Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 PM

I am a driving enthusiast. Will I be breaking the law during any lockdown?

"Hi, do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Not sure, officer. I was doing the speed limit."

"Well, as you may know, the entire state is in lockdown mode. You are not allowed to drive except for essentials."

"I am a driving enthusiast, and am not going to another human habitation or establishment to meet anyone, am just going to drive around for about an hour, and return home."

"I am afraid that you are under arrest. Please exit the car slowly..."

So, even if I am not going to be near another human being, they can still fine/arrest/detain me? In which circumstances would such a law be enforceable? And is it worth it for me to be constantly pulled over by the cops for the simple crime of going out and enjoying the spring?
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 PM

For any activity that means being around people or being out of your house, the question is: will you die if you do not do X? If not, then don't do X.

It's a very simple metric; not sure why so many people have trouble with it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-23-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Every place that has a lockdown in place still allows you to out and do as you please as long as you practice distancing.
You are also allowed to go out to obtain anything essential such as food or medical assistance/medicine, etc.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:33 PM

I would think that you would and should be subject to arrest or fine.

Why?

Because let's say you get into an accident while driving around. A serious accident that requires you to be hospitalized. Now you're occupying a precious bed and possibly a ventilator. And because the hospital is overrun with COVID-19 patients, you're probably going to be infected. All because you just had to go out for a drive.

I like riding around on my electric scooter, and during these stir crazy times, my scooter has been the balm of Gilead. But I know I'm taking a ginormous risk whenever I get on that thing. When my governor locks my state down, it's going to be hard for me. But I'm going to comply.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
For any activity that means being around people or being out of your house, the question is: will you die if you do not do X? If not, then don't do X.

But no lockdown order in the United States that I know of prohibits going out for a walk or something if you keep distance (notwithstanding if they should).

I think the OP was looking for a legal answer, not a medical/moral one.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:53 PM

It's going to depend on the terms of the lockdown law in your jurisdiction.

In some places - e.g. Italy, France - you can only leave your home for stated reasons - to buy food, to get medicine or medical care, to go to work if you are in an essential occupation, etc, In France, I think, you can leave your home for exercise purposes, but only if you exercise alone, observe proper social distancing and don't travel more than 500m from your home. so you can run around the block as many times as you like.

Under such a regime "driving around to enjoy the spring" is unlikely to be a permitted reason for an excursion. So, yeah, you would be penalised. Might be a warning the first time; thereafter a ticket. Arrest and imprisonment is very unlikely.

The fact that your particular reason for your excursion is unlikely to pose a threat of transmission is irrelevant. Part of the point of a lockdown is to preclude unnecessary excursions from being undertaken, which makes it easier to monitor and enforce the necessity of the excursions that are being undertaken.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:50 PM

Maybe you could volunteer to go around and pick up groceries for people who really should not go out into the world? That would be helpful, and you'd get to drive.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Every place that has a lockdown in place still allows you to out and do as you please as long as you practice distancing.
You are also allowed to go out to obtain anything essential such as food or medical assistance/medicine, etc.
Our new Washington State lockdown is exactly this. Joyriding isn't prohibited unless you're doing it with a crowd.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
"I am afraid that you are under arrest. Please exit the car slowly..."
Seems to me that throwing someone into a holding cell for driving alone would be the opposite of promoting social distancing, so I don't see that scenario happening.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Seems to me that throwing someone into a holding cell for driving alone would be the opposite of promoting social distancing, so I don't see that scenario happening.
This. In general making lockdown violation an arrestable offence would be counterproductive. I'm thinking a ticket, a later court appearance and, if convicted, a heavy fine or, for particularly egregious offenders, a custodial sentence after the trial is a much more likely enforcement regime.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I have to question how often law enforcement would actually be pulling over vehicles.

It seems to me that there will be enough people on the road for the allowed reasons that stopping all of them for questioning would be an unnecessary drain on law enforcement time and resources.

