Old 07-17-2000, 12:39 AM

It's a small rant. Not worthy of serious profanity.

It's like this. I've always been a Night Owl. Ever since I was a kid. Sure, if I forced myself, I could get up early, but it was always an effort. I have managed to accomodate my late hours by taking night/evening jobs, and scheduling any appointments or classes in the evening as much as possible. Hey - different strokes for different folks. It's MY life, MY schedule. If I want to stay up to 3 to 5 am working on a project, how is it anyone else's business? I don't keep anyone around me up with my hours. (i.e. by playing loud music at 3 in the morning, etc.)

Yet some people keep on asking "When are you going to get more regular hours?" (Never. When are you going to get more late hours?) Or, "You sleep too much" (No, I sleep about 8 hours, or less. If I go to bed at 3 am, I'll get up at 11 am. How is that 'sleeping too much'?") I had one friend who would just call me early anyway. She'd say "Well, I thought you would be up by now." Basically, she implied that since she was up, any "normal" person would be up. Therefore, she'd call and wake me up...because apparently I had no business being asleep at that hour. I have had half a mind to call her at 3 am, and say "Hey - I am up, why are you asleep?"

I have been pretty good about not answering phone calls early, etc. And to be honest, I don't get bothered as much as I used to. But I still detect this underlying attitude that it's not "normal" to sleep late, and that anyone who sleeps late is lazy. Hey - I have a night job. Someone has to have these night jobs, right? When do these annoying morning people think people like me should sleep? And why do they think it's their business to begin with?

Well, there. My small rant. No profanity at all, was there?
Old 07-17-2000, 12:56 AM
BANNED

I completely agree. I used to work as a circulation mgr for the paper. Workday started at 2>3am, done @10AM. People who KNEW my schedule would have no prob calling me at 2PM, even tho that is right in the middle of my sleeptime. "Oh,
you're STILL asleep?". It is about the same as calling someone with a normal schd @ 4AM.
Old 07-17-2000, 01:36 AM

If people calling in the morning is a problem, get an answering machine with volume control, then turn off the ringers on all of your phones and turn the answering machine down to minimum volume when you go to bed. That way, people won't awaken you with phone calls in the morning.

And as for people thinking you're a slob or lazy because you work night shift... fuck 'em. I certainly don't have any problem with anyone sleeping in until all hours of the afternoon - it's something I do when I can get away with it, being a teenager.
Old 07-17-2000, 01:52 AM

I feel your pain.

I've been a night owl for what feels like forever, but there is still an attitude of my being a "freak" or that I'm sleeping too much/not enough. I don't get home from school until 11 pm, and I am usually up to 1 or 2 am doing homework, transcribing notes, and yes, making the occasional stop here. Sleeping to 9 or 10 am is not being lazy or getting too much sleep--that is a normal, 8 hour sleep session.

What gets my goat, though, are these fucking telemarketers that call my house at 7 or 8 in the morning--the ones that are on the East Coast, and calling the West Coast. These sheep-loving, booger-chewing, low-brow, butt-picking, bicycle-seat-sniffing, "I'm such a loser because in this job market I can't find a better job than dialing a phone" assholes have the balls to act indignant when I kindly remind them that they have called at a very inappropriate time and have woken me up--resulting in the fact that I will never buy their product. Thing is, I turn off the ringer to my phone (I don't have an answering machine), so I end up having to block out every call I get, meaning I miss other calls. Anyone else I know that tries to call me at an inappropriate hour, will of course, not reach me either. It's the price they pay to try and call me at 7 in the morning.
Old 07-17-2000, 01:57 AM

Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about. I work third shift and I get home at 7am. People call me at 11am and expect me to be up. (I wouldn't be up at 11am if I went to bed at midnight! I love sleeping!)

The thing that bothers me is that when you explain to people that you work a night job, they seem to think you must be either really broke and need the money or you have more than one job. I just work better at night! Most stores, restaurants, places for entertainment are not open after midnight (around here anyway) so why not work then? That leaves you available to frequent these places whenever you want!

The people in my office who work second shift are always complaining that they can't get to one place or another before they close or that they have to tape all their favorite soap operas and sitcoms since they work when they are on. Yet, these same people are mystified that I actually prefer to work third shift!
Old 07-17-2000, 02:24 AM

I hear you, brother!

I've been working graveyard for about 3 years. I don't like the hours, but the money is too good to give up. I start my workweek on Sunday, which for all intents and purposes, is Saturday night.

Well meaning freinds and family members always invite me to events they have scheduled for noon on Sunday. They seem either annoyed or hurt that I will not attend. They can't seem to get their minds around the fact that I'm lucky if I can stay awake past 10 A.M.

'Oh, why don't you just grab a quick nap and join us?' A little vein on my forehead throbs when I hear this question. Like they would ever, EVER, consider joining me for an event at 3 A.M. on Monday night/Tuesday morning. And the real kicker is they can't see that Sunday noon IS 3 A.M. to me. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-17-2000, 02:31 AM

I disagree in that this topic does merit at least a little profanity...

I worked nights for many years and would often have the phone ringing at 8am. Do it once to me and it was a mistake, do it again and there was no promise I wouldn't tear someone a new asshole. Only my mom could get away with calling and asking why I was still sleeping at 9am.

My ex ran up some bills right after we were separated. When she purposely defaulted on the payments the bill collecters started calling me at 8 am. This would be soon after I had gotten to bed. They kept it up for quite a few days even after I told them my schedule and when they could call. One lady kept calling until I told her I knew her name, where she worked and that she could expect to see me at her own fucking door at six am if she kept this up. The next time she called it was 4pm.

I called my ex too at about 6am, I had left her with a lot of money and she could have paid her bills. I told her that if she didn't get her shit together I was going to come and sieze the items she had purchased. She paid up in a couple of days and I got to sleep.
Old 07-17-2000, 02:54 AM

My my. Obviously the best time to post a topic such as this is in the middle of the night!

I actually work second shift - 3 pm to 11 pm. (I'd love the 11-7 night shift, but those jobs are always full. Night shift is super-easy where I work.) When I get home from work, I cannot get to sleep before 2 am. I need time to wind down - usually I stay up much later than 2. Hey - I like to watch the news, catch up with email, etc., and work on any projects I have going. So I stay up. I also have been known to shop at the 24 hour grocery store on the way home from work. There is a lot you can do after midnight!

