Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:14 PM
HeyHomie's Avatar
HeyHomie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,942

I'm American. When I Use The Metric System or Celsius Do I Sound Like A Pretentious Twit?


As an American, I believe the time has come -- indeed, it's been here for two centuries -- for the U.S. to convert to the Metric System and Celsius. I've been trying to force myself to use those systems in my daily life, because The Buddha said to be the change you want to see.

But I'm concerned? Do I sound like a pretentious twit when I say that St. Louis is a 175-kilometer drive? Or when I say it's about 27 degrees outside when it's the 1st of August? Or when I say, "the 1st of August" rather than "August 1st"?
  #2  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:16 PM
puddleglum's Avatar
puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 6,595
Yes
  #3  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
To quote puddleglum. "Yes."

I'm not a "You're in America, speak American!". But if you gave me the answers in OP, I'd say, "Tell me that in American terms please."
  #4  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: SEC
Posts: 14,049
Yes
  #5  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572

I'm American. When I Use The Metric System or Celsius Do I Sound Like A Pretentious Twit?


Hey Homie, don't blame the metric system.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #6  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:29 PM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 7,066
It's very enlightened of the OP to try to get fluent in other systems. Just use your" inside your own head" voice
  #7  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:32 PM
DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Caseyville, IL
Posts: 7,444
Depends on the context. Most scientific contexts it's fine. I make coffee and bread at home and in those contexts, grams are commonly used. "Two liter" is a standard volume for soda pop across the country. In the Army, "clicks", aka kilometers, was a standard unit of marching distance as well as navigation. At work we cast metal and use Celsius to measure the temperature of the molten metal.

But casually mentioning kilometer distances and Celsius temperatures outside of those contexts by an American, to other Americans who you know don't use those units regularly, would sound like an odd affectation to my ears. Pretentious? Maybe. It's a minor sin. I wouldn't think less of you or anything but I'd think it was odd.
  #8  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Crotalus's Avatar
Crotalus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 6,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Hey Homie, don't blame the metric system.
I LOL'd
__________________
Ad hominem is a logical fallacy when it's used to argue against a concept. But it's perfectly appropriate when your point is that someone is an asshole. TonySinclair
  #9  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:41 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,326
DrCube put it excellently. Context matters.

Not-unrelatedly, I have a co-worker who insists on pronouncing schedule as "shedule." I'd be happy to arrange a meeting.
  #10  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
DrCube put it excellently. Context matters.

Not-unrelatedly, I have a co-worker who insists on pronouncing schedule as "shedule." I'd be happy to arrange a meeting.
Don't you mean a 'rendez-vous'?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #11  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:57 PM
thelurkinghorror is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 13,811
You sound bad when you say St. Louis is 110 miles, too. The standard driving distance measure is hours.

And certain metric measurements are fine in casual context, like centimeter. But going out of your way to do it is weird. And you'll take Fahrenheit from my cold, dead hands.
  #12  
Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Don't you mean a 'rendez-vous'?
Sorry, I don't habla espanol.
  #13  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:02 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
St. Louis is a 175-kilometer drive.

*Squints eyes*

Are yew a commie? We don't take to kindly to commies 'round c'here!
  #14  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:05 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Sorry, I don't habla espanol.
Plebeian.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #15  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Mdcastle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,120
Assuming a non-scientific context, yes. Kind of like dropping a French phrase into your conversation every other sentence.
  #16  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,369
People won't automatically think you're a pretentious twit if you use the metric system. They might just assume you're a drug dealer.
  #17  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:08 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Assuming a non-scientific context, yes. Kind of like dropping a French phrase into your conversation every other sentence.
...Avec fromage!
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 08-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.
  #18  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:09 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 81,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdcastle View Post
Assuming a non-scientific context, yes. Kind of like dropping a French phrase into your conversation every other sentence.
Pretentious? Moi?
  #19  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM
KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 26,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Plebeian.
Gesundheit.
  #20  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Yet again, Titletown
Posts: 22,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
You sound bad when you say St. Louis is 110 miles, too. The standard driving distance measure is hours.
Both are normal and accurate, depending on context. I wouldn't bat an eye at either when giving driving instructions.
  #21  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:27 PM
ISiddiqui is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Decatur, Georgia, USA
Posts: 6,687
Yes. Though allowances can be made if someone thinks you are Canadian.

