Old 01-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Yeah, I gotta admit, Vizquel is a head scratcher. Should he make it in we might have a new winner of 'least deserving'.
Oh gosh, there are WAY worse than him.

Quote:
In terms of Jeter? 538 had a pretty good argument today that Jeter's candidacy was iffier than people make it out to be. He was a great player, but there are serious holes in the argument for his enshrinement among the Ruths, Spahns and Mays.
I am not sure I'm reading the article as saying that. They are making a case that he's no greater than Larry Walker, which I disagree with because it's frigging insane to discount the playoffs, but point taken.

In fairness, the article is not fantastically written; like a lot of such articles these days it's a repetition of analytical numbers without an especially clear thesis or valuable insight, and repeats things.) I don't see anything there suggesting his case to be in the Hall of Fame is at all suspect, though. I don't have anything against this Travis Sawchik guy, but he ain't Bill James. Anyone can look shit up on Baseball Reference.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-22-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Vizquel is easy; he doesn't belong. But what about Rolen? It's the modern defensive stats that push him up the ladder...10th all-time in WAR among third basemen. I guess he gets in, but when he was playing I never thought of him as a Hall of Famer.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Vizquel is easy; he doesn't belong. But what about Rolen? It's the modern defensive stats that push him up the ladder...10th all-time in WAR among third basemen. I guess he gets in, but when he was playing I never thought of him as a Hall of Famer.
He's not a Hall of Famer. Rolen is a poor choice. He wasn't when he played, lets not use WAR to put the undeserving into the Hall.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Rolen didn't get a huge amount of MVP support, either. More than Omar.

Rolen won eight Gold Gloves (with three different teams, and very non consecutively, which are impressive add-ons) so he was certainly regarded as a great fielder when he was playing. He was on a lot of All Star teams, helped a team win a World Series,... what the hell let's do a Keltner List! (This is my personal modified version.)

1. Was Scott Rolen ever the best player in baseball, or a serious candidate for it?

Not even close.

2. Was he the best player on his team?

During his tenure with the Phillies, Bobby Abreu was. With the Cardinals, Albert Pujols was. So no. Albert Pujols is a tough comparison, but there it is.

3. Was he the best player at his position?

For most of his career there was a better third baseman, be it A-Rod or Beltre or David Wright. He kinda got up there briefly around 2003-2005 or so, so I'll get him a half yes.

4. Did he have an impact on pennant races?

Rolen helped a number of Cardinal teams made the playoffs; they would certainly not have made it at all in 2006 without him, and that was a World Series winning year. He was important to the Reds making the playoffs in 2010, too. He gets a yes from me on this one.

5. Was he good enough to play past his prime?

Yes.

6. Are most players with comparable stats in the Hall?

No. Of the ten most comparable players, only one, Ron Santo, is in the Hall.

It is worth noting most of those players were not the defensive experts Rolen was and a surprising number aren't even third basemen.

The hard comparison here is Ken Boyer. Also a Cardinal, Boyer was a very good hitter and excellent fielder and a member of a World Champion. If you consider context, he was just as good a hitter as Scott Rolen. You're going to struggle to explain to me why Rolen is a Hall of Famer but Boyer isn't.

7. Is this player the best player ever who's eligible for the Hall of Fame but not in? Best at his position?

Hell no for best player. Maybe at position until Beltre is eligible.

8. How did this player do in the postseason?

Overall Rolen did not play well in the postseason. He was great in the 2006 World Series though. It's a wash.

9. Is there some reason to think this player is better or worse than the statistics would suggest?

I'm honestly a little doubtful about WAR sometimes but I can't prove anything here. There's nothing special requiring adjustment.

10 How did this player do in MVP voting?

Rolen finished top ten one, in 2004, and was in the voting three other times. That is below average for a Hall of Famer.

11. All Star games?

Rolen made eight All Star games, which is average for a Hall of Famer.

12. If Scott Rolen were the best player on his team could that team win a pennant?

Probably. Rolen's best season was 2004 and he was great, a 9.2 WAR. Many, many teams have won championships with no player being that good. He real peak baseline wasn't 9.2 though; he only got about 6 one other year and just barely. HE was really like a 5-5.5 guy, and not many champions have not had a better player than that. Some have. A reluctant yes here.

13. Did Rolen uphold standards of sportsmanship? Did he have some special impact on baseball history, good or bad?

As far as I know he was an ordinary guy.

