Old 01-06-2020, 03:25 AM

anyone see "worst cooks in america" season premiere tonight ?

After watching it again for the first time in a year or two I totally enjoyed it because of Alton Brown and the sense of humor he's brought to it but there are a few racks in the mirror tho

One is there are too many "clowns" you know the ones that have no chance of winning but are there for their personality or entertainment value until about the last 1/4 the of the show when they have to get "serious"

and there are too many contestants you dont get to know any until they're halfway through the show...

but at least Anne Burrell is realizing its not a deathmatch like she did in the first seasons and it's funny watching her jaded seen it all personality to Alton's snooty oh my god he actually just did that! personality

I just hope it doesn't turn into a faux season of cutthroat kitchen
Old 01-07-2020, 01:47 PM

I watched! I only watched one other season and didn't start it until it was about half over. Alton Brown is great! He really adds some humor to the show. I wondered as I was watching - can some of these people be for real!!??? Like the woman that was using the tenderizing hammer to hammer the knife through the onions?!?!

My favorite line was...........it's a hamcock!
Old 01-08-2020, 12:48 PM

It's a trip to see what this show has turned into over the years. I still watch it mostly out of habit but it's definitely a parade of clowns vs. the (at least by comparison) much more sedate and instructional feel of the first few seasons.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:00 PM

I watched it... I can't help but think the whole thing is very scripted, or at least very dramatically edited.

I can't imagine these people being THAT bad at cooking, unless they were trying to cook with no prior instruction, nor any research. Like their parents/aunts/uncles/grandparents didn't impress any cooking, and they never watched a cooking show or cracked a cook book. And then once they did attempt to blindly cook something, they somehow managed not to learn a damn thing from the experience- certainly not enough to adjust their cooking methods, or do any of the other things I mentioned.

It strikes me as extreme stupidity or profound lack of curiosity or something on the contestants' parts. I mean, if I was confronted with something like that- being unable to cook, I'd likely take that as a challenge, and set about learning how to do it.

I kind of wished Alton Brown would tone down the disgust and snootiness; it didn't make him look particularly good.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:30 PM

It does beggar belief. If you're that disinterested/incompetent in cooking, how is being a contestant on any cooking show even on your radar?
Old 01-08-2020, 04:34 PM

they have some sort of messy challenge they keep showing previews for coming up which is why i sort of was worried about it being a cutthroat kitchen knock off
Old 01-08-2020, 08:08 PM

It's all a big fake. These are a bunch of wanna-be's trying to launch a showbiz career by showing what "characters" they are. Completely phony. I watched the first and part of the second season and stopped watching.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:57 AM

ALL reality/shows are fake to some extent. Multiple takes, prompted (though not necessarily scripted) lines and 'evil' editing. Keep that in mind while watching and when you see or hear something you can't believe, it will make a lot more sense.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-09-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:28 AM

What is so frustrating is that this could be a good, interesting, entertaining show.

From the ridiculous ineptness of some of the contestants, to the look-at-what-a-clown-I-am antics of others, to the "funny" (awkward) confessional remarks of others...I just can't stomach it.

I wish they would try a season with normal people who aren't breaking their necks to get noticed.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
What is so frustrating is that this could be a good, interesting, entertaining show.

From the ridiculous ineptness of some of the contestants, to the look-at-what-a-clown-I-am antics of others, to the "funny" (awkward) confessional remarks of others...I just can't stomach it.

I wish they would try a season with normal people who aren't breaking their necks to get noticed.
I'd like to see something more where the contestants truly don't know how to cook, or cook well.

Each week they'll be taught some basic technique, and each week they'll have a challenge that will involve mastering that technique, and one where they have to integrate it with what they know.

In other words, take the focus off of how atrocious these people are at cooking, and put it on the competitive aspects- who's better at learning, understanding and actually cooking.

Maybe later phases of each season do that, I don't know. But the first episode seemed to be mostly centered around their personality weirdness and amazing inability to cook anything. I wasn't really much of a fan to be honest.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I've often wondered if any people who are actually competent in the kitchen have faked culinary stupidity to get on the show.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
I've often wondered if any people who are actually competent in the kitchen have faked culinary stupidity to get on the show.
It sure seems that way; they're almost TOO bad sometimes, it seems. Like they know enough about being good at cooking to know how to be really bad at it.

Last edited by bump; 01-13-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:03 AM

well, last week's show was an improvement and some people are starting to get it but wow at the end Alton gets a bit savage when he goes through which order he believes he's going to have to eliminate people ....... the Cindy Lauper lookalike got lucky last week tho and I love the tasting part "it's passable you won't get poisoned but I dont want to eat it "

and as far as not being able to cook well I knew a chick who never knew you actually cooked top ramen she sprinkled the flavoring on the dry noodle square and ate it like a rice cake ..... and that's how her kids are them until I cooked it for them while babysitting ......
Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
and as far as not being able to cook well I knew a chick who never knew you actually cooked top ramen she sprinkled the flavoring on the dry noodle square and ate it like a rice cake ..... and that's how her kids are them until I cooked it for them while babysitting ......
But it says how to cook it on the package! Based on other ramen brands, it's generally boil the noodles for 3 minutes and add the seasoning packet.

That's some kind of incuriousness/laziness going on there, not mere inability to cook.

Last edited by bump; 01-21-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:22 PM

I knew a woman who chopped up an onion, mixed it with ketchup, poured that on boiled spaghetti and feed it to her children. "That's a meal!" she would proclaim. Made everyone under the age of 20 call her 'Miss Helen'. I think she was crazy.

Also-- I have missed all of this season so far. I love this show and will try to catch episodes where ever I can find them.

Last edited by Biggirl; 01-21-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:39 PM

It's always seemed to me they're doing it backwards: they should kick out whoever cooked the best.

Of course this encourages dishonesty, but let's face it, dishonesty is a fundamental part of the show.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:08 PM

I'm liking this season better than previous ones. I remember the seasons starting off with something simple like "fry an egg" and half would fail miserably. Then it morphed into the first challenge would be "make a cheese souffle with a tarragon burre blanc". And of course the ringers nailed it.