Old 01-06-2020, 05:31 PM

Writing checks in the 21st century

In the 20th century, your bank issued checks drawn on your checking account, which you would write out to pay your bills and send to creditors through the Post Office. I know, they still do that today, but, back then, the checks had a pre-printed "19__" in the date field, so that you only had to add two digits to specify the year. Since 1/1/2000, I have yet to see blank checks with a pre-printed "20__" in the date field. Has anyone else? I'm not complaining about the extra work of writing "20" on every check, but I wonder why, after 20 years, they haven't started pre-printing the century for our convenience.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:35 PM

I think the practice died out before 2000. It was not much of a convenience. My checks from the 1980s and 1990s didn't have a pre-printed "19." I've seen it from the early 1900s, and perhaps some banks kept doing it longer than others.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:38 PM

I've never had personal checks with a pre-printed "19", and I have had numerous checking accounts since 1977.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Yes, I’ve only ever had checks with a blank line that said “date” and that does predate 2000.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I think the practice died out before 2000. It was not much of a convenience.
I typically ended up writing 199x right over it anyways in my haste to fill out the check.

Then there's the other big convenience, the end of the line where you spell out the amount nearly always has "dollars" written there. I'm willing to bet most people write that anyways. Now your check says "Two hundred fifteen dollars and 17/100----------------dollars".

I'm not sure who thought preprinting a "19" and the word "dollars" was going to save any real time.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:24 PM

My checks all had the 19__ on them and I, too, was wondering when the checkbooks were going to get on the ball and print the 20___.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

My checks have 20__. I don't write a lot of checks so these at least a couple of years old.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

I have checks that I bought maybe twelve years ago and they have the 20__. I am down to my last one so I bought new ones last month. They don't have it.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
I have checks that I bought maybe twelve years ago and they have the 20__. I am down to my last one so I bought new ones last month. They don't have it.
I think it's all due to residual fallout from the Y2K debacle that almost was. People are still so traumatized by that, they have resolved to NEVER AGAIN presume what the first two digits of the year will be.

And maybe a good thing too! So few paper checks are being written these days, maybe a current order of blank checks will last until 2100 !
Old 01-07-2020, 12:58 AM

All of my 21st-century checks have 20__.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I have four checkbooks at hand. Two of them just have a blank "DATE" field. The other two have a "20__" field.

I also have a stack of client checks here. Let me do a quick poll of those checks. Huh. Interesting. The last fifteen handwritten checks I received, each from different clients -- every single one of them just has a plaln "date" field without a pre-printed "20".

To be honest, I don't see the point of preprinting the first two digits of the year.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-07-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 AM

Haven't your banks started chivvying you all on to paperless payments yet? Cheques aren't quite dead yet in the UK, but definitely on the way out.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
Haven't your banks started chivvying you all on to paperless payments yet? Cheques aren't quite dead yet in the UK, but definitely on the way out.
We're moving that way but, yes, checks are still popular. It's only in the last year or two that the majority of my non-corporate/individual clients have started to pay me electronically. (And it's only a slim majority.) And as far as corporate clients go, pretty much every single one of them still pays me by check. It is annoying, because I would rather be paid electronically both for the convenience/expediency and the ease of tracking/accounting.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-07-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:24 AM

Yu
Quote:
This. I don't know of anyone who has written a cheque in Canada in like 15 years.
Our electronic banking system allows you to just pay at the Point Of Service with your bank card.

ETA: Kinda ninjad by Pulykamell.

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-07-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Things have been slowly changing, but one of the changes is that checks often are paperless, from the bank's point of view. If I get a check, I can deposit it from the convenience of my home, and the bank never touches it. There's still inefficiency in that I have to receive a physical piece of paper, but that's my inconvenience, not theirs.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-07-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
When all of my creditors start taking electronic payment, then I can stop writing checks. I don't write them out of any desire to do so. Some businesses aren't set up to receive payments any other way.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Yu
This. I don't know of anyone who has written a cheque in Canada in like 15 years.
Our electronic banking system allows you to just pay at the Point Of Service with your bank card.

