Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124

Bring back the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=UPhVbHWOX6o

I coveted this toy as a kid. I never had one. Nobody I knew had one. Monkey Wards had one on display at Xmas every year, but you weren't allowed to even touch it, much less play with it. Somebody put it back into production and I will buy four. One for me. One for my daughter. One for my brother. One for my nephew.
  #2  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,736
Very cool!! The downside as a kid would be always having all the neighbor kids at your house.

Any idea how much they were back in the day?
  #3  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Cardigan's Avatar
Cardigan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,509
I never had the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery as a kid but had a similar sort of carnival-themed shooting gallery toy. It was a wind up model and instead of shooting with ball bearings as ammo, it featured a spring-loaded suction cup gun.
  #4  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Very cool!! The downside as a kid would be always having all the neighbor kids at your house.

Any idea how much they were back in the day?
Back in the late 60s, when my desire for one was a at a peak, I remember them costing about as much as a bicycle at Monkey Wards and the other department stores of the day.
  #5  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM
muldoonthief's Avatar
muldoonthief is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 10,932
I didn't have that one, but I had the Magic Shot shooting gallery. Which apparently you can still get, though the gun has morphed into some kind of phaser, instead of the original and infinitely cooler M1911.
  #6  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
While we're on the topic of Marx Toys, if you are ever in the Moundsville WV area, be sure to tour the museum. While there, tour the prison too. Moundsville is a weird little town. They built the elementary school, literally, in the shadow of an Indian burial mound and across the street from a prison.
  #7  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Back in the late 60s, when my desire for one was a at a peak, I remember them costing about as much as a bicycle at Monkey Wards and the other department stores of the day.
That was about when I got a Crossman pump BB gun for xmas. I remember wondering if my dad had lost his mind. We would go to Frick Park and hike back to a dump, where we would shoot bottles and such. Good times.
  #8  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
That was about when I got a Crossman pump BB gun for xmas. I remember wondering if my dad had lost his mind. We would go to Frick Park and hike back to a dump, where we would shoot bottles and such. Good times.
I got a Daisy BB gun in the same era. It was, arguably, a purchase that brought more lasting (and inexpensive) fun...but I still want a mafan Electro Shot Shooting Gallery.
  #9  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,892
I remember seeing that commercial as a kid and thinking "Wow, that is Patty Duke's dad in a commercial!"
  #10  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:42 PM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 58,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I remember seeing that commercial as a kid and thinking "Wow, that is Patty Duke's dad in a commercial!"
That's where I saw that guy!
  #11  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
That's where I saw that guy!
Yep-William Schallert.
  #12  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 PM
MeanJoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,278
I don't remember this, a bit before my time but.... OHMERGERD TAKE MY MONEY!!! Man, would I have loved that as a kid. And now as an adult.
__________________
Father to sassy girls. Husband to a mad wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  #13  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM
DesertDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,468
When I was about 14 the arcade by us flogged off some old equipment and Dad was willing to buy one for $50, a pretty good amount at the time. I wanted a pin game but my brother and Dad outvoted me and we got a shooting gallery game instead. The rifle was a plugged .22 mounted on a gimbal pedestal and you were looking into a 45-degree mirror at the targets which were down by your feet. Moving the gun left and right, up and down was translated on the other side of the gimbal into a pointer that was sliding around on a phenolic board with 3/16 brass buttons flush on the surface. When the contact on the pointer and the board were aligned as you pulled the trigger a circuit was closed and a latch on the target was pulled and it dropped from horizontal (where you could see it) to vertical (where you couldn't).

There was a timer on it and it would tote up points for the targets, with shots left and seconds left as a bonus. Unfortunately, the motor switch that ran the thing had to complete it's cycle so the minimum time between shots was about a half-second. In only a couple months we'd maxed out the score, hitting every target in the minimum time so it just wan't possible to get a bigger bonus. One thing I did fix was a solenoid that would thump the pedestal when the gun was fired, simulating recoil. Dad sold it fr $75 I think, a couple years after we got it.

