Old 01-21-2020, 12:35 PM

What was the very worst thing you've ever seen cooked?

In this thread about the TV show Worst Cooks in America, I tell of possibly the worst cook I have ever met in my life. I watched her chop an onion, mix it with ketchup and then pour that on boiled spaghetti. She then served it to her children. I declined a bowl. Let's show the people at Food Network there is no need for ringers. What was the very worst thing ever presented to you as a cooked meal?
Old 01-21-2020, 12:48 PM

A very good, very old friend fancies himself a good cook. My wife and I visited him the night before a party he was throwing the next day and he showed off some stew he was preparing. Great huge pot of it. Smelled good. We arrived the next day to find the very same pot in exactly the same spot on the stove. He said it sat there all night (too big to put in the fridge) and he was just warming it up. We passed on having any and we watched in horror as all the guests were filling their bowls. Images of imminent event of violent projectile vomit and worse came to us as we stuck to the fresh vegetables and cheese plate.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Fricasseed rat.

Some of my colleagues from the University of Auckland were doing research on Polynesian rats and they were trapping them in field study on the island we were working on. Since the Maori used to consider rat a favorite food, they decided to fry up some of the carcasses and try them out.

I tried some. No, not all weird foods "taste like chicken." They tasted exactly like rat.

(Other rodents I've tried have been quite tasty however, including Guinea Pig and Paca.)
Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 PM

I remember going to a vegan friend's house. She was trying a new recipe for quinoa chili. It was my first time having quinoa and what I got was a watery, flavorless, mushy stew of quinoa and unidentifiable vegetables. Some of them, may have been peppers. My friend was so proud that I didn't have the heart to turn down seconds. My acting must have been top notch because Mrs. Charming and Rested asked me later how it was possible that I enjoyed it.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
A very good, very old friend fancies himself a good cook. My wife and I visited him the night before a party he was throwing the next day and he showed off some stew he was preparing. Great huge pot of it. Smelled good. We arrived the next day to find the very same pot in exactly the same spot on the stove. He said it sat there all night (too big to put in the fridge) and he was just warming it up. We passed on having any and we watched in horror as all the guests were filling their bowls. Images of imminent event of violent projectile vomit and worse came to us as we stuck to the fresh vegetables and cheese plate.
You do know that not all un refridgerated food goes off right away? Was it in a particularly hot climate? Was it chicken? Even on that, it will day a fair bit of time for cooked food to get to the state of food poisoning. Reheating will often remove such germs too.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 PM

The nastiest thing I have ever had in my mouth was Turkey a la King. I was a really picky eater as a child (now I'm simply "discerning" ) and my mom was trying to get me to try more foods. I had only just agreed to give milk a chance and I finally got to like it. But I digress. She must have been flushed with that success because she somehow thought it was a surefire bet that I would like what looked like vomit on toast and didn't smell much better. I don't even know why I went along with it. She was just being so nice about it (very rare) and I guess I was trying to prove I wasn't a baby. I WILL NEVER FORGET THE SENSATION OF THAT CREAMY / CHUNKY GLOP IN MY MOUTH. I don't know how I managed to make myself swallow it - I do remember it almost coming right back up immediately thereafter.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing the OP is asking for, but I will take fricasseed rat in a pool of quinoa chili that has been left out of the fridge all night to the pure, unadulterated evil that is turkey a la king.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I remember visiting a cousin of mine with my mom and brother in the monastery in Poland when I was about 12. We were presented some sort of soup for lunch with a number of dead insects/larva/whatnot in it, presumably from the vegetables they were cooked with. (I think it was cauliflower soup. And I don’t think it was an intentional inclusion.) At any rate, we all ate our bowl without a peep, so as to not offend our host, but we did talk about it later amongst ourselves.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-21-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I remember visiting a cousin of mine with my mom and brother in the monastery in Poland when I was about 12. We were presented some sort of soup for lunch with a number of dead insects/larva/whatnot in it, presumably from the vegetables they were cooked with. (I think it was cauliflower soup. And I donít think it was an intentional inclusion.) At any rate, we all ate our bowl without a peep, so as to not offend our host, but we did talk about it later amongst ourselves.
Still better than turkey a la king
Old 01-21-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I make chicken a la king every so often, and I canít really see turkey being that much worse. Of course, it depends on the cook. I like the stuff.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a girlfriend ages ago who's Grandmother was a little loopy. So we go over to her house for Thanksgiving and it was just bizarre. She made a turkey ans stuffed it with what I ca only guess was every can she hsd in the cupboard that she was planning to throw away - corn, green beans, sauerkraut...
But the kicker was her special dish of "Chinese noodled with cheese" which was literally a big bowl of thin glass noodles with a brick of Velveeta melted into it.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:58 PM

