Why do dogs lick their balls?

We all know the joke - ‘because they can’. However, it seems like a fairly odd function. Even after I have bathed and cleaned my dog, it still performs this unattractive ritual. What purpose does it serve? Surely it is as unhygenic for dogs it would be for humans to clean themselves in this manner? Have they got a more developed immune system?

Sorry, this is meant to be a GQ. Accidentally posted. Can somebody move it

This sure as Hell is not a debatable question.

bmerton wrote:

Considering the things a dog can get away with eating which would make a human sick – including animal poop – I’d say that they have something in their digestive system that’s protecting them which humans lack.

Because they can’t make a fist.

Thank you. I’ll be here all week.

It’s a grooming thing. They clean their whole body. Dog’s balls are not as filthy as ours. They are hanging out there, not hidden in pants. It’s just another furry area.

Puns omitted.

Ours–or, at least, you all’s–are not exactly filthy either. I mean, it’s not like no people lick people balls–they just don’t lick thier own. A better question would be “WWhy do dogs lick thier own anuses, and sometimes the anuses of other dogs?” I suspect the answer has to do with glands, and phermones. I have no idea why this dosn’t make them sick.

Old joke:

Two guys were sitting on a park bench, watching a dog lick its balls. One of the fellows said wistfully, "Boy, I sure wish I could do that."
The other fellow said, "Well, maybe if you pet him, he'll let you."

:smiley:

[Moderator Hat ON]

Moving to General Questions (sorry, guys).

[Moderator Hat OFF]

“Why do dogs lick their balls?”

1. Because they can. (I mean, really, wouldn’t you if you could?)

2. Because they taste good. (I mean, really, haven’t you ever…oops, sorry.)

Our dog eats cat turds. We have to be extremely anal retentive about the litter boxes, or she’ll nose around in there and eat everything, not to mention trail shit all over the place.

I heard that there’s some enzyme or protein in cat crap that dogs like, or something like that.

Ugh.

And people wonder why I’m a cat person!

(Don’t get me wrong, she’s the greatest dog, I love her to bits, but I’m NOT a dog lover at all).

And after a littler box snack she comes over to lick your face right?:smiley:
Ahem… dogs do have a more acidic stomach than us, so things get dissolved down more when they pass through a dog, but as I’m not sure exactly where and when the bugs that make animals sick get in, I’m not sure if that has much to do with it. Dogs are also sticking their noses into disgusting things every day of their lives, so they must develope some immunities along the line. Certain parts of their bodies may get dirtier or are easier to clean than others. Dogs don’t groom their entire bodies like cats, but they gotta do a little maintenance right?

My spayed female Portie licks her equivalent occasionally. She also regularly humps the female yallow Lab across the street.

Because in dogdom hierarchy, if you ain’t lickin’ your own, you B lickin’ somebody else’s. Jeeez!

Dogs lick their private parts to prevent them from taking over the world. Think about it: they’re faster runners, have nasty biting teeth, a decent pack mentality/ team spirit, and some dogs I’ve met are smarter then some humans, at least.

The scene: The secret dog meeting to take over the world.

Top dog: "And to topple the banks, my brothers, we will have to… Hey, are you listening to me? Stop doing that!! Pay attention, dammit!

Other dogs: (lick, lick, lick).

kdeus

'cause he can’t get his girlfriend to do it for him, the bitch.

Just had to point it out for those who missed it :slight_smile:

It seems to me that dogs are genetically configured to be scavengers, and fresh poop probably still has a fair bit of nutrient value. So they’re just doin’ what comes naturally when they eat it.

As for licking the privates… There could be lots of reasons. For one wild-assed guess, it could be to wet them down for air conditioning purposes - the same reason why the human scrotum moves up and down to maintain temperature.

Or maybe it just feels good.

Jock itch, maybe? I mean, any mammal will occasionally get an itch on any particular body part, and the hind legs can only reach so many places to scratch… And besides, if I had claws, I wouldn’t want them anywhere near my balls.

What the legs can’t scratch is left for the mouth.

LOL

No, actually, my dog doesn’t lick people AT ALL-she’s not a kisser. My CATS, on the other hand, are. Well, Buffy and Misty are. Noel and Gypsy will give kisses when they’re washing their paws, but Buffy is the biggest kisser-she’s always licking my fingers. Misty will get right in your face and lick your nose, and you have to be careful, because her tongue is so rough it hurts-she’s an Angora, so her tongue has to be rougher because of her fur.

sigh

Buffy also likes to chew on my fingers.