Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 AM

What is a yachts good for?

I read in another thread a signature that left me perplexed:

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

I am fine with rich people, this is not about envy: I am a millionaire myself in a valauble currency, and can understand living in a mansion. Both are nice. But could someone tell me what a yacht is good for? If you buy a small one, everything is too small, everything gets damp, you can't stand up without hitting your head against something (I am 6'4"), the cooking is at best primitive, the only fresh produce may be the fish, if you catch one, the rest is canned or dried or dreadful. Internet connections are slow, expensive or non-existant. If you buy a big ship you have to stand (and pay!) the crew. Repairs are awfully expensive, everything is made bespoke and does not fit, and the food still does not taste great. Around you there is only water, the sun is too bright and the ground keeps on moving. Makes you sick. I will stop the description of my impression there; you get the general idea.
So, this is my question: what are yachts good for? How can you enjoy them? Who came up with the idea that they could be made into a luxury segment and how did he (it was a man, right?) get away with it?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:27 AM

Sorry for the confusion in the title between singular and plural: the title is the bit you cannot edit. Typical me.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:50 AM
I was curious...

A lot of people like boats and spending time on them; you clearly don't. And of course, once you have a boat, there's always a nicer one you can get (which can mitigate a lot of the factors you mention) by spending more money. I think that's all there is to it.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

You're thinking too small. The yachts mllionaires own s basically a floating mansion with all the comforts.

And a lot of people love being on the water.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:03 AM

It's cheaper than a vacation villa on St Lucia and has the advantage of being able to visit other islands. If you entertain of lend it for the use of a business associate you can write off the expenses from your taxes.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
But could someone tell me what a yacht is good for? If you buy a small one, everything is too small, everything gets damp, you can't stand up without hitting your head against something (I am 6'4")...
So don't get a small one.

Quote:
...the cooking is at best primitive, the only fresh produce may be the fish, if you catch one, the rest is canned or dried or dreadful.
Cooking need not be primitive if your luxury yacht is equipped with a decent kitchen and you come into port at least every couple of days so your crew can pick up fresh groceries.

Quote:
Internet connections are slow, expensive or non-existant.
This wasn't even an issue until the last 10-15 years. Satellite internet is slower than cable, but it's not terrible. It's adequate for general surfing, and you can download a movie ahead of time to assure seamless viewing. If you're in port, I suspect you have ready access to cellular data and/or wifi of some kind, with the kind of speeds we're used to on dry land.

Quote:
If you buy a big ship you have to stand (and pay!) the crew. Repairs are awfully expensive, everything is made bespoke and does not fit...
If you're worried about cost and quality of bespoke appointments, then you're clearly not rich enough for a superyacht.

Quote:
Around you there is only water, the sun is too bright and the ground keeps on moving. Makes you sick.
If you're prone to motion sickness, then sea life of any kind is probably not for you. But for someone who owns a superyacht, I suspect it's the equivalent of a luxury RV (albeit with a crew to operate/maintain it). You come aboard the yacht in your home port, and then hopscotch your way along the coast, spending a day or two (or maybe just a night) in this port and that port, never cruising more than a couple of miles away from the shoreline. Wherever you spend any significant time ashore, you rent a car (or maybe a car with a chauffeur). It's basically your home away from home, stocked with all the creature comforts.

Having said all that, the costs involved are indeed ridiculous.

Last edited by Machine Elf; 02-06-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 AM

The yacht and mega yacht owners I've talked with seem happy with their boats. They are a lot like other people I know with motor homes, driving around and exploring places, using the motor home/yacht as a home base.

Yachts are typically anchored and secured while the owners and their guests head to shore in small rigid inflatable tenders.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51 AM

Yacht = penis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-06-2020, 08:53 AM

You're not really "rich" until you both have a lot of money and everybody knows it.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:53 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

There are two types of people in the world - boat people and everybody else. For many years, my husband and I were boat people. It was our hobby, our recreation, and we'd hoped it would be our retirement. Even tho we sold our last boat just before I retired, we still like being on the water, and if we hit a big jackpot, we'd consider having another boat.