In 1980 when all the arcades were getting rid of their electro-mechanical pin games in favor of the processor models, I bought a four year-old Gottlieb Card Whiz for $200. When I moved to Phoenix there was no place for it so my brother took it in charge (and my nephews were teens at the time anyway). I moved a few years ago to a bigger place but inertia kept it with my brother (it was upstairs) until a year ago when he was going to rent out the house. He called to say some guy was 'willing' to haul it away for free. "The hell he will," I hotly told him and showed up with large friends to take it back. Looked it up and the going rate for a playable one in decent shape is about $1,000. I chided bro later for wanting to hand out thousand dollar bills.
  #14  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Yep-William Schallert.
No, I don't think it is.
  #15  
Old 03-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,532
I had one! And yes, it was as fun as it looks. One of my all-time favorite toys. I'm not sure of the exact year we got it, but I was probably between about 7 and 10.

With two brothers, we usually turned it into a competition of some sort -- who could move the spinner the farthest, who could hit the most ducks, etc. But when just messing around, nailing that clown over and over was the best. It was nearly impossible to get a BB into the lion's mouth, and nothing happened if you did anyway, so we didn't usually bother with that.

Thanks, Scumpup, for bringing back these memories. I know I am now the envy of you all!
  #16  
Old 03-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I know I am now the envy of you all!
I hate you.
  #17  
Old 03-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Wheelz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
I hate you.
  #18  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 PM
NDP's Avatar
NDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 9,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
While we're on the topic of Marx Toys, if you are ever in the Moundsville WV area, be sure to tour the museum. While there, tour the prison too. Moundsville is a weird little town. They built the elementary school, literally, in the shadow of an Indian burial mound and across the street from a prison.
Incidentally, what happened to Marx Toys? They had dozens of unique toys like the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery and huge sellers like the Big Wheel but the whole company (toys included) disappeared around 1980. Even if the company went under you'd think that at least one of their competitors would've gotten rights to put out the Big Wheel. During the 70s, it seemed every boy between the ages of 3 and 5 had one.
__________________
Can also be seen at:

Last FM Library Thing
  #19  
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Incidentally, what happened to Marx Toys? They had dozens of unique toys like the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery and huge sellers like the Big Wheel but the whole company (toys included) disappeared around 1980. Even if the company went under you'd think that at least one of their competitors would've gotten rights to put out the Big Wheel. During the 70s, it seemed every boy between the ages of 3 and 5 had one.
According to Candy, the smoking hot tour guide when I visited the museum, it was an inability to compete with lower labor costs in Asia. Some of the more valuable products, like the Big Wheel, were sold off to other toy makers on the way to collapse.
  #20  
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Incidentally, what happened to Marx Toys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
According to Candy, the smoking hot tour guide when I visited the museum, it was an inability to compete with lower labor costs in Asia.
There's a Marxist joke buried in there, but I'm too high to excavate. Heh.
  #21  
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,356
It was a great toy. My cousins had one. They took it apart so they could shoot the gun outside the box.

Another great one was Rockem Sockem robots. They do have a new knockoff but it doesnt work as good.
  #22  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 AM
pkbites's Avatar
pkbites is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 10,864
We had both the Electro Shot and the Magic Shot. Late 60's if I remember right. So nah nah to those who didn't have them. And yes, they were a blast and yes, every boy in the neighborhood wanted to play them. My brother would insist they bring some of their candy stash over if the wanted to play.

The Elctroshot mechanism eventually broke, making the toy useless. But the magic Shot is still in the basement at my Mothers house. The plastic shield is scratched all to heck from decades of use by us, then our children.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
Incidentally, what happened to Marx Toys? They had dozens of unique toys like the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery and huge sellers like the Big Wheel
They're using the image on wine bottles.
My wife thinks I'm daffy but tell me that isn't a Marx Big Wheel! It even has the adjustable seat!

Good wine, though, according to my wife. It's one of her favorites. (I don't care for chardonnay).

Last edited by pkbites; 03-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.
  #23  
Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,618
Huh. Never heard of it, but when I saw photos of it I instantly recognized it--I had one as a kid in the 70s (probably inherited from an earlier generation of cousins that my grandmother babysat, along with tons of other toys from the 60s) but it hadn't crossed my mind in probably 30 years.
  #24  
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 AM
jnglmassiv is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago's Northside
Posts: 2,991
OP's game is before my time.

However, I recently came across this article that fairly exhaustively describes a 1976 (also before my time) electro-optical Duck Hunt game from Nintendo. Be sure to check out the second part of the article linked at the bottom of the first. The game is a marvel of engineering, a handful of analog electronic components, no ICs, gears and cogs for days.

http:// blog.beforemario.com/2012/09...hunt-1976.html
  #25  
Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM
Sam Stone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 27,940
You can do way better than that now. Get yourself an indoor Airsoft target system, and you can use Airsoft guns. Hell, with a proper deflector you can use a pellet gun.