ETA: Kinda ninjad by Pulykamell.
Actually, I'm not even sure if anyone accepts cheques here in Canada anymore; why would they?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not even sure if anyone accepts cheques here in Canada anymore; why would they?
Youd be surprised. Corporately, we are about 75% electronic for receivables and about 98% for payables.

Personally, i pay our gardener by cheque quarterly. He is older and low tech, does not even text or have email or I would pay him that way.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:32 AM

On a related note, I saw a post on Facebook the other day warning people not to write the year as just "20", as it could easily be changed to another year, e.g. 6 Jan 20 could be turned into 6 Jan 2019 or 6 Jan 2021. Worth bearing in mind.

(Of course last year people could have changed it all to anything from 1900 to 1999, but a one-year change is more likely to be useful, I imagine.)
Old 01-07-2020, 06:35 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
All of my 21st-century checks have 20__.
Same here. IIRC, which is no sure thing, my blank check vendor offers styles both with and without that purported convenience.

Here are two reasons I still use checks: 1) A physical record of payment can prove to be very important, legally--I pay my rent with a check both because my landlord can't deal with EFT and because in the event of a dispute, a cancelled check is pretty rock-solid proof of payment that relies upon no third-party's record-keeping; and 2) I like the USPS, and I'm perfectly happy to throw them a coupla bucks' worth of business every month to try to help keep them around.

And here are two reasons I might stop using checks (except for the rent): 1) Over the past few years, reports of thieves stealing outbound mail from USPS boxes have become increasingly frequent and worrisome; and 2) If/When the GOP succeeds in their drive to privatize the USPS, they'll get no more voluntary business from me.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
The Province of New Brunswick does. That is how I remit my property taxes each spring.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
Personally, i pay our gardener by cheque quarterly. He is older and low tech, does not even text or have email or I would pay him that way.
Why not cash, then?
Old 01-07-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
On a related note, I saw a post on Facebook the other day warning people not to write the year as just "20", as it could easily be changed to another year, e.g. 6 Jan 20 could be turned into 6 Jan 2019 or 6 Jan 2021. Worth bearing in mind.
Not that it's not prudent, but the warning seems to be more of a viral phenomenon than based on any actual cases or analysis by experts.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

(Of course last year people could have changed it all to anything from 1900 to 1999, but a one-year change is more likely to be useful, I imagine.)
That's been floating around for a few days. I've yet to see a good example of why someone changing a date I wrote from "20" to "20xx" would be of any real concern. I understand what they're driving at, but I'm just not sure it's that big of a deal.

It seems like less of a big deal than an attorney friend of mine who (this was back in the 80's, before color printers/copiers/scanners) would only sign things in red ink. The reason being, if someone handed him a document with his signature in black, he knew it was a copy.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:17 AM

They should just have a "2", this way it would last a whole thousand years.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
They should just have a "2", this way it would last a whole thousand years.
Ha!

I have a blank check from the 1920s, from Panhandle Bank, Texas. It has 192_ pre-printed, not just 19__. Of course, you had to write in your name and acct number, because they were just generic.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Then there's the other big convenience, the end of the line where you spell out the amount nearly always has "dollars" written there. I'm willing to bet most people write that anyways. Now your check says "Two hundred fifteen dollars and 17/100----------------dollars".
My check says "Two hundred fifteen and 17/100----------------dollars". There is not enough room to write my own "dollars" and it wouldn't make sense. I have never received a check from someone who did. I would take that bet but I don't know how we'd settle it.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
You’d be surprised. Corporately, we are about 75% electronic for receivables and about 98% for payables.

Yeah I think some non-Americans in other developed countries overestimate how conservative/backward the US system is and/or how totally electronic theirs is, though maybe based on comments by Americans on web.

If you deal just as consumer with big co's in the US you can write next to zero checks nor will you commonly receive them. A couple of national publications (somewhat ironically) seem to only accept checks for subscriptions, can't think of any other cases where I personally must write a check for consumer purchases from large organizations. More stuff comes in the form of paper check, rebates/refunds for example especially if it's unsolicited. For example I mean if I cash in credit card rebate I'll have it go electronically to my bank account, but if the insurance company pays a rebate on the premium by some law, they don't have my bank acct info necessarily (I might pay *them* by credit card) so not sure what else they'd do but send me a paper check.

