Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM

Foods (seemingly) everyone likes but you

Inspired by the thread discussing what smells good but can't be eaten.

Many people responded that one such food was coffee. Me, too. I find it interesting considering that coffee is one of the most abundant products available.

I began to think of other foods and beverages that are exceedingly popular in the US that I really don't like.
Wading through the web, there is clickbait that I often see that appears to be banana slices in a pot of boiling water, and that put me back on that train of thought. I really don't care for bananas; other than people who are allergic to them, I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.
Onions are another. I have some sort of intolerance for them; they make my mouth tingle and upset my stomach. Every time I eat a meal prepared by others I need to ask if onions are in the food. Some people are shocked that anyone could dislike onions.

Got any foods that you don't eat, making you stand out from the crowd?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Beer, wine, pretty much any alcohol.
Mustard
Avocados
Indian food (your tandooris, your masalas, etc.).
Old 02-10-2019, 09:37 PM

Carbonated beverages.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Sauerkraut. No, thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Sushi. Nope not gonna.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I mean, there's nothing I really dislike or won't eat, but I just don't get popcorn.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Oysters or any other raw fish.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 PM

Mayonnaise
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 PM

corned beef...… id just rather just have a nice grilled or bbq brisket …..

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM

LOTS of people I know don't like seafood/sushi/oysters/etc in one form or another (more for me!)...as far as what everyone seems to like except me, yeah, my vote is coffee.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Watermelon (or any melon, for that matter)- always hated it
Lobster- ate too much of it ($15 Tuesday dinner specials) so stopped liking it
Sushi- ditto, unless it’s something inventive or rare
Oysters- realized I really only liked the horseradish and Tabasco
Asparagus- smelly pee scares me
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 PM

- Mayonnaise.

Sight, smell, taste, mouthfeel grosses me out.

I'm supposed to like it because, as some try to get me to rationalize:

"Do you eat eggs?" Sometimes. Hard boiled or fried with hard yoke. Nothing runny: Yuck.

"Vinegar?" In some food preparations, yes.

"Oil?" Olive oil only.

"Lemon juice?" Here and there.

Ultimate logical "gotcha" zinger: "Well, why not mayonnaise?"

- Asparagus: Looks like a virus magnified 1000 X

Last edited by BrickBat; 02-10-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 PM

It seems like most people can't imagine eating a burger or fries without ketchup. Yuck. Ketchup is a vile substance that I don't want anywhere near my food.

And, like others in this thread, coffee and sushi.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Joining in on the sushi hate and I’ve tried it multiple times. I love seafood but hate sushi.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
I really don't care for bananas; other than people who are allergic to them, I don't know anyone who doesn't like them.
I have a friend who will not eat bananas. She'll eat banana bread, canned bananas in fruit cocktail, banana-flavored candy, etc. but the peel and eat variety? Nope. For her, it's a texture thing.

I am not a fan of eggplant, coffee, or ketchup. Lots of people love those things, but not me.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 AM

Pasta. Everybody loves it. I don't even like it. I can eat a little of it, to be polite.
Ice cream. People think I am like some kind of hellbeast because I don't like ice cream, but when I connected with members of my birth family, none of them liked it either.

These are just the ones almost everybody likes. Most of the other things on my list are things not well liked by a lot of people and, of course, loved by others. Like liver.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Chocolate
Coffee
Alcoholic beverages
Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

How I like my eggs is on someone else's plate.

Apple pie? I will pass thank you. Cranberry sauce? No I'll just have more stuffing.

Venison is a waste of a good pest deer. Pumpkin anything? Get your bland gourd and unpleasant seasonal spices out of my everything.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 AM

There is a whole category of crappy "nostalgia" fast food that everyone in the US seems to love as they were fed it as a kid. But as I didn't grow up here, just tastes like crappy fast food to me. Tater tots and Kraft Mac and cheese are classic examples.

Sloppy joes would be on the list (had no idea what it even was before I moved to the states) but for the fact I don't mind it.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Coffee.
RAW onions.

I've liked ketchup all my life but with in the past year or so, I've been passing it up. Not sure what happened there.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 AM

Guacamole.

It's been a few years since I had it, but IIRC, it reminded me if someone had liquefied lawn clippings and told me to put in on perfectly good chips.

If coffee tasted as good as it smelled, it would kick chocolate's ass. Instead, it tastes like chocolate's ass.

