Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

NBA 2019-2020 Season

The new NBA Season officially kicks off Sunday June, 30th at 6 PM. This is when Free Agency officially opens and all those NBA Draft Weekend trades become official. I figure it's time for a new thread to commemorate the occasion.

Past threads:
NBA 2018-2019 Season
2018 NBA post-season
2018 NBA Offseason
LeBron Signs With Lakers
2017 NBA Playoffs
NBA Season 16-17
NBA Season 2015-2016
2015 NBA Playoffs
NBA 2014-15 thread
NBA Playoffs 2014
2013 NBA Playoffs
2012 NBA off-seasonNBA Free Agency: The Great LeBronWadeBosharama sweepstakes
2010 NBA Playoffs!

Other interesting Links:
2019 NBA Draft Results
2019 NBA Trade Tracker
2019 NBA Free Agent Tracker
2019 NBA Futures

Here's what are probably the biggest story lines going into the new season:
  • KD's Blown Achilles
  • Klay's Blown ACL
  • Where does KD land next year?
  • Does Kawhi re-sign with the Raps?
  • AD goes to the Lakers for a TON of picks
  • Zion goes to the Pelicans along with a TON of picks
  • Kyrie destroys the Celtics, who's the next victim?
  • Can the Warriors compete with just Curry?
  • Are the Celtics toast in 2020?
  • Did the Rockets championship window just close?
  • What's happening with Jimmy and the 76ers?
  • Worst contract going forward, Chris Paul, Andrew Wiggins or John Wall?

I expect there to be a fair bit of news and rumors over the weekend. Let's discuss.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had a ton to discuss these last couple years with the Bulls being in full-on tank mode, but there's a little bit of optimism going around these days. We got absolutely gutted by the new NBA lottery system not that the old system was any better for us in '17 and '18. But, we like the guys we got and we like the upside for this team.

The Bulls won the Bulter trade in decisive fashion, LaVine's living up to him contract extension. Markkanen and Wendell should both be coming back healthy and ready to make a leap. Coby White seems like a really pleasant kid who fills a big need for us, hopefully he can make Kris Dunn expendable. Otto Porter seems like more of an asset than a salary burden at this point. There's a bunch of likable role players on the bench who won't be part of the long term plan. We only have one really bad contract in Felicio and we've got quite a bit of cash to spend this offseason. Most of the fans want Patrick Beverly to be the big acquisition this offseason and I think I'm on board with that plan, but he'll be a hot commodity for those contenders with a not-quite-enough cap to land a max guy.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 PM

My Pacers will probably still be without Victor Oladipo for part of the 2019-20 season, but I don't mind, as long as he's close to 100% when he returns.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It seems to me Kawhi Leonard's decision is clearly the single biggest improvement to one's Bayesian analysis of the season that there could possibly be. If he remains in Toronto they are a favourite. If he leaves, they not only won't be a favourite but might ave to significantly retool the team.

If Leonard goes to the Clippers, that might well make them the best team in the West.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I haven't had a ton to discuss these last couple years with the Bulls being in full-on tank mode, but there's a little bit of optimism going around these days. We got absolutely gutted by the new NBA lottery system not that the old system was any better for us in '17 and '18. But, we like the guys we got and we like the upside for this team.

The Bulls won the Bulter trade in decisive fashion, LaVine's living up to him contract extension. Markkanen and Wendell should both be coming back healthy and ready to make a leap. Coby White seems like a really pleasant kid who fills a big need for us, hopefully he can make Kris Dunn expendable. Otto Porter seems like more of an asset than a salary burden at this point. There's a bunch of likable role players on the bench who won't be part of the long term plan. We only have one really bad contract in Felicio and we've got quite a bit of cash to spend this offseason. Most of the fans want Patrick Beverly to be the big acquisition this offseason and I think I'm on board with that plan, but he'll be a hot commodity for those contenders with a not-quite-enough cap to land a max guy.
Porter is a silly good 3 and D guy when healthy, with an almost as silly contract. Near 56 million over the next two years. Nevertheless, I'd have liked to have seen him on the Rockets, and indeed on their semi-official fan message board, there was an 'Otto Porter Jr. Movement' to proselytize for bringing him aboard. Good fun.