That's not a lot of yesses.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
He's not a Hall of Famer. Rolen is a poor choice. He wasn't when he played, lets not use WAR to put the undeserving into the Hall.
I agree, but the Rolen train is rolling. In his three years on the ballot he's gone from 10% to 17% to 35%. He might stagnate in the thirties, but with no locks on next years ballot, he may well take another giant step.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:15 PM

I'm glad for Walker. I really didn't think he would make it. Has there been any mention what team he's going in as yet? It would be cool to see a Rockies cap in the hall, although that's not a certainty?

Last edited by wolfman; 01-22-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:26 AM

It would be interesting to apply the Keltner/Rickjay test to Adrian Beltre. It's possible to ignore WAR on borderline candidates, but with 95.6 bWAR, Beltre is going to the Hall. A defensive wizard but only 5 gold gloves. 3,166 hits including 477 homers, but only two top five finishes in the MVP voting. Only four all-star game appearances. A bit of a dud in the postseason. It feels like he snuck up on everybody.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Sounds fun!

1. Was Adrian Beltre ever the best player in baseball, or a serious candidate for it?

No. This is a question few HOFers ever get a yes on - I mean, there aren't 25 players in history you can firmly say yes to this question. It applies to Willie Mays, Ruth, Cobb, Schmidt, Bonds, DiMaggio, Wagner, Trout, a few others. Probably Oscar Charleston, and maybe Josh Gibson. It's awfully useful because if the answer is yes, you're 90% done.

2. Was he the best player on his team?

At times. He was probably the best player the Rangers had for awhile, and for a few shining seasons he was the best player the Dodgers or Red Sox had.

3. Was he the best player at his position?

In the early 2010s he was. His main competition in the AL was Evan Longoria and the NL had no one standout. He was better than Longoria, but in fairness Longoria was much better on "Desperate Housewives."

4. Did he have an impact on pennant races?

The 2004 Dodgers absolutely do not win the division or make the playoffs without Beltre. He also helped the Rangers win some division titles. I give him a yes.

5. Was he good enough to play past his prime?

Yes, obviously. Hew was still a good ballplayer at age 39.

6. Are most players with comparable stats in the Hall?

Yes. Of the ten most comparable players to Beltre, eight are in the Hall; only Rafael Palmiero and Carlos Beltran are not.

As with Rolen, honestly the comparables aren't very comparable. The only one of the ten who played third base was George Brett, and their similarity score is 785, which honestly is not very similar; they had different skill sets. The most similar is Dave Winfield at 866, and Winfield was an outfielder.

7. Is this player the best player ever who's eligible for the Hall of Fame but not in? Best at his position?

Obviously he's not Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens. This is an unfair question when they are out; if you discount them then maybe. He is certainly the best third baseman, until A-Rod is eligible.

8. How did this player do in the postseason?

Beltre played okay in the postseason. No real credit here, no real debit.

9. Is there some reason to think this player is better or worse than the statistics would suggest?

Beltre was one of the best defensive third baseman who ever lived. I mean, he was just a marvel to watch; he did EVERYTHING well. He could make errors (which most third basemen do) but he was quick to both sides, charged bunts and dribblers like no one's business, covered miles of foul territory, and always had his head in the game. He was just sensational. I never saw Brooks Robinson and I'll concede the metrics that say he was greater, but man, Beltre was something.

10 How did this player do in MVP voting?

Beltre was the runner-up to Barry Bonds in 2004, and I am serious when I say that despite Bonds's .609 OBP, I would have voted for Beltre. He had five other top ten finishes. Generally pretty good.

11. All Star games?

Beltre only made four All Star teams. It's actually kind of weird. He did NOT make the All Star team in 2004, when he batted .334 with 48 home runs and was an amazing defensive infielder.

12. If Adrian Beltre were the best player on his team could that team win a pennant?

It happened, so yes.

13. Did Beltre uphold standards of sportsmanship? Did he have some special impact on baseball history, good or bad?

Like Rolen, he seemed like a good guy but has no special impact.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I'm glad for Walker. I really didn't think he would make it. Has there been any mention what team he's going in as yet? It would be cool to see a Rockies cap in the hall, although that's not a certainty?
I believe he said yesterday that he would be wearing a Rockies cap, yes.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:56 AM

I bet since the Red Sox are a high profile team they are taking more time to make sure they have plenty of evidence before they say the Sox cheated.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Sounds fun!

