Obscure Joe Jackson Cover Song

Maybe one of you Dopers can help me out. Remember in the late 80’s when Michelob ran those Ridley-Scott directed series of commercials under the theme “the Night Belongs to Michelob”? Sure you do - they invariably had a helicopter-shot view of a skyline dominated by mirrored buildings - lovingly captured by the director of Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. One of them had Ol’ Blue Eyes singing “The Way you Look Tonight” to some waif-like hottie.

Here’s the challenge: another one of them - I only saw it a couple of times myself - had Joe Jackson doing a cover of any old fifties/sixties tune called “Nighttime” (it was also covered by the J. Geils Band on “Love Stinks”). Just to refresh your memory, the first verse goes like this:

Get up in the morning kick the covers from my bed
Sunlight in my eyes playin’ tricks with my head
Work like a dog at my job every day
Tryin’ to get some money so’s that I can go in play in the

Nighttime - it’s the right time
the Nighttime - it’s the right time
I wanna beeee with yoouuuuuuuu - in the Nighttime (etc…)

I would love to get a copy of JJ’s version of this song. I tried his official website and there’s no record of him doing it. I suppose there is a chance that it was someone else - it has been over 10 years - but I remember distinctly hearing the song and saying - “wow that’s Joe Jackson”.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks, WordMan

Why do I think George Thoroughgood and the Delaware Destroyers did this? Yet another cover?

Yes, George and the Destroyers did a cover of it also.

I can’t find anything recorderd of JJ doing it either. But I do remember the commercials though

And we finally have an answer.

Apparently, this song was originally done by The Strangeloves and was written by Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer.

Things I learned from this search. “Night Time” was also done by Bauhaus.

Oops, sorry. Make that a partial answer. I found out who wrote it, not who did the Michelob version.

As you were…

I must have the Bauhaus version! Anyone know of an album it’s on?

So I started this thread in 2001. Didn’t get an answer and promptly forgot it.

For some reason, tonight I thought about the song again. So I Googled “YouTube Michelob Joe Jackson” - and I found it! Link to mobile version:

I haven’t heard it in 25 years, but it was exactly as I remembered it - pretty funny, and featuring the supermodel Tatiana Patitz (sp?) as a bonus.

What’s really funny is that when I did the search, the 2nd or so result was the commercial clip; the 5th or so result? This SDMB thread - I couldn’t even remember if I started a thread and there it was…

Moderator Action

Let’s shuffle this zombie over to Cafe Society (just in time for Halloween too).

Moving thread from General Questions to Cafe Society.

I just realized: I first posted this the day before 9/11. Surreal.