Also, it would expose police to more individuals, increasing the officer's chances of getting sick and also of passing it on to other drivers. I think they're counting on voluntary compliance.

However, if enough people like the OP decide that they're a special exception, then the increased traffic may give others the idea that they can run unnecessary errands and pretty soon voluntary compliance goes out the window.

OP, in all respect, you aren't some special exception that can decide on your own rules. We all need to cooperate as much as possible. We're all going stir crazy but it's something that we'll have to deal with for now.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM

You are also risking first responders lives at a time when resources are strained. In my fire department we had some members down due to a precautionary quarantine, And routine calls are getting very complicated requiring full SCBA in any situation that deals with any member of the public, this greatly increases the turnaround time as gear would have to be cared for and air tanks refilled per call. Additionally we are only sending one person per truck (the driver), and everyone else follows in their cars. This complicates the risk, situation and strain on limited equipment.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I would think that you would and should be subject to arrest or fine.

Why?

Because let's say you get into an accident while driving around. A serious accident that requires you to be hospitalized. Now you're occupying a precious bed and possibly a ventilator. And because the hospital is overrun with COVID-19 patients, you're probably going to be infected. All because you just had to go out for a drive.

I like riding around on my electric scooter, and during these stir crazy times, my scooter has been the balm of Gilead. But I know I'm taking a ginormous risk whenever I get on that thing. When my governor locks my state down, it's going to be hard for me. But I'm going to comply.
Well, let's say he doesn't get into an accident. Then there is no need to be hospitalized or taking up a bed.

That's the problem with folks playing the "what if this" or "what if that" game.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 AM

I can tell you in Washington State, a fair number of people are boating around for pleasure. Seems (practically) harmless to me.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuse View Post
Well, let's say he doesn't get into an accident. Then there is no need to be hospitalized or taking up a bed.

That's the problem with folks playing the "what if this" or "what if that" game.
"What if this" and "what if that" is why we're having fucking lockdowns in the first place. I could hold a neighborhood BBQ in my backyard right now with no one contracting or spreading any virus. But "What if this" and "What if that" is keeping me from doing something so foolish.

If everyone goes out for joy rides, then everyone will be unneccessarily flirting with risk. And we can't afford any more risk right now.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuse View Post

But the whole point of a lockdown is to reduce the risk as far as is humanly possible. The entire thing as a big 'what if'.

Last edited by SanVito; 03-24-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Monstro beat me to it.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 AM

But the US is not in an actual lockdown (even though that term is being thrown around). There are restrictions on particular types of activities. The OP is asking if his particular activity is prohibited.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:23 PM

In CA, I'm a single guy, and I'll make quick trips to the grocery store. There's plenty of people sitting in their cars before and after they shop, on the phone reading or texting. Many do this just because they're out of the house already. Others park near a local park and stay in their cars. Getting some scenery without being surrounded by walls. I don't see a problem with any of this.

But a long joyride may be a problem. I worry, what if something happens to my car? Who's gonna tow it? To where? And there's assholes who pass everybody on surface streets by making their own lane, begging for an accident. These are things I see that aren't "what ifs" so I'd avoid the longer drives.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:54 PM

No place in the US is on "lockdown" but many are under stay-home or shelter-in-place orders. The Illinois order here, which is very similar to the others, provides in relevant part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Governor of Illinois
All travel, including, but not limited to, travel by automobile, motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, train, plane, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined herein, is prohibited.
Quote:
To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements, as defined below, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, running, or biking. Individuals may go to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas. However, playgrounds may increase spread of COVID-19, and therefore shall be closed.
In other words, I can walk by my home, and I can ride a train to reach my necessary job, but I can't ride the train downtown just to walk around there, even if people who live downtown can walk around there.

You could argue that driving is an outdoor activity that clearly complies with social distancing requirements, but IMHO the reasonable interpretation of the outdoor activity allowance is physical outdoor activity, a.k.a. exercise, which driving is not.