Don't say 27 degrees though - make sure you note it's Celsius or people are going to be really confused.
  #22  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 PM
scr4 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 15,955
Start slow, and use metric where some Americans already use metric. For example, people know what a 2-liter bottle looks like, and I think a lot of people already know a standard wine bottle is 750 ml, so I think referring to beverage bottle sizes in ml or liters is more acceptable & understandable than using kilometers.
  #23  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:32 PM
purplehorseshoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 9,985
Oh, cool, I'm glad to see others use time to communicate driving distance. I'd been told that was a DFW thang. But giving miles/km doesn't really communicate what I *actually* want to know: how long is it gonna take & what time do I gotta leave?

Concur that for most of the U.S. it's mostly drug dealers that know metric (and can convert easily between systems in their heads) or uh, so I heard.
__________________
I can haz sig line?
  #24  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 PM
NAF1138 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of Philly
Posts: 10,005
Side question.

I appreciate metric. Especially in cooking grams and liters are so much easier.

I don't get celcius. Other than being less precise and having 0 and 100 corrospond to freezing and boiling... What's the value?
  #25  
Old 08-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 825
I don't have a horse in this race but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
People won't automatically think you're a pretentious twit if you use the metric system. They might just assume you're a drug dealer.
......Surely this is just a sad reflection on Americans who are not drug dealers?

j
  #26  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Gorsnak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 9,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yes. Though allowances can be made if someone thinks you are Canadian.

Don't say 27 degrees though - make sure you note it's Celsius or people are going to be really confused.
No one's going to believe you're Canadian if you just say it's 27C to an American audience. To be authentically Canadian you'd have to say something like, "It's 27 degrees - I'm sorry, 27 Celcius that is. I'm not sure what that converts to in Fahrenheit." Without the "sorry" part he'll just sound like a pretentious twit.
  #27  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Depends on the context. Most scientific contexts it's fine. I make coffee and bread at home and in those contexts, grams are commonly used. "Two liter" is a standard volume for soda pop across the country. In the Army, "clicks", aka kilometers, was a standard unit of marching distance as well as navigation. At work we cast metal and use Celsius to measure the temperature of the molten metal.

But casually mentioning kilometer distances and Celsius temperatures outside of those contexts by an American, to other Americans who you know don't use those units regularly, would sound like an odd affectation to my ears. Pretentious? Maybe. It's a minor sin. I wouldn't think less of you or anything but I'd think it was odd.
Bah! I go with "yes." We don't want no stinkin' metric here. The commies have been trying to get us to switch for 40 years. Sure, they snuck up on us with the two liter bottle thing, but no more!
  #28  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 42,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
As an American, I believe the time has come -- indeed, it's been here for two centuries -- for the U.S. to convert to the Metric System and Celsius. I've been trying to force myself to use those systems in my daily life, because The Buddha said to be the change you want to see.

But I'm concerned? Do I sound like a pretentious twit when I say that St. Louis is a 175-kilometer drive? Or when I say it's about 27 degrees outside when it's the 1st of August? Or when I say, "the 1st of August" rather than "August 1st"?
I'm shocked by this post. The correct term is "pretentious twat".
  #29  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Gorsnak is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 9,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Side question.

I appreciate metric. Especially in cooking grams and liters are so much easier.

I don't get celcius. Other than being less precise and having 0 and 100 corrospond to freezing and boiling... What's the value?
The value in a scientific context is that Celcius maps onto Kelvin very easily. The value in day to day life is less significant. However, the "less precise" thing is silly since decimal points exist (Celcius thermostats almost always operate in .5 degree steps, for example), and in a climate like mine 0 corresponding to freezing is actually of significant value. But yeah, in outside of scientific applications the superior temperature scale is the one you're accustomed to.
  #30  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:12 PM
UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Oh, cool, I'm glad to see others use time to communicate driving distance. I'd been told that was a DFW thang. But giving miles/km doesn't really communicate what I *actually* want to know: how long is it gonna take & what time do I gotta leave?

