Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,408

In Defense of Quidditch


Every so often, people complain about quidditch (the wizarding sport from the Harry Potter books) being illogical. I'd like to say a few words in its defense.

Now, I'm not going to try to argue that it makes sense. Honestly, it actually doesn't. But that's what makes it realistic, because Muggle sports don't make sense, either. And in fact, everything that people criticize about quidditch either has an analogue in Muggle sports, or is due to a misinterpretation.

Point by point:

There's a useless extra zero in the scores
Quaffle goals are each worth 10 points, and the Golden Snitch is worth 150. Why not make them 1 and 15 instead? I don't know. But is that really any worse than a sport where the score goes love-15-30-40-game, instead of 0-1-2-3-4? Probably not. At least in quidditch, they're always worth the same amount, instead of sometimes being 15 and sometimes 10.

The Golden Snitch has way too much weight in the scoring, making the Seeker way too important
In the few Hogwarts games we've seen, maybe. But that's just because Harry is much better than most players his age. By comparison, if you had a high school pitcher who was much better than average, you might think that there's nothing to baseball beyond strikeouts, but that's far from the truth. We're told that it's quite normal for a quidditch game to last the better part of a day, or even multiple days. That's plenty of time for a team to rack up a lead much greater than 15 quaffle goals. And in fact, in the one quidditch game we see where Harry isn't playing, one team does in fact build up a lead that large, and so ends up winning, despite the other team's seeker being better.

Speaking of that World Cup game, no real player would be so unsportsmanlike to end the game when his team was losing
That depends on the culture of the game, as "sportsmanlike" can have completely different or even opposite meanings in different games. Take chess, for example: Almost all high-level chess games end when the two players agree to end them, and it's considered a serious breach of etiquette for a player to not concede once it's apparent that he's losing. Maybe a similar sense of sportsmanship holds among quidditch players.

It's way too dangerous
Certainly the game is not without its risks, but remember that in addition to spells to make broomsticks and bludgers fly, there are also spells to slow the fall of a player, and to instantly mend most injuries. With standard magical precautions in place, there's no reason for the game to be any more dangerous than American football, and probably a fair bit less.

Any other objections I missed, or counter-rebuttals to my rebuttals?
__________________
Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
--As You Like It, III:ii:328
Check out my dice in the Marketplace
  #2  
Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,556
I pretty much am OK with the game, but I do think that Krum ending the game when they were losing was terrible.
  #3  
Old 12-09-2018, 08:48 PM
AK84 is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,086
A World Cup Final no less.
  #4  
Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Mahaloth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 地球
Posts: 29,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
A World Cup Final no less.
Yeah. But they have a seeker who is still in school, like 3 years older than Harry. And he is their national seeker. Im not buying it.
  #5  
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 36,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yeah. But they have a seeker who is still in school, like 3 years older than Harry. And he is their national seeker. Im not buying it.
Bob Feller was still in high school when he first pitched in the majors.
Jim Ryun ran in the Olympics in the summer between his junior and senior years in high school.
  #6  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 AM
AK84 is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yeah. But they have a seeker who is still in school, like 3 years older than Harry. And he is their national seeker. Im not buying it.
Pele was 17 when he scored in the 1958 FIFA WC Final.
Mbappe was 18 this year.
  #7  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 AM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,342
1) In a real world sport, no one would give two figs about high school level play.

2) The rules should only fall apart in professional league play, because they were developed and codified back when the sport was still young and everyone who played it was just having fun and was sort of crap at it. With quidditch, that has already happened at the junior level, with all of the roles becoming redundant except the Seekers (similar to how, in professional baseball, everyone except the pitcher is mildly ancillary). We shouldn't see that sort of flaw at the junior level. The game should be balanced so that all roles are equally important when played by high school students. It shouldn't be until professional play that we start to see unbalanced strategies and play styles that make most of the rules moot.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 12-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.
  #8  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 AM
Sangahyando is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,314
Re this thread, plus Quidditch content of the one about Slytherin which spawned it: I have a theory, which I periodically trot out on SDMB, to the effect that J.K. Rowling -- like myself -- dislikes sports, and is bored by them. In Quidditch, she has dreamed up a basically insane sport, which barely "works" at all; but which nonetheless has hordes of obsessed and super-enthusiastic followers, many of them super-knowledgeable about all aspects of the game and its players. (I love the passage in one of the books which has -- of all people -- Luna Lovegood, certainly not a "sporty" type, as commentator on a Quidditch match in progress: her commentary is splendidly irrelevant to the proceedings.)
  #9  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Cheesesteak's Avatar
Cheesesteak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 13,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
There's a useless extra zero in the scores


The Golden Snitch has way too much weight in the scoring, making the Seeker way too important

Speaking of that World Cup game, no real player would be so unsportsmanlike to end the game when his team was losing

It's way too dangerous

Any other objections I missed, or counter-rebuttals to my rebuttals?
#1 & #4, completely irrelevant complaints against the game.

