Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 AM

according to a database the most favored ice cream is ....

cookies and creme?

here's the story: https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...34H?li=BBnb7Kz

I've never heard of the database that was used

whats everyone's opinion?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:56 AM

I know kids love cookies and creme - my grandkids anyway. Me? I always look at all the flavors, but then order/buy chocolate. I'm never disappointed.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 AM

What database is it you think was used? The article you link to says "in California, the most-Googled and presumably most-purchased flavor was tutti frutti,", and the headline at Workwise, a software company, was "The most searched flavors".

It's a nonsense "study" of, most likely, irrelevant data.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

The biggest selling flavor is and will always be... vanilla. But Vanilla top ice cream flavor isn't a click-bait worthy headline.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
What database is it you think was used? The article you link to says "in California, the most-Googled and presumably most-purchased flavor was tutti frutti,", and the headline at Workwise, a software company, was "The most searched flavors".

It's a nonsense "study" of, most likely, irrelevant data.
It accomplished the purpose, though, which was to promote the company that sponsored the study. It's actually pretty clever; they probably didn't spend a lot on the study itself, but it results in multiple articles about the "study", almost all of which mention the company that sponsored it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:04 AM

It's weird to correlate Google searches with preferences. How do they even make that connection? I guess if I Google "cookies and cream ice cream near me" it makes sense, but I would only do that if I was on vacation and not actually living somewhere.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Obligatory XKCD:
https://xkcd.com/1845/
Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Apparently we all buy vanilla and chocolate in that order, but neither are favorites. I don't buy that survey. People buy what they want, and they buy vanilla.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Complications to that premise, BobLibDem:
One's favorite (whatever it is) might or might not be available at the store one shops at, and might (if it's a specialty flavor) be more expensive. But vanilla is always available, including in the cheap brands.
One might be buying for a group, and so getting a flavor that nobody dislikes, rather than one that anyone likes.
One might be buying ice cream for specialty uses like root beer floats, for which vanilla is best, even though, if the ice cream were unadorned, something else might be preferred.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Apparently we all buy vanilla and chocolate in that order, but neither are favorites. I don't buy that survey. People buy what they want, and they buy vanilla.
Yeah, I think vanilla is number one because it’s the base for most sundaes, milkshakes, malteds, ice cream sodas (does any make ice cream sodas any more?).

Personally, I LIKE vanilla.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:56 PM

I love vanilla with caramel or chocolate swirls. After that, chocolate.

I have never tried cookies and creme. I like mint, and used to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream cones, but the flavor gets old after a while.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Two words: French Silk (Edys/Dreyers).
Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

My opinion? Vanilla is my go-to flavor. Second would be butter pecan. But, honestly, I can't remember the last time I bought butter pecan ice cream. The last hundred ice creams I've had were probably vanilla or some variation of vanilla (like vanilla with caramel, vanilla with some kind of syrup on top, vanilla in an ice cream sandwich or Klondike bar, etc.) That said, I'm NOT a big ice cream eater. Maybe, over the course of a year, I'll average a scoop a month.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Vanilla, because it goes on strawberry shortcake, berry cobbler, pie, etc. French Vanilla if I'm letting the cats lick my spoon. Havoc just lurves French Vanilla.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 PM

I think vanilla would top a poll of ice cream flavors bought at a supermarket or as an accompaniment/ingredient. We'll bake a pie for company, and I'll run down to the local custard* joint and buy a quart of... vanilla.

But if I walk into an ice cream place with dozens of flavors, there's no way I'd choose vanilla. Not when there's Orange Custard Chocolate Chip, or Salted Basil Lingonberry. Or Anything With Triple Chocolate In The Name...

*If you haven't tried "frozen custard", it has less air and more butterfat. Yummmmm...
Old 06-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Vanilla, because it goes on strawberry shortcake, berry cobbler, pie, etc. French Vanilla if I'm letting the cats lick my spoon. Havoc just lurves French Vanilla.
Yeah, French vanilla tops regular vanilla, because of the eggs.

I love custard, but you have to go at least 500 miles from the east coast to find it.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pulykammel @13: Butter Pecan is excellent, but it pales next to Maple Walnut. I can’t get MW around NYC, but it is plentiful in New England. When I go up to Maine on vacation next month, I plan to indulge in both the elusive Maple Walnut and Black Raspberry ice cream. Although if there is a church pie sale, I will get a good local vanilla to scoop over my blueberry pie.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 06-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Moose tracks.

{{{{}Mike drop}}}}}

(Or Neopolitan)

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Vanilla gets shit on but a good vanilla ice cream is sublime.

Personally the best ice cream I've ever tried was some kind of blueberry cobbler. I have no idea who made it or if it is even available anymore.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 AM

Depends where its served. Room 7 off the Interstate in western New Mexico was pretty good. Don't recall the flavor. Maybe it was Honey.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

A flavor I remember after more than ten years was one offered for a short time by Dreyer's: Chilly Chili, vanilla (duh) with a mole ribbon and hot Spanish peanuts. Alas, it hasn't been seen again no doubt due to low sales.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The biggest selling flavor is and will always be... vanilla. But Vanilla top ice cream flavor isn't a click-bait worthy headline.
Well, you don't tell them in the headline! Sheesh!

