Old 10-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Why are some people so insistent on wearing a hat?

I know some people who are absolutely inseparable from their hats, or having something cover their head. There was this kid who always had a hood on his head and would reflexively yank it back on his head anytime his head was exposed (there was nothing wrong with his head or hair, as far as I can tell.) Another guy always wears a baseball cap - in years, I've only seen him without a cap for a few seconds. There are other such people as well.

Are they afraid of having their head exposed? Don't like the sight of their bare head?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

If it's an adult male, my assumption (unless demonstrated otherwise) is that he's losing his hair (or has lost it already), and doesn't want people to see this.

It's not uncommon at all for guys who are suffering from hair loss to be insecure about this, and to try to cover it up, either with a hat, a toupee (less common these days), or even a clearly-unnatural-looking combover (not naming any names here for political reasons ).
Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM

I like to wear a hat. It keeps the sun of my head in summer and keeps my head warm in winter. I did this long before I began losing my hair. I also have never had a good hair day, so I don't have to worry about looking like Doc Brown when I have a hat on.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM

I'm a hat person. I rarely go out in public without a hat unless I'm wearing a suit maybe 4 times a year. I do it because it keeps the sun out of my eyes and I don't have to worry about combing my hair or it looking presentable. Of course i take if off if I start getting sweaty or its generally bugging me and sometimes I run out of the house and forget to grab one.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I am effectively* bald on top, and I wear a hat when outdoors for the very practical reason that I do not want to be sunburned on top.

* There are hairs there, but when you describe hair in the plural, it is a sign that there isn't very much of it.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 10-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I like to wear a hat. It keeps the sun of my head in summer and keeps my head warm in winter. I did this long before I began losing my hair. I also have never had a good hair day, so I don't have to worry about looking like Doc Brown when I have a hat on.
This. A hat is essential if you live in a desert like I do. It keeps the sun off your bare head, and a baseball cap will shield your eyes from the sun. You can also show devotion for your favorite team (Go D'Backs!).
Old 10-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
If it's an adult male, my assumption (unless demonstrated otherwise) is that he's losing his hair (or has lost it already), and doesn't want people to see this.

It's not uncommon at all for guys who are suffering from hair loss to be insecure about this, and to try to cover it up, either with a hat, a toupee (less common these days), or even a clearly-unnatural-looking combover (not naming any names here for political reasons ).
Funny you should say that I have a relative that always wears hats, I never thought much of it and then he got arrested and in his mugshot I saw that he had lost a ton of hair and suddenly it all made sense.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't say I was compulsive about it, but hats are cool. Not caps, hats. I still have almost all my hair, so it's not that. I just like them.

Plus, mine are lined with tin foil to keep out the mind control rays. Sure, people laugh now - but when the aliens land and I am the only one left to lead the plucky band of survivors and we defeat the hordes and I am the only male left to repopulate the earth with Mary Jane Krovatnik who told me in high school that she wouldn't go out with me if I was the last man on earth, we shall see who laughs then.

Regards,
Shodan - Plucky but Stylish Survivor
Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM

OK thanks, but I am wondering about people who insistently wear hats even when 1) they have no hair loss and 2) it's not particularly hot or sunny. Do they just feel psychologically vulnerable if their head is uncovered?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
OK thanks, but I am wondering about people who insistently wear hats even when 1) they have no hair loss and 2) it's not particularly hot or sunny. Do they just feel psychologically vulnerable if their head is uncovered?
Yeah, and what about all those people who are so insistent on wearing clothes and shoes? What's the deal with them?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:28 PM

My father was killed in a tragic accident when, because he was hatless, the sun got in his eyes and he drove into a canyon. I can still see the fireball, smell the burning flesh and hear his screams of agony. Wearing a hat dulls the pain and makes me feel safe.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:36 PM

I once had a coworker who always wore a baseball hat. After three years, one day he got into a fight and his hat was knocked off. Until then, nobody knew he was bald.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:37 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Also, and I really should have included this in my earlier post:

"Yo, we got some hats now, muh-fuckers."
Old 10-10-2019, 03:42 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

Are they afraid of having their head exposed? Don't like the sight of their bare head?
When I had hair it was in the hopes my hair would fall out; everyone told me it would. It didn't until my doctor put me on a particular combination of meds and then it went big-time! Since then its more from force of habit and hating sun block on my scalp.