My mother was a horrible cook, and we siblings agree that she had several utterly loathsome dishes she thought of as fancy enough for company. The worst probably was filet of sole with green grapes. Imagine a thin grayish fish-flavored sauce covering the tasteless fish, which was decorated with boiled seedless grapes. That's it. Served with instant rice.

Boiling doesn't improve grapes.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 01-21-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
In this thread about the TV show Worst Cooks in America, I tell of possibly the worst cook I have ever met in my life. I watched her chop an onion, mix it with ketchup and then pour that on boiled spaghetti. She then served it to her children. I declined a bowl. Let's show the people at Food Network there is no need for ringers. What was the very worst thing ever presented to you as a cooked meal?
My brother used to cook his hamburgers in the microwave.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:13 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't think you're going to one-up anybody else if the worst thing you've ever eaten is turkey a la king.

Now rat alfredo, maybe...

Last edited by Colibri; 01-21-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
But the kicker was her special dish of "Chinese noodled with cheese" which was literally a big bowl of thin glass noodles with a brick of Velveeta melted into it.
Ö.I'd eat it.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
My in-laws (who live with us) do this. They'll keep pots of soup on the stove for a couple of days at a time like that, just reheating it whenever they want to serve it. I hate it and beg them to put it in the refrigerator, but they say they've done it that way their entire lives and it's never gotten anyone sick so they're not going to change now.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
My in-laws (who live with us) do this. They'll keep pots of soup on the stove for a couple of days at a time like that, just reheating it whenever they want to serve it. I hate it and beg them to put it in the refrigerator, but they say they've done it that way their entire lives and it's never gotten anyone sick so they're not going to change now.
I'd eat it without a second's hesitation as long as my nose said it was still good.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
I'd eat it without a second's hesitation as long as my nose said it was still good.
I'm a bit more careful in the summertime but yeah, I am quite casual about refrigeration, and have never gotten ill from it. I've gotten sick from restaurant meals but not my own.

I'm careful about milk though. Having a home dairy will do that to you.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

A couple of contenders:

When I was posted to embassy Lisbon as the facilities manager, my crew of locals asked me to their lunch room to celebrate for the new year. They had a wine that was apparently brewed yesterday in someone's sink, and that likely removed some enamel from my teeth. Hey, I've had worse. But they also prepared a traditional stew called cozido, which contains boiled meats and vegetables. That doesn't sound so bad, but it really, really matters just what sort of meat is in it.

At its heart, this is a peasant dish, and it honestly looked like someone dumped pig parts in a blender. There were actually feet and ears in there and giant globs of fat. Because of a traumatic childhood incident, I can't eat fat, and it makes me gag to see others wolf it down. I started feeling nauseated as soon as my plate was plunked down in front of me, not to mention feeling trapped in a situation from which it would be difficult to extricate myself, since I was sort of a guest of honor. Between the coarseness of the wine and the smell and sight of the food, my nausea became worse and I felt a vicious alcohol headache coming on.

I managed to get some veggies down the hatch, but the capper for me was when I saw one of the locals gnawing on a pig's ear. I mumbled something about having a headache and bolted for the door. I know they were insulted, but I'm sure it would have been worse had I vomited on the table.