Like Rolen, he seemed like a good guy but has no special impact.
Thanks, that was a good assessment. Beltre will also be remembered for being an on-field prankster.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I believe he said yesterday that he would be wearing a Rockies cap, yes.
I mean, ultimately it's not actually up to the player; the HOF likes to respect their wishes but they'd refuse a silly one.

In Walker's case anything other than the Rockies would be ridiculous. He played sixty percent of his career there and it's where almost all his major accomplishments took place.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:59 PM

Dodger fans are heading to Anaheim for the Angels home opener against the Astros.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodge...rendon-pantone
Old 01-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Do the Angels sell out their home opener well in advance? Dodgers fans could want to be there, but I bet theyíre not willing to shell out $$$ to do so. Plus, the second game of the season is usually an easy ticket.

Last edited by dalej42; 01-25-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:22 PM

Can't blame Dodgers fans for doing that .
Old 01-26-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Do the Angels sell out their home opener well in advance? Dodgers fans could want to be there, but I bet theyíre not willing to shell out $$$ to do so. Plus, the second game of the season is usually an easy ticket.
According to the article, the Angels actually offered the group a block of seats in the upper level in advance. Smart of the team to do this because the Dodger fans can yell and scream but they wont be close enough to the action to do anything crazy.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Astros hire Dusty Baker as manager . He's 70 and last managed in 2017. He probably stays no more than 3 years.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Baker was hired, I suspect, simply because an old guy with no previous connection to the team seems like a guy who definitely doesn't have the stink of the current scandal on him.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:32 PM

Mr. National Ryan Zimmerman resigns for 1 1 year 2 million contract. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ton-nationals/
Old 01-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Astros hire Dusty Baker as manager . He's 70 and last managed in 2017. He probably stays no more than 3 years.
I expect only one year. The Astros have enough talent that I could manage them and not mess up. I assume they just want to move on from sign stealing and figure there will be more stories from other teams.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

It looks like the stupid service time case is over and Kris Bryant lost. It may not be fair but both Boras and Bryant knew the rules going in. I hardly expect to see Bryant panhandling outside Addison station this season.
https://sports.yahoo.com/kris-bryant...170314062.html
Old 01-29-2020, 06:37 PM

MLB free agency should have an age limit. Six years in the bigs or, say, age 29, whichever comes first.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Maybe some shakeups for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/espn-m...-possible/amp/

Does anyone really like Sunday night baseball? I think it’s the scarcity effect. With Sunday night football, you’re still just dealing with 16 games and in a good chunk of the country the weather sucks.

Even if you’re the most diehard Yankees or Red Sox fan, the 4 hour game on Sunday night is still just one out of 162.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
MLB free agency should have an age limit. Six years in the bigs or, say, age 29, whichever comes first.
I think some other sports do that. It's a good idea - maybe also a "if it happens first" in a certain number of years after being drafted or signed as an international amateur.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe some shakeups for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/espn-m...-possible/amp/

Does anyone really like Sunday night baseball? I think it’s the scarcity effect. With Sunday night football, you’re still just dealing with 16 games and in a good chunk of the country the weather sucks.

Even if you’re the most diehard Yankees or Red Sox fan, the 4 hour game on Sunday night is still just one out of 162.
I usually watch, listen to, or ate least read about all 162 games during a season. But I can't stand when ESPN is broadcasting a Nats game. The main shot will literally be of the talking heads in the booth and the ball game is in a little box in the corner. It's like they're holding a baseball themed cocktail party.

Last edited by madmonk28; 01-30-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I usually watch, listen to, or ate least read about all 162 games during a season. But I can't stand when ESPN is broadcasting a Nats game. The main shot will literally be of the talking heads in the booth and the ball game is in a little box in the corner. It's like they're holding a baseball themed cocktail party.
And itís amazing that the Nats get no Sunday night baseball coverage this season (at least so far) even after winning the World Series and not even as a visiting team. Itís just amazing that ESPN always has to hit the crack pipe of Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Cubs/Cards
Old 01-30-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
And it’s amazing that the Nats get no Sunday night baseball coverage this season (at least so far) even after winning the World Series and not even as a visiting team. It’s just amazing that ESPN always has to hit the crack pipe of Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Cubs/Cards
Did you forget the Dodgers? Certain teams have built in larger audiences, they are national teams. It actually makes perfect sense for ESPN to prefer these big audience teams. Though considering how bad their coverage is compared to my local coverage, I wish they would pass on the Yanks.