Airsoft guns now come in an amazing range. You can even get Airsoft grenades. From what I understand, Airsoft is pretty big in Europe, where it is hard to get and shoot real guns. They aren't very accurate at long ranges and wind will play havoc with them, but for close range plinking in a garage or basement, they should be quite accurate.

Last edited by Sam Stone; 03-23-2019 at 02:37 PM.
  #26  
Old 03-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
You can do way better than that now. Get yourself an indoor Airsoft target system, and you can use Airsoft guns. Hell, with a proper deflector you can use a pellet gun.

Airsoft guns now come in an amazing range. You can even get Airsoft grenades. From what I understand, Airsoft is pretty big in Europe, where it is hard to get and shoot real guns. They aren't very accurate at long ranges and wind will play havoc with them, but for close range plinking in a garage or basement, they should be quite accurate.
I don't give a wet shit about airsoft guns. I have a Christless huge collection of real guns. I want a mafan Electro Shot Shooting Gallery.
  #27  
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,306
[Moderating]

This looks like a game to me, not a work of art, so I'll move it to the Game Room.

And yes, it also looks wicked cool.
  #28  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,255
I would consider paying good money for a working version of one of these. There’s something awesome about a mechanical toy like this that you can’t get from a video game.
  #29  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 PM
TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 40,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I would consider paying good money for a working version of one of these. There’s something awesome about a mechanical toy like this that you can’t get from a video game.
They have some on eBay around $100. Each one I saw had something missing or broken.
  #30  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 PM
hajario's Avatar
hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 16,005
I don't recall ever seeing one of those but I remember the commercial. I obviously hadn't seen it in decades but I remember the tag line "squeeze off shot after shot". It looks really fun.
  #31  
Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 PM
NDP's Avatar
NDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: PNW USA
Posts: 9,175
Earlier I asked what happened to Marx Toys. Wikipedia gives the answer. The founder, Louis Marx, sold the company to Quaker Oats in 1972 and retired. From there, things fell apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1972, Marx sold his company to the Quaker Oats Company for $54 million ($246 million in 2005 dollars) and retired at the age 76 (Smith 2000, pp. 9–10). Quaker also owned the Fisher-Price brand, but struggled with Marx. Quaker had hoped Marx and Fisher-Price would have synergy, but the companies' sales patterns were too different. Marx was also faulted for largely ignoring the trend towards electronic toys in the early 1970s. In late 1975, Quaker closed the plants in Erie and Girard, and in early 1976, Quaker sold its struggling Marx division to the British conglomerate Dunbee-Combex-Marx, who had bought the former Marx UK subsidiary in 1967.

Like many toy makers, Dunbee-Combex-Marx struggled with high interest rates and an economic slowdown. It collapsed. By 1979, most US operations were ceased, and by 1980, the last Marx plant closed in West Virginia (Vitello 2006). The Marx brand disappeared and Dunbee-Combex-Marx filed for bankruptcy. The Marx assets were liquidated in the early 1980s, with some trademarks and molding tools going to a few other toy manufacturers of the time, including the Mego Corporation.
__________________
Can also be seen at:

Last FM Library Thing
  #32  
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 PM
california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,319
I had the Marx Electroshot Shooting Gallery. It was pretty cool, but not as cool as my Thingmakers were. Also, my brother had the Eldon Bowl O Matic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Px1_hsRK4
  #33  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:44 PM
pkbites's Avatar
pkbites is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 10,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Also, my brother had the Eldon Bowl O Matic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Px1_hsRK4
Back in the early 60's we had a Shuffle Alley bowling game that my Dad bought to complete our basement bar motif. For some reason having a barroom in your basement was the thing back then, at least around here it was.

The disc used for that game weighed half a ton and made a nice dent in your brothers head when you chucked it at him.
  #34  
Old 03-25-2019, 12:13 AM
pkbites's Avatar
pkbites is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 10,864
As long as we're bragging about what cool toys we had, let me rub it in that I had THE clest toy gun ever made!!

Johnny Eagle Lieutenant.

No way would anyone make a cap gun this realistic today. High capacity magazine, working slide and extractor. It was absolutely brilliant! The only kid in our neighborhood that had anything even close to it had a real pistol. His Dad had brought this junky 1911 back from Korea. He removed the firing pin and glued a block of wood into the magazine well and his kid was playing cops n' robbers with a real gun. Nobody thought twice about it. Those were the days.