The other one that comes to mind was my farewell lunch when I was posted to embassy Bamako. Mutton is the meat of choice there, but again, it's very fatty. It sat out in the blistering heat for some time before everyone gathered to eat, and it had been liberally sampled by flies that were still all over it. Luckily, everyone was chowing down and not paying any attention to me as I covered my plate with a paper towel. I break out in a sweat every time I think of it.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
You do know that not all un refridgerated food goes off right away? Was it in a particularly hot climate? Was it chicken? Even on that, it will day a fair bit of time for cooked food to get to the state of food poisoning. Reheating will often remove such germs too.
Yep. It was chicken.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 PM

Not necessarily poorly prepared (although how would I know), but a during stroll through a Night Market in Beijing I saw many cooked snacks that I wish I could unsee. The crispy giant caterpillars on a stick (the damned things had to be 6-8 inches long) were particularly memorable.

Maybe if they were lightly coated with lark's vomit and enrobed in the finest Belgian chocolate...

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 01-21-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 01-21-2020, 07:19 PM

My mom was a depression baby from the midwest, and wasn't much of a cook.

She'd combine all the leftovers from the fridge in one pot and call it "garbage soup". All the small refrigerator containers of spaghetti, creamed corn, tamale pie remnants, and red beans and rice would be stirred together in a pot with water and served up. I'm still nauseated just thinking about it.

ETA: as far as restaurant meals, we were once in a Chinese restaurant, and a waiter walked by bearing a plate of fermented tofu. It smelled exactly like cat shit. Diners in the restaurant were covering their noses and gagging.

Last edited by teela brown; 01-21-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 PM

I have not traveled much outside the U.S. (I've stuck toes into Mexico and Canada) so I don't really have an "unfamiliar ingredient" story. I do remember being about 8 years old, and was invited to stay for dinner at a playmate's/neighbor's house. There was NOTHING on that table that I would eat, but I did nibble at a little bit of what was probably instant rice in a watery tomato sauce, and my mother fixed me a plate when I got home and explained what had happened.

Around the same age, my church hosted a curry dinner as a fundraiser, and the adults were very excited about this. Us kids were all holding our noses when we walked into the church, and couldn't believe the grownups were actually eating that stuff. My band director went there, and he was grinning from ear to ear with a heaping plate of it. Me? I got a small portion, and ate the rice and pineapple. I'm still not a big curry fan, except with roasted cauliflower.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Then there was the infamous 1/4" chicken. I call it that because that's all the deeper the cooked part actually went. From there on it was pink, and on to frozen in the middle. This was because the guy cooking it had forgotten to take it out of the freezer. C'mon, man, how do you forget the main course?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM

This brought back memories of the time when I had dinner at my girlfriendís home and her mother made this concoction of octopus, shrimps and eggplant braised in some kind of soy sauce broth. I like all those things separately but when combined, it gave off the most foulest of odors and the way everything came out black, it wasnít appetizing to the eyes either. It was served family style in a big cocotte so I just declined to serve myself and saved myself from having to vomit at the dinner table.

I later asked my girlfriend what that dish was and she said it didnít have a name. Just an original Frankenstein recipe her mother came up. She hated it too.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have not traveled much outside the U.S. (I've stuck toes into Mexico and Canada) so I don't really have an "unfamiliar ingredient" story. I do remember being about 8 years old, and was invited to stay for dinner at a playmate's/neighbor's house. There was NOTHING on that table that I would eat, but I did nibble at a little bit of what was probably instant rice in a watery tomato sauce, and my mother fixed me a plate when I got home and explained what had happened.

Around the same age, my church hosted a curry dinner as a fundraiser, and the adults were very excited about this. Us kids were all holding our noses when we walked into the church, and couldn't believe the grownups were actually eating that stuff. My band director went there, and he was grinning from ear to ear with a heaping plate of it. Me? I got a small portion, and ate the rice and pineapple. I'm still not a big curry fan, except with roasted cauliflower.
Oddly, my kids have become very picky eaters -- like in the "kids menu" only chicken nuggets/fingers, hamburgers and fries sort of thing. The plainer, the better for them. But they somehow like curry and extra sharp cheese of any sort.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post

She'd combine all the leftovers from the fridge in one pot and call it "garbage soup". All the small refrigerator containers of spaghetti, creamed corn, tamale pie remnants, and red beans and rice would be stirred together in a pot with water and served up. I'm still nauseated just thinking about it.

