Old 06-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Request to Re-Open the Lawnmower Thread

Re: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...3#post21700413

ecg certainly meant well when he closed the thread, but the result was that he silenced women. Being silenced is far more off-putting than a few squicky comments.

In the thread, women were discussing issues of great importance to us. It gave us an opportunity to engage with men, and more importantly, with each other on a variety of relevant topics.

Yes, the thread was a bit contentious, but thatís what made it interesting. Lively discussion should be encouraged, not squelched. If youíre truly committed to making the board a better place for women, then let us talk, even if it makes some men uncomfortable.

I request that the thread be re-opened.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM

I agree with Green Bean, it wouldn't hurt to reopen it. She made a lot of very good points in that thread and it wouldn't hurt people to listen. It may even open more people's minds.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:30 PM

I see Green Bean's points, but have doubts that the thread could be salvaged.

The rape comment, which I reported, certainly merited a note or warning. This appalling rape joke (another thread, another forum, probably different mod), certainly does. I also reported it but no action has been taken.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:01 PM

What I see a thread that should have been shut down from the get-go, due to the creepy, stalker actions of the OP which are almost certainly illegal (if they actually even happened, which I increasingly doubt).

It's unfortunate that some people tried to have a serious conversation in reply, but, IMHO, people should have reported the thread, and only put in effort in replies, knowing the thread would likely be closed.

I would also argue that no one is being silenced, since they can start a new thread. There is definitely a chilling effect, but, in cases where the thread itself is so utterly flawed, I think that is an acceptable loss. If the thread should have been closed before the comments were made that would be chilled, I'm okay with the thread being closed.

That said, I do continue to argue that there is often a jump to closing threads when responses to individuals would be better. I just don't think that's the case when the thread itself is bad, from a poster that already has a history of problematic threads.

Finally, I do not like the suggestion that the thread was closed due to male discomfort. The closing note says nothing of the sort. It talks about comments that were out of line, and then mentions that the thread itself is extremely problematic. And I argue that was so from the beginning.

In fact, I would argue the lines the OP crossed should probably warrant some review of their posting privileges. The thread was not merely contentious.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What I see a thread that should have been shut down from the get-go, due to the creepy, stalker actions of the OP which are almost certainly illegal (if they actually even happened, which I increasingly doubt).
I don't agree with LiveFree, but what do you think is "almost certainly illegal"?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
If every thread with a creepy OP is shut down, there would be no board. Hyperbole, of course, but OPs by misguided people have spawned some of our best threads.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
I request that the thread be re-opened.
Ok.

Done.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:02 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
I also reported it but no action has been taken.
Apologies for the delay. I haven't been around much today.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Thank you.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Apologies for the delay. I haven't been around much today.
No worries and thanks for dealing with it.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Thanks for both, ecg!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 PM

Great decision! I applaud it!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 AM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
I don't agree with LiveFree, but what do you think is "almost certainly illegal"?
Offhand I would say trespass and possibly others?