And, technically, a yacht is any power or sail vessel over about 25' used for pleasure, so we've owned yachts: 30', 36', & 37'. None required hired crew, and we were able to do most of the maintenance ourselves. But when we calculated that just owning our last one, which was paid off, still cost us $500/month for docking, insurance, and maintenance, that's when we figured our pension wouldn't permit it. Like Mick says, you can't always get what you want...
Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Link to a popular youtube channel about a couple who sail their catamaran around the world. Have a watch, you might get it or might not. It's not for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xED6jYxWaGg
Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 AM

I'm with you every fathom of the way, Pardel. You missed a few - you can't piss standing up*; and there's a non-zero chance of drowning for no damn reason at all. Even if the moving ground doesn't make you sick, the person next to you throwing up will. And it's not just that the sun's too bright, it's way to windy as well, so you can get frostbite and sunburn at the same time. (If you want to do this, buy a ticket to Silverstone and sit in the open stands opposite the old pit lane - at least you'll have motor racing to take your mind off the misery.)

j

* - Well, you can in port. But that sounds like a long wait in between pisses.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

It seems to me that you'd be better off just chartering a yacht when you need one, even if it costs half a million or more a week. For the same reason, I don't understand why people buy private jets; just get a NetJets card and charter a plane when you want to get somewhere.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:28 AM

It's pronounced, "Throat-wobbler Mangrove".
Old 02-06-2020, 10:30 AM

Step one to owning a yacht is having enough money that you don't notice the cost of owning the yacht. Assuming you've got a small yacht you're looking at about $5mil per year in opex. I would suggest that about 5% of pretax income would be the most you'd want to spend on your yacht. So you need to earn $100mil per year which after inflation but before taxes (3%) required you to have about $3-3.5B in the bank before you can play in that world.

Once you have that kind of money you can be quite comfortable on board your 80' boat and have it customized for how you want to use it. Think of it as spending $25mil for a mansion that can travel to the best places in the world.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Am I really the first person on this Loony Tunes loving board to point out this is a joke? Or does the OP realize that but doesn't understand the joke? What's up, doc?
Old 02-06-2020, 10:38 AM

We were in St Martin a few years ago when the super-yacht C2 was there. I never met Ronald Perelman, but I saw one of his children on Pinel Island.

One of C2's tenders crewed by two men who looked like secret service agents came to Pinel's little dock. The two men were in uniform; khaki shorts, boat shoes, casual but matching shirts, sunglasses and they were wearing earbud/microphone units to keep in touch with each other.

When the tender arrived, the boy stayed aboard with one of the men while the other guy scoped out the area, walking the beach and looking for problems, I guess. Then the boy was brought over to the beach and he and one of the men played in the sand while the other man stood, constantly surveying the area. After about an hour they left.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Other than simply being an expensive toy for the super-rich, I wonder how much actual time people spend on their yachts. Assuming they aren't "boat people" who just love spending time on the water for it's own sake.

Like how much time does a busy CEO or celebrity actually get to spend on their mega-yacht each year? A few weeks? The entire summer?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It seems to me that you'd be better off just chartering a yacht when you need one, even if it costs half a million or more a week. For the same reason, I don't understand why people buy private jets; just get a NetJets card and charter a plane when you want to get somewhere.
With that level of income, yes I agree. There is a 'sweet spot' between us regular humans and the 1 percenters that can buy a yacht out of the change in their sofa cushions. These reasonably normal rich people are the ones that chaarter instead of buy, lease luxury properties and wear their shoes more than once ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
I'm with you every fathom of the way, Pardel. You missed a few - you can't piss standing up*;

* - Well, you can in port. But that sounds like a long wait in between pisses.
Stand on deck, unzip and aim downwind ... pissing while standing accomplished.

[I have peed using the 'head' facilities on an old whaler out for an afternoon. I could NOT see doing it in bad weather!]
Old 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Louis CK own(ed) a meridian 341, which looks like it has about as much interior room as a 20' camper.

https://assets.dnainfo.com/generated...extralarge.jpg

https://images.yachtcloser.com/66610...GE-980x652.jpg

I have no idea about the price, I'd guess half a million to a million for a new one. No idea.