Another example of thoughtless morning people: At work I was scheduled to go to a mandatory refresher course. You had to go. It was at 8 am - and was an hour's drive away, which meant I'd have to leave at 7 am. After getting home from work past 11 pm the night before. No chance of anything close to 8 hours sleep there! The class was scheduled to be an all day thing - maybe we'd get out at 3 PM, or later. (We ended up getting out early, but no one had scheduled it that way.) The thing that really pissed me off was that my work still expected me to show up for work that night, and do my usual 3-11 pm shift! I didn't - I called as soon as I saw the schedule and told them that it was going to be one or the other. They didn't gripe about it (they didn't have a leg to stand on - you cannot force someone to work almost 16 hours in one day, after all.) But the idea that they just put it on the schedule and hoped I'd go along with it! Oh my gosh. I don't understand some people! Oh, and the co-worker I drove into this class with was on night shift. Which meant that she had JUST GOT OFF WORK and was still scheduled to show up for this class. (I have a feeling if she had called in and said she couldn't do it, they wouldn't have MADE her, but she went along with it...)

I am guessing that some people just don't think. If they get up at 7 am, the rest of the world should also. I am really amazed at my work, though. They need people to work all shifts. So when they schedule these damned classes, you'd think they'd try to accomodate people from all shifts. But they don't. Screw them.
Old 07-17-2000, 03:35 AM

Yosimite Babe, I work 3rd and know all about that kind of shit.

However, having already ranted about people who call when I'm sleeping, I'll now rant about the people in my life who won't call me at all. "Well, I was afraid to call. I was afraid you'd be sleeping." This, in spite of the fact that I've told all my friends and family that it's okay to call my house between 6 pm and 9 pm. Over and over again. And again. Don't they frickin' listen???? I've missed out on being informed of good new and bad because they won't call me. Geez!
Old 07-17-2000, 05:40 AM
Creature of the Night

My husband works in radar maintenance and repair for the FAA at the DFW airport. Here is his usual schedule:

Sunday and Monday: Off

Tuesday and Wednesday: Swing shift (4 PM to midnight)

Thursday and Friday: Day shift (7 AM to 3 PM) (yes, this means he gets about 5 hours of sleep before his Thursday shift!)

Saturday: Midnight to 8 AM. Again, he gets about five hours sleep before this shift.

I don't know WHO thought this schedule up, but the scheduler has a serious craniorectal inversion problem.
Old 07-17-2000, 05:49 AM

Reminds me of a line from 'Men in Black'. "You'll get used to it....or you'll have a psychotic episode."

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 07-17-2000, 05:50 AM

Heh, try living in house where you're the only 'night owl', while everyone else in the house is an 'early morning' person. Not a fun situation.

I try to sleep and wake up at the "normal" hours (sleep at 10pm, wake up 7am) but everytime I do this, I end up just laying there in bed wide awake for at least 4 hours and waking up feeling nauseous and miserable.

Ooh, almost 4am, it's bedtime for me
Old 07-17-2000, 11:27 AM

LOUIE!!!

That was SO me for my ENTIRE childhood!

I'm lying in bed, thinking it's normal to wait hours and hours to fall asleep, and then I get up at 7, and fall asleep in all my classes.

Nationwide societally-enforced sleep cycles are bullshit. I fall asleep at two and I wake up at ten (if my cat doesn't keep me awake), that's the way it is, I can't change it, I've tried, I'm sorry, that's how it is, end of discussion, period, thank you, NEXT!
Old 07-17-2000, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It's the price they pay to try and call me at 7 in the morning.
I don't care if I'm up at 07:00. They're getting a new asshole. The only execption is My girlfriends mother. She KNOWS I am up, she does not ASSUME I am up.

seven o'clock...Jesus H. Christ!!

I used to be a night owl, then I had to get a 'real' job.

Now I'm a morning person. Who'd 'o figured?

(Yes. I can spel. I'm just too lazy to backspace )
Old 07-17-2000, 12:23 PM

I worked 2nd shift (4pm-12:30am) one summer in high school. My attitude is pretty much like everyone else's - screw anyone who calls me while I'm sleeping. I still get the occasional 9 o'clock Sunday morning call, and really wish I could just give the caller a solid slap in the face.

Incidentally, the 2nd shift consistently had better production and quality numbers.
Old 07-17-2000, 01:03 PM

[wanders through thread, accidentally drops the large tray of pots and pans she was carrying]

Oops, sorry, that's gotta be loud......

Suppose this is why those who work graveyard shift die earlier?
Old 07-17-2000, 10:07 PM

I love the nighttime. I go to work now about 4:30 pm. I usually wake up around 2 or 3. But, like you all, I don't sleep all that much.

I proposed this elsewhere, but it deserves to come back here. I suggest we start a class-action lawsuit against every company that discriminates against night people by glorifying working early. If I ever get to run a company, it's going to be a night person's company:
"Well, it's great that you got here at 6 this morning, but do you think you'll still be alert for our 11 pm meeting?"
Old 07-18-2000, 03:19 AM

Yay, people who understand! I work overnights (10p-8a) and I can't stand it when people call in the middle of the day! Everyone I know has gotten good about waiting until the evening to call, but my roommate's family is another story! They always seem to call around 2 pm when they know she is still at work and that I am sleeping! And don't even get me started on the telemarketers! When will people realize that not everyone chooses to be awake when the sun is up?!
Old 07-18-2000, 09:46 AM

Lynn, your husband's schedule is literally killing him. Chronobiologists have proven that jumping schedules around like that lowers productivity and shortens lifespans.

Y-babe and all, I started explaining to family and friends that my night-personhood was not only a biological difference, it was a cultural one. If they asked why I slept through the best part of the day, I asked why they slept through the best part of the night. I have been able to put off some morning meetings by mumbling vaguely about discrimination and the nifty possibility of class-actions suits.

Morning people assume that they are vituous and we are evil. The reality is that night people sleep less (by need and by necessity), that forcing us to conform to morning people's schedules is physically damaging, and that society is geared toward them.

Fight back! Schedule late meetings, late classes, late everything! When we take over (and we will) mowing your lawn before noon will be a capital offense.

P.S. Fucking morning people!

Bucky
Old 07-18-2000, 02:28 PM

Yes, there is sort of a self-righteousness about morning people.

I think we should feel self-righteous because we can stay up late, dammit! What about that? Why don't we night people sigh and look condescending when some morning person says "Oh, I can't attend that night class, oh, I can't stay up to see that program - I start to droop at 10 pm." Why don't we treat them like they are "lazy" because they can't stay awake past 11? Lazy bastards!

Thanks. I feel better now.
Old 07-18-2000, 02:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Screw you ass-heads. Unless you're working shift work (People working a night shift can ignore this), I'm quite happy calling people at 8 AM on a weekday. Get the hell up.