The only caveat with the Johnny Eagle was that the bullets were a pain in the ass. They were plastic and broke easily. Also, the gun didn't take regular paper caps or those red dot plastic caps. It used these "greenie stik-m" caps made by mattel.
You had to stick them on individually to the bottom of the bullet. It was time consuming and a pain in the ass. If you wanted to play with that gun in the afternoon you had to sit all morning affixing those caps. And not all stores sold those caps so they could be hard to get sometimes.

But other than that the gun was a blast and I was the envy of the neighborhood. And those greenie caps smoked like crazy, almost like a real gun!
  #35  
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM
california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
As long as we're bragging about what cool toys we had, let me rub it in that I had THE clest toy gun ever made!!

Johnny Eagle Lieutenant.

No way would anyone make a cap gun this realistic today. High capacity magazine, working slide and extractor. It was absolutely brilliant! The only kid in our neighborhood that had anything even close to it had a real pistol. His Dad had brought this junky 1911 back from Korea. He removed the firing pin and glued a block of wood into the magazine well and his kid was playing cops n' robbers with a real gun. Nobody thought twice about it. Those were the days.

The only caveat with the Johnny Eagle was that the bullets were a pain in the ass. They were plastic and broke easily. Also, the gun didn't take regular paper caps or those red dot plastic caps. It used these "greenie stik-m" caps made by mattel.
You had to stick them on individually to the bottom of the bullet. It was time consuming and a pain in the ass. If you wanted to play with that gun in the afternoon you had to sit all morning affixing those caps. And not all stores sold those caps so they could be hard to get sometimes.

But other than that the gun was a blast and I was the envy of the neighborhood. And those greenie caps smoked like crazy, almost like a real gun!
I had one of the guns from that series, but it was a western type, single shot model. I also had the belt buckle Derringer model! The little pistol fit into the buckle and when you stuck out your stomach, it would flip out and shoot the bullet! I only ever had one box of the stick-em caps. They were expensive and the local dime store didn't have them.
  #36  
Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 AM
DesertDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,468
I remember those Greenie Stik-m-caps and the Shootin' Shells you'd stick 'em on. Besides the cap, you had to shove the plastic bullet into the brass case against the spring. When the the hammer hit the back of the case it would explode the cap and shove the cartridge forward, releasing the bullet to be propelled down the barrel with some force. All in all, it was only marginally less, "You'll shoot somebody's eye out, kid," than a BB gun. Since everything but the gun was lost or broken in about a week I guess it worked out safer in the end.

And pkbites was right, it took forever to prep things for about five minutes worth of shootin' -- dead opposite of the Henry's load on Sunday and shoot all week.

Last edited by DesertDog; 03-25-2019 at 08:32 AM.
  #37  
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
As long as we're bragging about what cool toys we had, let me rub it in that I had THE clest toy gun ever made!!

Johnny Eagle Lieutenant.

No way would anyone make a cap gun this realistic today. High capacity magazine, working slide and extractor. It was absolutely brilliant! The only kid in our neighborhood that had anything even close to it had a real pistol. His Dad had brought this junky 1911 back from Korea. He removed the firing pin and glued a block of wood into the magazine well and his kid was playing cops n' robbers with a real gun. Nobody thought twice about it. Those were the days.

The only caveat with the Johnny Eagle was that the bullets were a pain in the ass. They were plastic and broke easily. Also, the gun didn't take regular paper caps or those red dot plastic caps. It used these "greenie stik-m" caps made by mattel.
You had to stick them on individually to the bottom of the bullet. It was time consuming and a pain in the ass. If you wanted to play with that gun in the afternoon you had to sit all morning affixing those caps. And not all stores sold those caps so they could be hard to get sometimes.

But other than that the gun was a blast and I was the envy of the neighborhood. And those greenie caps smoked like crazy, almost like a real gun!
The Johnny Eagle guns were okay. They took hind tit to the Johnny 7 OMA, though. I know, I had both. But you know what? I don't give a dry shit about any of that. We are here to discuss bringing back the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery and making the World whole again!
  #38  
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
That was about when I got a Crossman pump BB gun for xmas. I remember wondering if my dad had lost his mind. We would go to Frick Park and hike back to a dump, where we would shoot bottles and such. Good times.