As a practical matter, living in the suburbs of Chicago under a stay-home order, there is plenty of road traffic, enough that the police would be unlikely to stop anyone just to enforce the stay-home order. I haven't seen any checkpoints while out walking, going for groceries, or going for takeout meals, and I haven't seen any local media reports of checkpoints.

As others have said, there are plenty of permitted reasons to drive. I'm not aware of any requirement to order takeout from only nearby restaurants.

Disclaimer: I'm an attorney but I am definitely not the attorney of the OP or anyone else on SDMB.

Last edited by John Bredin; 03-24-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:54 PM

I keep seeing posters referring to a “lockdown.” In no way is the official Stay at Home order of several states a lockdown.

You can go outside, go biking, walking, exercise, do yard work, go to the hardware store, grocery store, go boating, go fishing, hiking, you can do practically everything other than be in groups of people. Avoid other people and you will be in compliance. Service businesses whose primary job involved interaction with people are closed, other businesses are open. Go get your tires rotated if you want. Tire stores are open, Home Depot is open, garden centers are open.

No police agency will be stopping drivers to check if they are allowed out. Groups of people will be warned to disperse, failure to follow this instruction could result in a Class C misdemeanor. Could. I doubt if anyone, anywhere will actually be cited.

The state of Oregon issued their stay at home order only after way too many people flooded the coastal communities last weekend because the weather was really nice, beaches and parks where packed, so now the public areas are closed.

Stay away from other people and you can do what you want.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM

Literally, as I opened this thread, I was sending my 16 year old out to drive his car around the neighborhood a few times. It hasn't been driven for a week and a half and I'm worried the battery is going to die. We are not under shelter in place orders, though, at this time. It seems to me that it might be a good idea to keep the cars in working order if we need to get somewhere essential.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:40 PM

The info I saw in the Oregonian this morning seemed to suggest that joyrides were out. However, I'd look at the governor's actual order for guidance, not a news agency's interpretation of it.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Even in the event that cops were going to start pulling over anyone they saw driving on the road, here's how that interaction would most likely carry out;

"Can I ask you where you're going?"
"To the store."
"Alright. Drive safe!"
Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
No place in the US is on "lockdown" but many are under stay-home or shelter-in-place orders. The Illinois order here, which is very similar to the others, provides in relevant part:

Quote:
All travel, including, but not limited to, travel by automobile, motorcycle, scooter, bicycle, train, plane, or public transit, except Essential Travel and Essential Activities as defined herein, is prohibited.
Exactly this provision also appears in the order by six of the nine San Francisco Bay Area counties (plus Santa Cruz County). I'm not so sure if the statewide order by Governor Newsom has this same language. So in the Bay Area at least, joyriding is out.

Outdoor recreational activities are allowed (walking, biking, etc.) and apparently allowed in public areas and defined as "Essential Activity". So, by the above terms, travel to and from such places must also be permitted.

As everybody has noticed, of course, it's difficult to enforce literally, and probably will not be enforced in any heavy-handed way in most cases.

Pro-tip: Whenever you go out, always have a written (and plausible looking) shopping list in your pocket. If you get stopped and asked to show your papers, wave that.

If you just like to go out joyriding (and I am one such), you probably like to drive longish distances cross-country (meaning, beyond your own local area). If you get stopped someplace away from your local area, that might be a problem.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:40 PM

The S. F. Bay Area order also has language regarding travel into the region from outside and travel from the region to outside. I don't have the text in front of me now, but it's something along these lines:

You can travel into or out of the region to get back home. All other travel into or out of the region is limited or discouraged in some way (as I said, I don't have the text right in front of me).
Old 03-24-2020, 06:49 PM

I'd suggest not doing it if it's not something essential.