ETA: as far as restaurant meals, we were once in a Chinese restaurant, and a waiter walked by bearing a plate of fermented tofu. It smelled exactly like cat shit. Diners in the restaurant were covering their noses and gagging.
There's a woman on another website who has said many times that "meals like your grandmother used to make" would be a mortal insult, because the one grandmother she grew up with was a really bad cook. She overboiled EVERYTHING into a tasteless mush.

A man I dated in college told me about his strangest restaurant experience; it was a, if you will, genuine Chinese restaurant and on the appetizer menu was fish lips. Yes, fish lips, and for 99 cents, they thought, what the heck? He and his companions (IIRC, his dad and stepmom) ordered it, and they brought out a platter of something that looked and tasted like gelatinous rubber bands. Oh, well, for 99 cents, it was worth it to say he'd tried fish lips.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The nastiest thing I have ever had in my mouth was Turkey a la King. I was a really picky eater as a child (now I'm simply "discerning" ) and my mom was trying to get me to try more foods. I had only just agreed to give milk a chance and I finally got to like it. But I digress. She must have been flushed with that success because she somehow thought it was a surefire bet that I would like what looked like vomit on toast and didn't smell much better. I don't even know why I went along with it. She was just being so nice about it (very rare) and I guess I was trying to prove I wasn't a baby. I WILL NEVER FORGET THE SENSATION OF THAT CREAMY / CHUNKY GLOP IN MY MOUTH. I don't know how I managed to make myself swallow it - I do remember it almost coming right back up immediately thereafter.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing the OP is asking for, but I will take fricasseed rat in a pool of quinoa chili that has been left out of the fridge all night to the pure, unadulterated evil that is turkey a la king.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
With all due respect, I don't think you're going to one-up anybody else if the worst thing you've ever eaten is turkey a la king.

Now rat alfredo, maybe...
Casserole is the work of the devil. The thought of eating rat might be disgusting but at the end of the day its just another meat. But the texture and appearance of casserole, especially tuna, is truly disgusting.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Casserole is the work of the devil. The thought of eating rat might be disgusting but at the end of the day its just another meat. But the texture and appearance of casserole, especially tuna, is truly disgusting.
You're also not going to one-up anyone with tuna casserole.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Who the fuck doesn't like casseroles? Those are like the most basic, crowd-pleasing dishes ever.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Really - casserole? That's Da Bomb!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 PM

Apparently anyone who doesnt live in Chicago.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:40 AM

"Broccoli surprise," served at a friend's house when I was a child. Now, I loathe broccoli and always have, but this was a uniquely horrid take on it. It consisted solely of large broccoli chunks in a block of underdone Bisquick. I was a very polite child and so I did not complain. I gagged down (literally) as much as I could and spread the remainder around my plate.

That was even worse than the quiche made with spoiled cheese (again having dinner at a childhood friend's place). In that case, I was saved by virtue of everyone else at the table declaring the food revolting, and so I only had to down a bite or two. The father, who had cooked the meal, got a verbal scolding from the mother for apparently being unable to smell when cheese had gone bad. Nevertheless, this was not as bad as the broccoli surprise.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:33 AM

Before I was born:

My mom was a great cook. Or at least she became one after my dad's mom taught her everything. Anyway, one evening when she was still somewhat of a newlywed, they had some very important company over. She decided to make a dessert she'd never made before, baked Alaska. But she must have gotten distracted when it was in the oven. Long story short, she had to improvise something else for dessert.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:56 AM

Not seen, but ate and got sick!