I'm guessing it is a form of conspicuous consumption. A way to show you have money to burn.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Am I really the first person on this Loony Tunes loving board to point out this is a joke?
No.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Yacht = penis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
But..I just traded for a smaller yacht.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Regarding small yachts, you might as well ask why people go camping or backpacking. Being outdoors, in the midst of nature, appreciating beautiful scenery is worth a little less comfort in sleeping and other arrangements. And food doesn't have to be any worse than at home. I've spent lots of time on overnight trips on boats and research vessels, and it's no big deal.

Regarding mega-yachts, you might as well ask why people go on cruises. While I haven't been on one, I am pretty sure the comfort level isn't going to be much less than a luxury beach resort.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bits View Post
Yacht = penis
long, hard, full of sea men?
Old 02-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Without yachts, we'd have to find another name for yacht rock. Or get rid of it entirely.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:18 PM

When somebody (Elmer Fudd?) mentions a yacht, why are people automatically talking about $30 million or even $5 million boats (which admittedly are nice, especially if you plan to live on one for an extended tour). Are houses "an expensive toy for the super-rich"? Because a normal yacht that normal people buy costs a lot less than your apartment, maybe even less than some posters' cars. Believe it or not, some people simply enjoy sailing (and surfing, and diving, or other water sports and activities that require gear).

Last edited by DPRK; 02-06-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:25 PM

It was from a cartoon released in 1955 (Hare Brush). That predates me by a bit, but was the American economy at that time strong enough to make any sort of boat ownership common? Rowboats fitted with outboard motors for bass fishin', sure, but personal transatlantic-capable vessels? Seems like a pretty expensive toy for the time.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 02-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:25 PM

May I repeat myself?
Quote:
[bla bla bla...]
So, this is my question: what are yachts good for? How can you enjoy them? Who came up with the idea that they could be made into a luxury segment and how did he (it was a man, right?) get away with it?
Joke or no joke, by me or by Elmer J. Fudd, nobody has explained what is so good about Throat-wobbler Mangroves. I don't get it, fine. Please explain. Just saying "some people like them" is not an explanation nor is it going to convince the ones that don't.
Only Treppenwitz said there is nothing there to explain, because yachts are no fun at all. Thank you for that.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:33 PM

From Here:
Quote:
Term "Luxury yacht" began to appear at the beginning of the 20th century when wealthy individuals constructed large private yachts for personal pleasure. This coincided with it being picked up by the press as well, and its appearance in magazines such as Boat International, stabilized it as an everyday term in the industry. Early luxury motor yachts include the Cox and King yachts, M/Y (motor yachts) Christina O and M/Y Savarona.

The number of very large yachts has increased rapidly since the 1990s and increasingly only yachts above around 65 meters (213 feet) stand out among other luxury yachts. A yacht of this size usually has four decks above the water line and one or two below. It is likely to have a helicopter landing platform. Apart from additional guest cabins, which almost always include one or more "VIP suites" besides the owner's suite, extra facilities compared to a 50-metre (160 feet) yacht will include some or all of indoor Jacuzzis, sauna and steam rooms, a beauty salon, massage and other treatment rooms, a medical center, a discothèque, a cinema, plunge pool, a playroom, and additional living areas such as a separate bar, secondary dining room, private sitting rooms or a library.

From 2009 yachts above 100 meters (328 feet) are still rare but they are appearing more common. Usually they have five decks above the water line and one below. The very largest yachts have begun to incorporate such features as helicopter hangars, indoor swimming pools and miniature submarines. Number of "small" super yachts has led to the introduction of the new terms like "Mega Yacht" and "Giga Yacht" to separate the elite among luxury yachts. The latest launch M/Y Eclipse out of the Yard of Blohm and Voss is the largest Super yacht in the World built for the Russian Roman Abramovich.
Sounds pretty nice to me, nothing at all like the dismal personal watercraft described in the OP, but it is ultimately a matter of what you like. Also: crazy starry night skies, all the fishing you could want to do, access to remote beaches & uninhabited islands, the feeling of being just about as free as is possible in this age.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 02-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

Do you expect anyone to convince you that going out on a boat is fun? If you care enough to find out for yourself, arrange with a nearby yacht club or boat-owning friend to take a short trip some weekend, and then you'll know for sure. If you can't be bothered to try it, it's a moot question.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:38 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
May I repeat myself?