#3 is also not a valid complaint. When games are hopelessly out of reach professional teams routinely allow the game to end without trying to score additional points, or with the game.

#2, however, is my main complaint, it is a valid complaint, and renders the sport unworkable as a competitive endeavor. Catching the snitch is worth both 15x a normal score, and ends the game immediately. There are 6 other players on the team who are playing with the quaffle. Beating each other up, flying like madmen, all in the effort to score what is essentially a nit in comparison to catching the snitch, a job where exactly one player is assigned. A player, mind you, who is playing a game seemingly unrelated in any way to the game his 6 teammates are playing.

We're playing a team game passing a ball around playing offense and defense, trying to score or prevent scores, and the key to actually winning and losing is a game of hide and seek played by two players uninvolved in the other part of the game.

The point of the rules of Quidditch is to create a scenario where Harry is the hero, NOT to develop a game structure that makes objective sense.
  #10  
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM
asterion is offline
Just Some Guy
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 11,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Pele was 17 when he scored in the 1958 FIFA WC Final.
Mbappe was 18 this year.
Sure, you'll see it in international soccer, and even occasional talk of young soccer prospects in the US. But you don't see it in the major American professional sports and the last two big names I can think of that people were paying attention to in high school were both in basketball with Kobe and LeBron. Nobody really bypasses the minors in baseball these days, college is basically a requirement for the NFL, and the NBA has the one-and-done rule that keeps high schoolers from being drafted. The NHL probably has the closest, with the 18-20 criteria meaning most would be drafted while playing college or junior league hockey.

As others have said, it's not a game designed to make sense. Without the snitch, it's a perfectly fine goal-oriented game that only needs a time limit. The snitch exists purely to make the protagonist a hero.
  #11  
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM
The Other Waldo Pepper is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Pele was 17 when he scored in the 1958 FIFA WC Final.
Mbappe was 18 this year.
Michael Phelps broke world records at 15 and 16 and 17, and he was still in his teens when he of course won half-a-dozen Olympic gold medals.

Last edited by The Other Waldo Pepper; 12-10-2018 at 08:35 AM.
  #12  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,932
Cheesesteak already made every point I was going to, up to and including the fact that JKR made up the sport just so Harry could have something to be a star at.
  #13  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,408
Sage Rat, I'm confused. First, you say that no one should care about high school level play (except, presumably, the high schoolers themselves). And then you say that the rules should be balanced around high school level play, even though nobody should care about it.

Cheesesteak, yes, any individual quaffle score pales in comparison to the snitch, but that doesn't mean that all of the quaffle scores pale in comparison. Quite the opposite: Usually you'll have many times more points from quaffles than from the snitch.
  #14  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 AM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 47,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
1) In a real world sport, no one would give two figs about high school level play.
Depends where you live, but sure they would. Chicago isn't quite the high school football town it used to be, but high school sports are still followed actively here, by many. I still check out what my high school football team does (went to finals this year, but lost), and the all-time sports attendance world record for a number of years was a high school football game in 1937 when 120,000 fans attended to watch the public league champ play the Catholic league champ.

I get the impression high school football is quite followed in places like Texas.

It's nowhere near implausible that that much interest would be placed in high school sports, especially in such a "regionalized" setting as Hogwarts.

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-10-2018 at 09:28 AM.
  #15  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

Any other objections I missed, or counter-rebuttals to my rebuttals?
That it is the cumulative season score that wins the cup, so you could win all your games (of which there are only 3, one against each of the other houses) and still lose because of run-up scoring in some game you didn't play in.

It would be like if an American football championship was determined by the total offensive yards gained during the season and not by the games won.
  #16  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 47,255
All that said, the Golden Snitch completely breaks the game for me. I have no issue with scoring, danger, or anything like that. From the first time I read the books, Quidditch felt broken because of the game mechanics, and nothing in the interim has swayed me.
  #17  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,408
Quote:
That it is the cumulative season score that wins the cup, so you could win all your games (of which there are only 3, one against each of the other houses) and still lose because of run-up scoring in some game you didn't play in.
I think that's just the tiebreaker if two teams have the same record. In the book where that happens, the Griffindors all talk about how they're still in the running, because one of the other houses beat Slytherin. In other words, if one of the other houses hadn't beaten Slytherin, Slytherin would win the cup no matter what the game scores were.