I don't like getting up early, either. "Waaaahhhh, it's so early, wahhh, you called me at 9." Boo hoo, you pathetic pasty-skinned losers, the bunch of you. I don't like going to work. I don't like having to pay the phone bill. I don't like having to obey traffic signals. Sometimes we have to set aside our infantile desires to make society function on some basic level.

The world's not waiting for you lazy-ass slackers to wake up at the crack of noon before we start conducting the day's business. At 9 AM I want to start getting the things done I want to get done, because I don't want to spend my evenings chasing down shitwits who keep a toddler's hours. Anyone who can't get to a normal working day job at 8:30 should be fired.

You don't like that I called you at 8:45 on a Tuesday morning? Eat me. I'll call again at 8:35 some other morning. I really don't give a badger's ass how nasty you are on the phone.

And this "night owl" stuff is bullshit. "Night owls" are just people who've been staying up late and sleeping in and are used to it. If all the people who CLAIMED to be "night owls" really were, we'd be nocturnal animals. Either you get as much sleep as you need or you don't. It doesn't matter if it's between 11 and 7 or 3 and 11. With a week of effort you can change your damned schedule. Join the rest of Western civilization, for Christ's sake.

(I exclude SHIFT WORK people from this rant. I'd never call someone during the day I knew was working night shifts. Different thing entirely. And you shouldn't call people on the weekend at ALL for any business reason if they aren't working.)

Just figured I'd weigh in with an opposing opinion.
Old 07-18-2000, 03:44 PM

Another owl checking in. I don't fall asleep before 3 or 4AM, regardless of the shift I am working or how little sleep I got the night before. I nearly died when I was working the 8:30AM-5:00PM shift - I barely slept.

Now I am on the 11:30AM-8:00PM shift. I like it alot better. I can stay awake until I naturally fall asleep and still get in a reasonable amount of shut eye. My Mother INSISTS on calling me at 8AM, wondering why I am still asleep. I get the old "shouldn't you get out of bed and do something? You're just sleeping the day away. No one needs that much sleep." Trying to explain that I only went to bed 3 hours ago is fruitless, she just tells me that I should go to sleep "at a more reasonable time." Even other people who work my shift look down their noses at me. They get up at 6AM and get all kinds of stuff done before work. I do the same things they do - just after work. But, in their opinion, I'm not getting as much done - I'm just not as industrious as they are.

My company pulls the same crap on me Yosemitebabe. Whenever there is a company function they have a 7AM breakfast. So the breakfast starts promptly at 7 (don't dare be late) goes til 8 or 8:30 - then I am forced to work OT 8-11:30 then do my full shift until 8PM. Thank God that only happens a few times a year. We suggested that they have a late dinner for a change, but we were told that 8PM is simply too late to expect people to eat dinner. HELLO?? I don't get out of work until 8. Dinner is often not ready until 9 or 9:30. Am I somehow not in your definition of "people"?

Finally, if my Mother complains one more time about how I am never going to get a "better" shift so that I can work at "a more appropriate time" I am going to scream. She does not understand how anyone could like these hours. And I think she nearly passed away when I said that I wish they could be a little later - I would prefer to come in at 12 or 12:30 - that would suit me even better.

I hate morning people.
Old 07-18-2000, 04:41 PM

For me it has nothing to do with work or school or whatever. My body wants to be asleep at 6am-noon, and is at its wide awake best 11pm-4am. Because to this stupid needing a job to pay the bills bullshit I have to work 8-5(There are very few programming/dba jobs that let dont have core hours of 10-2, and the good paying ones are 8-8 usually). When I used to go camping for 2-3 weeks at a time I very quickly fell into sleeping during the day and living at night, so much more enjoyable.
Who decided that people are diurnal anyway? Maybe when we became an agricultural society we worked with the sun to farm and stuff, but if I was a hunter I'd hunt at night. Humans aren't fast enough to catch much, or strong enough to bring it down. Personnaly I'd use my brain and hunt in the middle of the night when the prey is sleeping.

P.S. If you "Normal People" are gonna call the police for me talking on my porch at 4 in the morning, I'm gonna call the police when you mow your damn lawn at 7am
Old 07-18-2000, 05:56 PM

RickJay took his head out of his ass long enough to spew:

Quote:
The world's not waiting for you lazy-ass slackers to wake up at the crack of noon before we start conducting the day's business. At 9 AM I want to start getting the things done I want to get done, because I don't want to spend my evenings chasing down shitwits who keep a toddler's hours. Anyone who can't get to a normal working day job at 8:30 should be fired.
I HAD an 8:30 to 5:00 job - I got PROMOTED to the job with the later (better) hours.

Just because you're some early bird squicking worm felcher doesn't mean that the rest of the world needs to work on your schedule.

I COULD work a "regular" day, except jerks like you think that the world revolves around you. Everything has to be around your schedule. So while you're at home with your family in the evening and on weekends, I'm sitting at work helping out the customer service reps that you are giving a hard time. I don't know why you must call us from home. Doesn't your phone at work make outgoing calls? You expect everyone to call you during "regular business hours". But, then you expect us to be open 24 hours a day to accomodate you.

Wake up. The Earth revolves around the sun - not you.
Old 07-18-2000, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

There are actually other people who feel the same as I do!

I could go on about this forever. I am 17 y/o and I have to conform to the 'proper hours' but it has always been very tought for me. Things got tougher for me when my parents divorced and circumstances changed enough for me to let me slack off which has made it next to impossible for me to sleep normally at any time. I have not slept 'normal hours' for more than a few days at a time for 6 years. As a result of my lovely sleeping pattern I have had tons of trouble with school because I drop if I don't get enough sleep (which for me is more like 10 hours) so generally anything less than 9 does not cut it for me.

Do you know how hard it is to be a 13 y/o dragged in front of the board of school directors? 3 very stern looking people who give you the same feeling that you get when you do something your dad disapproves of.. this being one of them so you have 4 people glaring at you sternly. All you want to do is to please them by getting up and going to school at the right time and you say your going to try but your brought before them again and again till you are almost 16 and they finally give up on you because you cannot get yourself to sleep 'normally'.

It was terrible and only recently, (Like within this year.. since I arrived at these boards) have I discovered there are other people like this. If it were possible to let me do whatever and sleep whenever I felt like it I'm sure I would be perfect so I hope I can find a job that will work for me (whenever I finally manage to graduate). Many a time I've thought I would do so much better on a 38 hour day. When I let myself go completely I've had several times where I went for 28 hours awake then slept for 10 give or take a little.

It has been terrible to live like this being a night person. Very rarely do my cycles change enough for me to work 'normally' on a day pattern. I'm just glad there ARE others who are like me. Otherwise I would think I was crazy.