Concur that for most of the U.S. it's mostly drug dealers that know metric (and can convert easily between systems in their heads) or uh, so I heard.
I used to work with a guy who was an alcoholic who would actually estimate driving time in beers.
  #31  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM
ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 50,109
On the other hand, if people already think you're a pretentious twit (and don't think they don't ), you might as well go ahead and use sensible units on them.
  #32  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:15 PM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Side question.

I appreciate metric. Especially in cooking grams and liters are so much easier.

I don't get celcius. Other than being less precise and having 0 and 100 corrospond to freezing and boiling... What's the value?
Less precise?

All scales/measurements are always as precise as you need them to be.

Last edited by orcenio; 08-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.
  #33  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,281
I'll do some things in metric.

2 liters of soda, 9mm rounds, grams of cocaine, of course I'm not converting that stuff to imperial just because this is America.

Estimating line-of-sight distances under 300 meters... I'll always do that in meters because that's the only way I ever learnt how to do it (thanks Army!) Doesn't come up that often, though.

Apart from that... I'm all for the US converting to metric, but it will only at gunpoint. An individual grassroots action would be kind of douchey.
  #34  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:36 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
I don't get celcius. Other than being less precise and having 0 and 100 corrospond to freezing and boiling... What's the value?
You think it's more valuable that 0 was pegged to the freezing point of salt water and 96 is human body temperature because the difference is a power of 2 from the freezing point of ice, but then actually it ended up being 98 for some reason, and 100 doesn't really mean anything?

I mean literally that's what Fahrenheit is.
  #35  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
You sound bad when you say St. Louis is 110 miles, too. The standard driving distance measure is hours.
Or, in metric, centiminutes.
  #36  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
You think it's more valuable that 0 was pegged to the freezing point of salt water and 96 is human body temperature because the difference is a power of 2 from the freezing point of ice, but then actually it ended up being 98 for some reason, and 100 doesn't really mean anything?

I mean literally that's what Fahrenheit is.
Why does it matter? Why does the value of a measuring scale depend on what it's "pegged to"?

But if it does, how useful is it that a meter is defined as the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second?

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 08-01-2019 at 04:07 PM.
  #37  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:04 PM
txjim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 385
You would love Puerto Rico, speed limits are in M/H but distances are in KM
  #38  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 PM
HeyHomie's Avatar
HeyHomie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Oh, cool, I'm glad to see others use time to communicate driving distance. I'd been told that was a DFW thang. But giving miles/km doesn't really communicate what I *actually* want to know: how long is it gonna take & what time do I gotta leave?
Definitely not a DFW regionalism. I grew up in Central Illinois, now live in Southeastern Missouri, everyone I've known has always given driving "distance" in time.

In fact, to hear foreign YouTubers tell it, all of us Americans do it.
  #39  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM
NAF1138 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of Philly
Posts: 10,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
You think it's more valuable that 0 was pegged to the freezing point of salt water and 96 is human body temperature because the difference is a power of 2 from the freezing point of ice, but then actually it ended up being 98 for some reason, and 100 doesn't really mean anything?

I mean literally that's what Fahrenheit is.
No, the value is that it's what we are used to. I see the value in going through the struggle to mentally adjust to metric, it's a more useful and in many ways easier to use system. But I don't know why 30 degrees is better than 86. The scientific reason of mapping to Kelvin makes sense, but doesn't really effect my life.

Last edited by NAF1138; 08-01-2019 at 04:21 PM.
  #40  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Declan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie , Ontario
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
As an American, I believe the time has come -- indeed, it's been here for two centuries -- for the U.S. to convert to the Metric System and Celsius. I've been trying to force myself to use those systems in my daily life, because The Buddha said to be the change you want to see.

But I'm concerned? Do I sound like a pretentious twit when I say that St. Louis is a 175-kilometer drive? Or when I say it's about 27 degrees outside when it's the 1st of August? Or when I say, "the 1st of August" rather than "August 1st"?
You will probably get the opposite reaction that I get when i use American up in Canada. Have no use for the metric system and as an American, the only time you should be using Metric is when buying drugs and Ammo. Other wise its like getting a hooker and only wanting to cuddle.
__________________
What would Bugs Bunny say
  #41  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Definitely not a DFW regionalism. I grew up in Central Illinois, now live in Southeastern Missouri, everyone I've known has always given driving "distance" in time.