I had a Daisy but it was a cork ball (C-B) gun.
https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/1079/...jpg&quality=50
I was already shooting real firearms (I was around 8) and had a few of "my own" but we visited the local amusement park (Hanson's) and they had one game set up using those. You shot cigarette hard-paks/box-paks off a shelf and won chalk statues. I just loved the damn things (the guns) and I still have several of the chalk figures I won with them; the one gorilla is looking at me right now.

Flash forward 8 years and I was working at the park for the summer. I was hired for rides but some bug went through the games department and I ended up transferred with a cousin and a friend to games -- and I got to work THAT GAME! It was almost a dream come true; any time it was slow I could load up and do trick shots and all that over-the-shoulder-with-a-mirror stuff I had developed at home. Problem was, the dream became a nightmare when, ------ nobody told us the entire games department basically was skimming. So an older game that had been making like $150 a day suddenly started making more than twice that or more. And my kin and friend had similar results at their stations. Things got investigated, the games manager (nobody ever questioned why he was driving a Porsche?) got fired, and we were ----- not very popular with the older workers. Of the three of us I was the only one who finished the season and even odder I returned the next year.

OK --- mine broke in about 1975. And now I have to hit eBay and the auction sites and buy one. I've thought about them over the years, I still drive past where Hanson's was at least a couple times a year and until last year "my" old building was still standing ------- but the thread brought back even more. And I must have one.

<shaking fist> Damn you SDMB!!!!!!

  #39  
Old 03-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,356
You could even get capguns that had real pearl handle grips and came with a real leather, hand tooled, gunbelt.
  #40  
Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor's Avatar
Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 31,032
I had one, or something like it.
__________________
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."
~~~Dom Helder Camara
  #41  
Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 PM
pkbites's Avatar
pkbites is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Majikal Land O' Cheeze!
Posts: 10,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
But you know what? I don't give a dry shit about any of that. We are here to discuss bringing back the Electro Shot Shooting Gallery and making the World whole again!
WTH did you expect? You bring up the super awesome Electro Shot of course it's going to cause people to reminisce about the other great toys they had back in the day.

Like the Hot Wheels Thundershift 500 my younger brother had. I was already driving a real car when he got that and I still loved it.

We didn't have the Sizzlers set, but my Uncle did. (My grandmother got naughty in her later years so I had an uncle that was only a bit older than I). Thus an addition to the cool toys I had access to.
  #42  
Old 03-25-2019, 07:47 PM
california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

Like the Hot Wheels Thundershift 500 my younger brother had. I was already driving a real car when he got that and I still loved it.
I never saw one of those. But I had a Johnny Lightning 500 track that worked about the same way, but with hooks under the cars instead of the levers to push them.
  #43  
Old 03-26-2019, 10:14 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
WTH did you expect? You bring up the super awesome Electro Shot of course it's going to cause people to reminisce about the other great toys they had back in the day.
We were too poor to afford something fancy-schmancy like the Electro Shot. Heck we had to live on Scraps for a month!

And I still miss that dog.





(I have no idea what brought that joke on. Personally I blame Leviticus at times like this)
  #44  
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 AM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
We were too poor to afford something fancy-schmancy like the Electro Shot. Heck we had to live on Scraps for a month!

And I still miss that dog.





(I have no idea what brought that joke on. Personally I blame Leviticus at times like this)
Luxury!
  #45  
Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Luxury!
Just to see who is thinking ---------- I hate it when people use my middle name.

SPOILER:

Raymond Luxury Yacht



with the additional

You can just call me Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztZu5s0-QU

(bonus points if you got both)

Last edited by kopek; 03-27-2019 at 08:06 AM.
  #46  
Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,912
A little odd, the size of this thread, considering several posts of mine in the past that mentioned E.S.S.G and got back crickets.
"Bag the lion!" the ad announcer said. Yeah, right.
Fun, but gave me a bloody headache - noisier than shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
For some reason having a barroom in your basement was the thing back then, at least around here it was.
Almost deserving of its own thread - yeah - there had to be one of those "bar sets" along with the obligatory 70s basement wood panelling back then. Sorta like those flimsy swing sets (that mom thankfully never gave in to getting one) - they were used (with any real intent) probably three or times.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 03-31-2019 at 12:10 PM.
  #47  
Old 04-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Scumpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 14,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
A little odd, the size of this thread, considering several posts of mine in the past that mentioned E.S.S.G and got back crickets.
It's all in the wrist.
  #48  
Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,912
Supple?

There has to be a twist.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017