My SIL made beef stew and flank steak and fresh string beans. Her Mom was a great cook, so she never cooked before she got married. The meat completely fell apart, becoming grainy and the string beans, which were also severely overcooked, gave the stew a strange flavor. My ex and I got sick that night. The next day I asked my Dad, who and a cast iron stomach, said he was sick too. Later, when I asked my brother if he got sick, he said he did and my SIL threw the rest of the stew out. OTOH, my Mom who absolutely loved my SIL (because she was overly protective like my Mom), said she was having seconds the day. No one else ate a bite!
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 AM

Worst meal I ever had given to me by someone who claimed they knew how to cook was a friend's wife who meaned well but "cooked us" some soup when I was over the house on several occassions helping her husband fix something.

The soup was literally ramen noodles, but nuked in the microwave with the noodles still in the water the entire time. The result was the gummiest, most bland ramen noodles in lukewarm water I ever tasted. My friend acted like this was a made-from-scratch home cooked meal for whatever reason. He would brag to other friends about his "wife's amazing soups" she made. I have no idea why he did that but it made it so I always remembered it.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Growing up in VA moms would occasionally get a hankering for some of that old school soul food.

At about the age of 7 when I smelled chitterlings being cleaned for the first time I puked, ran out of the house and didn't return until the smell had gone away. It goes without saying that the experience left an impression. A little more than 30 years later I find myself sitting in a restaurant in Taiwan where our hosts wanted us to sample a wide variety of local cuisine and, you guessed it, some type of pig intestines was on the menu. I'm pretty sure I insulted our host when I passed on the dish but I was just happy that I didn't start dry heaving at the table.

Years later when I was a teenager I went to see what was for dinner and there floating in a pot of almost boiling water were 2 nasty looking severed feet. The older folks couldn't wait to tear into those pig's feet but how anyone can eat that shit is beyond my ability to understand.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Exactly! It's not exotic or strange compared to everyone else's examples, but t a l k (and any casserole) is nearly as nasty as it gets, imo
Old 01-22-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Yup, me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Then there was the infamous 1/4" chicken. I call it that because that's all the deeper the cooked part actually went. From there on it was pink, and on to frozen in the middle. This was because the guy cooking it had forgotten to take it out of the freezer. C'mon, man, how do you forget the main course?
But I wouldn't eat that. That sounds dicey. I mean, maybe a slice from the very outside...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Who the fuck doesn't like casseroles? Those are like the most basic, crowd-pleasing dishes ever.
Me. I don't like mystery agglomerations of stuff with weird textures. That includes most casseroles. Give me a crispy fried caterpillar or a sauted rat, thanks.

But the worst food I've ever eaten was mystery meat. I was in the Czech republic, and couldn't read the signs at the buffet. It was some meat on the bone in a dark sauce. It looked okay. But wow did it taste foul. I had trouble getting the taste out of my mouth. No idea what it was.

The most disgusting dish I didn't eat was natto. Looks like lumpy gray snot and smells nasty. I tried to eat it, mostly to say I had done so. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It's very popular in Japan, though. I assume it's super-nutritious, and people develop a taste for it because their body says, "that was GOOD!". So it was easy to give my portion to someone sitting next to me.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

There was the time my MIL made us a fancy Salt Crusted steak. Only she didn't cook it hot enough, or something.... the meat was grey, soggy, and absorbed tons of the salt.

I was polite and choked my serving down. My wife rinsed her steak off in the sink.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I take it all back.
I just saw Paris make Lasagna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayImIgdgLEI
Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 AM

I was walking around a night market in Cali, Colombia in '98 when the most heavenly cooking meat smell pulled me to the curb. So I got my paper plateful and started chewing the first mouthful of what looked like brown elbow macaroni. And chewed, and chewed...first the wonderful flavor fled, and then I began to wonder if I would ever even be able to grind this now liver-tasting thing up. Finally I just swallowed and at the end of the block offered the plate to a homeless person, who took it and started shoveling, as if this was a ritual we had observed nightly for years.

The next day an acquaintance said "beef aorta".