I will say that a grand total of six games in the entire season, three for each House, sounds awfully low, but that's an issue with Hogwarts, not with the sport itself.
  #18  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Re this thread, plus Quidditch content of the one about Slytherin which spawned it: I have a theory, which I periodically trot out on SDMB, to the effect that J.K. Rowling -- like myself -- dislikes sports, and is bored by them. In Quidditch, she has dreamed up a basically insane sport, which barely "works" at all; ...
I'd vote a slightly different reason - it's not that she's bored so much as she doesn't understand them. She never played a game like that in her life, and doesn't understand the appeal, so can't create a game that makes sense. She should have asked someone. A few tweaks to the play and most of these objections would have vanished.

Of course, I never realized the true reason for the game until this thread - that it is solely a reason to make Harry a star. But it makes sense.
  #19  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
YamatoTwinkie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,248
I have not read the books, and only have a vague recollection of the movies, but is there any way for the spectators in the stadium to actually see what's going on with the snitch chase, or are they merely informed when its caught?
  #20  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM
mbh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 4,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
1) In a real world sport, no one would give two figs about high school level play.

2) The rules should only fall apart in professional league play, because they were developed and codified back when the sport was still young and everyone who played it was just having fun and was sort of crap at it. With quidditch, that has already happened at the junior level, with all of the roles becoming redundant except the Seekers (similar to how, in professional baseball, everyone except the pitcher is mildly ancillary). We shouldn't see that sort of flaw at the junior level. The game should be balanced so that all roles are equally important when played by high school students. It shouldn't be until professional play that we start to see unbalanced strategies and play styles that make most of the rules moot.
1) I take it you have never lived in Texas.

2) This one I agree with.
  #21  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I think that's just the tiebreaker if two teams have the same record. In the book where that happens, the Griffindors all talk about how they're still in the running, because one of the other houses beat Slytherin. In other words, if one of the other houses hadn't beaten Slytherin, Slytherin would win the cup no matter what the game scores were.

I will say that a grand total of six games in the entire season, three for each House, sounds awfully low, but that's an issue with Hogwarts, not with the sport itself.
That would make more sense. The wiki has it wrong then. I don't know if there is enough discussion in the books that shows it definitively.
  #22  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM
sachertorte is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I pretty much am OK with the game, but I do think that Krum ending the game when they were losing was terrible.
I think in that situation, Quidditch should pull a page from Ice Hockey and "pull the Seeker" and have the Seeker act as an additional chaser to score more goals.

Krum is established in Book 4 at not the most mentally capable wizard, so his messing up the Snitch situation fits his character, then saying "I totally meant to do that" isn't that hard to believe either.
  #23  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 AM
cmkeller's Avatar
cmkeller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,342
sachertorte:

Quote:
Krum is established in Book 4 at not the most mentally capable wizard
I disagree, his selection by the Goblet of Fire points to him being excellent at his magical studies, which must include mental capability. Unless you think that all of Durmstrang are pretty slow.
  #24  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
sachertorte:



I disagree, his selection by the Goblet of Fire points to him being excellent at his magical studies, which must include mental capability. Unless you think that all of Durmstrang are pretty slow.
It's been a while since I've read it, but wasn't Krum the only one entered? I thought he was brought as the school's pre-selected champion.
  #25  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 AM
cmkeller's Avatar
cmkeller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,342
From page 259 of GoF:

"Anyone put their name in yet?" Ron asked a third-year girl eagerly.

"All the Durmstrang lot," she replied.

Krum was clearly Karkaroff's personal favorite, but anyone from Beauxbatons or Durmstrang who came to Hogwarts was a candidate to participate in the Triwizard Tournament. Logically, it makes sense - why would the other headmasters disrupt non-candidate students' learning for no real reason?
  #26  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM
ebb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 187
These might be more like "Quidditch as practiced at Hogwarts" complaints rather than about the base game, but it's hard to tell from the novels:

1) Even though injuries are pretty common and other reasons (detention) for missing games are also pretty standard, there's no bench for the team. The captain recruits the bare minimum number of players who practice together and then has to scramble to fill an empty slot, or forfeit, if something goes wrong. The fill-in person will likely have never played with the other members of the team before.