Anyway different story dealing as a small business, rental properties. I pay bills by debit card (or preferably credit card to get cash back) where possible, or Venmo to some service providers tuned into that. But a lot of other small businesses (contractors etc) want checks (or paper cash), and our tenants send us checks (or money orders). We just go with the flow there, rather than asking people to accept or send us electronic payments. It's not really a material difference in cost or convenience IMO on the receiving end. On the paying end I'd rather get CC cash back when I pay, for anything personal or business, but obviously that costs the receiver, bigger businesses tend to accept that as greasing the wheels, smaller ones tend not to. Paying electronically from bank account rather than sending a check is less of a clear cut advantage IMO, besides 'oh I/we are so modern'. It can make more than the cost of a stamp/envelope/check in interest to have a big property tax (or personal estimated tax) check postmarked by the deadline but cashed by the govt a week or 10 days later rather than have the money come out of an interest bearing account immediately when you do it electronically.

Last edited by Corry El; 01-07-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What would be the consequence of someone modifying the date like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Why not cash, then?
Why not a check? I rarely see my gardener. He comes over when Im at work. Two or three times a year he leaves an envelope under my doormat with an invoice (a small scrap of paper with what I owe) and I mail him a check.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
My check says "Two hundred fifteen and 17/100----------------dollars". There is not enough room to write my own "dollars" and it wouldn't make sense. I have never received a check from someone who did. I would take that bet but I don't know how we'd settle it.
How about any of these that popped up when I did a google image search for "handwritten check"?

Of course, it should be noted that it's redundant, but still correct. I mean $135.17 can be written as "one hundred thirty five and 17/100 dollars" or "one hundred thirty five dollars and 17/100 dollars" or even "one hundred dollars and thirty dollars and five dollars and 17/100 dollars". It's all correct.
In the end, it's just personal. As I was looking for the images, I noticed a lot of checks on auction sites written by Madonna, who writes the word dollar in the middle. I (and you) don't do it. I stopped years and years ago when I realized it wasn't necessary since the one at the end of the line took care of it. Besides, it's not like anyone looks at it that closely anyway.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Why not a check? I rarely see my gardener. He comes over when Im at work. Two or three times a year he leaves an envelope under my doormat with an invoice (a small scrap of paper with what I owe) and I mail him a check.
OK, not seeing him would make cash more difficult. I try to pay people running their own small businesses with cash to make things easier on them.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
It's not really a material difference in cost or convenience IMO on the receiving end.
As someone on the receiving end, it's a lot more expensive to take a credit card than anything else.
If 100 people owe me $1000 each for a total of $100,000...That would cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $3000 in credit card processing fees. If they each wrote be a check, it would be something closer to $20.
That, of course, assumes no bounced checks. The bounced checks are the real issue. If a customer bounces a check, it costs us $25-$50 plus, lets say half of them, that we never do collect. Plus the time, and sometimes court costs, to recover what we can.
In the end, it just easier to not accept checks and adjust our prices accordingly.
In the above example, changing that from $1000 to $1040 brings back close to $1000 after our fees.

A big difference, however, is that I'm not in the rental business. If someone bounces a check at my store I'm typically SOL. When we still accepted checks, we recovered maybe half of the bounced checks. With rentals, you know exactly who they are, where they live, can evict them and wreck their credit. You have a lot more leverage than I do.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
My checks all had the 19__ on them and I, too, was wondering when the checkbooks were going to get on the ball and print the 20___.
I remember asking my dad about this in the mid-60s. "What will they do when 2000 comes around?"
Old 01-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, since I have 15 handwritten checks sitting here, let me take a quick survey of them and report.

Eleven of them do not have a handwritten "dollars." The other four do.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, I write a lot of cheques for the kids school and/or extra-curricular activities, etc.. but also for several business accounts.

I am VP of our Little League association, on the executive for our Scouting group, the coach/manager for one of my boys hockey teams,and I was treasurer for our local community association so I have signing authority for each. Since all these organizations require 2 signatures for outgoing payments, by cheque is the only way this can be achieved.