I used to love tea, but gave it up because it's too bothersome to make, and it's hard getting decent tea at all, much less decent decaf tea. There are places on the internet, but it seems they're premium teas with prices to match. Screw it.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have a friend who will not eat bananas. She'll eat banana bread, canned bananas in fruit cocktail, banana-flavored candy, etc. but the peel and eat variety? Nope. For her, it's a texture thing.

I am not a fan of eggplant, coffee, or ketchup. Lots of people love those things, but not me.

I'm like your friend but with tomatoes and strawberries
Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 AM

Salmon.

And bananas in any form other than fresh (and even then only once in a blue moon).

mmm
Old 02-11-2019, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Almost everything. But to make things easier I'll say cheesecake.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodalicious View Post
Beer, wine, pretty much any alcohol.
Mustard
Avocados
Indian food (your tandooris, your masalas, etc.).
I think I just met Bizzaro me.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:21 AM

Bell peppers. There are some cuisines that seem to put them in every dish. I'll eat them but I have never had a dish with bell peppers that wouldn't have tasted better without them.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Pasta. Everybody loves it. I don't even like it. I can eat a little of it, to be polite.
Ooo...that's a good one. The others in this thread I've heard of, but this is literally the first time I heard of anyone not like pasta.That's almost like not liking bread. My wife, for some reason, always assumed I didn't like pasta, because I wouldn't cook it that often, but the truth is, I don't cook it, because I'd eat the whole damned pound package on its own if it were to be left around. Now that I have picky kids under 5 in the house, it's become almost a daily staple, as there are about five foods they enjoy eating. I swear, they started out eating anything and everything, and now settled into the stereotypical "kids menu" diet.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 AM

I eat pretty much everything; oysters, sushi, escargot, carpaccio, etc. I can't think of a single food that I wouldn't eat. That said, I don't like fat. I trim any fat off of my steak prior to cooking, for example.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Bar-B-Que. Lots of work and lots of mess for not much IMHO. It just tastes and smells like burnt wood.

Sometimes people mention having a Bar-B-Que, and I have to find out if they mean grilling burgers and dogs or if they plan on serving that vile saucy crap.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM

Now this is a thread I can win.

Cheese (ha! top that!)
Oddly enough, I love pizza, but even that can't be extra cheese or four cheese. Just plain old mozzarella, and a small amount at that.
Try going anywhere that doesn't automatically include cheese in most everything.

Butter
I'll cook with it but as a spread? Oh hellz no. No, I don't want it on my pancakes or my toast. And if we're out to dinner, do NOT use the knife that comes with the bread to spread butter and then use it later to cut yourself another piece, goddammit.

Salad Dressing
I can't think of one that the mere smell of doesn't turn my stomach. I do like salad, though.

Seafood
Anything other than shrimp, lobster or crab is repellent to me, and even then, I won't cook it at home because of the smell.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

Funny, the only thing I really like about bananas is the texture. I don't have the flavor, but most foods would be better without it. (Yes, I prefer them a little under-ripe, after the astringency is mostly gone, but before too much flavor develops.)

Probably the weirdest is that I don't care for avocado. I don't hate it, and I don't bother to pick it out of my sushi, but I don't get the appeal. If there's a large chunk in my salad I will offer it to others.

And the weirdest that I won't eat is bell pepper. I don't mind fresh green pepper. But if you cook it or even if it gets old it develops this really nasty flavor. And that flavor gets into everything. I don't even want to sit next to you if you are eating a stuffed roast pepper. Ick!!

When I got married, it took a while for us to figure out why I didn't like tomato sauce (which my husband loves) because I like both fresh and cooked tomatoes. Turns out that my mom always put green pepper in it. And lots of other places do, too. Some brands of canned tomato sauce include some bell pepper, even! And that makes it taste disgusting.

In general I like foods that are more mildly seasoned that most people. That's not true for every seasoning (I love ginger) but I have a sensitive palette, and enjoy most foods more if I can taste the underlying food (beans, vegetable, meat, cheese, rice, whatever) and not just be overwhelmed by the seasoning. My sense of taste isn't as sensitive as it was when I was a kid, and I find I can now tolerate (sometimes even enjoy) tiny amounts of highly-flavored things like mustard. But a lot of foods other people like just taste overblown and brassy to me.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Avocado: I can eat a little bit if it's in the form of guacamole, but slices of it, or mashed into toast? *gag*

Bananas with any green on them: I looooove a nice speckled banana, but the green ones make me teeth feel funny, aren't sweet and bananas shouldn't crunch.