Wall's is the worst contract, given the Achilles issue, and the attitude. Not that Paul's contract isn't awful. 'Supposedly' some of his issues at the beginning of last year were that he had some nutrition and workout issues, which resulted in him being overweight and lacking condition, which led to getting injured. Supposedly, those issues will be addressed for the 2019 season. I hope. That said, point guards fall off a cliff at age 34, and I don't see a return to the days of .270 WS/48. Though he should be better than the .170 WS/48 he was last year.

Whole lot of ESPN smoke about Jimmy Butler maybe/maybe not going to the Rockets. I don't see it, but I see why the Rockets would be interested. I'm almost positive a third team would need to get involved for Butler and BYC issues. So which of the potential third teams needs a young big like Clint Capela?
Old 06-27-2019, 09:29 AM

This tweet though succinctly expresses some of the concerns I'd have if the Heavens opened and blessed the Rockets with Jimmy Butler. The replies to the tweet with different Jimmy Butler gifs, are the icing on the cake.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:54 AM

The West might finally be wide open and the Nuggets, who challenged GS pretty hard for the best regular season record, appear to be watching from the sidelines. I guess it's not NY or LA, so they don't even bother trying to mix it up with big name free agents. They've got an option to extend Paul Millsap, which they would be insane to do at $30M. Assuming they're not going to land one of the really big name FA's, I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Bojan Bogdanovic.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 AM

As critical as I was of The Process, I admit it worked, and the Wizards need it now, badly. John Wall is a write-off. Beal is a good player but is wasting his talents here. The cupboard is completely bare. Time to sign the 8 cheapest guys they can find and lose a record number of games and hope the ping-pong balls bounce their way a half dozen times or so. It's their only real hope.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
As critical as I was of The Process, I admit it worked, and the Wizards need it now, badly. John Wall is a write-off. Beal is a good player but is wasting his talents here. The cupboard is completely bare. Time to sign the 8 cheapest guys they can find and lose a record number of games and hope the ping-pong balls bounce their way a half dozen times or so. It's their only real hope.
Agree 100%, as you may have guessed from my alias. This is the perfect time to deal Beal, with a number of teams suddenly seeing themselves as legitimate contenders in the wake of the GSW injuries. Wait and see who still has a need after the FA dust settles and then see which buyer is most desperate.

Thankfully we've got a GM in place who has job security and will have no reason to do anything other than act in the best long-term interests of the team
Old 06-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
This tweet though succinctly expresses some of the concerns I'd have if the Heavens opened and blessed the Rockets with Jimmy Butler. The replies to the tweet with different Jimmy Butler gifs, are the icing on the cake.
Enjoyed that quite a bit.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and DeAndre Jordan are all going to the Brooklyn Nets.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Gonna be tricky to get much discussion going with the Dope's hamsters on life support, so that sucks, but it's been wild listening to all the rumors these last couple days.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, and DeAndre Jordan are all going to the Brooklyn Nets.
Knicks fans on suicide watch.

Blazers, Lillard agree to $196M deal, sources say

Sources: Middleton will rejoin Bucks for $178M

Couple big contracts going out to keep these guys home.

Sources: Pelicans land Redick for 2 years, $26.5M

Zion gets a veteran Dookie to play with. Seems like a pretty nice fit actually.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Big RFA move from ESPN.

Quote:
Malcolm Brogdon has agreed to a four-year, $85 million deal with the Indiana Pacers, league sources told ESPN.

Indiana is trading a first-round draft pick in 2020 and two future second-round picks to the Milwaukee Bucks for Brogdon, league sources said.
He'll be filling a hole on the Pacers roster. Jazz, Bogdanovic reach 4-year deal, sources say

Last edited by Omniscient; 06-30-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Kemba Walker agrees to 4-year deal with Celtics

And the Celtics get their Kyrie updrade. Rumor is that this means Terry Rozier is now a UFA in order to clear the cap room.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
6:41 p.m. ET: Free agent Kristaps Porzingis' five-year, $158 max deal with the Dallas Mavericks is fully guaranteed, sources tell ESPN's Tim MacMahon. Dallas did not push for any injury protection or minutes and game clauses for Porzingis, who missed all of last season while rehabbing a torn ACL.
No link yet, but this isn't very surprising.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Sources: Rubio gets 3-year, $51M deal from Suns

Not exactly sure how well he'll work alongside Booker. We'll see.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Sources: Sixers keep Harris for 5 years, $180M

Sixers going huge for Harris. Not exactly sure what this means for their cap but seems like it signals the end of the Jimmy Butler era.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Couple weird ones from earlier this weekend that haven't been mentioned yet.