Just last week, I was required to send a cheque and official roster through snail-mail for a hockey tournament in Nepean!? ....OK, I didn't have to mail it, but I wasn't driving all the fucking way out to Barrhaven to drop it off
Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about any of these that popped up when I did a google image search for "handwritten check"?
I'm not surprised you could find examples. I'm not saying that nobody does it, but I would bet that most people don't. If there were a way to prove it I would bet ten and 00/100 dollars Or a beer.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If someone bounces a check at my store I'm typically SOL. When we still accepted checks, we recovered maybe half of the bounced checks. With rentals, you know exactly who they are, where they live, can evict them and wreck their credit. You have a lot more leverage than I do.
Back in 2009, I checked the statistics on my business with regards to checks. I was getting too many bad checks, yet the amount of total dollars by check wasn't high enough to justify the cost of a check guarantee service.

I stopped taking checks. I figured I'd send the bad check writers to my competition! It worked out well for me.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not surprised you could find examples. I'm not saying that nobody does it, but I would bet that most people don't. If there were a way to prove it I would bet ten and 00/100 dollars Or a beer.
I"m sure most people don't, but I actually was a bit surprised at my small sample that 27% of those check writers did handwrite a "dollars" next to the amount. If you had asked me to guess, I would have guessed that maybe one or two check writers would write out "dollars." I've always just written "Three hundred and 00/100 ---------" and never "dollars" on the check.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that means we agree then.

Quote:
Back in 2009, I checked the statistics on my business with regards to checks. I was getting too many bad checks, yet the amount of total dollars by check wasn't high enough to justify the cost of a check guarantee service.

I stopped taking checks. I figured I'd send the bad check writers to my competition! It worked out well for me.
We used telecheck for a while and it was really expensive as well.
Now, during the time we used telecheck we also seemed to have a lot less bounced checks which means either telecheck was taking care of it behind the scenes and we never even knew it happened or people that were planning to write back checks wouldn't bother using their checks at our store when they saw the telecheck signs.
IME trying to collect checks, about half of them would take care of the check within a day or so of me calling them. The ones that made good on them, some searching of their public court records revealed bouncing checks is sorta their thing.

A few years back, there was a kid in here, maybe in his 20's with an older guy. They were shopping around the store and putting a lot more than seemed right in their cart. When they go to the checkout line, they wrote a check. As soon as they walked away I pulled up the kid's (who wrote the check) court records and saw that he actually had a warrant issued, that day, for writing bad checks. I called my local PD to let them know about it, but they wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it. The warrant was from several counties away (and the customers were out of our jurisdiction already) and they can't do anything about a 'potentially' bad check.

I deposited the check and waited for it to get returned. Now, before it was returned to me, another one got returned from another customer. She to seemed to make a living out of writing bad checks. In fact, I could see she had already spent 7 or 8 years in jail for it. As I was looking her up, I realized she was the mom of the kid the wrote the check the other day. Furthermore, they loved probably 45 minutes away. I'm guessing we were the closest place that accepts checks and hadn't banned them already.

This was probably 3 years ago. The kid has since died (OD?) and the mom is still in jail. There was quite a long list of court cases before they were going to get to mine that I don't think she's even been in front of a judge for mine yet. I kinda doubt she ever will. Maybe, if I'm lucky, there's a warrant for her from my city so if she ever does get out, she'll get picked back up for it. But I doubt it.

That's when we finally pulled the trigger on no longer accepting checks.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 AM

While I rarely write a personal check myself, my bank's online bill pay service will issue paper checks to any payee who does not accept electronic payment. Tend to be smaller vendors like my landscape service, pool service, etc. My pool service issues invoices via Quickbooks and I can log into Quicken and pay electronically, but that is a pain. Not sure why the online bill pay service can't let me pay electronically through Quickbooks (possible Quickbooks is their competitor).
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
While I rarely write a personal check myself, my bank's online bill pay service will issue paper checks to any payee who does not accept electronic payment. Tend to be smaller vendors like my landscape service, pool service, etc. My pool service issues invoices via Quickbooks and I can log into Quicken and pay electronically, but that is a pain. Not sure why the online bill pay service can't let me pay electronically through Quickbooks (possible Quickbooks is their competitor).
Quickbooks and Quicken were both owned by Intuit until very recently. Also, they're not really competitors since Quicken is for home use and Quickbooks is for running a business. There's a very, very small amount of crossover, but it's pretty limited to people running little tiny business (ie working from home, no employees, bringing in a few grand a year) and just need an extra hand keeping track of expenses.