For the Black Death Click Here
Old 07-18-2000, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RickJay

And this "night owl" stuff is bullshit. "Night owls" are just people who've been staying up late and sleeping in and are used to it. If all the people who CLAIMED to be "night owls" really were, we'd be nocturnal animals. Either you get as much sleep as you need or you don't. It doesn't matter if it's between 11 and 7 or 3 and 11. With a week of effort you can change your damned schedule. Join the rest of Western civilization, for Christ's sake.
Bull-motherfucking-shit right back at you, ass-face!!!! You cannot tell me that I have chosen to not be able to sleep until 2 am! I have been this way for as long as I can remember. When I'm forced to adjust my schedule, it doesn't matter how much sleep I get - I'm monkey-assed tired all fucking day! School is fucking torture! I do NOT "change my damned schedule" within a week! I'm miserable for the whole damned semester.

So up yours with a barbed baseball bat, you self-righteous, arrogant little weasel!
Old 07-18-2000, 09:06 PM

Rickjay, go fuck yourself with a wood rasp. You have no fucking clue. You don't know what it's like to:

1) have your parents mindlessly parrot at you, "Go to bed earlier, you'll be fresher in the morning,"
2) go to bed at 9,
3) lie in the dark for five hours,
4) finally fall asleep at two anyway,
5) have to wake up at 5 regardless,
6) have to function for the whole day on 3 hours of sleep,
7) fall asleep,
8) get in trouble for same, and then
9) repeat EVERY SINGLE MOTHERFUCKING DAY FOR SEMESTERS ON END.

This is not an exaggeration, asswipe. This is what I had to go through from the time I turned 12 to the time I started university.

YOU CANNOT REALIGN YOUR NATURAL SLEEP SCHEDULES BY MORE THAN AN HOUR AND EXPECT TO FUNCTION OPTIMALLY. Walk a fucking mile in my shoes before you come and tell us we're pasty-skinned whiners.

New word: diurnofascist. It means "one of that subset of early birds who traipse through life expecting that everything and everyone naturally obeys their sleep cycle." They're no better than the heterosexuals who think that everybody naturally shares their sexual orientation.
Old 07-18-2000, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Smeghead,
Quote:
...If I ever get to run a company, it's going to be a night person's company: "Well, it's great that you got here at 6 this morning, but do you think you'll still be alert for our 11 pm meeting?"
SHMUCK!!! Don't you start bringing the big bosses onto the night shift!!!

I work these hours because:
  • I get paid better,
    I'm awake anyway,
    I like the people I work with,
    I don't have to get up in the morning and go to work.
I DON'T work these hours to have the big boss's boss call me about what I'm doing!

And Wolfman, FWIW, I have threatened noise complaints against the leaf blower brigade. The cops didn't want to do anything. Fortunately, I was able to convince the guilty party of my sincere interest in resolving the issue.

Good topic, yosemitebabe.
Old 07-19-2000, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yosemitebabe
"You sleep too much" (No, I sleep about 8 hours, or less. If I go to bed at 3 am, I'll get up at 11 am. How is that 'sleeping too much'?")
Yep, I get this all the time from my friends who work "normal" hours. "All you do is sleep". Look idiot - when I am at work in the middle of the night you are asleep . . . so maybe it's you that sleeps all the time. Arg.

I have been doing the overnights in radio for almost three years and truth be told I would like to get off of them, but an opportunity simply has not presented itself. The really fun thing is doing 11PM to 6 AM five days a week, then working 2PM to 7PM on Saturday afternoon. I no longer have a body clock - I have effectively killed that thing off. But you know, gotta pay those bills and all . . . radio station do not close down. (Well at least the real FM ones don't.)

- NM
Old 07-19-2000, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

I forgot to add: I work on the night shift because the night shift WORKS! In every shift job I've worked, the night shifts outperformed the day shifts. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 07-19-2000, 02:01 AM
BANNED

Yeah, I am a night person too.

To all those of you who said there is no such thing:
Look, FUCK you. You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. There are night people and day people. There are people who like spaghetti and those who don't.

Saying that "if there really were night people, then we would all be nocturnal" is like saying "if there really were people who liked spaghetti, then we'd all like spaghetti." You dumbass!
Some people have a predisposition to be more active at night. (My kingdom for a cite!)

And to Rickjay, a very special ass-monkey who wants to exclude shift workers and then at the same time talk shit about them:
You are cordially invited to fellate me. Make sure you cradle my sac as you take it all down, bitch.

I work at night. I had morning joe jobs all my life, and it sucked.
I can identify with all of you who have been crammed into the morning lifestyle all your lives.

Some dipshit said that we are supposed to get up early. If that was so true, why are alarm clocks necessary? If you are naturally supposed to get up then, you wouldn't need something to wake you up, would you? I don't have an alarm clock, I get up about noon everyday, no alarms, no blaring beeps, no loud music, nothing. I feel great.
My girlfriend has her alarm go off at 5:00 am to be at her school by 7:30, and she's a mess. She feel's like shit all the time.
Soon, when she's out of school, she can start working swing shift at the hospital, 3:00 to 11:00, and she will be normal again.
I can hardly wait.

I had to go to school early and it sucked. Now I go to bed at five, get up at noon, get a shitload done before I go in at 4. It rocks.
Soon, though, I am going to have a second job and have to get up at eight.

shit
Old 07-19-2000, 02:42 AM

Thanks to all! This is great. I really had no idea that this topic would take off the way it did. Obviously I hit a nerve.

I have been like so many of you - have always had trouble getting up, always wanted to stay up late. When left to my own devices, that's the way it'll always be. It isn't like I got it into my head that I wasn't going to let myself sleep early. I just tossed and turned until 2-3 am, and woke up feeling like crap.

I wish like anything at times it wasn't that way. I had a job for a few years where I had to get up before 5 am. Utter Hell. I was always tired, never got any of my own projects done when I got home. Just stared at a TV, exhausted. Why would anyone choose to be exhausted and miserable every day? Now that I have this second shift job, I am starting to have a life again. Starting to do things again, starting to feel rested. It's just the way it is for me, and obviously many others.

Matt touched on it before - to assume that all "night owls" really could be day people if they tried harder, is the same as assuming all gay people aren't trying hard enough to be straight. It's the same principle, as far as I'm concerned. Unless you've been in our shoes, you really are in no position to assume anything. Or to be an asshole about it. Hey, what if WE decided that anyone who can't stay up 'till 1 am is "lazy", so we're going to start calling you up at that hour? How would that grab you? It's "normal" to us to be up at that hour - A LOT of people are up at that hour. So what's your fricking problem? STAY AWAKE YOU LAZY BUMS!!!
Old 07-19-2000, 04:27 AM

Damn, cornflakes, that's a good point about my nighttime company. I got a new boss a couple of months ago, and I have yet to meet him face to face. He's sent me a couple of emails, but that's it. Gotta tell you, there can be no better boss....