Mushrooms: Disconcertingly textured, spongy bits of forest floor.

Anything that once lived in water: the smell, the looks, the texture...*shudders*

Peas: I grew up on canned peas, which are from the Devil, but my hatred extends to all peas. Yes, even fresh. No, I won't try them again.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM

I have some serious texture issues. Anything runny, slimy or overly creamy is just horrifying to me.

Avocados / Guac = texture is awful and the taste is just as bad. Wife loves them, I can't even be in the same room when she's eating them.

Fish = tired many kinds, prepared many ways, can't stand the texture, taste or smell. And it really bugs me when people say, "oh if it's fresh it doesn't smell fishy." Bullshit. It always smells fishy; and that smell is just plain disgusting.

Eggs = the only way I can eat them is scrambled / omelette style. Anything else, including hardboiled makes me gag.

Jello and Pudding = again....texture. I don't like eating things that can move on their own.

Canned cranberry sauce = urp. Fresh, actual cranberries can be enjoyable but that canned, jiggly crap that gets sliced into little discs for T-Day? No thanks.

Heck, I don't even like whipped cream all that much. Watching someone shoot the can directly into their mouth makes me wretch all the time.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM

How have we gotten this far without mentioning the evil, dreaded cilantro? And it's in everything now, even in Mom & Pop diners! On the cooking shows, the TV chef will put together a wonderful, beautiful, yummy-sounding dish and then ruin it by topping it with "bright, citrusy cilantro." Bright? Citrusy? To some people cilantro tastes like soap. To me it tastes
SPOILER:
the way your mouth tastes after you throw up.

Also, there's a big movement on to get people to cook/fry things in coconut oil. I love coconut, I love the smell of toasted coconut, and I put that wonderful-smelling semi-solid substance on myself after a bath. BUT the smell of it cooking absolutely turns my stomach. And after the dish is cooked, that awful smell/taste remains and renders (appropriate word) the food inedible. Blech.

I do love sushi, coffee, artichokes, bananas, and even canned peas. Not picky about anything else.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Avocado: I can eat a little bit if it's in the form of guacamole, but slices of it, or mashed into toast? *gag*...
I'm the opposite. I can eat a little bit if it's just sliced, but mashed up into guacamole is disgusting.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Kimchi. Koreans be crazy.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Burgers!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Bananas, cucumbers, raw tomatoes and pumpkin/winter squash are my big four foods that everyone else seems to like but me.

Now none of them are gaggingly bad, but I don't care for them either. Of the four, I think pumpkin/winter squash are the nastiest, followed by cucumbers, bananas and raw tomatoes.

Avocado... it's fine in guacamole or as pieces in say... tortilla soup or some tacos (there's a local place that makes braised brisket tacos that work with thin slices of avocado, for example). But I don't like it enough to think that it is anything other than an adjunct to another dish.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Now this is a thread I can win.

Cheese (ha! top that!)
Oddly enough, I love pizza, but even that can't be extra cheese or four cheese. Just plain old mozzarella, and a small amount at that.
Try going anywhere that doesn't automatically include cheese in most everything.

Butter
I'll cook with it but as a spread? Oh hellz no. No, I don't want it on my pancakes or my toast. And if we're out to dinner, do NOT use the knife that comes with the bread to spread butter and then use it later to cut yourself another piece, goddammit.

Salad Dressing
I can't think of one that the mere smell of doesn't turn my stomach. I do like salad, though.

Seafood
Anything other than shrimp, lobster or crab is repellent to me, and even then, I won't cook it at home because of the smell.
You eat salad without any dressing? Huh.

I agree with Seafood. Of any type or stripe.

Surprised as others at the poster that doesn't do pasta. That's a new one. I could live on it like another poster said.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM

I agree about watermelon. I don't hate it, but the watery, sugary texture isn't appealing at all.

Otherwise this thread is making me really hungry!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Celery. People who don't hate it think it's this completely innocuous thing and liberally add it to literally everything. Those people are very, very wrong.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM

I think I've submitted this list before in another thread! I call myself a Plain Eater.