And to be honest ----- I had hair so thick and curly ------ I just hated it. Every time I pulled my helmet off it looked like I was going for a fro. And as for the thick; I could put a wrench behind my ear the way some people did pencils. Wish I had an old picture I could post. To get it any kind of straight-ish I had to let it go down past my shoulderblades. Hats were just easier than all the care it would have taken.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I've always hated wearing hats, which was kind of a problem in the military and in the construction game. I do wear a ventilated hat in direct sun, as I take some meds that don't play well with sunlight, and because cancer. I also wear an oilskin hat when it rains, as I hate hoods and umbrellas with a seething passion. I've been told that I look really good in a hat, but wearing one all the time would drive me nuts.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I always wear a hat outdoors. It keeps my head warm in winter, and keeps me from getting sunburned in summer.

Besides, hats are cool.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
This. A hat is essential if you live in a desert like I do. It keeps the sun off your bare head, and a baseball cap will shield your eyes from the sun. You can also show devotion for your favorite team (Go D'Backs!).
I should note that, in my earlier post, I was making the assumption that the "always wearing a hat" sort of person that the OP mentioned is *always* wearing a hat, including indoors, at night, etc.

My hair is seriously thinning on top (and has been since I was in my late 20s), and so, if I'm going to be outside in the sun, I wear a hat, so for those of you who do the same, I heartily approve.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Again, I've got no hair loss and I wear a hat because i don't want to deal with making my hair look good. I don't wear it in bed or anything silly like that but if I'm going to meet someone and I give even. A slight fuck about what they think I'll throw on a hat. This includes if you come to my house for dinner or I'm running to the grocery store. Since I put my hat on when my hair is still wet in the morning I've had people tell me that my hair looks fine, if I end up take off my hat for some reason, apparently, it looks like I slicked it back and blow dried it.

I'm not wearing a hat this morning because I've been laying tile and I don't feel vulnerable but I'm about to run out to a parent teacher conference so I'll throw on a hat on my way out the door.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:26 PM

Hats are an essential part of a gentleman's wardrobe.
You may as well ask why some people always wear a tie.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM

If I am wearing a hat indoors, I'm probably not going to want to take it off. Either I know my hair is a mess (which is why I have it covered) or I am afraid it will look a mess because of the hat itself. I get major hat hair, which is why I always stop by the ladies room with a comb in tow when I come to work wearing a hat (which I do when it is hot and sunny).

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 PM

To the men who always wear a hat does this include indoors at work? I know plenty of people who are both losing, lost and have all of their hair and while some of them always wear hats or caps very very few wear them once they are inside.
Only baseball hats and thinking now very few where I work - large national corporation - are worn inside. And those are usually when they are just coming into the office, but they seem to take them off once they get to their desk.
Hair or not it is kind of interesting when I think back to those guys who are defined by their baseball caps over the years.
My late mother tried everything in her power to get me to wear caps, but my head is large and they never looked right.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post

I'm going bulbed (as my daughter calls it), and I wear a hat not so much to hide that fact, but rather keep from getting melanoma on the top of my big bulbed head.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM

When I wear a hat it makes me look 6 months younger. Do not hate.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 PM

Like so many, I wear one for sun protection in summer and cold protection in winter. But I don't on summer evenings or indoors. My oldest (about to be 25) grandson always wears a hat (except when he is acting--he is trying to break in to theater). It seems to be his signature. I don't know any other reason for it.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 PM

"It's their signature" as Hari Seldon puts it, is the gist. You start out with an innocuous reason for it. With very long hair (down to my waist), my reason for wearing bandannas is that it keeps my hair from whipping around wildly and getting in my face if it is windy or I feel like having the car windows down. It's amazing how easily my hair will whip around in a small breeze and how much a simple bandanna contains it. Wear it enough though, and people expect it. You leave it off and people start commenting on it being gone, like you're some kind of side show. So you put it on so they'll shut up about it. It feels nice on your head and becomes associated with going out. You style it appropriately with your outfits since you wear it so often. People make a bigger deal out of it if it's missing. Fellow bandanna wearers turn it into some kind of club situation. Now you wear it all the time because it's easier to deal with that way and it's part of your look. You're trapped in bandanna land. But hey, at least your hair is out of your face.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM

I could have started this thread. In fact, I have considered doing so.