Of course, if it was my company, I'd be the boss, and all my employees would love me enough to want me around all the time.

Oh, BTW, note what time this was posted. Wiiiiiide awake, here.
Old 07-19-2000, 09:09 AM

Say, Rickjay, next time try being informed. I'll suggest a little reading for you:

>The Journal of Chronobiology, every single fucking issue. See, these people who know what they're talking about demonstrate over and over and over again that people have body clocks not easily changed, and that some people's clocks work better if they don't have to wake up early.

>Anything listed under "circadian rhythms" will be a start.

>Psychology Today used to print articles on a regular basis on the subject.

>You could talk to the Philadelphia Police Department to find that when they geared schedules to people's body clocks, they increased productivity and morale and decreased
sickness and drug abuse.

Given that we know work pretty much around the clock as a society, intelligent people would recognize the fact and try to schedule to when people work best. Our nation's schools are slowly starting to grasp this idea and move to a later start time for high schools.

P.S. If you've been told not to call early and do, it's not simply a question of how "nasty" I'll be on the phone--it's illegal and I can have your ass hauled off to jail early that morning.
Old 07-19-2000, 04:26 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Hey, Minxsmom: Tough shit. I'll keep calling at 8:30. If you don't like it, turn the phone off.

No, the world does not revolve around me. But, hey, I have news for you: EVERYBODY ELSE IS UP. Ninety percent of the damned world is getting up early. YOU should abide by OUR needs, and if you don't like it, I guess you're SOL. If you need to sleep in 'cause you work a late shift, most phones (this may really amaze you) can be turned off through a highly technical process called "taking the receiver off the hook." If you like I can refer you to Web sites with clear instructions and pretty coloured pictures. I'm amazed that people who cannot fathom the concept of the PHONE can operate a computer. I won't come to your door because I don't like trailer parks.

As for you working evenings, it's not my fault you have a shit job. Too bad, so sad.

I expected the flak over "But I really AM a nighht person!" I would say you're all a bunch of cousin-porking imbeciles, but the possibility also exists that you're lying shitheads, so I'm torn between the two. I'll say one thing for sure: Every "night person" I've ever met or will ever meet is a worthless, lazy, whining puke. And as for Bucky's claim that he'll get me sent to jail:

Har.

I love it. Is "Waking a lazy-ass so-called `night owl'" a crime now? What a lark. I liked your reference to the Philly PD, though. Evidently all that extra sleep deosn't stop them from beating the shit out of people. They still seem so grumpy. Maybe they were "night owls" woken earlier than 11:00. Poor babies.

But the absolute peice de resistance was this hilarious line of bullshit from Yosemitebabe:

"to assume that all "night owls" really could be day people if they tried harder, is the same as assuming all gay people aren't trying hard enough to be straight."

Oh, my fucking Christ. You people are now comparing your lazy habits to SEXUAL ORIENTATION? You are actually saying that getting up earlier for a couple of weeks is equivalent to having sex with a completely different gender than you're used to? What's next - racial prejudice? Let's start the National Association for the Advancement of Night Owls! We'll have anti-discrimination laws passed! What a fucking insult to the victims of genuine discrimination; comparing people who are horribly discriminated against, often violently, to a pack of whining maggots.

(Note to Lexicon: Your response was reasoned and well put, an appropriate and perfectly stated response for the Pit. Hope to hear from you again. Incidentally, suck monkey cocks in hell, you unclefucking bloodfart.)
Old 07-19-2000, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, Minxsmom: Tough shit. I'll keep calling at 8:30. If you don't like it, turn the phone off.
RickJay ,

Why in the world are you calling people at home at 8:30 if you don't expect them to be there? ( if they worked "regular" hours,they'd be gone already)
Old 07-19-2000, 06:27 PM

Quote:
As for you working evenings, it's not my fault you have a shit job. Too bad, so sad.

Just a little follow up for the reading comprehension impaired RickJay.

1. I do not have a shit job. I have a very good job.
2. I LIKE my job.

BTW, why should I be required to take my phone off the hook because you are an inconsiderate jerk? I have received a few calls at odd hours that I NEEDED to get. My sister got in a car accident trying to avoid a deer - rolled the car three times before ending upside down in a ditch. My Mother was hospitalized in the middle of the night with a bad galbladder. My Grandmother fell and broke her hip and she needed someone to come help her. I should miss those calls because you want to chat or sell me something? I don't think so.

Hey, doreen that's a very good question. I'd like to see his answer to that
Old 07-19-2000, 09:29 PM

You know, I was hoping RickJay was just being a good-natured asshole with his first post, trying to make things interesting, but now I see that he's just an asshole. Well, I've already said my bit. Fuck you very much.

Oh, and BTW, I love working nights because that's when I'm awake. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 07-19-2000, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucky
Chronobiologists have proven that jumping schedules around like that lowers productivity and shortens lifespans.
Great. My schedule:

Thursday: midnight to 8AM
Friday: 6PM to 8AM
Saturday: 8PM to 8AM (although my bosses would prefer I come in at 6PM).
Sunday: 6PM to 8AM

I have no set sleep schedule. I am lucky to get 6 hours of sleep in between my shifts, and I am so tired come Monday morning, I sleep straight through till Tuesday.

I usually don't answer the phone if it rings during the day on the weekends. If somone is calling me at that time I know they don't know me. But when I first started working nights, it took a long time for my friends to be able to grasp that calling during the day was bad. I really hate it when someone knocks on the door...if it is repairmen or pest control I have no choice but to get up and tell them to go away, or else they just let themselves in.
Old 07-20-2000, 12:10 AM

Quote:

No, the world does not revolve around me. But, hey, I have news for you: EVERYBODY ELSE IS UP. Ninety percent of the damned world is getting up early. YOU should abide by OUR needs, and if you don't like it, I guess you're SOL.
Which means, all those 24 hour stores, 800 "help" lines, 800 mail order lines, tech support - all those people working hours other than 9 to 5 don't need to do that anymore. Because - hey. They want to be home at 5 pm as well. They ought to get up early, do their 8 hours, and be home by 5, just like you and all the "normal" people, right? So, if you want to call a help line, tech support, order something, rent a video, go buy groceries, or anything after 5 pm, you should be SOL as well. So another way to look at it would be - the world should not revolve around people who get up early, get off work at 5, and then expect that businesses and services be still open through the night to cater to them.

