Old 08-20-2019, 06:41 PM

NASA to launch XCOM

NASA is launching a new telecommunication satellite based on x-rays instead of radio waves. So naturally, they've called it XCOM. This is their mission badge.

So the next time you hear someone ask what, if anything, the Trump administration have done right, this here'll be item one on the one item list.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Hello, Commander.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Sith Mod

Not really related to the OP, but I wanted to share this.

I started up a new game of XCOM2 last night. First mission is to rescue a scientist.

His name is Dr. Nick Dixon.

I fucking love random name generators.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

So, why an X-ray communications sat? I mean, theoretically, you could get insane bandwidth from X-rays, but you can already get all you need from microwave (or infrared or visible, if you must). And X-rays are really tough to work with, including not making it through the atmosphere, so this could only be good for space-to-space, anyway.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, why an X-ray communications sat? I mean, theoretically, you could get insane bandwidth from X-rays, but you can already get all you need from microwave (or infrared or visible, if you must). And X-rays are really tough to work with, including not making it through the atmosphere, so this could only be good for space-to-space, anyway.
Because then you get to call it XCOM, duh.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
It's experimental:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-nst021919.php

Quote:
X-rays have much shorter wavelengths than both infrared and radio. This means that, in principle, XCOM can send more data for the same amount of transmission power. The X-rays can broadcast in tighter beams, thus using less energy when communicating over vast distances.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:48 AM

So they comunicate with Fido? "Comunico con Fido"), as the XCOM guys in the game watch with Fido ("Vigilo con Fido")

I always thought that Fido was Central Officer Bradford's pet.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Hello, Commander.
If NASA spokespeople go on TV in the coming months and they don't sport a bitchin' sweater, heads will have to fucking roll.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

OK, it's experimental. But it's not something that will soon be practical. It's not even the next thing after something that will soon be practical, or the thing after the next thing. It's so far from being practical that part of me suspects that the whole purpose of the experiment was just because someone wanted to be involved in something called "XCOM".

Or in other words, what Atamasama said.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
OK, it's experimental. But it's not something that will soon be practical. It's not even the next thing after something that will soon be practical, or the thing after the next thing. It's so far from being practical that part of me suspects that the whole purpose of the experiment was just because someone wanted to be involved in something called "XCOM".

Or in other words, what Atamasama said.
I'm not reading any worthwhile criticism there, Commander.