red pepper flakes and jalopenos - yeah, I'm all over that.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 AM

If I do anything more than once I need to get a reading from an obsessometer.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM

Anything sweet, pretty much. It sucks too because a lot of my favorites can not be purchased in a small enough portion for me to safely bring it into my house.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
And duh posting on the Dope is a perfect example.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Nuts. Any and all nuts. And any and all cheese.

j
Old 09-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yups for me, especially if it's a new activity that I can buy stuff, and stuff, and MORE STUFF for. Just last weekend a friend inherited all of my top-o-the-line kayaking equipment, unused for three years after one summer of use.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
Yups for me, especially if it's a new activity that I can buy stuff, and stuff, and MORE STUFF for. Just last weekend a friend inherited all of my top-o-the-line kayaking equipment, unused for three years after one summer of use.
Oh yes. I love stocking up on all the gear required for a new activity. As for the activity itself... well...
Old 09-01-2018, 01:19 PM

cookies, ice cream, crackers, all snacks really.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Salted pistachios, Ben and Jerry's Smores ice cream, Jeni's Salted Caramel ice cream, Caramel M&Ms. And I'm not so good with potato chips, either.

And yeah, about that activity thing...I try really hard not to do that, because I tend to obsess on expensive hobbies. Used to be hockey, and motorcycling. These days it's board games. At least when I play MMOs, I can accumulate *virtual* stuff...
Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 PM

Cheese puffs and beef jerky.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Cheese puffs and beef jerky.
Oh...cheese puffs... yesssss...
Old 09-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Oh yes. I love stocking up on all the gear required for a new activity. As for the activity itself... well...
You're in a jewelry-making phase, yes?

The funnest part can be buying the accoutrement . . . I've been through woodworking, fossil hunting, metal detecting, mountain biking, kayaking, and stock investing over just the past 15 years.

I think we should start a Doper hobby supply exchange: "Metal detector, used twice, will exchange for beekeeper's hat veil, an ice ax, or beveled scrapbooking scissors."
Old 09-01-2018, 04:34 PM

"Buy two get one free."

I don't need two. I don't even need one! I really don't need six.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a good one. I've been known to spend quite a bit on a new hobby before I've even started. Then I do it for a while, then I'll really push myself for a while longer, but eventually it's all just sitting there. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have know the basics of a lot of the stuff I dove into, but some of those things got expensive, fast.
The worst part is, for some of them, I could probably go find small class and get a few hours of training from a pro and find that actually doing it right (instead of teaching myself) would spark my interest in it again.
Someday.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:22 PM

baby animals.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 PM

Baking. I do NOT bake often, for a very good reason. I could easily eat myself into a cake-coma.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
"Buy two get one free."

I don't need two. I don't even need one! I really don't need six.

Oh, cripes. This is me. Slap a sale sticker on it and I'm drawn like a moth to a flame.

I also have a closet half full of various craft supplies, all used a few times before being abandoned for something else. I'll get back to them some day...
Old 09-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Peppermint bark. I had to tell my wife not to buy any more of that; I like it way too much. I finally had to quit the game Township cold turkey. It was eating up too much of my life.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Most nuts, but pistachios are the reigning champs for making me lose any semblance of self control.

Sushi does a nice job on me, too.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Tomatoes and cheese. Pizza, lasagna, caprese, any food with that combination is a danger zone. Add garlic and I am utterly helpless.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:22 PM

Chewing gum.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:32 PM
born to be shunned

Speeding. I like to ride fast but with the way even safe roads are today and the fact that I don't heal like I used to and since speeding over that bridge brings about speeding off the bridge and speeding from the bridge for me ----- I strictly force myself to 10mph over the legal limit at the most.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
That's a good one. I've been known to spend quite a bit on a new hobby before I've even started. Then I do it for a while, then I'll really push myself for a while longer, but eventually it's all just sitting there. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have know the basics of a lot of the stuff I dove into, but some of those things got expensive, fast.
The worst part is, for some of them, I could probably go find small class and get a few hours of training from a pro and find that actually doing it right (instead of teaching myself) would spark my interest in it again.
Someday.
The thing is, I like that stage of learning something new, self learning in particular, usually more than I like doing it once I develop some expertise. Life does get in the way often but I do get back to most things eventually. Unfortunately I am losing the war against time now and there's a growing list of things I'll never get done or get back to.

