Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Jays Fan

What was the worst movie you ever really enjoyed?

Pretty much as per the OP. What was the worst movie you genuinely enjoyed watching? Not as in "har har I liked making fun of Battlefield Earth" but a movie you know was shit, but you liked it anyway?

I posted this just because I remembered "Last Man Standing," a movie with Bruce Willis in it. The movie is set in the Prohibition era and it's about Bruce Willis shooting a bunch of people. The movie was objectively stupid and gross, but I liked it anyway because Brice Willis shot a lot of people, Christopher Walken was very Christopher Walken, and Bruce Dern has a badass speech. Hell, I'd watch it again.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:55 PM

You probably like it subliminally because Yojimbo is such a great movie it resonates even in remakes.

For me, it's the last Twilight movie. Not sure why, but I watch it whenever it's on.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:58 PM

Howard the Duck.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Pretty much as per the OP. What was the worst movie you genuinely enjoyed watching? Not as in "har har I liked making fun of Battlefield Earth" but a movie you know was shit, but you liked it anyway?

I posted this just because I remembered "Last Man Standing," a movie with Bruce Willis in it. The movie is set in the Prohibition era and it's about Bruce Willis shooting a bunch of people. The movie was objectively stupid and gross, but I liked it anyway because Brice Willis shot a lot of people, Christopher Walken was very Christopher Walken, and Bruce Dern has a badass speech. Hell, I'd watch it again.
I liked Last Man Standing also, but I've only seen it once. Sometimes a bad-to-mediocre movie will hit you just right. I saw Stealing Home back when it came out and thought it was great - and it is a great idea for a movie. It had Mark Harmon, Jodie Foster, and a great plot hook. I saw it again a few years ago, and it really isn't very good.

On the other hand, I've seen Condorman several times. Most people don't seem to like it. I think it's a great piece of entertainment. Not Bergman or anything, but fine Saturday afternoon with the kids fare.

ETA: Rick, I re-watched Howard a year ago. I had fond memories of it, too. It has it's moments ("Release the small waterfowl!") but it loses momentum and falls flat in the last third or so.

Last edited by StusBlues; 09-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Plan 9 from outer space as a comedy
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM

"I'm the monster's mother."

Alien:Resurrection is not the worst Alien movie made. That honor goes to Covenant. I even kinda like the Predator movie with Sanaa Lathan.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Krull
Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Madhouse is every bit as bad as they claim, but somehow also hilarious.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I know that The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension is a low budget collection of fan wank...but I love it anyway, from the initial testing of the Oscillation Overthruster to the Buckaroo Strut during the end credits.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post

I didn't exactly like Last Mas Standing, but I did like the look of it and the music. And Bruce Willis was pretty cool in it. Yeah, if it were on TV one night, I'd watch it again.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:23 PM

It's a tough question. If it's a horrible movie and you enjoy it, is it still a horrible movie? After all, it was entertaining, even if it wasn't in the way the director intended.

I laughed my ass off at Mom and Dad Save the World. Not a great movie, typical of its time, but it resonated with me.

Even without Rifftrax commentary, Plan 9 from Outer Space is a fun watch.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

More than I can count. I would have trouble ranking them.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Last Man Standing was begotten from the Japanese Samurai Movie Yojimbo (as Mr. Dibble noted), with A Fistful of Dollars acting as midwife. And all of them are worth watching, IMHO.

As for the OP, another Bruce Willis film that the critics (and filmgoers) hated on, Hudson Hawk. If you take it as a comedy instead of an all-action film, it's quite watchable (YMMV).
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM

many people disliked Cloud Atlas but I liked it
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 PM

Little Nicky. A not-well-regarded Adam Sandler movie, but I thought it had a lot of very clever touches. They don't make it a great movie, but they raise it to a good level of watchability.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Plan 9 from outer space as a comedy
In that category, mine is The Killer Shrews. Quite funny. And the "shrews" are just dogs in latex "shrew" suits who obviously just want to lick the cast to death.

I actually saw it before it was MST3K.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I know that The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension is a low budget collection of fan wank...but I love it anyway, from the initial testing of the Oscillation Overthruster to the Buckaroo Strut during the end credits.
Are there people that don't love Buckaroo Banzai? America truly is the land of the philistines. The freaking cast is awesome, probably eight well-known, well-regarded actors.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
No.NO.NOOOO!

I love this movie. I'm so sad the sequel hinted at during the Buckaroo Strut (love that) in the credits never happened.