News flash - those people catering to all the 9 - 5 "morning" people are us. Those people that you gleefully insist you want to wake up early in the morning are people who often work late to make sure jerks like you can order pizza at home, or call tech support in the middle of the night, or get some aspirin at 1 am. We are working late, catering to people like you. And you are a jerk enough to still feel you can wake us up in the morning.

Quote:
See my above comment. So - all the policemen, all the health care workers, tech support, all of these people have "shit jobs" because they don't work 9 - 5. All those people catering to you have "shit jobs". Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
But the absolute peice de resistance was this hilarious line of bullshit from Yosemitebabe:

"to assume that all "night owls" really could be day people if they tried harder, is the same as assuming all gay people aren't trying hard enough to be straight."

Oh, my fucking Christ. You people are now comparing your lazy habits to SEXUAL ORIENTATION? You are actually saying that getting up earlier for a couple of weeks is equivalent to having sex with a completely different gender than you're used to? What's next - racial prejudice? Let's start the National Association for the Advancement of Night Owls! We'll have anti-discrimination laws passed! What a fucking insult to the victims of genuine discrimination; comparing people who are horribly discriminated against, often violently, to a pack of whining maggots.
You are an idiot, and you deliberately missed my point. Once again. To assume that you know that all "night owls" are not really different than you, but are merely not trying hard enough to be "morning people" is the equivalent of a straight person assuming that all gay people could really be straight if they "tried hard enough". You know nothing about being a night owl. You aren't one. So stop telling us you know us, know our lifestyles, sleep patterns, or anything. You know nothing. You are proving yourself to be an idiot. I also suspect that you are a troll, or are displaying troll-ish tendencies.

Putz.
Old 07-20-2000, 04:36 AM

Smeghead says:
Quote:
You know, I was hoping RickJay was just being a good-natured asshole with his first post, trying to make things interesting, but now I see that he's just an asshole. Well, I've already said my bit. Fuck you very much.

Oh, and BTW, I love working nights because that's when I'm awake. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I tried working "normal" hours for three years. I was always tired and cranky and sick. My body hated it. When the weekend rolled around I was awake until 2 or 3 am and slept until the afternoon. Now that I work overnights, I feel better when I wake up, don't need an alarm and am a happy person in general. Oh yeah, and since I rarely see the sun, see if I get skin cancer.
I work overnights and do not have a shit job. Thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2000, 08:24 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Har!

I was certainly prepared for the cries of protest from lazy boneheads, but the level of noise from people with poor reading skills is pretty surprising, too.

Read slowly and carefully:

IF YOU HAVE A NIGHT SHIFT, OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO SLEEP DURING THE DAY. DUH.

IF you don't want people calling early, *take the fucking phone off the hook*, or turn the ringer off. How hard is that? How do you expect people to magically know when you're sleeping? Do you send out magical ESP rays? Have you send little cards to every mailing address in the country to the effect of

Mr. and Mrs. Jumping J. Flash
request the honor of your presence
Anywhere except on the phone with us
up to 11:30 AM on weekdays

Whiners. Christ! STOP COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I've worked every imaginable late shift thatere is, fuckmonekys - 12 to 8, 8 to 8 on both sides, 11-7, you name it, and I was never once woken up by a phone call because I can unplug a phone cord without hurting myself.

(If you have people actually coming to your door and ringing the bell, that's something else entirely. Disconnecting the doorbell is troublesome and they could still knock, and yes, I know people ignore "No solicitors" signs. I would suggest shotgun blasts but you would damage your door. Perhaps an electrified doorbell button. We could start another thread about people who come to your door selling shit, I am sure. Especially people selling religion, holy shit.)

As to the teenagers who complained about their parents bugging them to get up, your parents are your problem. People bugging you all the time? Welcome to adulthood. And no, Yosemitebabe, I did not miss your point; your point was wrong. You directly compared "night owls" to homosexuals. I say again: Har.

Oh, and another thing: Boy, you people are easily riled up, considering this is a flame area. What easily manipulated puppets people can be, I mean, really. Perhaps you were all tired. Lexicon impresses me though, and Bluemonchichi's sudden burst of profane fury in the last post wasn't shabby either. I was going to call you all a pack of fish-fellating fuckfaces, but "Goat-felching ass-licking son of a cockroach" tops that.
Old 07-20-2000, 01:55 PM

Re: Har!

Quote:

IF YOU HAVE A NIGHT SHIFT, OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO SLEEP DURING THE DAY. DUH.
Then what has your whole ranting flame been about, then? News Flash - many Night Owls work the Night Shift. And we still get crap for it. We still are called "lazy". Read the comments on this thread.

This is one of your comments from an earlier post:
Quote:
The world's not waiting for you lazy-ass slackers to wake up at the crack of noon before we start conducting the day's business. At 9 AM I want to start getting the things done I want to get done, because I don't want to spend my evenings chasing down shitwits who keep a toddler's hours.
The world's not waiting for your lazy ass slackers who insist on having all these services available to you when you get off work at 5. What? Why can't you rent that video before 5 pm? Lazy slacker. Get it done earlier, why don't you? Why can't you call tech support before 5, or order that pizza, etc.? The world does not revolve around you. If the whole world gets up early (except for a few lazy slacker night owls) then no need for such services should exist.

Besides, this crap about "exempting" people with night jobs, while ragging on all "night owls" in general is bullshit. All these night people - well, these are the people that take the majority these "shit jobs", so you can shop after work, or avail yourself of many "after hours" services.

Quote:
Whiners. Christ! STOP COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I've worked every imaginable late shift thatere is, fuckmonekys - 12 to 8, 8 to 8 on both sides, 11-7, you name it, and I was never once woken up by a phone call because I can unplug a phone cord without hurting myself.
Once again, read the comments on this thread. Some of us have relatives that we need to hear from in case of an emergency. I have a handicapped sister - I sure as hell don't want to block out a potential emergency call from her, in order to avoid all the assholes who insist on calling too early.

Quote:
You directly compared "night owls" to homosexuals. I say again: Har.
I'll quote Matt here:
"New word: diurnofascist. It means "one of that subset of early birds who traipse through life expecting that everything and everyone naturally obeys their sleep cycle." They're no better than the heterosexuals who think that everybody naturally shares their sexual orientation."

You act as if you can speak as an authority on everyone's sleep cycles. Like you know how they are, know how their inner body clock works, and you have deemed that anyone who says they have trouble getting up in the morning is just "lazy". That anyone that claims that their natural cycle is that of a "night owl" is just lying about it. That's what you claim. You are the expert on all people's body clocks now.