Joke or no joke, by me or by Elmer J. Fudd, nobody has explained what is so good about Throat-wobbler Mangroves. I don't get it, fine. Please explain. Just saying "some people like them" is not an explanation nor is it going to convince the ones that don't.
Only Treppenwitz said there is nothing there to explain, because yachts are no fun at all. Thank you for that.
If you don't get it, then it's going to be impossible to explain it to you. Why should anyone bother trying to explain it to you if you're never going to understand? You've singled out the one person who agreed with you rather than those who have tried to explain it to you. It's clear that you really aren't interested in understanding.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
May I repeat myself?

I don't think art museums are any fun at all, so why do people go to them? Is it possible that people have different interests and things that you might not like, others do and vice versa?
Old 02-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I am fine with rich people, this is not about envy: I am a millionaire myself in a valauble currency, and can understand living in a mansion. Both are nice. But could someone tell me what a yacht is good for? If you buy a small one, everything is too small,...If you buy a big ship you have to stand (and pay!) the crew.
On the second one I think I agree. It's hard IME to project how you would feel about a given amount of spending you can't afford now, if you could afford it (let alone what anyone else should do). However I'm pretty sure I would not like the idea of having to interact with 'my' crew as owner of a yacht too big to operate by myself. And yes to me it would be different than a cruise ship staff. That's how I feel as of now. But give me a few billion and we'll see how it actually pans out.

On the smaller end it's a matter of taste though and while I also don't have a small boat at the moment, I can easily see why somebody would want to do this. Certainly 'yachts' that are just little boats you take out to sail, fish etc. with for the day. Although seems you're talking mainly live aboard yachts. But I went to the NY Boat Show for the first time last year and they trucked in some boats that were remarkably large to get through the streets of NY and into the Javits Center, but that you could operate by yourself with some base of relevant knowledge (which I happen to have). A non-crew yacht isn't necessarily tiny and cramped. Those boats would have significant upkeep costs relative to purchase price obviously, and you'd have to deal with repair and maintenance outfits, but that's not nearly as unattractive a prospect to me as the idea of living aboard with a crew I pay. I daydreamed briefly 'this would be nice' while on those boats.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:02 PM

You don't have to have lots of cash to spend time on a yacht, just so you can bake good banana bread.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
There's an old saying: If you can float it, fuck it, or fly it, don't buy it. You're better off renting.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Link to a popular youtube channel [...] you might get it or might not. It's not for everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xED6jYxWaGg
No, I don't get it Sorry. Nice try, they look like nice people. But the boat still looks like it could make me claustrophobic in the middle of the ocean.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
If you don't get it, then it's going to be impossible to explain it to you. Why should anyone bother trying to explain it to you if you're never going to understand? You've singled out the one person who agreed with you rather than those who have tried to explain it to you. It's clear that you really aren't interested in understanding.
I am sorry it came across that way: I felt no one explained, all I read was: if you like it, you do - if you don't, there is no point in explaining. I do not want to be convinced, I want to understand what others like about it. Does not mean that I would like it too, it's just that now I do not get it at all. So I took the signature as an intro to a question. I am not implying that liking yachts is wrong nor am I trying to mock the yacht-lovers.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
May I repeat myself?

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/luxyacht.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Python
Interviewer: Good evening. I have with me in the studio tonight one of the country's leading skin specialists - Raymond Luxury Yacht.
Raymond: That's not my name.
Interviewer: I'm sorry - Raymond Luxury Yach-t.
Raymond: No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yach-t, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
As to why some people enjoy yachting, literally: you do or you don't. There is no explain.

Last edited by gnoitall; 02-06-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
There's an old saying: If you can float it, fuck it, or fly it, don't buy it. You're better off renting.
Here and there there are yacht clubs with shared equipment you can use as long as you pay your dues, chip in on the actual maintenance and so forth. They are not going to let you borrow a yacht yourself before you have at least demonstrated competence sailing a dinghy, though, but you can ask a more experienced sailor to show you the ropes; how else will you learn?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Another way of thinking the same thing is not to tie up large amounts of money in depreciating assets.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:22 PM

The mega-yacht Ecstasea recently had problems getting through the St Martin drawbridge, going from the Caribbean into Simpson Bay. She technically could fit, but the crew accidentally left a port open. There was a guy in the bridge-keeper's booth. His booth was destroyed, but he was not injured.