2) There doesn't seem to be any way to actually learn how to play Quidditch. There's no "gym class" where everyone plays. There's no junior varsity team. Harry just happens to be born with the gift, and there's some reference to wizard-born students playing as a recreational activity -- although how you play "2 on 2" Quidditch is a mystery. But most muggle-born kids seem like they're out of luck.

3) Given the scoring system, it would seem to make more sense to take your team and split it between guarding all three hoops and running interference / surveillance for the Seeker. In other words, forget about scoring goals at all. Other than it seeming 'unsportsmanlike' there doesn't seem to be any thought to doing this.

4) Since there are only two teams of seven players playing at a time, it seems churlish to rely on players purchasing their own brooms, particularly when there's such a vast disparity in capability. I suppose there's some analogy here to Olympic sports, where a well-funded country might have a much better bobsled or something. But for the most part sports where the equipment makes a difference, like auto racing, have pretty strict limits as to the performance range allowed. Having a rack of 20 official Hogwarts house brooms for use by everyone would make a lot more sense.

5) If we're to actually believe that there are games that last hours or even days, then it becomes even more ridiculous that you don't have extra people to swap in. The sport is described as being physically exhausting even after the very short matches that Harry is in. It's not like cricket where half the time you get to sit down and recover; it's like soccer, where everyone is 'on' the whole time.
  #27  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebb View Post
5) If we're to actually believe that there are games that last hours or even days, then it becomes even more ridiculous that you don't have extra people to swap in. The sport is described as being physically exhausting even after the very short matches that Harry is in. It's not like cricket where half the time you get to sit down and recover; it's like soccer, where everyone is 'on' the whole time.
One thing I never understood here, it seems like the more professional matches last longer. Do they have a different snitch? Since it all comes down to the seeker, you would think better seekers would mean shorter matches.
  #28  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
#2, however, is my main complaint, it is a valid complaint, and renders the sport unworkable as a competitive endeavor. Catching the snitch is worth both 15x a normal score, and ends the game immediately. There are 6 other players on the team who are playing with the quaffle. Beating each other up, flying like madmen, all in the effort to score what is essentially a nit in comparison to catching the snitch, a job where exactly one player is assigned. A player, mind you, who is playing a game seemingly unrelated in any way to the game his 6 teammates are playing.

We're playing a team game passing a ball around playing offense and defense, trying to score or prevent scores, and the key to actually winning and losing is a game of hide and seek played by two players uninvolved in the other part of the game.
...
This is my problem, too. I've only watched the movies, but catching the golden snitch is immediate victory, right? To me, it's like if I'm playing in a basketball game but over on another hoop one guy from my team and one guy from the other team are having a free throw shooting contest and if one of the makes 20 in a row the game is over. Maybe it's unlikely to happen, but when it does, it's like what the hell were the rest of us even doing out here?
  #29  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
............Speaking of that World Cup game, no real player would be so unsportsmanlike to end the game when his team was losing............
Not a team game, but very famously: No Ms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_..._Dur%C3%A1n_II

j
  #30  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
YamatoTwinkie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
This is my problem, too. I've only watched the movies, but catching the golden snitch is immediate victory, right? To me, it's like if I'm playing in a basketball game but over on another hoop one guy from my team and one guy from the other team are having a free throw shooting contest and if one of the makes 20 in a row the game is over. Maybe it's unlikely to happen, but when it does, it's like what the hell were the rest of us even doing out here?
At least those are relatively similar games being performed in the same arena. Quidditch seems more like a simultaneous playing of basketball and competitive fishing a mile away.
  #31  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 PM
sachertorte is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 4,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
sachertorte:



I disagree, his selection by the Goblet of Fire points to him being excellent at his magical studies, which must include mental capability. Unless you think that all of Durmstrang are pretty slow.
That makes sense too. I'm referring mostly to Hermione's comments about Krum, though I don't remember the specifics either. It left me with the impression that he is more physical than mental. But that might also be only in the dating sense.
  #32  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 PM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 19,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Re this thread, plus Quidditch content of the one about Slytherin which spawned it: I have a theory, which I periodically trot out on SDMB, to the effect that J.K. Rowling -- like myself -- dislikes sports, and is bored by them. In Quidditch, she has dreamed up a basically insane sport, which barely "works" at all; but which nonetheless has hordes of obsessed and super-enthusiastic followers, many of them super-knowledgeable about all aspects of the game and its players. (I love the passage in one of the books which has -- of all people -- Luna Lovegood, certainly not a "sporty" type, as commentator on a Quidditch match in progress: her commentary is splendidly irrelevant to the proceedings.)
The scoring system was stupid by design, but apparently not stupid enough for Chronos.
  #33  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,408
enalzi, it's never explicitly stated, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that the pros do, in fact, use more difficult Snitches. I mean, why wouldn't they?