Now, explain why my comparison to the straight person who just assumes that all gay people are not really gay, but not "trying" to be straight "hard enough" is not relevant to your claim that all "night owls" aren't "night owls" at all, but are not "trying hard enough" to be day people. Please explain the flaws in my logic clearly, don't just say "Har".
Old 07-20-2000, 02:10 PM

Quote:

hat people who cannot fathom the concept of the PHONE can operate a computer. I won't come to your door because I don't like trailer parks.

And as for Bucky's claim that he'll get me sent to jail:

Har.

I love it. Is "Waking a lazy-ass so-called `night owl'" a crime now? What a lark. I liked your reference to the Philly PD, though. Evidently all that extra sleep deosn't stop them from beating the shit out of people. They still seem so grumpy. Maybe they were "night owls" woken earlier than 11:00. Poor babies.
1) Philly PD stopped following biorhythms in the 90s. Maybe if they had, they wouldn't be fucked up.

2) Yep, if I tell you you can't call me in the morning and you do, you are breaking the law.

3) Turning the phone off isn't an option with my phone, for example. There is no mechanism to turn off the ringer short of unplugging it, which then means that REAL calls also don't come through. Turning the phone off doesn't stop all of the other crap, include idiots like Rickyjay calling us lazy.

4) Yeah, Churchill was one of those worthless night people. And that slob Proust never wrote anything. And Wittgenstein, what a putz! Way to go on using your broad and amazing experiences to make a compelling point.

I revise it, not only do many morning people suck,but Rickyjay felches.
Old 07-20-2000, 02:14 PM

Just yesterday morning :

10AM, NM is just drifting off to sleep when . . .

the phone rings. OK. I answer. I get a recording -

"Hello, do you own your own home ? Well if you need cash we are ready to serve you . . . "

SLAM.

I live in an apartment.

AAAAAAAARG !!! Takes another hour to go to sleep.

Oh, and Rickjay you insignificant turtle dick. You have no idea what it is like to work our hours, live our hours, or deal with imbecilic "time-discriminators" (like that ? just made it up) like you. No one invited you here. So please, take your bulbous, toilet crushing, sunlight stealing, teen frightning, baby killing, car crushing, bloated, infected, furry, pimply ass (where obviously your head resides) out of this thread. Oh, but don't worry about losing weight on that Sputnik shaped thing - it still won't help make your 3/4 inch penis look any bigger.

With all apologies to the greatest Wally (hate to waste this on such vermin) . . . .

PUTZ.
Old 07-20-2000, 02:53 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I take it back... sort of. Except for Yosemitebabe.

Nothingman, if you think for one instant I'm going to leave this thread because some half-assed monkey-humping turdburglar told me to, how gravely mistaken you are.

And as to the comment about how Winston Churchill was a night person - as God is my witness, I actually predicted someone would use Churchill as an example. Well, guess who else was a night person? Adolf Hitler. Loved to stay up late and sleep in. Slept right through the first part of D-Day. I'd say those balance out.

(Hitler was also a vegetarian. Another thread, perhaps.)

And JESUS H. BALDHEADED CHRIST, here we go: "But night owls work the night shift!" Man.

Perhaps I have been unclear, though it's been stated a million times; I have complete sympathy for anyone working a night shift. Really. I've worked enough of them. My honest, no-flame apologies if I roasted you.

But Yosemitebabe, your comparison to homosexuals is still fucking crazy. Let's review:

It is your assertion that saying people can change their sleeping habits is equivalent to changing their sexual orientation.

Well, no, it's not equivalent. Sexual orientation, be it biologically predetermined or unconsciously determined after birth, appears to be unchangeable. If you want to have sex with women, you can't just decide on Thursday you want to have sex with men.

You CAN, on the other hand, wake up at any damned time you please. Do it long enough and you'll be more or less used to it. Even if it is your position that you are predisposed to waking at hour X, the fact is that you can folow a different schedule and get along pretty well, provided the schedule is consistent and offers you enough sleep time. It's simply not equivalent to sexual orientation, which can't be changed at will, and can't be ignored through alternate behaviour without serious problems.

I take back my comment on unplugging your phone since you have a pretty damned good reason to keep in plugged in, though. But let me ask you this: If people are assholes for calling YOU in the morning, when should they call anyone? Since every possible shift is being worked by someone, is it not possible, then, to inadvertently catch almost anyone sleeping? What the hell are people supposed to do? Read your sleeping mind?

Of course, I may be biased by having spent years at university with people who didn't have jobs AT ALL and only had fifteen hours of class a week but did get rip-roaring drunk four night a week and the following day complained about having to get up. Of course, for those of us who did get up and slam back a coffee and make it to our 8:30 class, it was a little frustrating when these worthless shitwits didn't show up, especially when group work was involved, and don't get me fucking started on group work.

In the school paper, some mouth-breathing fuckwad wrote an editorial that - I swear I am not making this up - said that the government should ban church bells because he studied so hard that he *had* to get drunk on Saturday nights and it bothered him that St. Mary's rang its bells in the morning. These are the "night owls" I dealt with for years. So forgive me if I am projecting the sins of one group onto another, which wasn't my intent. (You're still all knuckle-dragging no-good snake felchers, of course.)
Old 07-20-2000, 04:37 PM
BANNED

Listen up, Rickjay, I'm tryin' to help you...

Quote:
Perhaps I have been unclear, though it's been stated a million times; (1)I have complete sympathy for anyone working a night shift. Really. I've worked enough of them. (2)My honest, no-flame apologies if I roasted you.
*numbering mine*
You haven't been unclear, man, you've been a dumb ass.
From your posts I gather that you aren't a mouthbreathing idiot. You sound reasonably smart. But in this case, you're acting like a grade-A shitforbrains.

Try to follow me, okay, bud?

1)You say that want to exclude shift workers. Fine. But you can't. For one simple reason...

EVERYONE HERE WHO IS A "NIGHT-PERSON" IS A SHIFT WORKER, GENIUS!

That's why your ass-squicking appeal to fractured logic continues to be ignored.

2) You don't need to apologize to anyone. You couldn't flame my 3 year old niece. Much like one of her favorite TV characters, you just give me and other adults migraines. Apologize for having your head in your ass if you feel the need for attrition.

Let me bottom line it for you, as a friend:

The people that think you are retarded like Rainman think so not so much because of what you're trying to say, but how you've been saying it... Check it:

You want to exclude a group of night people, but the only night people you're talking to here are in the group you want to exclude.
Got Dichotomy?

If you had said something like:

"Night people who don't make changes to their lifestyles in order to accomodate their sleeping habits are weakminded sacless shmucks. I don't give two fucks about them. Any night person who works a night shift has their head screwed on straight, so I got nothin' but props for them. I can't stand it when a night person bitches and expects me to have consideration when they don't have enough consideration themselves to do something to avoid what they're whining about."