I'm staying inside. I enjoy going outside, but I can't really do it right now (because of pre-existing medical conditions) and I understand that I could be a risk to myself and others.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

We just sent about 60 engineers to two other states, driving, since they can't fly. That's not permitted. I wonder how that argument would have gone, since helping 3M isn't on the permitted uses list.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 PM

In practical terms it is important to drive vehicles up to normal operating temperature at least every couple weeks. So yeah just drive within the traffic laws and if you get pulled over, say you're going to get food.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
But no lockdown order in the United States that I know of prohibits going out for a walk or something if you keep distance (notwithstanding if they should).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I keep seeing posters referring to a “lockdown.” In no way is the official Stay at Home order of several states a lockdown.

You can go outside, go biking...
Not in Chicago...according to Mayor Lightfoot

Quote:
She told the city that spending long periods of time outside at parks or on runs is not permitted.

“You cannot go on long bike rides."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-outbreak

Last edited by Omar Little; 03-26-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar
...since helping 3M isn't on the permitted uses list.
I’d like to think saying “We’re working with 3M to make N95 masks” would elicit a “Bless you! Drive safely!” assuming that’s what the engineers are actually doing.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Not in Chicago...according to Mayor Lightfoot
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...virus-outbreak
Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, that article manages to omit the crucial context. The Lakefront Trail and the 606 Trail, two busy multi-use off-street trails that can be like expressways of joggers, walkers, strollers, and bicyclists on a summer Saturday, had nearly summer-Saturday crowds yesterday because the weather was pleasant. Considering that pedestrians and cyclists routinely pass within a foot of each other on the Lakefront Trail on a busy day, inherently nobody was practicing proper social distancing.

But except for the single mention of the lakefront in quoting the mayor, the Washington unExaminer (the unexamined news is not worth reading) managed to omit all of that from the text of the article. I'm sure that the linked CBS2 article explains the context, but IMHO not having even a sentence in the article itself mentioning the huge crowds along the lakefront and 606 Trail yesterday was the WE "journalists" skewing the story to their own ends.

Last edited by John Bredin; 03-26-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM

Long drives with no pit stops? I'm used to flushing toilets so it changes things, but yeah, love to drive. HOld it or make accomdations, either way plan ahead.

Last edited by chela; 03-26-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
"What if this" and "what if that" is why we're having fucking lockdowns in the first place. I could hold a neighborhood BBQ in my backyard right now with no one contracting or spreading any virus. But "What if this" and "What if that" is keeping me from doing something so foolish.
More accidents happen at home than anywhere else
Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident
More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units
Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home
Over 76,000 children under the age of 14 are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age
Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age

Quote:
And we can't afford any more risk right now.
I agree. So get away from accident prone areas and do some good. find a restaurant that's off the beaten path and spread the wealth. Now's the time to tip your favorite server as if their financial well being is at stake.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
So get away from accident prone areas and do some good. find a restaurant that's off the beaten path and spread the wealth. Now's the time to tip your favorite server as if their financial well being is at stake.
Your state (Ohio) still has sit-down eateries with servers?

I've not had away-from-home food since before the closure orders here and all those I notice online provide only delivery (but not to our ruggedly remote site) or take-out. One is offering free "community meal" take-outs on Saturday. They'll accept donations.

The stay-at-home order from my county health officer (pdf) specifies "CESSATION OF ALL NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL" and "Failure to comply with any of the provisions of the Order constitutes an imminent thread to public health." That sounds like joyriding is verboten so don't go cruising the main.

Why might a cop suspect joyriding? What are the telltales?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Your state (Ohio) still has sit-down eateries with servers?
Heck no, but we still have carryout. some of the servers are retained to help with that. Didn't make that clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
Why might a cop suspect joyriding? What are the telltales?
In my state we have the county listed on the license plate. So If I wander over to another county they can tell right away.

