Old 09-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Can you fit a 9'6" surfboard in a Nissan Leaf?

Apparently you can fit a 9'6" in a Chevy Bolt. I don't particularly want a Chevy, and I have to drive a considerable distance to go surf my 9'6". Roof racks apparently murder range in electric vehicles, so if I could cram my stick in the cabin, then getting a 2019 Leaf might be a reasonable option. Obviously, there are other considerations as well.

Thanks, guys.

https://www.surfer.com/blogs/surfer-...17-chevy-bolt/

https://www.theinertia.com/environme...e-for-surfers/
Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 PM

I don't think so. An 8 foot kayak barely fits in my RAV4 and a Leaf is smaller than the RAV4. You can always take the surfboard to the Nissan dealer and try it out as long as it's clean they won't mind
Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

The Bolt has a large cabin for a vehicle of its size. I think it'll be difficult to find the same space in a vehicle of similar size. Have you considered a hybrid SUV?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:54 PM

Is it legal to have it protrude out the back window, if you get a car with a hatchback window that winds down?

Last edited by Riemann; 09-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:13 PM

If it were to protrude out the back window, you'd generate turbulence and the range would drop off again. I think it needs to be inside the cabin to maintain range.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:19 PM

It might fit - I have a smaller car than the Leaf and I am often surprised at what I can fit in there - surprisingly long loads can be threaded through the rear hatch and into the front passenger footwell (with the front passenger seat reclined).

I reckon you need to take your board to the showroom and try it out - quite apart from the length that will fit between the rear window and the front of the passenger footwell, you also need to consider the width of the board - if it fits, but restricts the arm movement of the driver, it's no good.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:30 PM

just parked next to a leaf, its about 6 feet long inside so no way you fit that surfboard in it
Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Where are you? I'll be right over with my stick, we can wait for the driver to come back and see if we can talk them into a test run.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:48 PM

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7368

This guy say he has 10' PVC pipe with the hatch closed, so that's getting there.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 PM

wheelbase is 8.8 feet but part of that distance is outside the passenger compartment - under the hood.

PVC pipe is very narrow so it can be put in across the car much more easily.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Gonna have to ditch the longboard oldtimer.

Or get a collapsible board.

Last edited by steatopygia; 09-07-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 AM

Can you use foam pads or blocks and just strap it to the roof? At least it is not permanent like racks.

Last edited by snowthx; 09-08-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 AM

If you don't want to try this at a dealership, it may be worth renting one for a day to try it out.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:04 PM

If they won't let you put the actual surf board into a car that isn't yours... go to the local hardware store and buy a 2x4 10 feet long and ask them to cut it to the same length as your board. Then sand the edges so there aren't any splinters. Carry the 2x4 to the dealership and see how it fits. Remember your board is wider, but length is the main concern.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 PM

OP, I think you should just ask a dealer if you can try it out. This seems like the whole reason dealerships exist. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't accommodate you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Is it legal to have it protrude out the back window, if you get a car with a hatchback window that winds down?
I don't think I've ever seen a hatchback with a rear window that winds down. Some wagons had roll down rear windows but those aren't quite the same thing. I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunny8 View Post
If they won't let you put the actual surf board into a car that isn't yours... go to the local hardware store and buy a 2x4 10 feet long and ask them to cut it to the same length as your board. Then sand the edges so there aren't any splinters. Carry the 2x4 to the dealership and see how it fits. Remember your board is wider, but length is the main concern.
If they aren't willing to let him put his surf board in, why would they allow the 2x4? Furthermore, the 2x4 isn't going to be a good proxy for a surfboard. The surfboard is a lot less flexible and the width means you can't route it through the passenger compartment the same way you could thread a 2x4. I'm guessing the PVC pipe mentioned went from the passenger-side footwell, through the gap between the front seats and diagonally back into the hatch. I don't think a surf board would fit the same
way.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Nothing says California like surfing and fussy, I'm-saving-the-environment cars. Here is your chance to gain immortality by combining the two. If the 9-6 board won't fit, play around with some designs until it does fit. Maybe it needs to be 3" shorter or 1 1/2" narrower in certain spots.