Video was shot from the St Martin Yacht Club, where we often breakfast and watch the boat traffic.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Louis CK own(ed) a meridian 341, which looks like it has about as much interior room as a 20' camper.

https://assets.dnainfo.com/generated...extralarge.jpg

https://images.yachtcloser.com/66610...GE-980x652.jpg

I have no idea about the price, I'd guess half a million to a million for a new one. No idea.

I'm guessing it is a form of conspicuous consumption. A way to show you have money to burn.

I don't consider that a "yacht". That looks like a typical cabin cruiser I'd see in pretty much any marina. A casual Google produces a price of around $90,000 to $250,000 (used presumably). A real "yacht" IMHO is a crewed boat with multiple decks and outfitted with all sorts of luxury. www.yachtworld.com, not www.boattrader.com.

Last edited by msmith537; 02-06-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
So, this is my question: what are yachts good for?
Getting into international waters where anything goes!
Old 02-06-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I am sorry it came across that way: I felt no one explained, all I read was: if you like it, you do - if you don't, there is no point in explaining. I do not want to be convinced, I want to understand what others like about it. Does not mean that I would like it too, it's just that now I do not get it at all. So I took the signature as an intro to a question. I am not implying that liking yachts is wrong nor am I trying to mock the yacht-lovers.
It's just you, and the sea, and the stars, and the absoluteness. And then the wind starts to pick up...

Last edited by DPRK; 02-06-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

We owned a cabin cruiser (as they called it) when I was a kid. It was an Egg Harbor 30 (the boat here was about the same vintage. It was owned by my father and grandfather. My grandfather went out fishing on weekends, or just cruising around Southold Bay. The family would take trips across LI Sound to Connecticut; we'd dock at Old Saybrook (at the Terra Marr marina, which had a pool) or Essex Island or even Hamburg Cove (where you anchored and stayed on the boat).

There were two bunks, so the cabin slept four. Since there were five of us, I usually slept on a cot that was placed over the engines. It had a head (toilet for you landlubbers), which flushed right into the water so eventually it was illegal to use. Also a sink. We had some way of cooking, but I don't recall the setup and the picture doesn't show a stove (it does show the illegal head, though).

We enjoyed it a lot, but eventually got rid of it, since my father preferred a sailboat. He ended up getting a Pearson 26. So we often went out for a sail on it. We were able to keep boats at a dock in front of our house.

We also had a Sunfish, which I would sail in.

We lived in eastern LI, and there were plenty of bays for sailing, far enough away from the ocean so you didn't have problems with big waves. Most of our usage was going out in the bay and just enjoying the sun and sailing around.

So we got a reasonable amount of use out of the boats. We were reasonably well off, of course, but nowhere near the top 20%.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
[...]We also had a Sunfish, which I would sail in.[...]
OK, that looks nice. Like a small motorcycle, I think I can understand that: fast, for short excursions. But it is not what I would call a yacht. Though I reckon the horizontal bar would knock me unconscious at every turn.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Another way of thinking the same thing is not to tie up large amounts of money in depreciating assets.
Indeed. And with the (now not PC) advice not to get married, but to hire prostitutes.

And in addition to boats being money pits as we have discussed in other threads, you get a "sunk cost" feeling that because you spent all of that money on a boat which is sitting at a dock in the nearby lake, even if you wanted to travel to the beach, the city, fly across the country, go to Europe, etc. you have the urge not to "waste" your boat by going to the lake instead.....where you use your boat, it breaks down, and you spend your weekend investing more time and money into getting it fixed.

If you like boats, rent one when you want one.

Last edited by UltraVires; 02-06-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You don't have to have lots of cash to spend time on a yacht, just so you can bake good banana bread.
I've heard of people who don't have money but like boating (particularly sailing), so they'll hang out at the marina and try to get work on other people's boats. I'll bet that when the owners aren't using their yachts, the crews have a nice time with the onboard amenities. Within reason, of course.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Indeed. And with the (now not PC) advice not to get married, but to hire prostitutes.
You know sex is free, right? That's not why people get married. (Or hire prostitutes- note all the married johns). In fact getting married can get you tax breaks and other discounts.

Quote:
Though I reckon the horizontal bar would knock me unconscious at every turn.
Why they call it a boom...
Old 02-06-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Smuggling drugs.