Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM

What's Your Alcohol Preference: Beer or Liquor?

I personally enjoy vodka with any juice/sports drink. I only enjoy flavored beers like Natural Light Strawberry Lemonade. I don't like the cheaper brands like Miller & Bud.

However, I'm not a big shot person, in general, but I enjoy a nice cocktail or two. Examples include: Long Island Iced Tea, Alabama Slammer, & Seven/Seven.

Furthermore, Fireball isn't that bad, even though it has cinnamon in it.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Liquor, mostly Scotch these days.

I can't stand the taste of beer.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM

I'll occasionally order a Guinness, porter, or lager, but I generally prefer hard cider -- not a beer, I realize, even though it's sometimes available on tap. The last few times I've ordered a cocktail, I've opted for a mojito, but I wouldn't really miss liquor if I could never have it again.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 PM

How can you like fireball if you don't like cinnamon? That's the only flavor it has.

I probably drink more liquor, but if I was going to pick one or the other for the rest of my life I'd probably go for beer.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM

90% beer. 8% bourbon/rye on the rocks. 2% mixed drinks/shots on rare occasions. I dont do fruity shit anymore. All the sugar is pukey hangover fuel.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Wine
Scotch and whiskey
Beer

In that order

I don't care for gin or vodka
Old 04-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Beer. But I'm not opposed to scotch or wine.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Beer, almost exclusively. I tried a flight of whiskeys at my local Irish pub after dinner one night and I was in bed asleep by 8:00. I'll have to remember that if I need to get up early, though...
Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
How can you like fireball if you don't like cinnamon? That's the only flavor it has.

I probably drink more liquor, but if I was going to pick one or the other for the rest of my life I'd probably go for beer.
Cinnamon only has a slight spicy taste to it, but it's tolerable for most people. However, when you mix cinnamon & alcohol together, the spice/burn levels increase, but it still goes well together.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
Cinnamon only has a slight spicy taste to it, but it's tolerable for most people. However, when you mix cinnamon & alcohol together, the spice/burn levels increase, but it still goes well together.
#ignitethenight
Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta3535 View Post
I personally enjoy vodka with any juice/sports drink. I only enjoy flavored beers like Natural Light Strawberry Lemonade. I don't like the cheaper brands like Miller & Bud.

However, I'm not a big shot person, in general, but I enjoy a nice cocktail or two. Examples include: Long Island Iced Tea, Alabama Slammer, & Seven/Seven.

Furthermore, Fireball isn't that bad, even though it has cinnamon in it.
Scotch (single malt but not highlands generally), and tequila are my drinks of preference. I'll drink bourbon too if it's good. Tequila is my favorite, again, if it's the good stuff. I'm not really into beer, to be honest. Just not my thing. I will drink a hard apple cider though, if it's really cold and it's hot outside.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I drink beer mostly. But I do enjoy good liquor.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 PM

My wife and I kind of cycle; it'll be wine for a few weeks, then beer for a few weeks, then cocktails for a few weeks.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 PM

Beer. I like spirits, but usually prefer beer.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Mostly wine, but will go through beer phases, and occasionally rum with a mixer. We have a kegerator in the basement that we haven't used in about six years, and my wife suggested we plug it in and get a quarter barrel this spring. Who am I to argue, so it looks like I'll be entering a beer phase for a while.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:09 PM

Beer, wine, and liquor; I appreciate them all.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
Beer. I like spirits, but usually prefer beer.
Agreed....
Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 AM

Beer
Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 AM

Beer for meals and regular getting drunk at home/among friends. I only drink liquor in bars, and then only in fruity little cocktails. Which is probably a good thing, since I'm an alcoholic and beer's punishing my liver enough I reckon. Don't really care to graduate to quaffing straight vodka.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
What he said. Just be interesting. Life is too short to waste calories, money, or liver space on boring booze.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:22 AM

In order of preference.

Cider
Cocktails and mixed drinks
Straight good liquor
Wine
Literally anything else, up to and including gasoline
Beer
Extract of existential dread
Ouzo
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 AM

wine > stout & porter > mead > cider > some liquors (love a single malt, martini a G&T) > other beer > other liquors (not a huge fan of tequila, for instance)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 AM

It really depends.