Then get a local surfboard building dude to make one. If it works, name them after yourself and sell 'em.

Or at least try it on top. Don't use a rack. Figure out a way to hold it tight to the top. Little clips on the side. Magnets. Quinoa. Paper mache holster made from old Obama posters. Get creative. Surfboards look pretty aerodynamic to me.

Or - two piece board! https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/2-piece-surfboards

Dennis
Old 09-10-2018, 05:30 PM

If you're in California, you might look into the eGolf; this review indicates it has a lot of variously-sized cargo space without, unfortunately, specifying maximum length.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-7

hm, California might not be the requirement it used to be... when they first announced it, they said it would only be available in California.

Last edited by Ethilrist; 09-10-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: I like string
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM

I have to say this has been a most enjoyable, somewhat absurdist discussion. To clarify a few points:

1. I live in British Columbia. You can really only surf on Vancouver Island, and Tofino works for me. If you look a google maps, you'll note that from the turnoff from Highway 19 near Parksville, there's a dearth of services, with few gas stations, much less recharging stations. Scenic Port Alberni is the main stop. It can be a sketchy enough trip with a gas car if you've forgotten to fuel up. Using an electric car looks doable, but I'm worried that any loss of range due to wind resistance could switch is from - "it's a long trip" to "you're stuck charging for ages" or "you're stuck on the side of a terrifying mountain road, or worse, stuck in the middle of a terrifying mountain road, waiting for the tow truck". FWIW, I don't live near a dealer - it would be a loooooong trip, again, with a surfboard on my current vehicle - to test out the sizing. That's why I thought I'd start with y'all.

2. I am considering or have considered various other solutions, such as
(a) sucking it up and driving a gas car,
(b) sucking it up and getting a rack and maybe sitting at the recharging station for ages
(c) sucking it up and getting a hybrid,
(d) getting a shorter, or modular board,
(e) renting a storage space closer to my surf spot for my board,
(f) making a friend who lives near my spot, then abusing that friendship by storing my board in their garage
(g) having a secret, alternate family that lives near my surf spot, who only find out after my death that the only reason they are a family is so that I could store my board at my second family's house - that might be tough on the kids
(h) moving and changing careers so that I have a gig that will allow me to live near my spot.
(i) getting rich and moving to Hawaii.

That said, I'm not stoked about buying another gas powered car, and I'm not stoked about buying another board. I like my board. This is why I'm trying to check out this other question about fitting it in a electric car.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 PM

Get a Chevy Volt. Electric for 95% of your around-town driving. Uses gas economically for limitless range. Prices aren't too bad, they look decent and they seem to have pretty good cargo space. You might have to leave the hatchback open to get the surfboard in but you'll make it to the beach without needing to recharge.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 PM

(j) Wait for VW van to make a comeback.

http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/futu...-its-electric/
Old 09-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

The electric VW van isn't scheduled to arrive until 2022. I wouldn't count on that either. VW has been teasing North America for years.

The Volt really is your answer at this time. Mostly electric, with a gas generator.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 AM

I have a 2018 Leaf and a paddle board that is just over 10'. I've never tried fitting the board inside, but I can give it a try when I get home. Unfortunately, that won't be until this weekend. Post to this thread if I forget.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS94 View Post
If you don't want to try this at a dealership, it may be worth renting one for a day to try it out.
Why would I want to spend money to find out from a simple test that you don't want a car? One doesn't even need the keys, just an unlocked car. That's the whole purpose of a showroom.

