Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
I visited Costco ...
They had canned tomato products - I got a gallon of tomato sauce to go with the gallon of whole tomatoes from the grocery store. Now what to do with them!!!
You were in Costco and didn't grab the giant bottles of vodka to mix with your tomato products? Add enough vodka to liquify the tomato sauce in the blender.
The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly flat dishwatery utterances of a man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States. --Chicago Times review of the Gettysburg address
Old 03-25-2020, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
You were in Costco and didn't grab the giant bottles of vodka to mix with your tomato products? Add enough vodka to liquify the tomato sauce in the blender.
LOL!! Nope - in my state, vodka is only sold at state-run ABC stores
Old 03-25-2020, 03:22 AM

Here in Hawaii, it's panic buying still. The islands get about 95% of products by sea in containers. Some jerk a couple of weeks ago started a rumor of port closures. Quickly debunked but not until hoarding fever infected the populace.

Folks gang up at the stores the day after the container ships unload. I just drive by with the lines around the Costco store. Ironically, will all the business and tourist closures, gas lines are non-existent.

I do monitor the household TP levels. We (two of us plus daughter and granddaughter here from Korea) are 13 full rolls beside what's on the dispensers. Still far from DEFCON 1.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
T...my first thought is that once the panic buying settles down a bit ,normal restocking processes should begin to keep up with more normal demand. Right?
Sure.
Assuming that there is a normal SUPPLY of the goods.

Of course, the panic buying started because people had reason to believe (right or wrong) that this supply was about to be disrupted.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
Not only was he an idiot, he smelled bad, too. Alas, surgical masks donít filter out foul smells, either.

Old doctor trick, after laundering repackage your mask in a small bag with a drop of eucalyptus [or whatever] essential oil. Beats the irritation of constant vicks under the nostrils. my moms doctor back in the 50s liked lavendar oil, apparently. the doc that I took gross anatomy from mentioned it when some of my fellow students complained about the smell of the autopsy room.

think upon it sort of like hte old plague doctor and the cone filled with herbs =)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:04 AM

I was at the supermarket a couple of days ago, and despite the fact that the country has been on lockdown, it seems to be fairly well stocked. There's plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, albeit of a brand I've never seen before; I'm curious to hear the story behind that. There are some weird gaps on the shelves - plenty of regular all-purpose flour, but absolutely none of the "fancy" flours (bread flower, pizza flour etc.). I wonder why that is.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Aha - here's the basic 5 minutes a day recipe.
If yeast is scarce, this recipe is good:

https://www.markbittman.com/recipes-1/no-knead-bread
Old 03-25-2020, 10:28 AM

Local supermarket is very low on paper goods, low on eggs and a little low on chicken. Generally well stocked now including kitty litter after being low stocked in a lot of areas last Friday.

We got yeast yesterday, a tough one last week. I think things are improving in the Supermarket supply chain as hoarders have done most of their hoarding and panic buyers feel they're in better shape now.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I am hopeful that things *may* be improving, based on Peapod item availability.

We had a delivery last Saturday and at a LOT of items on our order were unavailable. I just rechecked.... and 37 things did not arrive.

I had immediately started a new order: next slot was for 2 weeks away. As I looked for items, they were showing as "out of stock" - including things we had gotten this past time around.

But just this evening, I looked and several "out of stock" things were suddenly available for ordering again - boneless chicken, chocolate chips, pork tenderloins, green peppers, etc. On the other hand, some things I'd added before now show as out of stock - but the newly-available does seem to outweigh the newly-unavailable.

Of course it's still up in the air as to whether we get everything we order, but this gives me some hope that things are normalizing.

Grocery delivery services are swamped, no surprise. I think we may have to play the game of checking a minute after midnight (or whatever time they typically open up a new day's worth of slots) to nab one. For "fun" I looked at reserving spots with InstaCart (Costco) and Safeway and could not get a spot for either.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 PM

I just got a successful Instacart delivery today (northern California), with a two-day lead time on placing the order. Only one item out of stock (a specific salad mix), but a quite acceptable substitute was available. If I wanted to place another Instacart order right now, I could get a slot within two hours (which is a lot more normal for them) at FoodsCo. Smart & Final has a two-day lead time, no slots available at Costco as of when I type. Walmart delivery is also seriously backed up, no available slots for tomorrow (they don't show further out than that).
Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Costco by me was predictably stripped bare of any and all absorbent paper products yesterday. No paper towels, TP, or napkins. Seemed to have a normal amount of diapers, so at least babies are probably being taken care of with appropriate quantities at home. Guessing the nature of babies to grow and cycle through the sizes helps fend off hoarding.