Reports: Mirotic to leave NBA for EuroLeague

Collison retires from NBA at 31 to focus on faith

I mean, WTF?
Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Report: Thaddeus Young signing three-year, $41M contract with Bulls

Pretty much the only news out of Chicago so far. I like Young but I'm not exactly sure what this indicates for the roster. We needed help at PG and maybe at C or SG, SF and PF we're kinda stacked up. Don't think this leaves us with enough room to sign Beverly.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

This one came down yesterday.

Pistons reach two-year, $15M deal with Rose
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

The Knicks are telling people that they were unwilling to offer KD the full max. My thoughts:
  1. They are lying. This is an after-the-fact smokescreen to deflect the fact that KD basically wouldn't give them the time of day.
  2. If true, the Knicks are the dumbest franchise to ever walk the planet. They KNEW that 2 or 3 teams were willing to give the max including the Warriors. Did they seriously think they'd get some kind of discount? If they didn't want to offer the max they shouldn't have wasted anyone's time here.
  3. If there's any truth to this, what are the chances that KD when into the offseason basically certain he was Knicks and suddenly flipped and went to the Nets as a contingency?
  4. Kyrie hated being second fiddle to LeBron and KD isn't exactly a warm and fuzzy guy, do we think this pairing is going to work for the long haul?

Last edited by Omniscient; 06-30-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Kawhi Leonard *crickets*
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Sources: Heat finalizing sign-and-trade for Butler

Huge shake up in the power structure in the East. Not sure what the Heat really have to send back and balance that trade, but I think this will probably be a pretty nice landing spot for Jimmy. He'll be the alpha there and I wouldn't be surprised if it helps the Heat recruit more help down the road.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Sources: Heat finalizing sign-and-trade for Butler

Huge shake up in the power structure in the East. Not sure what the Heat really have to send back and balance that trade, but I think this will probably be a pretty nice landing spot for Jimmy. He'll be the alpha there and I wouldn't be surprised if it helps the Heat recruit more help down the road.
It certainly makes life more interesting in the East. I need to figure out exactly who is on Dallas at this point.

Last edited by drm; 06-30-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

The Sixers, Celtics, Bucks, Heat, Pacers and Nets all totally retooled. Toronto if Kawhi comes back will be in the mix too. Not sure if the East is decidedly better than the West if Kawhi stays, but it'll be interesting.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
The Knicks are telling people that they were unwilling to offer KD the full max. My thoughts:
  1. They are lying. This is an after-the-fact smokescreen to deflect the fact that KD basically wouldn't give them the time of day.
  2. If true, the Knicks are the dumbest franchise to ever walk the planet. They KNEW that 2 or 3 teams were willing to give the max including the Warriors. Did they seriously think they'd get some kind of discount? If they didn't want to offer the max they shouldn't have wasted anyone's time here.
  3. If there's any truth to this, what are the chances that KD when into the offseason basically certain he was Knicks and suddenly flipped and went to the Nets as a contingency?
  4. Kyrie hated being second fiddle to LeBron and KD isn't exactly a warm and fuzzy guy, do we think this pairing is going to work for the long haul?
I’m glad the Knicks missed out on KD, Irving, and Zion. It seemed to me that Knicks fans were feeling entitled to getting all three of them, as if they should have gone to New York just because they’re the Knicks and of course they should get all the best players. Couldn’t have happened to a more entitled bunch of fans.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 06-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Sources: Russell joining GSW, Iguodala to Grizz

This one is a little crazy to me. The Warriors are committing a max deal to Russell to fill in for KD but they already have Curry and most people expect Klay to be back too. Do they need 3 guards? Does this signal a change that sends Klay to the Lakers? Can Curry and Russell share the ball? Weird. Though I do get the win-now urgency the Warriors are demonstrating.

Iggy also gets shipped out to retire to Memphis. Not much thanks there. Haven't seen what the Nets are getting back on that deal unless this somehow connects to the KD deal.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Rumor is that it's a Milwaukee 1st?

