Old 08-30-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I'm wondering what people who never played Classic think of it. I remember finding it almost unplayable without addons. Mostly because I sucked. Still am not very good at finding my way around without quests on the map. Enjoying the things a lot of people found annoying, like a reason for food, taking care of the pet you worked so hard to get and having to think about ammo and managing your bag. Feels more real and immersive.

Gonna see if I can't find me QuestHelper or whatever it was called.
I use the AddOns: Questie (for in-map quest help), Mapster (for better maps), Bagnon (for treating all bags as one giant bag), Bartender (for easier management of action bars and shortcut keys), and Vendor Price (so the tooltip shows the vendor price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Couldn't they start off with extra servers (Atiesh 1 and Atiesh 2, and so on), and then merge them once the starting rush dies down? That would still provide continuity, just with (from any server's point of view) an influx of new players at some point.
Each server is a unique namespace for player and guild names. Combining servers always causes a lot of clashes. Also, each server develops a different culture, especially when there's no cross-server interaction like in the current WoW. Mixing two small isolated communities doesn't always work out well. Plus, there's the whole "dying server" stress that inevitably happens before a server merge.

I don't know the right way to handle the rush vs die-off, but there's good arguments for any approach. I'd hope Blizzard has the smarts to do the best.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:20 PM

I'm on Hydraxian Waterlords. Ardulace (lock) or AlinoŽ (drood). It's a small, homey server with zero queues. Except at launch minute, where it was really funny to see a queue extending all the way to the exit of that trogg dungeon in the dwarf starting zone to kill that one named. I took a couple screenshots I shall title "how hard are you willing to work for 450 XP ?"

Anyone managed to get a "dot duration remaining displayed" addon to work ? Neither Domino nor NeatPlates seem to be able to do it - everything else works fine except that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast
I'd hope Blizzard has the smarts to do the best.
"You think you do, but you don't". Also the slow death of retail since Cata. Blizzard has stopped being able to read their public for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl
I'm wondering what people who never played Classic think of it. I remember finding it almost unplayable without addons. Mostly because I sucked. Still am not very good at finding my way around without quests on the map. Enjoying the things a lot of people found annoying, like a reason for food, taking care of the pet you worked so hard to get and having to think about ammo and managing your bag. Feels more real and immersive.
I gotta admit, I was... intrigued early on to get to play an MMO with zero quest markers or hand holding at all, not even help actually *finding* the quest givers, some of which are hidden in nooks and crannies. It was fun for a couple of days to rely on reading quests and asking the chat where the hell Big Bad Evil Guy is.
Then a mate introduced me to Questie and it's just so much healthier to my quest completion OCD.

Also, that Alliance-side druid Aqua form trek was as bullshit as advertised. I loved it, swam from Menethil harbour to the shores of Westfall with a 6-pack, a dream and a guild chat .
Speaking of : having to have 8 people sign on to form a guild is bullshit. And no guild vault is soooo painful .

But I really enjoy the exploration and the combat. Everything is big and slow, there are lots of hidden sights. Even with Questie, it feels really rewarding to find your own little corner of the realm away from the horde. It's kinda weird how initially the mob tagging mechanism made me annoyed at other players for "stealing" my shit or barging in on MY spawns ; but now that I grok that it's just a way to force lots of impromptu PUGs to form and disband all the time, I kinda like it.

Some dude paid me more as a tip for making 3 bags than I would have asked to sell him some I made from scratch. So that was nice. People seem very happy and friendly in general (although I had to cut the zone chat because, well, it's an MMO zone chat ).

Symptoms of depression : heading to a mining node tucked away, and hearing "clink, clink, clink" as you reach it.

I'm pleasantly surprised my scantily clad elf druidette hasn't yet received a single handout or indecent /tell. Maybe old gamers have evolved ?! Maybe they've finally internalized that every hot chick is a dude ?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:39 PM

Oh dear, there are certainly some Quality of Life improvements that I would not mind seeing reimplemented.

Guild banks and reagent banks being prime among them.

Strangely, I do not miss mounts. I love seeing everyone on foot, roaming around seeking Pugs for quests together. No more "spam LFG Dungeon until max level is achieved".
Old 09-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum View Post
Strangely, I do not miss mounts. I love seeing everyone on foot, roaming around seeking Pugs for quests together. No more "spam LFG Dungeon until max level is achieved".
Hiking up my Old Man Pants here but I remember when it took forever to get my level high enough and earn enough coin to purchase a slow ground mount. It was such a big accomplishment.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 PM

at some point the "ahh the good old days' boy were they terrible" factor will kick in and it will get down to acceptable numbers

one thing is there's been 6 or 7 years of bitching of how bad wow has become that everyone whos joined after WOLTK wants to see what was so great about it and they'll go "umm yeah ok sure ...." and go back to modern warcraft

Last edited by nightshadea; 09-02-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 AM

I am still enjoying Classic!