We quote Emilio Lizard ALL the time. "Laugh while you can, monkey boy."

And who was the monkey boy????
Old 09-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
Are there people that don't love Buckaroo Banzai? America truly is the land of the philistines. The freaking cast is awesome, probably eight well-known, well-regarded actors.
I think it's the watermelon scene that pulls the whole movie together.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Michael J Fox, Helen Slater and Margaret Whitton in Secret to My Success.

A very silly 80's comedy. I saw it a dozen times on cable tv. Love the sound track and silliness. There's a hilarious parody of The Graduate scene between older woman Margaret Whitton and Fox.

Mannequin with Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrell is another silly 80's comedy that I like.
A stock boy and a mannequin that comes to life at night? What's not to like?

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM

My answer is Hitman: Agent 47.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to try to convince you to give it a try, because it's objectively a boring movie. There's plenty of movies considered bad I will defend and claim them to be actually good (Deathstalker II anybody?) and this is not the case.
But what it isn't is a 9% rotten at rottentomatoes. That's ridiculous.
Because it has good parts. Plenty of boring and forgettable ones too, but it has some good parts. Starting with the lead actors, Rupert Friend and Zachary Quinto, who are talented and charismatic. And the whole thing the movie does at the start, where you're not sure which one is the hero and which one is the villain is quite adorable.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:31 PM

I will continue to watch Phil Hartman and Sinbad in Houseguest forever until I die.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

The bad movie that I enjoyed the most would be The Fifth Element. Somehow, it just manages to be fun, I think mostly due to the cast doing a great job of enjoying themselves.

But I don't think that's quite the answer to the OP, because I'm pretty sure there are other movies which are even worse, and which I still found enjoyable, even if not as much as TFE.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:41 PM

Mentions of Kurosawa make me consider Battle Beyond the Stars for that spot. There are plenty of bad movies that I can hate-watch, but BBtS I genuinely like.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I thought Schwarznegger's much panned and derided movie "Last Action Hero" was actually pretty good.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:48 PM

Hudson Hawk did not go over well, but it was a lot of fun. Bruce Willis, Andie Mc Dowell speaking dolphin, Danny Aiello.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
...There's plenty of movies considered bad I will defend and claim them to be actually good (Deathstalker II anybody?) ...
I agree about Deathstalker II. It was a bad, no-budget movie that knew it was a bad, no-budget movie, and decided to have fun with it. Not all of the actors were quite in on it, but for the most part, they all seemed to be having a genuinely good time, and the sense of fun carries to the audience. It's legitimately funny when it tries to be funny, which is most of the time.

I remember liking John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars" when it first came out. I re-watched it on DVD years later...and it was bad. There were a few specific touches that I liked, and apparently I cut the movie a lot of slack because of that. In re-watching it, it's just slow, and not nearly as fun as I remembered.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder during a movie than when I watched "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li", but that wasn't supposed to be a comedy, so I suppose that it falls under "har har I liked making fun of Battlefield Earth", except I didn't thank Battlefield Earth was "so bad it was good" - I just found it boring.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Well, Rotten Tomatoes only ranks The Boondock Saints at 20%-Critics (this number has climbed slowly over the years; IIRC, it was <10% for many years), I still enjoy the hell out of it.

FWIW, I think of it more as a screwball comedy than anything else.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I often enjoy bad movies. Hard to pick just one.

Waterworld. It's a Mad Max movie on boats. If the studio spent too much money on it, that's not my problem.

Lifeforce, starring Mathilda May's breasts, and a bunch of British actors. (Oh, yeah, and one gratuitous American, who is ostensibly the lead role of the film, yet makes Raymond Burr's contributions to Godzilla look vital to the plot.)

The 1990 version of Captain America, which butchers the mythos, yet which has Ronny Cox playing an awesome president of the U.S.A.

KISS meets the Phantom of the Park. (Granted, I was nine years old at the time.)