Mayo - and any salad made with mayo (tuna, chicken, etc)
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickles - all varieties
Olives - all varieties
Seafood
Fish - unless it's one of Minnesota's freshwater fish and it's been battered and fried (but I can take it or leave it)
Sushi
Coffee
Tea
Mt Dew/Mello Yello
Green peppers
Raw onions
Mushrooms
Anything with fennel or caraway seeds
Coleslaw
Rhubarb
Hard liquor
Wine
Hot wings (actually wings, in general, are a waste of time)
Chip dip or salsa (I do like cheese dip even cheese dip with salsa!)
Salad dressings - not a fan of the creamy variety. I'll eat oil and vinegar Italian style. But even salad is not a favorite of mine. I like the individual veggies or lettuce on a sandwich, but I don't need them mixed up and drenched with mayo - y stuff!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I avoid:

Beets
celery
cauliflower
Green peppers (red, yellow, orange, purple, etc. are fine. WTF??)

I try them again every few years to see if my tastes have changed; they haven't, not for those 4 items. But retrying stuff regularly got me to fall in love with previously detested foods like mushrooms, Brussel sprouts, and spinach. So I'll keep re-trying.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campp View Post
Bar-B-Que. Lots of work and lots of mess for not much IMHO. It just tastes and smells like burnt wood.

Sometimes people mention having a Bar-B-Que, and I have to find out if they mean grilling burgers and dogs or if they plan on serving that vile saucy crap.
Oh, that reminds me of a couple:

I don't like most commercial barbecue sauces. They have an acrid smoke flavor to them that is not my favorite. Whenever I make barbecue (like smoked meat), I look for barbecue sauces that don't have liquid smoke in them, or I make my own (and this is almost always served on the side, anyway). This might also be the reason I just hate barbecue chicken pizza and the like--because of the sauce. I'll tolerate the flavor in small doses, though. And it's fine in something like Chick-Fil-A sauce, where it's cut with basically mayo and honey mustard.

Ranch dressing. I just don't understand its ubiquity and almost universal love. I can take it in small doses, but I don't get people dipping their food into the stuff. I like salads, but I'm an oil-and-vinegar-touch-of-mustard-and-garlic kind of guy.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Liver - I'd rather swallow a spoon of castor oil than eat that junk! I can't acquire the taste of squash, asparagus, okra, turnips and eggplant either. I can pretty much handle everything else. Cous cous - is some nasty ground up? Something? Give me some nice seasoned up rice pilaf. Thank you...
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Sweet potatoes, pecans - southern delicacies, but I gag when I look at them
Coffee - tastes like ashtrays to me
Cilantro - tastes like somebody pounded chalk erasers on the food
Mayonnaise - it oozes and spills, soaks into the rest of the food and turns it into more mayonnaise, and tastes like glue
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

No sweets for me: desserts, soft drinks, candies, cakes, cookies. Even something as lightly sweetened as a fruity chewable antacid tablet has me dry chewing just enough to wash down the chunks.

I virtually never order steak or a steak-containing thing like a burrito or steak sandwich.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy5 View Post
Cous cous - is some nasty ground up? Something?
Cous cous is just very tiny beads of pasta . . .
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

This is a big one:

Most Mexican foods. I like ground beef tacos, the way I make them at least; most restaurants don't season the meat much, so it's just bland beef in a shell, which is blech. But most other things, which are universally loved by everyone around me, just don't appeal to me at all. Enchiladas, nachos, burritos, rice and beans, meh. It's the same stuff in different shapes, and what taste there is doesn't appeal to me. I don't like capsaicin heat. Don't even get me started on tamales.

Also, eggs. I can't eat eggs, no matter how they're prepared. I tolerate their presence in fried rice.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I eat pretty much everything; oysters, sushi, escargot, carpaccio, etc. I can't think of a single food that I wouldn't eat. That said, I don't like fat. I trim any fat off of my steak prior to cooking, for example.
49 posts so far and this is the only one I agree with. Even then it’s just large chunks of fat, little bits like on a pork loin chop are no big deal.

I used to have a decent number of things I wouldn’t eat, but the older I get, the more that list dwindles. Sitting here right now, I can’t think of anything I wouldn’t eat besides a big hunk of fat.

Last edited by cgg419; 02-11-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Numbers are hard