My server (Mankrik) is still quite full most evenings, the annoying DDOS attacks of last weekend notwithstanding. I have seen the occasional queue, but nothing egregious since opening weekend.

It's been really nostalgic for me to see places in-game again that were destroyed in Cataclysm or "retooled" in other expansions. Auberdine, Westfall, the Deadmines, Scarlet Monastery.

It's becoming more commonplace to see people with mounts, though I've yet to see a 60 or anyone with an elite mount. (Doesn't mean they don't exist, but so far I haven't seen it.) Seems like the majority of player aren't really rushing. My toon is level 36 now, so beginning the mount money scramble.

Enjoying the ride!
Old 09-14-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

My main is only 20, after ~40 hours of playing. I am obviously not rushing, and a fair amount has been spent just exploring, picking up flight points, and fishing. Oh, and 25 of the 40 hours spent running from one place to another, probably.

I keep running into things (like the hunter lodge in the SE corner of Loch Modan) I'd forgotten about a dozen or more years ago.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 PM

It's interesting to see how popular this has been, contrary to Blizzard's initial predictions. The 'brand new' rush has died down and think queues are mostly gone, but the servers, even the newer ones added at the last minute, continue to show 'high' population during prime time. The 15-year-old version of the game seems to have good staying power.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 PM

I'm struggling to care about it. Probably made the wrong choice I made the first time around: levelling a warrior (I ended up a rogue, then a hunter). iI took about 3 expansions before a warrior became not horrible.

Let's start with money. My previous strategy of gathering herbs and ore fails on classic, and while I've just clicked past 1gold after 2 weeks of occasional play, a repair bill of 4s knocked me back under. All the ore and herbs are selling for buttons, because everyone is gathering them.

Then you learned a few skills and are broke again. Or another weapon.

But I've hit the next stalling point. Well, except for the miles and miles and miles runs from the graveyard because I die if I pull a second mob of the same level.

I've hit level 14. All my green gear I blew all my money on when I last had 67 silver to rub together is now pretty much useless. Swords of my level are 2g a pop. Never mind the trousers etc's cost.

I might reroll a warlock and come back, but were those the killing machines I came across when I first levelled one (dot, dot, dot, dot, dot)?

Or just go back to the normal wow and level my last 3 of the 12 characters to 120, which is easier now I have flying...
Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
I'm struggling to care about it. Probably made the wrong choice I made the first time around: levelling a warrior (I ended up a rogue, then a hunter). iI took about 3 expansions before a warrior became not horrible.

Let's start with money. My previous strategy of gathering herbs and ore fails on classic, and while I've just clicked past 1gold after 2 weeks of occasional play, a repair bill of 4s knocked me back under. All the ore and herbs are selling for buttons, because everyone is gathering them.

But I've hit the next stalling point. Well, except for the miles and miles and miles runs from the graveyard because I die if I pull a second mob of the same level.

I've hit level 14. All my green gear I blew all my money on when I last had 67 silver to rub together is now pretty much useless. Swords of my level are 2g a pop. Never mind the trousers etc's cost.

I might reroll a warlock and come back, but were those the killing machines I came across when I first levelled one (dot, dot, dot, dot, dot)?

Or just go back to the normal wow and level my last 3 of the 12 characters to 120, which is easier now I have flying...
I occasionally played with a character while at a friend's house back in '04 - '05 but I don't remember liking it too much. I think I got to level twenty, or whatever level the night elves go to attack the robot city in Dun Moroh. The game was too hard and the story was too complicated, but in hindsight that may have been because I was seven or eight years old.

But I seem to remember that I had no money troubles since I played as a thief. I would just go sneak around and steal coins from other players' wallets, then buy a bunch of alcohol and walk around the city drunk, then get thrown in jail, then I would go play outside. But I think players hang out by the jail on purpose, too. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong.

~Max
Old 09-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
But I seem to remember that I had no money troubles since I played as a thief. I would just go sneak around and steal coins from other players' wallets, then buy a bunch of alcohol and walk around the city drunk, then get thrown in jail, then I would go play outside. But I think players hang out by the jail on purpose, too. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong.
I think you are. You can't pickpocket other players in WoW, and there's no jail.

Maybe you're thinking of Ultima Online?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I think you are. You can't pickpocket other players in WoW, and there's no jail.

Maybe you're thinking of Ultima Online?
The only massive multiplayer game I've played is World of Warcraft. I distinctly remember sneaking around on tip-toes and pickpocketing people (everywhere, not just in the city), buying ales and stouts and walking around the city drunk, and going to the jail where a bunch of gang members would attack you and try to riot.