On the rare occasion I'm out it's always beer. I'm cheap lol.

In the summer I lean towards beer. Nothing better than a cold one at the end of the day.

Cooler weather calls for harder stuff for me. Vodka or Gin in Mt Dew please.

Throw in the occasional shot of sambuca or firewater and I'm happy.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 AM

If I'm drinking by myself or with my father, I'll drink bourbon or Irish whiskey.
If I'm drinking with my wife, we'll usually have rum&cokes or screwdrivers (and ouzo with ice water in the summer, to honor her Balkan heritage).
If I'm out with friends, I'll drink beer.
If I'm at a party with an open bar, I'll drink vodka tonics - they're hard to screw up, and they don't stain.
Sometime I'll have wine with dinner - but only when we have company, because otherwise my wife will drink half a glass and I'll feel compelled to finish the bottle.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 AM

if I'm drinking any type of beer that's not flavored im so smashed on the hard stuff i can't taste anything

a relative in the mid-south used to have a still and hed send us a case of mason jars that were filled every year I wasn't allowed to have more than 2 jars because I liked it too much ......
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Wine
Cider
Cocktails / Vodka infusions
Non - IPA beer
Straight liquor and IPA makes me sadder than not drinking it because it tastes so bad.

I can't have more than a couple drinks worth of cocktails because the high sugar content actually causes a worse hangover than the alcohol, and after 1 beer I am no longer in the mood for more. I've never had enough cider to worry about the sugar in it, but I prefer dry anyway and it is voluminous enough that I can enjoy it for longer before refilling.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Exactly. The mood varies. It's to say "As long as it's not gin or in an old fruit jar, it's hip for consideration. At a sporting event, beer is king and i don't mind the standard Budweiser or Miller products. However, I don't buy those to keep at home. When it's hot outside, a fruity lager or pilsner or white sangria.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 AM

Wine first. Wine second. Maybe the odd gin and tonic on a sunny evening.

I've gone off beer as I've got older, makes me feel sleepy and bloated.

I am rather partial to a negroni as an aperitif.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 AM

Beer almost exclusively, wine with some meals, and very little whiskey after breakfast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM

Beer-IPA. I don't drink booze anymore because I'm an idiot and I don't do it right.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Never have been able to figure out what people like about beer. I'm not being snarky - I just don't see the appeal. I even participated in a beer tasting where the host talked about each sample before we tried it - obviously I missed out on the subtleties he described. I found them all to be awful.

So my conditional answer is liquor, pretty much limited to Kahlua and cream and the occasional sweet mixed drink. To be honest, tho, I almost never drink unless I want help falling asleep.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Wine is my go-to these days, alternating between chardonnay and either a cabernet or merlot. If it's not wine, then it's usually IPA or imperial stout. Once in a while, I'll go for an old fashioned cocktail - just one.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

In order of preference:

Cocktail drinks with a bourbon or vodka base
Bourbon or Irish neat
Stout or Porter
Wine
Rum or Tequila drinks, if I'm on vacation in the tropics
Scotch

I don't really do:

Fruity or milkshake type mixed drinks
Rye
Gin
Beer
Cider
Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Beer-IPA. I don't drink booze anymore because I'm an idiot and I don't do it right.
Years ago I was out with my friend Mike in his neighborhood above Pittsburgh's Southside, bar hopping. We were drinking beer, but I suggested a round of shots. He told me to go ahead, but that nobody would serve him liquor.

I laughed and asked the bartender for two shots of whatever. The bartender got this solemn look and told me he'd serve me anything I wanted, but it was beer only for Mike. I ordered shots in the next two places we stopped and the exact same routine happened each time. I never heard the rest of the story.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 AM

It used to be liquor, specifically Canadian Club (yeah, I was a cheap date ), but for a while now it's been beer, and usually not even good beer. My beer fridge is full of what's commonly known as "lawnmower beer." Tecate, MGD, High Life, Yuengling (yeah, I'm still a cheap date); occasionally I'll spring for a sixer of Guinness or some other type of marzen/Vienna lager.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Wine > Liquor >> Beer
Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Yes
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I primarily drink beer. I particularly like Guinness and other stouts / porters, but I drink a variety of types and brands (though I'm not a fan of the uber-hoppy IPAs that are so popular lately).