I would have high-fived you, nimrod, if you had put what you're trying to say in that manner. But the way you posted was equivolent to putting a sign on your crotch that says "kick me... HARD".

Do you get it now? Do you see why everyone got their panties in a bunch? You're new here, but that makes no difference to me. I think we could be friends and I think you could be a great Doper.

But if you keep your head in your choad you're only going to piss people off and get banned.
I'm sayin all this in the best way possible, I'm tryin to help you out. If you think I'm being a dick, feel free to e-mail me. I will take prompt action. By prompt action I mean I will look into hiring an acoholic chimp to beat your nuts with a tac hammer because you are a MORON.
Old 07-20-2000, 06:15 PM

If people are assholes for calling YOU in the morning, when should they call anyone? Since every possible shift is being worked by someone, is it not possible, then, to inadvertently catch almost anyone sleeping? What the hell are people supposed to do? Read your sleeping mind?
=-=-=-=-=-

?? What are all these vital calls we're talking about? If it's regarding telemarketers, headhunters, pollsters or the like then they shouldn't be calling cold to *anybody* at any time. But that's obviously a completely different topic. Surely you are not siding with that particular brand of scum?

Lately I've been trying to get a game written for an October 1st deadline, so I'll buy a case of Coke on Friday night and start writing code. I turn the ringer off on my phone before turning in and all is good... or at least it would be, if not for my fricking room mate.

The guy is the kind of sunshine-tripping flowersparky whom I have historically had a deep loathing for. So overjoyed by the shining miracle of the rising sun that it seems he just wants someone to scratch him behind the ears and tell him what a "good boy" he is for waking up. And inadvertently, he's banging on my door for every inane Saturday morning call. If someone called for him at 2 AM on a Friday night I would not consider for a moment waking him up. Obviously, he would be asleep. The reverse logic should hold true in my case, but of course it doesn't because people who stay up late are BAD. The fact that I have never, ever responded to such knocking is apparently meaningless -- the stupid bastard can't get it through his skull that lately, even at eleven AM on a Saturday, I am on five hours sleep and couldn't possibly care less about any possible news I might get at that hour. Oh, no! Everyone should be Up And At 'Em!

This is partly why I'm kicking him the hell out of the place next month.

I guess I've just never understood why the typical "early bird" is so goddamm proud to be awake -- as if it is some special skill and/or talent. If a clock makes a loud enough sound, a human will get up. BFD. They usually want to engage in deep, meaningful conversation when you're just getting up, too.

Jackass> (Imagine a smug grin) "Hey! Welcome to the real world, lazy bones!"
HolyAvenger> "Yeah you right." (searches for some pop)
JA> "How ya doin'!!"
HA> "Yeah. Great."
JA> "Yeah!" (momentary confusion as I have not correctly responded to his sincere query)
JA> "So! Gonna sleep all day!?!" (Hee-hee! ZING!)
HA> "I'm changing the locks at the end of the month."

If I go down to the football field and kick a 75 yard field goal then I should be happy. I have done something quite remarkable. If I wake up at six in the morning? There is absolutely nothing to be proud of. Christ on the cross.

And anyway, while the early bird may get the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

=-=-=-=-=-
BB&G
the Holy Avenger
Old 07-20-2000, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As to the teenagers who complained about their parents bugging them to get up, your parents are your problem. People bugging you all the time? Welcome to adulthood.
Oh excuse me I'm sorry I didn't realize that I was an adult and well and able to take care of myself. I realize that there are many things that we have to do when we are adults despite us not liking them in the slightest. I am 17 and I realize this.. actually I'm quite mature. I realize many things and despite being sheltered I am knowledgable in things other then what my peers know. I also realize that I need to get up in the mornings and go to school and graduate so I can then go to college and then get a job and work until I can retire and finally give into my biorhthyms(sp?). Unless I manage to get a job which accomadates my rhythms or die of a heart attack because I am stressed out.

I wasn't complaining exactly. I was speaking of my experiences. If it came out as complaining well I don't give a damn. Everyone complains about something in their lives. Mine just happens to be my sleeping and the shit that I get for it from people like you. If I could have changed my sleeping patterns believe me I would have long ago because I am one of those kids who hates adult disapproval and will do pretty much anything to avoid it. Now that I am adult I still hate other peoples disapproval and I realize the consequences of not sleeping 'normally' I realize them quite fully and I don't need people talking to me about it because I can give myself the lectures and am harder on myself then anyone ever was on me. It still doesn't change things.

The saying goes that wanting to change things is the first major step in changing them. Well its been six years of wanting adn trying. It still hasn't worked so I just hope I can learn to live in a sleep deprived funk because its gonna be a long time before I can give into my sleep patterns instead of being 'normal'
Old 07-20-2000, 08:44 PM

Re: I take it back... sort of. Except for Yosemitebabe.

Quote:
You CAN, on the other hand, wake up at any damned time you please. Do it long enough and you'll be more or less used to it. Even if it is your position that you are predisposed to waking at hour X, the fact is that you can folow a different schedule and get along pretty well, provided the schedule is consistent and offers you enough sleep time.
Leaving aside the comparison to sexual orientation, this is where you are simply wrong. Just plain wrong. I spent over a year and a half at a job where I had to get up at 6 am every single day. That's a year and a half. That's much longer than the week you proposed earlier as the minimum time to adjust a sleep schedule. Let me tell you, waking up on the last day of that period was every single bit as difficult as it was on the first day.

Every day I wake up at a "normal" hour, regardless of how much sleep I've had, regardless of how long I've been having to do it, I am fucking miserable, exhausted, and on the edge of sleep all fucking day. I do not adjust. Period. If you do, well, spiffy. I'm sure it's just the shits. You go off and have fun with that. Make a game of it - see how many time zones you can adjust to in a month, then try to beat that record. But do NOT sit there on your self-righteous ass and tell me that I can do the same. No matter how many times you say it, it won't make it any more true.

As for the phone thing, it's not really an issue for me, so I won't comment, except to say I used to be on call Saturday mornings, when the shift started at 8 am. If "normal" people, like RickJay want to know what that's like, I'll be happy to call you once a week at 3 am.

Overall, I have found day people to be fairly considerate. I have no beef with them. My roommate does a good job of not waking me, even though my bedroom is right next to the bathroom. It's those people like the ones Holy Avenger mentioned who feel so damned smug about waking up early every morning that piss me the hell off. It's monumentally stupid to make judgements about someone based on one fact about their life. Luckily, there's no one around here that would be that asinine.