~Max
Old 09-24-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

And then at the end of the game, the adult girlfriend has regressed to middle school, and smiles at you across the classroom, right?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And then at the end of the game, the adult girlfriend has regressed to middle school, and smiles at you across the classroom, right?
I'm telling the truth, or at least trying to!

I looked up pickpocketing and it is a real game mechanic if you pick the rogue class. The guide I just found says you have to be in stealth mode which if I remember correctly causes you to sneak around like you are trying not to step on mouse-traps. https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/p...ng-classic-wow

I can't seem to find the jail, but I remember that it was like a mini-fort in the middle of the city where a bunch of players were always standing around. And there was some sort of gang that was always rioting and would attack you on sight.

ETA: Found the jail! It's the mini-castle with the clocktower in the image for this article: https://images.app.goo.gl/Yvuk6wrikux2eLMT7

~Max

Last edited by Max S.; 09-24-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Sith Mod

Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier: there is pickpocketing in WoW, you just can't use it against other players - only NPCs. The pic you found is of the Stockade, which is a jail-themed level in the game, but you can't get arrested and "thrown" in there. It's in the middle of a riot, and players can get quests to go inside and assassinate certain criminals, or attempt to "end" the riot. (The riot never actually ends, and you can run through the level over and over if you're inclined, with all the monsters and treasures and stuff resetting on each run.)
Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier: there is pickpocketing in WoW, you just can't use it against other players - only NPCs. The pic you found is of the Stockade, which is a jail-themed level in the game, but you can't get arrested and "thrown" in there. It's in the middle of a riot, and players can get quests to go inside and assassinate certain criminals, or attempt to "end" the riot. (The riot never actually ends, and you can run through the level over and over if you're inclined, with all the monsters and treasures and stuff resetting on each run.)
Good to know I'm not entirely crazy. I guess all the "people" I stole coins from were NPCs, and between that and fighting in the Stockade level I had plenty of money to do all my training and buy lots of booze. Despite only playing the game when at a friend's house - not even on a casual basis.

~Max
Old 09-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max S. View Post
The only massive multiplayer game I've played is World of Warcraft. I distinctly remember sneaking around on tip-toes and pickpocketing people (everywhere, not just in the city), buying ales and stouts and walking around the city drunk, and going to the jail where a bunch of gang members would attack you and try to riot.
Sounds like The Stockades in Stormwind, although that's not quite the storyline...

Certainly, thieves could (and still can) pickpocket NPC's all over the place.

I played a LOT of WoW back in the day because I was on a month-long medical leave recovering from a serious illness and actually did have the time to grind 8-10 hours a day while my spouse took care of me (he's actually the one who bought me the game).

Last edited by Broomstick; 09-24-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post

Warriors are powerhouses - the problem is, they do need a lot of good gear and it takes a while before they have all their talent ducks in a row. Being a lonesome warrior is a pain, you really need a guild backing you up. Just having a pocket healer makes a huge difference.

I've discovered the same is true for Enchanting - it's a very large money hole. Thankfully as a warlock I was spared the mount money and my guildies send me lots of cloth to sew into things, satisfiedly look at, "yup, that's a pretty good mageweave belt right there if I do say so meself !", then rip into tiny little pieces.
Speaking of : yes, warlock is a pretty easy class to play and level, although at level 50 my voidwalker is finally starting to have trouble maintaining aggro against yellow mobs - the 4 dots + lifedrain are just too much ; so I'm starting to look into fear-dancing multiple mobs with an imp or succubus out instead.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 PM

oh, also, and this is true for all classes but none more than Warrior & Rogue : don't fight at-level mobs, don't do at-level quests (at least not on your own). Yellow mobs will parry you, dodge you, you'll do fewer crits, they'll crit you, they'll resist your spells or your big fuckoff attack will miss at the wrong time, resulting in a bunch of downtime and if they bring friends you'll be in the shit.

Level on green mobs. Yes, individually they're worth slightly fewer XP, but you'll crush them with much less downtime (meaning you can kill a lot more of them in the same time you could struggle to kill a yellow or orange), your abilities will all work, they won't hurt you as much, you can take on packs of them without too much risk, and the quest XP is still very good. Also killing more mobs means more loot and more chances a that phat lewtz that sells or equips.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 AM

does curse still exist? that's how we found all our add ons back in the day
Old 09-25-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
oh, also, and this is true for all classes but none more than Warrior & Rogue : don't fight at-level mobs, don't do at-level quests (at least not on your own). Yellow mobs will parry you, dodge you, you'll do fewer crits, they'll crit you, they'll resist your spells or your big fuckoff attack will miss at the wrong time, resulting in a bunch of downtime and if they bring friends you'll be in the shit.