I do like this sentiment I ran across recently though:
"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I will never die."

Last edited by TriPolar; 09-01-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Potato chips would be my food slippery slope but I understand what Thelma Lou is saying. My dogs and I meet my friend and her dogs Mon - Fri at 6am for a two mile hike no matter what the weather. We’ve missed only for 20 below zero weather, blizzard conditions and lightening. Thank goodness I have someone that’s waiting for me cuz it would be so easy to stay in bed for an extra hour especially come January. I could come up with all sorts of excused not to go and pretty soon I wouldn’t be going at all.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Brach's Jelly Bird Eggs...I can eat a whole bag in one sitting if I'm not careful.

Brach's Candy Corn...same as above.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 PM

Cars and motorcycles. I'd buy every one I wanted if I didn't "just say no".

Funny I should type this, because I bought one today.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:16 AM

Donuts. Any and all.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

I rise early, if I break the habit of walking my dog BEFORE beginning the daily activities that fill my morning, he gets walked later and later. More importantly I need to be deep into the habit before the onset of winter, or there will be a million good reasons not to pop right out and do it. I’m not the biggest fan of winter, bit of a hibernator, it would be too easy to wait for it to warm up a titch, etc, etc. Then it hangs over me all day and it seems a huge chore!

So at this time of the year, I am especially hardcore about sticking to the program.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poysyn View Post
Baking. I do NOT bake often, for a very good reason. I could easily eat myself into a cake-coma.

Yup, same.

I donít have a problem with NOT buying baked goods. Thatís fine. And if its not in the house I donít think about it or want it.

However, if I have a few bananas going bad and my husband suggests I make banana bread, I will then eat all of the banana bread.

He will buy chocolate and little cakes and things like that for his lunches. I will to ask him to take them all to work so I donít eat them.

He claims(in a joking manner) that itís a lack of self control. Which I agree with, but if I know I canít stop myself, and I know that if its not in the house I wonít have to stop myself, then thereís no problem. Right?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:35 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I've known many for whom it is skiing.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 AM

Lie-ins.

I only have to get up early two days a week for work at the moment, the rest of the week I'm not working til later, or I'm off. So if I had a poor night's sleep (or worked late, which also sometimes happens), I can just stay in bed for an extra hour.. or two. Or til 10... 11...

So of course my days when I have to get up early come round and my sleep patterns are all screwy, I can't get to sleep the night before, so I'm exhausted. Lucky I can lie in a bit the day after eh?
Old 09-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Me too. I can't seem to "do" any hobby moderately.

Hunting? First a rifle, then a single shot, then black powder, then a bow, then deer are boring so it's javelina, elk, antelope, mountain lion...

Flying? Oooh, a private license would be neat! But then it's Instrument, Multi-engine, Commercial, then Instructor, then Instrument instructor and eventually Part 135 qualified, then of course we need our own plane then....

Maybe water skiing, an old boat and some wal mart skis, right? But then it's slaloming, then custom fitted skis, then the course, then we need an AWSA-certified tournament tow boat, then a private lake, then barefooting, and wake-boarding then wake-surfing and on and on....

I recently took up fishing. As I began eyeing specialized boats my wife put her foot down, stating: "Fish don't know anything about boats."

Last edited by pullin; 09-02-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
baby animals.
Mmmmm, I hear ya. I love lamb and veal.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Cars and motorcycles. I'd buy every one I wanted if I didn't "just say no".

Funny I should type this, because I bought one today.
Funny you should mention this. I own three good bicycles, one of them very good. But I don't ride them. My parents would never let me have a bike when I was growing up. I bought my first bike with my own money when I was a senior in COLLEGE and rode it all the time. (I graduated in 1970, so that bike is long gone.) Think that might have something to do with it?