Plenty of laundry and dishwasher detergents, but boneless chicken breasts were gone. Not a huge supply of bone-in thighs or whole chickens. They were rolling in a full pallet of eggs when I was there and there seemed to be a good amount of milk. I don’t buy milk at Costco, so I don’t know what “normal” looks like for that.

No visible shortages in the liquor section, so I grabbed a big bottle of Makers Mark.

Overall, it all seemed fairly normal, and the checkouts ran nice and fast.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:59 PM

Usually I depend on peapod for heavy items but they only open up delivery slots for 2 weeks at a time and they are always booked. I needed eggs so went shopping at 5 AM assuming it would not be crowded. Still no paper products but plenty of eggs. I picked up some Diet Coke but probably should have bought more.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Local grocer says the wholesale price of eggs has gone up, so don't accuse the stores of gouging for that reason. He also says flour & rice is in short supply, and Ramen is impossible for him to get. TP, he's got plenty!
Old 03-31-2020, 11:30 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I went to my local grocery store last night. The paper products aisle was close to empty, other than a few boxes of Kleenex; the other category that I noted was close to bare was canned soup (and canned veggies and tuna were a bit on the thin side).

But, most of the aisles had a lot better availability. Things like fresh meat, lunch meat, cheese, milk, bread, and eggs, which were nearly gone the last time I'd been to the store, a week and a half ago, were close to normal.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:25 AM

Just been checking peapod for delivery slots every 10 minutes starting at midnight. Delivery times for Tuesday 4/15 went from not showing up to all but the 3:30-10pm slot booked between checks. I think I will just have to order things that can sit out if needed.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Just been checking peapod for delivery slots every 10 minutes starting at midnight. Delivery times for Tuesday 4/15 went from not showing up to all but the 3:30-10pm slot booked between checks. I think I will just have to order things that can sit out if needed.
Yeah, the one slot I could get was the 6:30 to 10 AM slot. I'll have to make sure to move one of our cars out to the driveway the night before, and get up bright and early to open the garage door (easier for them to drop stuff in the garage, since they can wheel their cart right up there, versus walking further, to the front door, and having to go up several steps).

Canned soup: I wasn't seeking much, but I thought it'd be good to have some cream of chicken soup to help in casserole-making. They had a bunch of varieties - all out of stock except for the low-fat version.

We get our first CSA delivery this Friday; that should be interesting.

It is funny thinking about my mental image of "enough in the house" changing. For example we have a bin for rice. It probably has about 5 pounds in it right now. We don't eat rice all that often. But WE NEED MORE (that's the panic buying kicking in). With 4 adults in the house, we have enough in the fridge alone for 5 dinners, and enough for at least 12 dinners in the freezer that requires no preparation, let alone the raw ingredient type of stuff. But I still feel compelled to stock up more.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 04-01-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Amazon Prime Pantry has more stuff available, though I think there's some price gouging going on. A 20 pound of basmati rice was going for 60 bucks or so (which I think is high, though I've never bought that much). And a **one pound bag** of Carolina Rice was listed at 14.99. For one pound. That listing actually also said 31 cents an ounce, which would be about 4.99 a pound, so I reported the listing.

Other sellers still have little in stock: Bob's Red Mill is out of pretty much everything. Ditto North Bay Trading.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:09 PM

You are so much nicer than me. I specifically told Peapod to carry the groceries up a flight of stairs to the front door (on the second level of a 3 level townhouse) so I won't have to. Then again, I tip very well.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Things are definitely easing up somewhat, though this last delivery there were quite a few substitutions and some no-shows (we did not get the pork shoulder we ordered, nor did we get it the week before). Our local grocery delivery service limits you to 2 units of a specific meat type.

Some odd out-of-stock items (hint: Giant mint chocolate chip ice cream is NOT as good as Breyer's). And I've been trying to get their "crunchy granola style raisin bran" - store or Kellogg's - for weeks. We got all the produce we wanted this time around, at least.