Barkis is Willin', the movies gloss over the details, but catching the Snitch is not immediate victory. It's 150 points, and the end of the game, but the other team might still win if they had a lead of 160 or more before that point. Which is quite plausible, given what we know about the game.

ebb, there is in fact a gym class where they learn to play, or at least learn to ride broomsticks (which seems to be the primary skill involved in the game). That's where Harry was when it was discovered that he had a knack for it: A Slytherin steals Neville's Remembrall and throws it away, and Harry flies off and catches it.

sachertorte, Krum is mentally dim compared to Hermione. Which isn't saying much.
  #34  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
ebb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 187
You are doing a very credible job at an impossible task, sir.
  #35  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
The scoring system was stupid by design, but apparently not stupid enough for Chronos.
Indeed. Rowling herself said she invented quidditch after a fight with her boyfriend, and is happy that the snitch infuriates men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
ebb, there is in fact a gym class where they learn to play, or at least learn to ride broomsticks (which seems to be the primary skill involved in the game). That's where Harry was when it was discovered that he had a knack for it: A Slytherin steals Neville's Remembrall and throws it away, and Harry flies off and catches it.
Nah, that's like saying learning to ice skate prepares you for hockey. Sure, it's a necessary skill, but there's a lot more to hockey than skating, and a lot more to quidditch than brooming.

Besides, in the books at least, brooms are a pretty common means of transportation for wizards & witches. So everyone gets taught to fly a broom at Hogwarts, not just prospective quidditch players.
  #36  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,736

Dumb Krum ending the World Cup


Am I the only one who remembers the book explanation? The Bulgarians were losing, badly, and there was no way they could come back. Krum caught the snitch to end the game "on his own terms." He and his team were doomed to defeat, so he accelerated the defeat to minimize the humiliation. Quiddich doesn't have a "mercy rule", so Krum did the next best thing.

I can't recall if Rowing also insinuated the more cynical analysis: He could say he'd succeeded in doing his bit as his team's seeker and was not, therefore, culpable for the loss. But I think not, because I seem to recall him being developed as someone with a strong honorable streak with a paradoxically strong sense of ambition.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 12-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.
  #37  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:23 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 36,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
ebb, there is in fact a gym class where they learn to play, or at least learn to ride broomsticks (which seems to be the primary skill involved in the game). That's where Harry was when it was discovered that he had a knack for it: A Slytherin steals Neville's Remembrall and throws it away, and Harry flies off and catches it.
That's more like Driver's Ed.
  #38  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the book explanation? The Bulgarians were losing, badly, and there was no way they could come back. Krum caught the snitch to end the game "on his own terms." He and his team were doomed to defeat, so he accelerated the defeat to minimize the humiliation. Quiddich doesn't have a "mercy rule", so Krum did the next best thing.

I can't recall if Rowing also insinuated the more cynical analysis: He could say he'd succeeded in doing his bit as his team's seeker and was not, therefore, culpable for the loss. But I think not, because I seem to recall him being developed as someone with a strong honorable streak with a paradoxically strong sense of ambition.
They were down 160 points. When catching the Snitch gives you 150, it's hard to say you can't come back from that.
  #39  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,408
Yeah, I will grant that Krum's losing catch was probably premature.

On the other hand, at the time the other team's Seeker was also really close to making the catch. Ideally, you'd try to interfere with his catch rather than snagging it yourself, but maybe Krum decided that he wouldn't be able to do that, and preferred losing by 10 to losing by 310.
  #40  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:00 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 41,244
Indeed, all you have to do is score twice, and you're a lucky break away from victory. 660 points, you're dead. 160, you are no further out of it than a basketball team losing 100-96.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
  #41  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Indeed. Rowling herself said she invented quidditch after a fight with her boyfriend, and is happy that the snitch infuriates men..
"infuriates" might be a bit strong. I just think it's stupid, and get on with my life.

Either way, the linked article offers nothing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rowling;
Quidditch - was invented in a small hotel in Manchester after a row with my then boyfriend.