Level on green mobs. Yes, individually they're worth slightly fewer XP, but you'll crush them with much less downtime (meaning you can kill a lot more of them in the same time you could struggle to kill a yellow or orange), your abilities will all work, they won't hurt you as much, you can take on packs of them without too much risk, and the quest XP is still very good. Also killing more mobs means more loot and more chances a that phat lewtz that sells or equips.
I can see how that can work when the game accelerated the XP earning later, but there's big gaps in easy quests, and from my memory there's definitely bits where you just grind for three levels (Darkshore 23-25?).

At the moment, I'm heading for binning it. A warlock seems to be easy mode, and could end up earning and levelling much much easier. Thus feeding into the equipment needed for a warrior to survive.

I guess i l went for warrior purely for the tanking, which I suppose once is needed, means i just stand outside DM/Stockades etc for 5 odd levels. So perhaps just a few more levels of pain...

I've been trying Brian Kopps levelling guide, from back in the day, it is sitting on a server free somewhere and it seems to still hold relatively true, but running across from SW to Darnassus to get the Auberdine quests does assume you're not just to die like a dog on those quests in the end...
Old 09-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

As I recall (it has been 15 years) I had my best success leveling Vanilla as a Shaman and a Rogue. YMMV. Any way you approach it, it's a long slog.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 PM

I haven't yet, at level 43, run across any big lack of quests to do.

If anything, I've ignored at least half of the bread crumb quests to go to Desolace, Shimmering Flats raceway, at least half the Stranglethorn quests, the stuff in Hinterlands.

I've been doing a fair bit of dungeon runs, though I skipped the Razorfens, Blackfathom, and Wailing Caverns. I did a lot of questing
that required runs through Deadmines, Stockades, Scarlet Monastery and now Uldaman.

I managed to pull off buying a mount at 40, though my skill level ups suffered a bit to make it happen, and I put enchanting on hold because enchanting is the black hole where gold goes to die. I'd say I've probably come close to breaking even on tailoring.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:50 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that WoW was originally devved and deliberately conceived as a social game. In the words of one of the devs (who's a streamer now) any solo content was meant to prevent players from logging in, seeing none of their friends around, logging out, then the next friend logs in, sees nobody around, logs out etc... but it's really it. The meat of the game is in meeting people, doing things together and every game mechanic is pushing you towards that. It's why you have to go back to town to train your shit once in a while, it's why some quests rely on handing over 10 bear asses that drop only episodically (but drop much faster if you're in a group and some of the people have finished it), it's why there's elites mobs and quests sprinkled all over, it's why that easy escort quest pathes right through a Murloc camp etc etc. Literally everything is smoother with even just the one mate doing the same thing you're doing (and the XP flows better, not that it's really important)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid
I can see how that can work when the game accelerated the XP earning later, but there's big gaps in easy quests, and from my memory there's definitely bits where you just grind for three levels (Darkshore 23-25?).
I've got a 51 Warlock, a 32 Druid, a 24 Hunter, and a 34 Mage (in chronological order - Warlock is still my main, but since I'm logged more often than my friends I looked into classes to solo/PUG and harvest mats with and nothing clicked quite like Mage).

I have never grinded anything, anywhere until last Monday, when I aimlessly killed spiders for 45 minutes until I had enough shadowsilk to craft a set of gear. 23 is plenty safe to go to Menethil and take a boat west if that floats your, em, boat - you don't even have to do stupid shit like swimming all the way up or down the continent. Not that it's really needed - the east has 3 20-25 zones (Lakeshire, Wetlands, Darkshire ; plus late Westfall/Deadmines/Stockades). You might want to sprinkle in a pass through BFD if you're a caster for the great wand there, but eh. And after that Hillsbrad, Stranglethorn and Arathi will keep you busy for a while although it's at that point that many quests start having a Go Weeeest component.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:57 PM

And yeah, if you're a tanking-specced Warrior then never ever do anything on your own, man ! Just walk to the nearest paladin, or priest, or rogue, or even druid you see fighting mobs on their own and say "hey, wanna team up ? It'll be faster". I guaranfuckingtee they'll say "omg YES !" because they're having a miserable solo time as well. Even mages will appreciate someone to get hit in the face for them, while warlocks and hunters will enjoy having a second pet out .
Old 09-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
does curse still exist? that's how we found all our add ons back in the day
It does, and is chock full of classic-specific add ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabellum
I put enchanting on hold because enchanting is the black hole where gold goes to die. I'd say I've probably come close to breaking even on tailoring.
I found the way to make a small fortune with enchanting. First, start with a large fortune, then...

Last edited by Kobal2; 09-25-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
I found the way to make a small fortune with enchanting. First, start with a large fortune, then...
...donít do any enchanting.

Genius!