I would guess the reason for not being able to pay through Quicken is that they're two different products, they just happen to have similar names. Also, Quickbooks has spent the last 5+ years trying to get as much as they can online and creating a cloud based suite of products (suite? is that right?). In any case, it makes some amount of sense that in order for anyone to do anything in that cloud, you have to be logged into their cloud. I'm not sure if that makes sense, or even if it's correct. But it's my guess.

Of course, Intuit does a lot of things that make very little sense. So they may have just not been thinking far enough into the future to realize that a lot of businesses send bills to people that are just consumers or otherwise have no reason to own quickbooks or any other intuit product.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, not seeing him would make cash more difficult. I try to pay people running their own small businesses with cash to make things easier on them.
I know that it's not all about me but a check is much easier for me since I don't have to go to the ATM. There is no need to go to the bank anymore to deposit a check since I can just use my phone. If I am physically in a shop, I never write a check. I don't even carry them with me. I always use a credit card. I totally get why a small business wouldn't accept checks anymore and it wouldn't annoy me at all if that was their policy.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
From this article (2017):
https://business.financialpost.com/e...-using-cheques

"Canadians write an average of three cheques each month, worth a total of $245."

"If consumers want out, why do many Canadian businesses insist on using cheques?"
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I too am not seeing the danger here. I should be worried that if I write a check to someone, they might modify it in such a way that it can't be cashed for several years? I say go for it.

(Of course I know that the check date doesn't really mean anything and postdated checks can be deposited regardless of the date, which makes this urban legend even more pointless.)

Last edited by markn+; 01-07-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Back in the day when I used to write cheques, the date line was always blank - I made a thing about always writing the month in full (January etc) rather and '/1', but I doubt that anyone noticed.

The amount was alway there twice. Once in writing - Twenty five pounds and 35 pence, and the other (where it was presumably scanned) in a box as a number 25 - 50.

''A/C Payee Only" was pre-printed across the cheque but I have doubts as to whether it had any real validity.

These days most larger organisations offer a discount for paying by direct debit. Some charge extra for credit card payments and some refuse to accept cheques at all. A one-man business I deal with uses PayPal for electronic transactions but prefers cash.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

When people talk about how obsolete paper checks are, they never mention how useful they were. You could write a check and get credit for payment knowing that it wouldn't be cashed for several days at least. That was very important to me if my account was low in funds. I would get time to either deposit more money or expect that my paycheck would be deposited before the payee got around to depositing the check. You can't do that with a debit card.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
When people talk about how obsolete paper checks are, they never mention how useful they were. You could write a check and get credit for payment knowing that it wouldn't be cashed for several days at least. That was very important to me if my account was low in funds. I would get time to either deposit more money or expect that my paycheck would be deposited before the payee got around to depositing the check. You can't do that with a debit card.
On the flip side: Our cleaning lady can send me a text when she's leaving our house and have the money in her account when she reaches the shop.
In the dark ages that would take up to 3 "working" days, or I would have to remember to leave enough cash (the exact amount) on the kitchen table.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Yep, you could always float yourself a couple of days until your next pay cheque especially between different banking institutions.

Unfortunately, thanks to computers and the internet, cheques go through much quicker if not instantaneously these days.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Yep, you could always float yourself a couple of days until your next pay cheque especially between different banking institutions.
Back when I accepted checks, that was one of my pet peeves. Someone would write a check that would bounce. The person would often be pissed off because the check was "put through too fast".

Many people would blame their bounced check on the bank. In one case that was correct! The guy brought a letter from his bank explaining that he deposited sufficient funds to cover the check, but the ATM was hit by lightning!
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Why not cash, then?
Because he comes, does his thing, and leaves often without us seeing him. Every so often he leaves a bill in the mailbox.

I also rarely have more than a $100 in cash in my wallet. I go through less than $1000/yr in paper money.