I might have to make a run with my motorcycle. It has carburetors and needs to be run or it gets all gummed up. That or I'll have to drain the carbs. Probably end up doing that although I can hear other bikes on the road.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM

If any common sense prevails, the police are not likely to be clogging the courts with trivial cases. Expect a warning, at worst, unless you are seen as an habitual violator. If in doubt, carry a Rx with you and say you are going to the drug store.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If any common sense prevails, the police are not likely to be clogging the courts with trivial cases. Expect a warning, at worst, unless you are seen as an habitual violator. If in doubt, carry a Rx with you and say you are going to the drug store.
The police in my state put out a big press release announcing that they are not questioning people about their destinations, demanding to see documents, or anything of that nature, and that their emphasis is on education and now punishment.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

I cannot see why simply going for a drive, for fun, would be worthy of a traffic stop by police. Unless one had broken some traffic law of course, or broken a curfew.

Esentials? If you were stopped, what would be wrong with stating that you're going to XYZ Market at such-and-such location, because you heard they were still open, and they've always had the best produce/meat/deli/whatever, and you want to get some?

Driving is fun. I like it myself. But if I leave home all alone, drive somewhere, don't stop for anything, then turn around, and drive home, without breaking any traffic laws, where's the harm?
Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The police in my state put out a big press release announcing that they are not questioning people about their destinations, demanding to see documents, or anything of that nature, and that their emphasis is on education and now punishment.
Missed edit window: That should have read "education and not punishment". I blame the autocorrect on my phone which somehow always manages to pick the wrong its/it's every time I use either word.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:05 AM
Suspended

re: joyriding giveaways

Quote:
In my state we have the county listed on the license plate. So If I wander over to another county they can tell right away.
I've been in low-mobility states like that. Here, many hill folk necessarily run to or from adjacent counties for work or supplies. Some of my small rural county's residents haven't been in California long enough to lose their out-of-state plates. Neighbors' plate frames brag of being bought at dealerships all over the region.

That spiffy sportster speeding along the scenic Sierra Nevada highway? Might be an uphill resident dashing 60+ miles to the nearest pharmacy. Yes, a cop *could* scan a suspicious place to see if it's far afield from its home. But they probably have higher priorities.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:13 AM

Here in New Zealand, we have been at a Level-4 status (basically remain in your property except for limited trips for some local exercise, food shopping, medical reasons or essential workers travel) for 2 days.

Police have been checking some of those driving on the roads and out and about, and have emergency powers to fine or detain those that flout the Level-4 restrictions.

They have already detained one rule-breaker who was caught on consecutive nights driving on an Auckland motorway with no valid justification. However, the driver also did not have the suitable legal right to be driving the vehicle they were caught in, so their detention may have more to do with that.

The expectation is that people will shop and exercise locally, and that extended travel without a valid reason is banned, and the police (with the assistance of the Defense Force if required) will enforce that, and the Government will back up the Police Commissioner who is responsible for that enforcement.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
I cannot see why simply going for a drive, for fun, would be worthy of a traffic stop by police . . .
Because how can they know, without stopping you, that you are simply going for a drive, for fun?

If your lockdown law is of the form "you may leave your house for X, Y and Z reasons, and for no other reason", then enforcement requires both the power to check, and some degree of actual checking, that those who have left their houses have done so for one of the permitted reasons. So the question really comes down to, how important is it to enforce lockdown laws? And if you want to know how likely you are to be stopped and checked, what matters here is not how important you think it is to enforce lockdown laws, but how important the police think it is.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:

I'll just disagree because I think that the panic from one health issue shouldn't compel us to do more unhealthy things in response. There are a lot of activities that won't cause you to die if you don't them but are still very helpful (if not essential) for maintaining basic health and human dignity. And if you don't do them you could develop complications from other illness like severe mental illness among others. Losing sleep, not exercising, not going outside, not eating well = for me probably suicidal depression, anxiety, diabetes, dissociation and who knows what else.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I went to high school in a town that is in 2 states. Right now I live close to the intersection of 3 cities and 2 counties (and a 3rd is around 1/2 a mile over on the main road on the other side of my community). I work (around 52-60 "essential" hours a week) in that 3rd county. My house is in one city, with a postal address for another city, in yet another school district. My primary grocery store is 5.1 miles away, 3 cities over in a different county.