I did this before I bought my current vehicle. One of the requirements was that I could get a bike in the back with only one side of the split rear seat seat down (so that I could take two passengers/three bikes). I went to the dealer w/ my bike, told them what I wanted to do, tried it, & then left because it didn't fit. Didn't give them any info (name, phone #, email, etc) & they didn't even ask for it either.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I have a 2018 Leaf and a paddle board that is just over 10'. I've never tried fitting the board inside, but I can give it a try when I get home. Unfortunately, that won't be until this weekend. Post to this thread if I forget.
So I surf a 9'6", but would probably leave my board cover on if possible (keeping imaginary car tidy). Thanks for this experiment.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Why would I want to spend money to find out from a simple test that you don't want a car? One doesn't even need the keys, just an unlocked car. That's the whole purpose of a showroom.

I did this before I bought my current vehicle. One of the requirements was that I could get a bike in the back with only one side of the split rear seat seat down (so that I could take two passengers/three bikes). I went to the dealer w/ my bike, told them what I wanted to do, tried it, & then left because it didn't fit. Didn't give them any info (name, phone #, email, etc) & they didn't even ask for it either.
Again, problem with this is that I live in a somewhat isolated area, and going to the dealer - with my surfboard - would be a fairly major project. Hence my attempt to outsource the question to dopers.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired and Cranky View Post
Get a Chevy Volt. Electric for 95% of your around-town driving. Uses gas economically for limitless range. Prices aren't too bad, they look decent and they seem to have pretty good cargo space. You might have to leave the hatchback open to get the surfboard in but you'll make it to the beach without needing to recharge.
Again, leaving the hatchback open for a 200 km trip down twisty mountain roads is not optimal. Rather than do that, I'd go with racks, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Wait, there's a Chevy VOLT and a Chevy BOLT? What? Why? Don't they pay people to make up distinctive names?

I haven't driven an American car since the POS Saturn. Is Chevy any good? I mean, I've driven the hell out of couple of Toyotas and a Honda though.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Again, leaving the hatchback open for a 200 km trip down twisty mountain roads is not optimal. Rather than do that, I'd go with racks, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Wait, there's a Chevy VOLT and a Chevy BOLT? What? Why? Don't they pay people to make up distinctive names?

I haven't driven an American car since the POS Saturn. Is Chevy any good? I mean, I've driven the hell out of couple of Toyotas and a Honda though.
Yeah, the naming is horrible. The Bolt is the pure electric car. Up to 238 miles of range, which would probably cover your needs and the car magazines report that it will really go that far. It's probably the best of the cheap electric cars (Leaf, imaginary base Tesla 3, Chevy Spark EV, Honda Fit EV, etc.) today.

The Volt is a plug-in hybrid. It will run on pure electricity for up to 53 miles (count on perhaps 45 in the real world) and another 350 miles on its small gas tank. I think it gets around 45 mpg running purely on gas. Because it has a gas engine, you can just pump in more gas if the roof rack reduces your electric range. It's a bit longer than than the Bolt, so if the Bolt could hold your surfboard with the hatch closed, the Volt probably could too but I haven't actually checked either.

As for quality, the Volt is roughly average for a new car. The good news is that new cars today are all light years ahead of cars from two decades ago in quality and the differences in quality between major manufacturers aren't as great as they used to be. If you avoid any of the worst quality manufacturers today, you will probably get a fine car. Anecdotally, my friend just exchanged her last-generation Chevy Volt on a Tesla 3. She says that the Tesla doesn't feel as well built as the old Volt. Other than the big screen on the Tesla, the interior isn't nicer. The Tesla is a lot quicker off the line though, which is fun for her. It also costs a lot more than the Bolt. She didn't seriously consider a Bolt because it was too ugly and, IMHO, she is a snob who really wanted a Tesla to show off.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Consumer Reports says GM reliability isn't great, but the Bolt is their most reliable model.

I have a colleague who switched from a Prius to a Bolt and is very happy with it. I don't usually buy American cars but I love my 2013 Volt (bought used last year).

Last edited by scr4; 09-11-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Consumer Reports says GM reliability isn't great, but the Bolt is their most reliable model.