"This flavor of ice cream is the most popular and we can't even"
"We just learned what the most popular ice cream flavor is and it has blown our minds"
"Researchers have discovered something about ice cream that you never expected"
"Have kids? You're probably buying them the wrong flavor ice cream."
Old 06-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post

"We just learned what the most popular ice cream flavor is and it has blown our minds"
Claim you're not racist? Your favorite ice cream flavor says otherwise
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough became originators Ben & Jerry's most popular flavor three months after they introduced it into stores. And everybody copied it. And it was hailed as one of the best innovations of the decade.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I worked off and on at Baskin-Robbins for a number of years, starting in high school and then into college years. We could tell what was selling, not only by what we scooped, but by what we would order each month. Certain flavors were "core" flavors that got ordered every month; others were seasonal or new or otherwise rotated.

As you would expect, the #1 flavor was vanilla. Vanilla was the base of just about every sundae, milkshake, malted, float, ice-cream-cake order, etc.

But by far, BY FAR, the most popular flavor to scoop onto a cone or into a cup was pralines 'n' cream. A typical monthly order would be 15 tubs of vanilla, 10 tubs of pralines ' n cream, 3 tubs of chocolate, and 1 or 2 tubs of everything else. It wasn't even close.

Last edited by divemaster; 06-04-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post

True, but those who fall for it feel like Ralphie after he get is Little Orphan Anni decoder disk. "Ovaltine? A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
As you would expect, the #1 flavor was vanilla. Vanilla was the base of just about every sundae, milkshake, malted, float, ice-cream-cake order, etc.

But by far, BY FAR, the most popular flavor to scoop onto a cone or into a cup was pralines 'n' cream. A typical monthly order would be 15 tubs of vanilla, 10 tubs of pralines ' n cream, 3 tubs of chocolate, and 1 or 2 tubs of everything else. It wasn't even close.
I'm surprised how few chocolate orders there are; could it be the demand gets split among all the sub-varieties?

When DesertRoomie and I go to B-R she generally orders a chocolate shake made with a chocolate base (and syrup) rather than a vanilla base.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I'll very rarely order chocolate from a place like Baskin-Robbins, because any place that has that much variety will usually have some flavor like "triple chocolate fudge" or "death by chocolate" or "chocolate overload", that I'll order instead. On the other hand, if my options are chocolate, vanilla, or swirl, I'll get the chocolate every time.

And "chocolate" has just done that thing where a word that's repeated too much loses its meaning.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Oh, yeah. There was certainly a large variety of chocolates. Chocolate almond, fudge brownie and peanut butter & chocolate were always in big demand. Rocky road. German chocolate cake. Etc.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Addendum: I've also found that, when confronted by a long menu, I can usually ask the scooper "What's your death-by-chocolate flavor?", and they'll nod knowingly and go "Oh, you want the _____.".
Old 06-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Moose tracks.

{{{{}Mike drop}}}}}

(Or Neopolitan)
YEEESSSSS !!!! Just good ol' Deans Moose Tracks. The original version though, not the newer Chocolate Moose Tracks.

My all time favorite was from Edy's (Dreyer's) from at least 30 years ago and I've never seen it since - Malted Swiss Chocolate. A Vanilla base flavored with malt and lots of bits of a really good chocolate, think something like Lindt. If I could choose just one food item from my younger days to be brought back, that would be it.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I get vanilla to serve with cake and pie, and it complements most everything. But if I'm just eating ice cream, it's chocolate chocolate chip, or Cherry Garcia, or raspberry sorbet, or...
Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM

A well made peach ice cream is delightful. I always order it if it's on a ice cream shops menu.

2nd choice is black walnut. Baskin Robbins sometimes has it.

Peppermint is third choice.

Plain vanilla is always good.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Cookies and creme is my favorite.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Vanilla, mint chocolate chip and pistachio are right at the top of the ice cream pyramid for me. I also really like sorbets, particularly lemon. Gelato, of course, totally fucking rocks (and custards are cool too).
Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Maple walnut, butter pecan, pistachio. I am a slave to the nut. I think vanilla with a streak of marzipan and a sprinkling of toasted almonds would be good. I don't like chocolate chips in ice cream, they're too hard and tasteless, and don't like mint chocolate chip in particular. It tastes like mouthwash.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

There's a local creamery that makes a heavenly raspberry truffle. I had some yesterday.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

I fixed the title. I would have done it earlier, but I thought that maybe "satabase" was the name this company used for its own particular brand of statistical noise.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking "stored on a particular type of hard drive" myself.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:40 AM

I was thinking “sated + database”.

(I was also thinking “mint chocolate chip”.)