It infuriates men, in my experience (why is the Snitch so valuable etc), which is quite satisfying given my state of mind when I invented it.
What does that offer us? "Don't write angry"? That she doesn't like men?
  #42  
Old 12-10-2018, 02:44 PM
Barkis is Willin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Barkis is Willin', the movies gloss over the details, but catching the Snitch is not immediate victory. It's 150 points, and the end of the game, but the other team might still win if they had a lead of 160 or more before that point. Which is quite plausible, given what we know about the game.
Thanks for clarifying, although it's not really any improvement. You've still got two players playing a completely different game from the rest of their respective teams. Other than that detail, I think it's a pretty straightforward goal scoring game.
  #43  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:33 PM
gaffa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
ebb, there is in fact a gym class where they learn to play, or at least learn to ride broomsticks (which seems to be the primary skill involved in the game). That's where Harry was when it was discovered that he had a knack for it: A Slytherin steals Neville's Remembrall and throws it away, and Harry flies off and catches it.
Don't even get me started on how stupid a Rememberall is, which apparently just glows to remind you that you have something to remember, but does not actually remind you of any actual fact or date.

Last edited by gaffa; 12-10-2018 at 03:34 PM.
  #44  
Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
#2, however, is my main complaint, it is a valid complaint, and renders the sport unworkable as a competitive endeavor. Catching the snitch is worth both 15x a normal score, and ends the game immediately. There are 6 other players on the team who are playing with the quaffle. Beating each other up, flying like madmen, all in the effort to score what is essentially a nit in comparison to catching the snitch, a job where exactly one player is assigned. A player, mind you, who is playing a game seemingly unrelated in any way to the game his 6 teammates are playing.
Indeed. There is no other real life sport in the world where the point totals are so disparate. Now if the Switch was 50 points, it probably would make far more sense (even then a 5x disparity in points is also unheard of in real life sports).

I'd imagine if Rowling cared about sports at all, the snitch would be worth 30 points (each time, it'd be released after being caught) and there would be some other way to end the game (maybe reaching a certain point total).

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 12-10-2018 at 03:50 PM.
  #45  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:10 PM
cmkeller's Avatar
cmkeller is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,342
running coach:

Quote:
That's more like Driver's Ed.
No, Apparition Lessons (in Half-Blood Prince) are the Driver's Ed equivalent.
  #46  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 36,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
running coach:



No, Apparition Lessons (in Half-Blood Prince) are the Driver's Ed equivalent.
Point taken. Maybe broomsticks are equivalent to bicycles since even small children are shown using them.
  #47  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 PM
pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 47,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
"infuriates" might be a bit strong. I just think it's stupid, and get on with my life.

Either way, the linked article offers nothing:


What does that offer us? "Don't write angry"? That she doesn't like men?
The JK Rowling comment is odd to me, as I find that women I know who follow sports (and that's who introduced me to Harry Potter in the first place) also find the snitch scoring a bit silly.
  #48  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
ebb is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Point taken. Maybe broomsticks are equivalent to bicycles since even small children are shown using them.
Given the elitist nature of wizard society, maybe broomsticks are most like ponies.

Just because you've ridden a pony as a kid doesn't mean you're ready to play polo.
  #49  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Snip...

Nah, that's like saying learning to ice skate prepares you for hockey. Sure, it's a necessary skill, but there's a lot more to hockey than skating, and a lot more to quidditch than brooming.

Besides, in the books at least, brooms are a pretty common means of transportation for wizards & witches. So everyone gets taught to fly a broom at Hogwarts, not just prospective quidditch players.
That doesn't bother me. It's analogous to being on a track or crosscountry team. Almost every high school kid knows how to run; but the ones who can do it especially well can join a team that turns a quotidian activity into a sport.

No, it's the capture of the Golden Snitch being the automatic end of the game that makes Quidditch a nonsensical sport. As ebb pointed out, the Snitch being worth what it is, the proper strategy is to put one or two players, along with the keeper, in front of the goal to prevent the other team scoring at will, and using the rest of them to track and herd the Snitch to the Seeker. So long as you can keep the other team from scoring more than 15 times, you're going to win.
  #50  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 22,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Don't even get me started on how stupid a Rememberall is, which apparently just glows to remind you that you have something to remember, but does not actually remind you of any actual fact or date.
Not to hijack, but I thought the point of a Remembrall was to help with memory training, not to act like a personal calendar app that makes it unnecessary for you to do your own remembering.

Remember [hee hee], Neville is given the Remembrall by his grandmother, who's quite demanding and judgemental. She's not trying to make his life easier, she's trying to get him what she considers up to speed mentally and magically.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017