I never thought of the Mets as a national team, are you sure they show up a lot? The Giants use to be, is that no longer true?

Weird, first game is Nats @ Mets. I thought you said no coverage? http://www.espn.com/mlb/television Mets were picked a lot this year as was Houston.

Last edited by What Exit?; 01-30-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Did you forget the Dodgers? Certain teams have built in larger audiences, they are national teams. It actually makes perfect sense for ESPN to prefer these big audience teams. Though considering how bad their coverage is compared to my local coverage, I wish they would pass on the Yanks.

I never thought of the Mets as a national team, are you sure they show up a lot? The Giants use to be, is that no longer true?

Weird, first game is Nats @ Mets. I thought you said no coverage? http://www.espn.com/mlb/television Mets were picked a lot this year as was Houston.
I sure did forget the Dodgers. I was referring only to the Sunday night games which are the so-called marquee games.

Hereís the Sunday night schedule. I have no idea if the rules allow for games to be flexed like they can for football. For the Cubs, thereís local laws about the number of night games and concerts at Wrigley. I wonder if the Nats try to avoid Sunday night games because of the early Metro closing.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...lb-superstars/
Old 02-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Holy crap, Betts and Price to the Dodgers.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-price-dodgers

Suddenly I can't wait for Spring Training.

Last edited by NAF1138; 02-04-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:59 PM

What does anyone think about what the Reds have done to improve? With their rotation, the recent signings etc and the seeming decline of the rest of the division, they need to be in the conversation to win it at a minimum I would think.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
Holy crap, Betts and Price to the Dodgers.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-price-dodgers

Suddenly I can't wait for Spring Training.
What is it with LAD rescuing Boston from their bad contracts. Last time it was Crawford, this time Price. Is 1 year of Betts worth 3 more years of Price for $96m? Dammit Dodgers, stop helping the Red Sox.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
What is it with LAD rescuing Boston from their bad contracts. Last time it was Crawford, this time Price. Is 1 year of Betts worth 3 more years of Price for $96m? Dammit Dodgers, stop helping the Red Sox.
HELP?? Sox are paying half of Price's salary. And i just cancelled my MLB.com account.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Price should be much more effective in the NL. The hitters wont be too familiar with him. LA is a very good place to be a baseball fan. Trout, Betts, Rendon, Ohtani, Stripling, Turner.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
HELP?? Sox are paying half of Price's salary. And I just cancelled my MLB.com account.
I didn't see Boston was picking up half the tab. Makes me feel better as a Sox hater.

madsircool, You're correct, Price should be more effective in the NL and especially at home compared to Fenway. But even with that his arm is unlikely to hold together for even half of the 3 years. The Dodgers will be lucky to get 250 innings out of him.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Price should be much more effective in the NL. The hitters wont be too familiar with him. LA is a very good place to be a baseball fan. Trout, Betts, Rendon, Ohtani, Stripling, Turner.
Agreed. I expect Price to bounce back. His underlying numbers look promising and the change of leagues will be good. I also expect LA will be able to retain Betts after the year. But Bellinger, Betts, Muncy, Turner, Seager is a really insane heart of the lineup.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
What does anyone think about what the Reds have done to improve? With their rotation, the recent signings etc and the seeming decline of the rest of the division, they need to be in the conversation to win it at a minimum I would think.
The Reds offseason was weird to me. It is kind of the Mets approach of the last few years. Get good hitters and ignore whether they can play defense or fit with the team. It didn't exactly work out well for the Mets.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
How did you leave the MVP off of that list?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Betts trade. Overall he is a big addition to the team but I hate trading for guys in their walk year without at least feeling like we stole the trade. I'm very ok trading Maeda for price and I think that's a net win for the Dodgers. I'm bummed about losing Joc, I get the outfield is really crowded, he isn't flexable at his position and is only occasionally great at bat but I still liked having him around.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Trust me, lacking attention from ESPN Sunday Night Baseball is a huge blessing

As a Mets fan I hate it when 1pm Sunday home games suddenly get pulled to 8:07pm starts... Plus the ESPN announcers are so bad.

The Mets are frequently terrible on the field, but at least the broadcast team is top notch, trading that in for the ESPN crew plus the late start time is a double whammy.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:01 PM

Pete Rose is using the recent Astros controversy to petition MLB for reinstatement.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-reinstatement
Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I sure did forget the Dodgers. I was referring only to the Sunday night games which are the so-called marquee games.