Anyway, if you are out for a drive and it's during the new "regular" business hours, I don't see why you can't just say you need food or whatever.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:46 PM

On the radio this morning they were answering questions about the stay at home order. This might not exactly answer the OP's question, but someone asked "Can I drive to a beach an hour away with my dog? Does that fall under the exception for outdoor activities?" The answer to that was no. You can participate in outdoor activities, but they want you to stay local. No unnecessary traveling to other cities. Applying that to the OP's question, I suppose you could drive around your own neighborhood without breaking the rule, but that's not very fun. It sounds like taking a several hour drive out of town is out.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'd really like to take my Miata on a drive up Highway 193 north of Placerville now that the weather is getting nice (although it looks like rain this weekend anyway). It sounds like that would be technically out of the question for now. Although like others have said, there's really know way for them to know why you're out driving around, but it sounds like they'd prefer you didn't.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I'll just disagree because I think that the panic from one health issue shouldn't compel us to do more unhealthy things in response. There are a lot of activities that won't cause you to die if you don't them but are still very helpful (if not essential) for maintaining basic health and human dignity. And if you don't do them you could develop complications from other illness like severe mental illness among others. Losing sleep, not exercising, not going outside, not eating well = for me probably suicidal depression, anxiety, diabetes, dissociation and who knows what else.
Thanks for your helpful and insightful contribution to the discussion.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Thanks for your helpful and insightful contribution to the discussion.

Moderator Note

Once again, you need to refrain from personal sniping in this forum, and since this is the second time I've had to note you for it recently, I'm making this an instruction. Further posts of this kind may receive a warning.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 03-27-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:

People have trouble with it because it's an absurdly restrictive metric.

I mean, I'm not going to die if I run out of soap and can't bathe properly. By your ridiculous metric, I shouldn't take a trip to the store to get soap. But that's absolutely bonkers, just as any number of other things are- nobody's going to *die* without fresh produce, coffee, tea, etc... but they sure make life a lot more livable. So people are going to go get them at the store.

Similarly, you can't stay entirely cooped up in your house either- you have to go on walks, or even drives just to get a change of scenery. Now I wouldn't advocate going out and driving like you're on the autobahn, but if you went out and drove around for an hour in the city or countryside, that's a reasonable risk. The likelihood of getting in a wreck is even lower than before with fewer drivers, and if it really helps you stay in otherwise, it seems like a reasonable risk to me.

And that's it- reasonable risk
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Long drives with no pit stops? I'm used to flushing toilets so it changes things, but yeah, love to drive. HOld it or make accomdations, either way plan ahead.
We were planning a trip to Big Bend National Park this week. I can't imagine a more "socially distant" place. We can make the entire trip in our RV only filling up once (to return) and have absolutely no contact otherwise. Other than a remote possibility of encountering someone else at a dump station*, we are completely self-contained as to food, water, everything and can do the entire week with no contact at all.

But.. the park closed all the campgrounds. Yay.

*IME, since everyone's draining raw sewage, social distancing is practiced enthusiastically at dump stations even in normal times. Nobody's shaking hands, trust me.

Last edited by pullin; 03-28-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, missed the edit window.

I meant to add that our city's shelter-in-place order includes a list of "Essential Activities" for which residents are allowed to leave home. Third on the list is:
"--To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing requirements of 6 feet (for example, walking, biking, hiking, golfing, or running)."

In addition, the police chief has stated they will not be pulling cars over to check for compliance, only for the normal violations, etc.

I take this to mean I can go for a drive, or wander over to the boat dock and take a jaunt on the local lake (as I have been doing). I take pains to ensure I comply with distancing and the only passengers are household members. I figure if golfing's OK, then fishing probably is too.