My least favorite notional dish? Liver smothered in Brussels sprouts. I'm working hard on learning to love the sprouts.

Dan
Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Old, old chicken (I mean the lifespan, not the freshness -- it was almost certainly killed that day) in a Honduran village, then roasted.

Old chickens are tough as hell and should be stewed, long and low, to get tender enough to eat. This one was like trying to chew my shoe. Totally inedible.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
But I wouldn't eat that. That sounds dicey. I mean, maybe a slice from the very outside...
Nope. I cut into it, saw the pink, and that was the end of that. I watched in horror as some other folks at the table attempted to eat it. I would imagine they had interesting nights.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandan View Post
The next day an acquaintance said "beef aorta".
Arrrrrgh - that just brought back a memory of the time my mother (who was generally a pretty good cook) somehow thought it was a good idea to cook a beef heart. I don't know if there is a proper way to cook it, but cooking and serving it as a beef roast (including bringing the whole disgusting thing to the table and carving it) just wasn't it. Just thinking back to the texture of the smooth muscle meat is making my skin crawl - and this had to be 50 years ago. Easily the worst thing ever served at home.

Then there was the time when my family went to China in 1985. My father was born and raised there, but he wasn't too good with the simplified Chinese characters which came into use after he left. In a restaurant he ordered what he thought was chicken and winter melon soup. A big steaming tureen of soup came to the table, I hungrily went to fill the first bowl to pull up a ladle full of chicken feet.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 01-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:37 AM

I spent a couple months on a Russian fishing boat. I lost 10 lbs. A few memorable foods/drinks:
One of the crew fermented bread to make some sort of alcohol. It was nearly iridescent green and smelled like turpentine. I passed. Didn't want to go blind.
Something I called "Chicken parts soup". I don't know where the meat of the chicken went as all I ever saw were bits of livers/gizzards and who knows what floating in broth. I seriously never saw any chicken meat. Just the innards.
"Liver Pockets" tasted like bad pate wrapped in dough and deep fried. One bite was all I could take.

The strangest thing to me was that we never had fish. The boat processed 300 tons of fish a day and we never had any to eat.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Not necessarily poorly prepared (although how would I know), but a during stroll through a Night Market in Beijing I saw many cooked snacks that I wish I could unsee. The crispy giant caterpillars on a stick (the damned things had to be 6-8 inches long) were particularly memorable.

Maybe if they were lightly coated with lark's vomit and enrobed in the finest Belgian chocolate...
I'm going to Beijing for the first time in April, and I had planned to be adventurous and eat whatever came my way...but I see now how foolish I was. They have McDonalds, right?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I'm going to Beijing for the first time in April, and I had planned to be adventurous and eat whatever came my way...but I see now how foolish I was. They have McDonalds, right?
I would happily eat anything a master chef of Chinese Imperial Cuisine threw at me. They can make anything taste heavenly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_imperial_cuisine

Last edited by madsircool; 01-22-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post

This is an actual 'thing'. Comedienne Phyllis Diller popularized it years ago, she called it 'Garbage Soup'. You start out making soup with meat or a bone, add onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and vegetables, and you basically clean our your refrigerator of any leftovers. Including leftover spaghetti, and salad (with salad dressing) - all boiled together.

I wasn't there, but my grandmother told us how grandpa wanted her to cook kidneys, and she refused. One day she was out, and came home to find he and a neighbor had bought and cooked kidneys. Without preparing them properly, I guess, she said the house reeked of urine! The neighbor and grandpa were violently ill following their kidney feast.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM

I've eaten iguana a few times in St Martin. It doesn't taste bad, exactly, but they are free range iguanas that are lean, so there isn't much meat on them.

I was offered cat on Dominica at a party. I politely declined, explaining that I had a pet cat at home. My host didn't understand, as she had several pet cats, but occasionally she would eat one.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:43 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
A big steaming tureen of soup came to the table, I hungrily went to fill the first bowl to pull up a ladle full of chicken feet.
I've had chicken feet at dim sum. They are quite tasty if disconcerting.