Probably the absolute worst was the Roger Corman version of The Fantastic Four. Of course it sucked. But it could have sucked a lot worse.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM

Sin City. Fun to look at, but not exactly Citizen Cane.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 PM

I liked Aeon Flux
Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Destroy All Monsters
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Sin City. Fun to look at, but not exactly Citizen Cane.
Not Citizen Cane, true. But also unlike CC, I actually want to watch Sin City. I love it! One of the few comic movies I don't hate.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:07 PM

My usual answer for these threads about guilty pleasures/bad movies is "Congo".
Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM

"Soapdish", starring Sally Field, was critically panned but I enjoyed it. It's formatted like a soap opera; what do you expect?
Old 09-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<scowls> You take that back! Buckaroo Banzai is NOT a bad movie. It's a GREAT movie. </s>

Darren Garrison, I also liked Battle Beyond the Stars. Robert Vaughn was smooooth, and from time to time I'll find myself saying something along the lines of "Live fast, fight hard, and have a beautiful death." I'm probably misquoting it. And to this day I'm not sure if The Last Starfighter is considered a good movie or not, but damn, I loved it. I particularly liked the interactions between Lance Guest and Dan O'Herlihy.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
On the other hand, I've seen Condorman several times. Most people don't seem to like it. I think it's a great piece of entertainment. Not Bergman or anything, but fine Saturday afternoon with the kids fare.
Wow. Someone else has seen Condorman. I thought it was decent, but nowhere near as good as the book.

I really enjoy Ishtar, but I wouldn't consider it a bad movie. A bit uneven, but some great scenes.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Another vote for Hudson Hawk. It's my perennial answer to this question.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Robin Hood - the one with Kevin Costner.

Critically panned film but the late Alan Rickman was the best scene-chewing sheriff in any of the Robin Hood films - fight me.

Morgan Freeman doing a yeoman's job.

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio - lovely.

Snappy dialog - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102798/quotes
Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Zorro, The Gay Blade is my all-time favorite superhero movie.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
No.NO.NOOOO!

I love this movie. I'm so sad the sequel hinted at during the Buckaroo Strut (love that) in the credits never happened.

We quote Emilio Lizard ALL the time. "Laugh while you can, monkey boy."

And who was the monkey boy????
You got to say it with the "a" after "laugh", as in "Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy." Said to Jonathan Banks , also known as Mike Ermentraut, Frank McPike, and Zone Trooper Nuveen Kroll.

Oh, my pick. "The Postman".
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

It's not very good but damned if I don't enjoy it.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Last Man Standing was begotten from the Japanese Samurai Movie Yojimbo (as Mr. Dibble noted), with A Fistful of Dollars acting as midwife. And all of them are worth watching, IMHO.
You neglected The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984), yet another remake best known for the female lead playing the whole film topless and a four-breasted extra.

The Creeping Terror (1964) is arguably worse than Plan 9.... The one and only time (decades ago) I ever sat through the whole thing was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences of my life.

Legend of Liquid Sword (1993) is a Hong Kong film produced and directed by Wong Jing, maker of some of the most outlandish, imaginative and irritatingly goofy movies ever made. I saw this one twice. From an IMDB review: "This is a fantasy action movie set in ancient China, where a swordsman named Fragrant Chu (Aaron Kwok) seeks the legendary liquid sword to battle an evil warlock dubbed Batman (Ji-Wai Lau)."

The Fountainhead (1949) is simply terrible by any objective standard. I have enjoyed it at least half-a-dozen times.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:04 PM

Gummo.

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
The Fountainhead (1949) is simply terrible by any objective standard. I have enjoyed it at least half-a-dozen times.
Loved the book, but I agree it was a bad film. It really needs to be remade.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Mars Attacks is at 52% on Rotten Tomatoes, and even the reviews that liked it tended to only barely like it IIRC. But I loved its silly goober self.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Hansel & Gretel : Witch Hunters

Thought it had good f/x, the fight editing was imaginative and clearly shot, kept the light story moving.
Sure the idea was stupid but they took the idea and executed it awesomely. I always applaud a move that succeeds in what it sets out to be.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Loved the book, but I agree it was a bad film. It really needs to be remade.
Michael Cimino wanted to do this, but United Artists turned him down, claiming it would lack audience appeal and be too expensive.

Soon afterward, they gave the green light to Heaven's Gate. DUH!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

The problem I always have with such threads is thinking, "Wait a minute; people think that's an awful film?"

Mom And Dad Save The World and Little Nicky are both amusing enough that I'll watch them if they're on. Soapdish is an nice parody of the soap opera genre. (A John Candy film called Delirious covers some of the same territory.)

And The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films of all time. It's a great combination of comedy and action with some really nice set design.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 09-06-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Journey to the Seventh Planet is a pretty bad movie, but I've always liked it, and not just for its big Swedish boobies.

Monster Zero, just to hear Nick Adams say "What have you done with our spaceship?"

Land of the Pharaohs, especially the scene where the high priest is showing the young hero dude around the inside of the pyramid.

Last edited by terentii; 09-06-2018 at 08:28 PM.