I got back into the NBA a bit through the Nets last year - I'm less than thrilled with the developments. Russell was easy to root for; Kyrie seems the exact opposite. Yeah, he's clearly better than Russell; but Kyrie's not getting any better and Russell's got room to grow.
As great as KD is, that injury really scares me.
And I'm not sure why they needed Deandre Jordan when they've got Jarrett Allen....

I get that the point was to use all their cap space to sign two stars to max contracts. I just wish it wasn't those two, especially at the cost of Russell. But I don't know that there was a better option - there's no way Kahwi was coming to Brooklyn.

But hey, at least I can enjoy the Knicks fan's misery!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Couldnít have happened to a more entitled bunch of fans.
The Knicks have sucked for almost 20 years, and haven't won a championship since 1973. It's a fanbase that is seriously aching for their team to be relevant, and supports the team far more than the team has deserved.

You're going to knock them for hoping they could attract the same free agents that the Nets just acquired?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
The Knicks have sucked for almost 20 years, and haven't won a championship since 1973. It's a fanbase that is seriously aching for their team to be relevant, and supports the team far more than the team has deserved.

You're going to knock them for hoping they could attract the same free agents that the Nets just acquired?
Maybe Iíve gotten the wrong impression, but I didnít get the vibe that Knicks fans were merely hoping they could attract some top free agents. I got the vibe that they felt the Knicks were entitled to get those free agents as well as to getting Zion Williamson. Thatís what Iím knocking them for.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Wizards are nicely building a 70-loss team. It's gonna be a bloodbath!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Maybe Iíve gotten the wrong impression, but I didnít get the vibe that Knicks fans were merely hoping they could attract some top free agents. I got the vibe that they felt the Knicks were entitled to get those free agents as well as to getting Zion Williamson. Thatís what Iím knocking them for.
I mean, we don't call them fans for being rational. FYI, the Bulls' young core is going to the ECF at LEAST, this year.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 PM

SI.com says there are rumors that after completing the sign-and-trade with the Nets to bring D'Angelo Russell, that the Warriors are going to trade him. Trade him to where, they didn't say.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM

Could be trolling, but there are several tweets from "insiders" (and the comedian Michael Rapoport, of all things) that Kawhi Leonard's going to the Lakers.

Joy.

Adam Silver must be thrilled. Lakers vs the East all over again. Almost makes me want to pick up a coke habit.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
SI.com says there are rumors that after completing the sign-and-trade with the Nets to bring D'Angelo Russell, that the Warriors are going to trade him. Trade him to where, they didn't say.
They just resigned Looney to 15 over 3, which they don't have salary room to do, being hard capped from signing and trading Russell. So something's got to give. Playing Russell and Curry at the same time seemed really silly anyway. Wonder who needs a point guard, and has something the Warriors want?

Oh, and thanks Omni, for all of the posts you've put up the last few days. Not your fault no one wanted to discuss the NBA here. I appreciated them, at least.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-01-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Oh, and thanks Omni, for all of the posts you've put up the last few days. Not your fault no one wanted to discuss the NBA here. I appreciated them, at least.
Seconded.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

These sign and trades are confusing. I'm no capologist, but at some point I'm going to need to figure out what the actual terms were and try and piece it together. I think the Russell and Durant deals were both sign-and-trades balancing each other out, but I haven't seen them reported as part of the same transaction anywhere.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I read that because it was a sign and trade (or a max deal, not sure which is the key factor) Russell cannot be traded again until December at the earliest. I suppose when Klay comes back they'll probably want to invest a bit less in the backcourt so we'll see what shakes out, but if that reporting is accurate they can't flip him right away.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
And I'm not sure why they needed Deandre Jordan when they've got Jarrett Allen....
Supposedly Jordan and Durant are buddies and they were something of a package deal. It's kind of absurd if true since Jordan sucks and that deal is going to make it tough for the Nets to really be a dominant team with bad contracts like that holding them back. Not terribly different than the rumors about the Lakers signing KCP as some kind of sweetener to land LeBron last year.

Some shady AAU-style shit going on in the NBA these days.

Quote:
I get that the point was to use all their cap space to sign two stars to max contracts. I just wish it wasn't those two, especially at the cost of Russell. But I don't know that there was a better option - there's no way Kahwi was coming to Brooklyn.
I don't think that was the point, but I do think they would have done just about anything to prevent either of these guys going to the Knicks.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Could be trolling, but there are several tweets from "insiders" (and the comedian Michael Rapoport, of all things) that Kawhi Leonard's going to the Lakers.