I hate hats, and I can't for the life of me relate to the mindset of grabbing a hat as I head out the door or get dressed for the day.

OK, sometimes a nice fedora can make a certain dude (not me) look snappy. But any male over the age of 18 who wears a ball cap out in public - unless his business is playing baseball - automatically gets a WTF and a raised eyebrow from me.

And any grown-assed man who wears a ball cap backwards (and is not a catcher) gets both eyebrows.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

My boyfriend always wears a baseball cap. I don’t particularly like that he does - I was shocked that he wears it when we eat, I would have thought his mother told him not to do that. Then again his hats are always gross from being worn so much so I suppose it’s better than having a gross hat on the table.

He isn’t suffering hair loss, in fact he has long hair. (To be honest I think NOW he is starting to lose some hair...) But he has crippling social anxiety and his hat is his security blanket. In the fall and winter he adds a hoodie (hood down) to the mix. I’ve seen him sweat buckets at a party rather than take his hoodie off.

It’s his way of hiding.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Some guys wear hats even when it's inappropriate. A funeral director I know told me about a young woman's funeral, in a church. She had been murdered. Some friends attended, one guy in a backwards facing baseball cap. Not proper for church, but the family was to broken up to say anything. So the funeral director told him, quietly and discreetly, to take it off. Got a dirty glare, but took it off.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:07 AM

I've worn a hat ever since high school days. I do it partly for comfort, and partly because I refuse to be one of those pathetic people who compulsively wear sunglasses.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I've worn a hat ever since high school days. I do it partly for comfort, and partly because I refuse to be one of those pathetic people who compulsively wear sunglasses.
Judge not...etc...right?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:30 AM

"I'm no Puritan, but they didn't dress, if you want to call it that, this way when I was a

kid. Girls running around without a thing on their heads, not even on to ... heads bare-
naked, like an animal.

It was a good thing Dad hadn't lived to see it. He never let our sisters come to the table

without a hat, even if Pat and I were the only unmarried males present."
Old 10-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
"I'm no Puritan, but they didn't dress, if you want to call it that, this way when I was a

kid. Girls running around without a thing on their heads, not even on to ... heads bare-
naked, like an animal.

It was a good thing Dad hadn't lived to see it. He never let our sisters come to the table

without a hat, even if Pat and I were the only unmarried males present."
I recognize that. It's from Heinlein's Time For the Stars, correct?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM

When I am outdoors, and the sun is out, I must wear a hat and long-sleeved shirt due to Actinic Keratosis.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Kinky Friedman: Good cowboys and Jewboys always wear a hat indoors.

I always wear a hat. I walk outside every day, and it keeps the sun off my face. One of my few positive physical attributes is a great "hat face." When I put on a hat, it just looks great.

I recently went to a free market where the rule was "only one hat." But when I picked up a second hat and asked if I could have it, the lady at the table looked away so I could take it.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Some years ago a dermatologist I saw for a benign skin lesion casually commented "A hat is your friend". He apparently saw a lot of skin cancers and precancers affecting the scalp (and we generally don't routinely scan all parts of our scalp for signs of trouble).

If I'm outdoors during mild weather I wear a baseball-style cap for sun protection (current model is an Astros cap), and in winter a knit hat for sun and cold protection.