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Anything with chocolate and peanut butter.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Nicotine. I haven't smoked in 20 years but I know that if I would cave in and smoke just one cigar, I would be back as a full time smoker in less than a week.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Nicotine. I haven't smoked in 20 years but I know that if I would cave in and smoke just one cigar, I would be back as a full time smoker in less than a week.
That happened to me. I was in Mexico, buying beer. The shopkeeper was so helpful and such a nice guy that I told him to keep the change (might have been a buck). He wouldn't do it but I insisted, so he threw a couple of cigars in the bag. Took me another 10 years to break the habit. Again.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
That happened to me. I was in Mexico, buying beer. The shopkeeper was so helpful and such a nice guy that I told him to keep the change (might have been a buck). He wouldn't do it but I insisted, so he threw a couple of cigars in the bag. Took me another 10 years to break the habit. Again.
I never want to go through the first two weeks again. The withdrawal was awful!
Old 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
I never want to go through the first two weeks again. The withdrawal was awful!
From cigars? Really? I binge-smoke cigars most autumns for a week or three. I'll smoke one an evening sitting on various decks and around fire pits. Beer and cigars. Then it gets cold and I'm done till next year.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:23 PM

My slippery slope?

Weed, Good Beer, Hookers And Blow...

Only the first two count.

I kid sometimes ...or do I?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 PM

Food I am okay with, as T1 diabetic I have had a lifetime of doing without. Chocolate gets me though. I have to work it in to get any, so I am real careful. I would be a hoarder of all and sundry shit if I weren't watchful. I love my stuff. I like to collect. Mr.Wrekker says I have to have at least 3 of anything before I am satisfied. Usually it's more he just don't know it.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
a big bag of Hanover's Honey Mustard Pretzel Bits.
Ooh, aren't they good? There's supposed to be like 12 servings in a bag or something, but somehow it never lasts me more than a couple of days.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_carol View Post
Ooh, aren't they good? There's supposed to be like 12 servings in a bag or something, but somehow it never lasts me more than a couple of days.
12 servings, HA! In a pig's eye!

My book club is coming over on Wednesday, and I'm going shopping for snacks tomorrow. There will be six of us, and even if I put out half a bag, we won't even make a dent in it. There will be a lot left over... It would be the greater part of valor not to buy them at all. OTOH I haven't bought them in over a month. Or maybe it's only been two weeks... Suddenly the ground is feeling slippery.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-02-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:14 AM

I’m alcoholic and proved to myself that attempting to drink in moderation is impossible for me. Zero or I’m all in.

I’ve got that type of personality. My wife has a Twix in the fridge that she ate one of the two bars five weeks ago. The hell with that! I open a candy bar and it’s going to get eaten. Any snack food is like that for me.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Drugs and alcohol. One of the worst experiences in my life was being locked up and forced to take anti-depressants (to quote the person forcing me "That's not drugs. That's medication."). They destroyed 26 years of sobriety, made me bounce off the walls so bad they offered me a sedative, and left me damn near suicidal. How taking a drug....excuse me, medication for three days that takes four to six weeks to have any effect was supposed to help me? I don't know.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
One glass of wine.
Lately I've been pouring my evening's allotment into a measuring cup to remind me to stop at 10 ounces.

Foodwise, it's corn tortilla chips. It's best I don't have any at all.

I have also drawn a bright line when it comes to watching my weight. I have a five-pound range that's okay for me to be in, but when the scale hits the number at the top of that range, the diet begins. It would be all too easy to start thinking the next five-pound range was also okay, and then the next one, etc.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Lie-ins.

I only have to get up early two days a week for work at the moment, the rest of the week I'm not working til later, or I'm off.
My last job, some 10 years, I had the alarm set for 4am (somebody's got to attend to the east coasters). After I retired, for about two months I kept the alarm set so that the morning was:
Bzzzzzt! <slap>
It's 4am, and I don't have to get up!!
<broad smile>
ZZZZs

Bacon. I try not to indulge too much at buffets and such because of the grease factor but I do loves me some bacon. I had bottle of smoked bloody mary mix and had the brilliant idea of bacon in addition to the celery as garnish. I bought a package of Hormel pre-cooked bacon at CostCo. and put it in the refrigerator.

I think two of them wound up as garnish. The others kept calling to me, the little bastards.

Last edited by DesertDog; 09-05-2018 at 10:44 AM.