Joy.

Adam Silver must be thrilled. Lakers vs the East all over again. Almost makes me want to pick up a coke habit.
For just about any other player I'd say "where there's smoke, there's fire" but with Kawhi I don't buy it. This guy doesn't leak stuff like this, he's a clam. I believe it when he says he'll give Toronto the anchor spot and they'll have a real shot to convince him.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They really are something. If it weren't for the constant hilarity that is the Knicks, the Wiz would be the laughing stocks. I hear they are really trying to blow it up by trading Beal for draft picks but I'm not sure there's a team out there left with the cap+assets to make that work. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I mean, we don't call them fans for being rational. FYI, the Bulls' young core is going to the ECF at LEAST, this year.
Sources: Bulls get Satoransky, agree to new deal

They poached him from the tanking Wizards and he's a great fit for the Bulls. Most pundits are lauding that deal. Rumors that the Bulls are looking for a taker for Kris Dunn to clear the way for Satoransky to start, but I'm not sure how valuable other teams think he is. He can play on the ball defense, might be an interesting 7th-8th man for a contender I suppose.

When combined with the Young signing and the rookies White and Gafford, the Bulls will probably not be a dumpster fire this year.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:47 PM

All I know is that the Knicks are shit.

YAAAAAAYYY!!!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
They really are something. If it weren't for the constant hilarity that is the Knicks, the Wiz would be the laughing stocks.
They just picked up Isaiah Thomas. Season saved!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
There are also tweets that he's rejected the Lakers entirely. Leonard is, according to nameless insiders, staying in Toronto, going to the Clippers, going to the Lakers, going to Charlotte, going to the Knicks, going to the Israeli Developmental League, retiring, and playing fullback for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
There are also tweets that he's rejected the Lakers entirely. Leonard is, according to nameless insiders, staying in Toronto, going to the Clippers, going to the Lakers, going to Charlotte, going to the Knicks, going to the Israeli Developmental League, retiring, and playing fullback for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Literally no one knows but Kawhi.

I dunno if heís had meetings or not, but those in the meetings might have some idea. Might. Iím trying to ignore it all because Iím a Spurs fan who works in Toronto and I donít want him on the damn Lakers! Maybe Iíll put money on it, then itíll never happen.

This whole Kawhi thing is like the Psychic industry. Throw enough shit at the wall and one prediction sticks. The one that guesses right looks like an Oracle.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I think they have enough talent for 25-30.

At this point donít you think you may be able to get wall to the Knicks?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
At this point donít you think you may be able to get wall to the Knicks?
You never know what the Knicks will do in desperation, but that would have to be one hell of a sales pitch by the Wizards' GM [missing]. He can't play for at least another season and he's got a $170 million contract extension that hasn't even started yet. More likely they get the Knicks to sell them the farm for Beal, who can play (and can play) but I wouldn't put money on that either.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Agreed. Still, these had the local group of NBA enthusiasts in a tizzy, and so I pass them on to you all. EDIT: Congratulations! to you on the Raptors winning it all. Didn't see that coming. Amazing team effort from them.

I'm glad to see that, so far, they seem to have not been true. The NBA, contra Stern and Silver's past comments, is better IMHO when the talent is spread out, rather than re-enacting the Showtime Lakers, Michael's Bulls, or this last Warriors team.

(It's also better with a shorter season, but I doubt that'll happen. Though it's been talked about again this offseason.)

Weird thing is, I don't think a Leonard-James-Davis Lakers team is necessarily a world-beater in an increasingly guard-dominated NBA. Though Leonard is an amazing player.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-02-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You never know what the Knicks will do in desperation, but that would have to be one hell of a sales pitch by the Wizards' GM [missing]. He can't play for at least another season and he's got a $170 million contract extension that hasn't even started yet. More likely they get the Knicks to sell them the farm for Beal, who can play (and can play) but I wouldn't put money on that either.
What is Wall's problem? I mean, before the Achilles injury. Was he fat, a head case, coke head, unable to get along with anyone? I had thought he was a talented point guard, albeit not the second coming of Magic or early Chris Paul?