Sometimes (especially after a noir film festival) I'm attracted to the idea of wearing '40s-style headgear, but you really need a suit (or long overcoat) to pull it off.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
When I am outdoors, and the sun is out, I must wear a hat and long-sleeved shirt due to Actinic Keratosis.
Similar here, but due to vitiligo. Hat and sunglasses when I'm on the water, mowing the lawn, etc.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 AM

I wear a hat every day. Have for probably 30 years. I just feel more comfortable with it on.

I'm slightly superstitious, so I get a pair of Red Sox hats at the beginning of each season. If they win, same hat, lose, switch hats.

I build stuff for a living, and I keep my pencil tucked into my hat.

I've got friends I've known for 20 years who never saw me without a hat until I was a groomsman at a wedding.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post

I'm slightly superstitious, so I get a pair of Red Sox hats at the beginning of each season. If they win, same hat, lose, switch hats.
I couldn't find my good* Red Sox** hat this year, you have seen what happened to them as result.

* Good=old most beat up hat that i wore when they humiliated the Yankees by coming back from 3 games down in the ALCS to win the pennant.

** I'm not that much a Sox fan, but I an huge Yankee*** hater, and nothing is better than seeing the Yankees*** lose to the Red Sox.

*** Always spit to clear one's mouth after mentioning that team.

Last edited by TriPolar; 10-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

A very old thread I started in 2007: Do You Have A Hat Face?

Hats either make a person look really cool or like a total dork.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I wear my wool fedora when I go out on cold/rainy days because it keeps my head and face warm and dry.

I also tend to wear old-school khaki trenchcoats in cold weather, so the hat-and-coat combo makes me look like a film noir private eye.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:06 PM

(Why are people talking about caps when the question was about hats?)
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:10 PM

I wear a hat because I like it, and it looks good. My comfort-zone is what could best be described as business casual. I have t-shirts, but I very rarely wear them, preferring button-downs, jeans on the weekends. The hats I have (fedora or flat cap, depending on the weather and my mood) complement my style perfectly.

OTOH, my hair is thinning in the front, and I've got a 50-cent piece sized "crop circle" on the crown, but that doesn't play into my decision.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Why are some people so insistent on wearing a hat?

Why do some people obsess over other peoples' clothing choices?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
A cap is not a hat?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
There you go assumpting things; when I said hat I meant hat.

https://www.nouilles.info/illustrati...aits/68402.jpg

Actually that one of its two black cousins are my main ones. I will go with a ball-cap now and then but ----- that face was made for something that sticks a fer piece past my ears.

(Plus another advantage is that when I do wear it indoors people assume I'm some sort of religious nut and avoid me. I like being avoided in public.)
Old 10-11-2019, 01:45 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
A cap is not a hat?
Anything without a full brim all around is a cap; to most people. We had a long drawn-out discussion of that at a Ducks Unlimited meeting once. Don't ask -- it didn't even make sense at the time.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:06 PM

"A cap is a hat,"
He said as he sat.
"Whether crowning a rat
Or me, a big cat."

"Why care what they wear?
Perhaps they're sans hair.
Or shielding themselves
From the sun or cold air."

"Some hats just look nice,
But be sure to think twice
About wearing another's.
It could give you lice."

The cat then revealed
His own fancy hat.
Red stripes on white field,
And my head he did pat.

"Whether bowler, fedora,
Tricorn, or pork pie.
A trilby or cloche,
I'm not gonna lie."

"A hat can be useful,
Or worn just for fun.
Of cotton or sheep's wool
Just wear one, my son."
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Anything without a full brim all around is a cap; to most people. We had a long drawn-out discussion of that at a Ducks Unlimited meeting once. Don't ask -- it didn't even make sense at the time.
Ok, but if it's a cap is it not still a hat?
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Sometimes it's a good thing too. One co-worker I've known for years always wears a ball cap hat: the few times he takes it off reveals a head that seems lumpy/mis-shapen, exacerbated by his close cropped hair. When he takes it off, my first reaction is an unspoken "dude, put the freakin' hat back on".
Old 10-11-2019, 03:26 PM

A hat is like shoes. There are some situations where it's okay to go outside bareheaded, but not very many. And why would you want to?