I also like some red wines, though I don't drink them often.

I don't generally drink cocktails. I like Scotch and Irish whiskey, but that's a case of sipping a glass of whiskey with a splash of water in it, rather than drinking it as a "shot."
Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Yeah, if I'm drinking shots I drink vodka, because if I'm not going to taste anything anyway, I might as well drink something with no flavor.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM

I couldn't tell you the last time I had any liquor. It's beer only for me; I love the hoppy IPAs, but have made an effort to order something else lately.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
In order of preference.

Cider
Cocktails and mixed drinks
Straight good liquor
Wine
Literally anything else, up to and including gasoline
Beer
Extract of existential dread
Ouzo
How did Ouzo get so high up the list?

Ahem. Beer. But it's always nice to end the night with a whisky. Or two.

j
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM

wine with meals, sometimes
the occasional scotch, I don't have a favorite scotch since I'm not very experienced with it, but I do know which ones I don't like at all
a beer now and then, but I'm picky and don't really care for most beers. I don't get the IPA thing, and beer is far down on the list of choices
I don't really drink much and don't understand liking it enough to have more than general preferences.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM

I'm a cocktail kinda gal (not too sweet ones), and I love good wines. I like a beer in the summer or at the ballpark.

Even though I'm nearly all Scottish on my dad's side, I've been told I'm a waste of good Scotch, so I don't do whisky.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Beer or liquor... why can't I have both?

Seriously, beer with food. Liquor to sedate you.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
How did Ouzo get so high up the list?

Ahem. Beer. But it's always nice to end the night with a whisky. Or two.

j
What's your problem with ouzo, malakas?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Rum. But only at home because most bars only stock Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Myers, Kraken or Malibu (fun fact—because it’s less than 80 proof Malibu is technically not rum). There’s some great American craft rums out there and I’ve recently gotten into rum from Barbados—specifically anything from Foursquare. I also have a few bottles from Jamaica in the rum locker. Yes, I am a rum snob.

At last count I have 18 different bottles of rum. When bad weather hits most people run out for bread and milk—I run out for more rum.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Beer. My favorites are Dos Equis green bottle and Pacifico. I have to store my recycling and haul it to the recycling place so I don't normally get anything in bottles. Cans are just so much easier to deal with because I can crush them and store more. Pacifico comes in cans but my liquor store only carries it sporadically. Normally I go with Yuengling.

About once a year I buy a bottle of bourbon. "Regular" Knob Creek.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
...Thereís some great American craft rums out there and Iíve recently gotten into rum from Barbadosóspecifically anything from Foursquare. I also have a few bottles from Jamaica in the rum locker. Yes, I am a rum snob.

At last count I have 18 different bottles of rum. When bad weather hits most people run out for bread and milkóI run out for more rum.
What are some of your favorites? I like a lot of what Plantation puts out, as well as of the Haitian runs from Barbancourt. Wray and Nephew makes a nice ovenproof rum. Smith and Cross makes a tasty, very brown sugary, but dry, pot still rum.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Wine 90%
Beer 5% mainly stout
Gin 4%
other spirits 1%

No sugar shit for me!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
What are some of your favorites? I like a lot of what Plantation puts out, as well as of the Haitian runs from Barbancourt. Wray and Nephew makes a nice ovenproof rum. Smith and Cross makes a tasty, very brown sugary, but dry, pot still rum.
You canít go wrong with Wray and Nephew. I also like Hampden Estate Rum Fire. I havenít been able to get into Plantation although it gets good reviews. Plantation is a bit deceptive when it comes to their product. They add sugar during bottling but wonít admit it. Iím all about transparency so until they admit what they do Iím going to stay away.

For American rums I suggest Montanya from Colorado and Privateer from Massachusetts if you can find them. General consensus is that Privateer is the best tasting rum made in the U.S.

My go to is The Real McCoy. Made by Foursquare in Barbados itís a blend of column and pot still rum, aged in oak bourbon barrels. I recently picked up a bottle of The Real McCoy 10, a blend of bourbon oak aged and virgin oak aged. That oneís definitely a sipper.