I have a colleague who switched from a Prius to a Bolt and is very happy with it. I don't usually buy American cars but I love my 2013 Volt (bought used last year).
I also switched from a Prius to a Bolt early in 2017. My parents had Chevies when I was growing up, which means I know what pieces of junk they used to be. So far, my Bolt is beating my expectations. It's an excellent car. The only problems I've had is the center console sometimes "hangs". But it's auto-rebooted after 60 seconds or so, and it's happened only once since they did a firmware upgrade. The center console runs the audio and air, not the driving.

Range is as advertised. I can easily go over 200 miles. Range is even better if you do things like 1) don't run the air conditioner, 2) keep the windows up, 3) set the cruise control, 4) stay under 50 mph, 5) don't use the friction brake. I also use the hilltop reserve to only charge it up to 80% most days; only fully charging before a long trip. That helps the battery cells have better charge-discharge cycles.

Any way, when I start my commute in the morning, the car reports a range of 180-200 miles when it's 80% charged, which means I've had little battery degradation after a year and half. There's some variability because the car adjusts its reported range based on your driving habits.

The inside is large for a small car. Back seats get more leg room in the Bolt than in my spouses Lexus RX SUV. Plenty of head room, too.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Another thing, the Leaf has air-cooled batteries which may cause them to degrade faster. Tesla and Chevy use water-cooled batteries.

The Leaf seems to have a reputation for battery degradation, but that may just be because it uses the full capacity of the battery, and therefore any degradation shows up as reduced range. I think GM and Tesla use a smaller fraction of the battery capacity, so even when the battery is degraded, the car gets the same range. The Volt is the more conservative design, using only about 2/3 of the battery capacity. Which explains why my 2013 Volt still gets the rated electric range. (Though it depends on the time of year - it's rated for 38 miles, we get 42 miles in warm weather without AC, 36 miles in winter with heat on.)

Last edited by scr4; 09-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
The electric VW van isn't scheduled to arrive until 2022. I wouldn't count on that either. VW has been teasing North America for years.

The Volt really is your answer at this time. Mostly electric, with a gas generator.
Chrysler has the Pacifica PHEV minivan available right now, not in 2022. It has an electric range of 33 miles (not as much as the Volt's 53, but still enough for most people's daily driving) and a gasoline motor like the Volt. And, yes it will DEFINITELY hold a 9'6" surfboard.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
This is your Friday "Don't forget to try to stick your board in your car" reminder.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:08 AM

I tested it out, and I think you're good. But to be safe, I have to say the results were inconclusive.

My paddleboard is 10'2". The Leaf interior is 8' from the back to the dash, and 9'11" to the windshield. I squeezed the board in as far as I could and I was about 6 inches from being able to close the back. I'm guessing my board is wider and thicker than a surfboard, so I *think* your 9'6" board would fit. But it depends on your board's geometery and it would be close.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I tested it out, and I think you're good. But to be safe, I have to say the results were inconclusive.

My paddleboard is 10'2". The Leaf interior is 8' from the back to the dash, and 9'11" to the windshield. I squeezed the board in as far as I could and I was about 6 inches from being able to close the back. I'm guessing my board is wider and thicker than a surfboard, so I *think* your 9'6" board would fit. But it depends on your board's geometery and it would be close.
Thanks, I really appreciate you doing that. I know your family and friends were probably watching you and asking, "why is he trying to fit that giant paddle board in that car, it will never fit, what a kook."

So you've risked your reputation for sanity for me, and I appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:18 PM

[As I'm trying to squeeze it in.]

Wife: You're doing this why?
Me: I told some guy I'd see if it would fit.
Wife: Oh, a friend?
Me: Not exactly. I don't know the person.
Wife: ...
Wife: You're doing this why?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Beeeen there. Took my whole family to a glassblower's to check out something for a doper. That was actually pretty cool though.