Hereís the Sunday night schedule. I have no idea if the rules allow for games to be flexed like they can for football. For the Cubs, thereís local laws about the number of night games and concerts at Wrigley. I wonder if the Nats try to avoid Sunday night games because of the early Metro closing.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...lb-superstars/
You mean there are actually teams outside of Boston and the Bronx? They had me fooled
Old 02-05-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
You mean there are actually teams outside of Boston and the Bronx? They had me fooled
Yes, Chicago & LA also have teams.

That is all.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:40 PM

So Paxton will miss 2-3 months of the regular season it looks like. So Montgomery probably will be the 5 starter to start the season.

Cole
Tanaka
Paxton (IR)
Severino
Happ
German
Montgomery

Loaisiga/Cessa/M. King
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, Chicago & LA also have teams.

That is all.
I guess St Louis gets to be the honorary Green Bay when it comes to baseball as they usually punch above their weight in coverage.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Trust me, lacking attention from ESPN Sunday Night Baseball is a huge blessing

As a Mets fan I hate it when 1pm Sunday home games suddenly get pulled to 8:07pm starts... Plus the ESPN announcers are so bad.

The Mets are frequently terrible on the field, but at least the broadcast team is top notch, trading that in for the ESPN crew plus the late start time is a double whammy.
Iím part of a lot of baseball discussion groups and the only fans Iíve ever met that like the Sunday night starts are Texas Rangers fans which have brutally hot Sunday afternoon games. I doubt the Rangers have made a Sunday night appearance since the A-Rod era. Sometimes Dodgers/Angels fans donít mind as it is a 5 pm start for them so theyíre not getting home too late.

Outside of a playoff game, I canít imagine going to a ballgame with an 8 pm start.

Last edited by dalej42; 02-05-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Rangers aren't going to care this year; they're moving into a new stadium with a roof.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
How did you leave the MVP off of that list?

I'm not sure how I feel about the Betts trade. Overall he is a big addition to the team but I hate trading for guys in their walk year without at least feeling like we stole the trade. I'm very ok trading Maeda for price and I think that's a net win for the Dodgers. I'm bummed about losing Joc, I get the outfield is really crowded, he isn't flexable at his position and is only occasionally great at bat but I still liked having him around.
Now is the time for the Dodgers to try to win it all. No team could ever have a better shot.

They got one of the greatest baseball players in the world to play for them in a year they could win it all. Fabulous trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasisEvil
The Central is ripe for the picking. Their timing is good too. I'm not a huge Moustakas fan, but he and Castellanos add more options to what wasn't a good offense last year. It'd be awfully helpful if the old Joey Votto came back.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
So Paxton will miss 2-3 months of the regular season it looks like. So Montgomery probably will be the 5 starter to start the season.

Cole
Tanaka
Paxton (IR)
Severino
Happ
German
Montgomery

Loaisiga/Cessa/M. King
I'm predicting a breakout season for Johnny Lasagna, but it might be out of the pen. I really like his stuff, and his poise reminds me of Mariano.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Now is the time for the Dodgers to try to win it all. No team could ever have a better shot.

They got one of the greatest baseball players in the world to play for them in a year they could win it all. Fabulous trade.

The Central is ripe for the picking. Their timing is good too. I'm not a huge Moustakas fan, but he and Castellanos add more options to what wasn't a good offense last year. It'd be awfully helpful if the old Joey Votto came back.
The Central will be interesting especially if the Cubs trade Bryant. I have no idea how of that is smoke and mirrors and how much is serious. I do know that the Cubs have their brand new cable network this year and naturally thereís a high stakes pissing match and I assume most of Chicagoland will be shut out similar to the situations with the Astros and the Dodgers.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The idea of the Cubs trading Bryant is just insane to me, but what do I know. I cannot really understand why the Red Sox traded Mookie; yeah yeah, luxury tax. I'd find other ways to save money rather than just basically giving up.

I'm not saying you shouldn't sometimes trade away guys for prospects, but we aren't talking about some 31-year-old yet being traded away from a shit team; we're talking about contenders trading away elite stars in their 20s.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I'm thinking the Sox don't see 2020 as their year, they just lost their manager, were barely over .500 last year, and the Yanks/Rays are not going away.

Betts is a free agent at the end of the year, yes? So, the Sox lose him for one year, and have the same chance to resign him next year as they would have had if they kept him. They also unload a stinker of a contract. I like the move the way I liked the Yanks trading Miller and Chapman midseason a couple years back.