No yeast available - if I look at the "pick up at the store" version they don't admit it even exists. The "deliverY" version says it exists but they don't have any.

We've had fairly good luck getting legumes, surprisingly; we got a boxful from nuts.com and another from North Bay Trading.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 PM

If you have some yeast, you can make it go farther by using less in your recipe, but letting it rise longer and/or at a warmer temperature.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
No yeast available - if I look at the "pick up at the store" version they don't admit it even exists. The "deliverY" version says it exists but they don't have any.
Baking items (flour, sugar, and yeast) have been among the last items to rebound at my local grocery store, and we're now like 10 weeks removed from when Illinois first instituted its stay-at-home order, which precipitated the runs on the grocery stores. When I was there last weekend, they had a limited supply of flour and bagged sugar (for the first time since March), but I didn't think to look at yeast.

About the only other categories which are still that noticeably missing are hand sanitizer and wipes (still completely out of stock); even toilet paper and paper towels are back to about 50% of normal.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 05-27-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:35 PM

Pork processing plants in the Midwest are closed, chicken processors in the South are closed, both because of worker illness. Beef prices are horrendous.

Meat packers in Southern California are closed, including Farmer John. Again, worker illness.

I managed to score a fifty-pound sack of bread flour about a month ago. My new bread machine and all that flour are making the family happy! My daughter bought a twenty-five pound bag of pinto beans from CostCo several weeks ago. Push comes to shove, we could live for quite a while on beans and bread.

~VOW
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Seems that everything we usually buy is now available in our (regional) supermarket here in Aus. Prices for fresh fruit an veg are still disgusting at the supermarket though, so we frequent the numerous roadside vendors who have stuff at least half the price!

Finally ran out of the dunny paper that was purchased in early March. Which I think is pretty darned good between two kid-butts and myself sharing the bathroom!
Old 05-28-2020, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

The last time we went shopping everything on our list was available, which hasn't always been the case. The weekly ad has been getting bigger, and they have re-instituted Friday discount day. On-line coupons have improved also. 6 weeks ago 50% of them were for booze.

I'm going to Costco tomorrow, we'll see how they are doing.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 PM

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that finally explained why you still can't find counter wipes for love or money. They spoke to someone at Clorox who said that as of late April they have managed to increase production by 40% which sounds like a lot but the article starts off saying demand has increased by 500% since February.

I don't know if I believe I can get my hands on some this year...maybe if the idea that surface contamination isn't really a concern gains a lot more traction.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM

Finally snagged chocolate chips. Not the most critical item, but there was a period of about 6 weeks that there were no chocolate chips at home or in the store.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I was at the supermarket a couple of days ago, and despite the fact that the country has been on lockdown, it seems to be fairly well stocked. There's plenty of toilet paper and paper towels, albeit of a brand I've never seen before; I'm curious to hear the story behind that.
I've experienced the same thing: TP is available, but the brands are unfamiliar and varied. There was a post in the "Went to Costco, it was a bit scary" thread* that may explain it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I deliberately go to the grocery store late at night to see how well they're stocked. The TP aisle was completely stocked. had an interesting conversation with the person stocking shelves. He said the buyers didn't place orders like they normally did for TP. they got what the distributors had available in the pipeline.
*FWIW, doesn't sound like Costco (or anywhere) is nearly as scary anymore as it was a month or two ago.
Old Today, 12:06 PM

Baking Powder: I use it a lot, I noticed my local shop had run out of Bob's baking powder ages ago. I figured everyone was home baking up a storm, or perhaps disrupted supply chain. As I was running out, I found some on ebay (at double the usual price and with a 2022 expiry date), bought it, tried it out 3 different times and nothing I baked rose... Got a refund from seller. So I remembered I had some Cream of Tartar I had purchased a while ago and mixed 2 to 1 with baking powder worked a charm. So now I'm off buying baking powder forever and will use my homemade mix. Seems purer than the baking powders which add extra ingredients.
Old Today, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Based on the rise in infection across the USA as a whole I'd wager that the food shortages will be slight through end of August.

When the second wave of COVID-19 begins to accelerate through September, it's going to be, well, I don't know if we are allowed to curse in this forum, so I'll just say it's going to be rather severe.

By mid-October the disruption to the supply chain for food and other materials will be rising. By November 1 things will make April 2020 seem like a walk in the damned park.