In fact, to hear foreign YouTubers tell it, all of us Americans do it.
If someone gives directions in miles in Hawaii, they're usually military. Makes sense since 30 minutes to get from A to B is meaningless if you're walking on foot versus driving there. However, mainland visitors tend to ask for distance in miles, to which we answer "Umm...don't know how may miles, but it's a 20 minute drive!". Works well when a "Around the Island trip" around Oahu takes less than 2 hours during non-traffic hours. During traffic hours or if there's an accident, you may as well sleep in your car!
  #42  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:29 PM
kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Pilbara, Australia.
Posts: 10,030
I've been metric for most of my life, but still cannot get my head around cm to measure vertical heights.

When you hear police reports (for example) of a suspect being wanted for questioning over some crime, and they say, "...dark hair, Caucasian, 180cm tall..." I have NO CLUE what that is. I just cannot visualise it.

But tell me the person is 5' 8" or 6' 3" and I'm fine and dandy.
  #43  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:33 PM
thelurkinghorror is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 13,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Both are normal and accurate, depending on context. I wouldn't bat an eye at either when giving driving instructions.
Depends on the distance, in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
9mm rounds
Europeans sometimes try to do the opposite. .380 ACP is sometimes 9x17mm or 9mm Kurz (short).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Or, in metric, centiminutes.
The French considered that, and actually implemented a decimalized calendar, but chopping heads and/or dictatoring got in the way.
  #44  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:36 PM
SingleMalt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Front Range
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Or, in metric, centiminutes.
Decaminutes or hectominutes, maybe? A centiminute would be 1/100 of a minute.
  #45  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Aspidistra is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,458
Decimeters is really the best (metric) scale for human heights (if you're over the age of about 2 anyway). No-one can really tell the difference between a 180 cm and 181 cm person, but 17 vs 18 decimeters is easy to spot

(now I'm trying to remember if I've even heard a decimeter used in the wild since my high school science teacher teaching us what a liter is. Coming up blank...)
__________________
Science created the modern world. Politics is doing its best to destroy it.
  #46  
Old 08-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
I'm American & I use the metric system.

I no longer even think in Fahrenheit at all. I also stopped doing the actual conversion and do a rough conversion if people ask. If no one asks, I don't bother.

I still use miles when I'm talking to most people, but I think in meters and kilometers and do the conversion in my head. And I find I'm less willing to do that as the years pile up on me.
  #47  
Old 08-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
Decaminutes or hectominutes, maybe? A centiminute would be 1/100 of a minute.
Yes, you're right.
  #48  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 PM
monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,634
As a scientist, I use metric all the time at work. Occasionally I'll convert report a distance in miles if the general public is the target audience for the sake of comprehension.

So if you used metric around me, I probably wouldn't notice. But I think it just makes good sense to speak in the way that will help you be understood.
  #49  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Why does it matter? Why does the value of a measuring scale depend on what it's "pegged to"?
We have measuring scales to quantify real things. It's absolutely required that the reference points are distinct (some physical constant). It helps if the constant is universal (a wavelength of light is good). It is better if the constant is accessible (I can't generate a specific wavelength of light, but I can definitely freeze water). It is best if the constant is relevant (I cook when I boil water. I avoid roads when water freezes). And it helps most if the system is mathematically easy to work with (metric is powers of 10, vs powers of 2 times 3 which somehow add up to a mile of 5,280 feet).

The metric system strives to provide all of these. That's why most of the world has adopted it. The imperial people is stupid and is only followed by countries that want to demonstrate they're so powerful they don't need to be smart.
  #50  
Old 08-01-2019, 06:40 PM
lingyi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post

The metric system strives to provide all of these. That's why most of the world has adopted it. The imperial people is stupid and is only followed by countries that want to demonstrate they're so powerful they don't need to be smart.
Blasphemer! Commie! J/K!

Edit: Oh wait...your nick points to you probably not being American. Carry On!

Last edited by lingyi; 08-01-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017