Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Tyrannosaurus rex: everyone's favorite dinosaur, right?

There can be no debate: T. Rex is the world's most popular dino.

Oh sure, there may be a few contrarians out there. They'll say, "Well, I happen to like the Ankylosaurus", or "No, man, the Plesiosaur had it goin' on!" And, of course, the raptor fanboys will tell you that theirs is the coolest big lizard. Face it, though; T. Rex, as the name implies, is The King. The Elvis of dinosaurs, if you will...(s)he's everywhere.

So, here's your chance to profess your love of the guy with the big teeth and the little hands. Have you been to see Sue? How about the T. Rex at Wall Drug or the big statue at Cabazon?

Or, maybe, you had a bad experience with Barney growing up. In that case, feel free to explain why T. Rex isn't your favorite terrible lizard.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

I was always partial to Triceratops though I have no idea why. They just seemed cool to my eight year old self.

Favorite dinosaur book.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
I was always partial to Triceratops though I have no idea why. They just seemed cool to my eight year old self.

Favorite dinosaur book.
Me too, except for the not knowing why part. It's those horns; they sort of snarl "Yeah, come get some mo fo".
Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I always liked the Stegosaurus. The plates on its back look really cool, and I'm amazed that such a huge animal could function with a brain the size of a peanut.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Velociraptor! Okay, okay. I know they were smaller and slightly wussier than Spielberg's raptors. But they have awesome names. Can I choose Utahraptor? Then again, Utahraptor will never sound as cool as velociraptor!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM

See, I always preferred triceratops because she looks so gentle, but you just know if someone messes with her, she can take care of herself. She's the ultimate Mama Bear.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Nope, not really a T. Rex fan. They were always eating my favorite dinos. I like the Hadrosaurs (back when they were called Duck-billed dinosaurs).
Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Another Triceratops fan.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Triceratops for me, too! T-Rex have those silly little arms, and they are mean....
Old 06-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Triceratops. I love the headgear.

I'm also fond of Anklyosaurus and Stegosaurus. I still have a photo of myself about age 4 with my little sister, about 2, and the Steggie outside the Cleveland Natural History Museum: http://www.cmnh.org/site/AtTheMuseum...s/Steggie.aspx
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Having grown up near the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, their T. Rex was the only one for me. A lot of your new whipper-snapper T. Rexes like Sue hadn't been discovered yet, and I think the next nearest T. Rex was at the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh. IIRC, Asimov liked looking at the AMNH T. Rex, too, as described in the Tyrannosaurus Prescription.

The skull on the mounterd skeleton wasn't the real skull -- that was kept in a separate case nearby. Theirs was the most perfect skull that had been discovered to that point (despite being slightly crushed to one side), and they didn't want to risk suspending it some 30 feet above thefloor. The skeleton had a cast skull in place of the real one.

As for my fave, I was more partial to brontosaurs (apatosaurs, nowadays), maybe because they had been depicted as "friendlier". The movie Dinosaurus, and several other books and comics, had depicted people riding on brontosaurs, right where the neck meets the torso.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Hmm....is triceratops the favorite dinosaur of the girls? It's looking like it...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM

I used to be a Sue docent at the Field Museum, so yeah, I will admit to a fondness for t-rexes.

That was a fun gig.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Utahraptor is my favorite, because they're raptors and they're way more badass than velociraptors.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Triceratops?

Hmmm...maybe I should ask the mods to change my thread title?

Me and my favorite dino, circa 1962
Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
<snip>As for my fave, I was more partial to brontosaurs (apatosaurs, nowadays), maybe because they had been depicted as "friendlier". The movie Dinosaurus, and several other books and comics, had depicted people riding on brontosaurs, right where the neck meets the torso.
In other words, you are partial to the "Jesus horses"

D & R

Although not dinosaurs, I am partial to mosasaurs.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

I like Pachycephalosaurus
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Sorry, flight trumps all else. Pterries have to win the prehistoric reptile contest. Next best thing to a dragon
Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I like Pachycephalosaurus
I used to think Pachycephalosaurus was cool, until I really paid attention to the display case at the AMNH. The similar Stegoceras was the big one. The Pachy was a little skull smaller than a tennis ball. Maybe it was a juvenile. Maybe it's better call it "cute", but it's no longer on my list of "cool" dinosaurs.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

I was a brontosaurus fan. Maybe I'm rewriting history but I think finding out about the whole apatosaurus thing killed my enthusiasm for dinosaurs. I was also a fan of parasaurolophus and ankylosaurus.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Everybody likes Triceratops ( not just girls! ). The armored tank of the dinosaur world. Check out Tundro, who also happened to be my favorite Herculoid.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 06-29-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Yeah, triceratops are just cool.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM

I was fond of Deinonychus before velociraptors were cool, but my current favorite are the hadrosaurs.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 06-29-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I used to think Pachycephalosaurus was cool, until I really paid attention to the display case at the AMNH. The similar Stegoceras was the big one. The Pachy was a little skull smaller than a tennis ball. Maybe it was a juvenile. Maybe it's better call it "cute", but it's no longer on my list of "cool" dinosaurs.
No, you had it right the first time. Pachycephalosaurus was much bigger than Stegoceras.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
o, you had it right the first time. Pachycephalosaurus was much bigger than Stegoceras.
No, I recalled surprise to learn that the Pachy skull was actually smaller than the Stegoceras skull, the opposite of what i had expected (and had assumed over the years).
Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Sith Mod

In terms of gigantic prehistoric reptiles, it was the sea-going ones that always gave me the shivers. Pliosaur is probably my favorite.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM

I love apatasaurs but that's not surprising if you know me. I'm just like one.

I think the T-Rex is the most popular though.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM

That's a hard choice. I've been a dino fan since reading the first selection The Weekly Reader Book Club sent: All About Dinosaurs by Roy Chapman Andrews. Even if some of that stuff was wrong--it's been great fun to follow developments in the field. And to see all that Walking With... stuff on TV!

My current favorite is Quetzalcoatlus, first discovered in Texas. We've got a skeleton hanging from the ceiling in Houston's Natural History Museum.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Une merveilleuse cerise

Gotta be the Pterodactyl for me. It can fly. It was my favorite in my plastic dinosaur set.

Of course, I always loved the angel best in the Nativity set too. I'm not happy unless something's flying around.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
In terms of gigantic prehistoric reptiles, it was the sea-going ones that always gave me the shivers. Pliosaur is probably my favorite.
Not actually dinosaurs. Of course, you wrote "gigantic prehistoric reptiles," not "dinosaurs," so I'm not sure why I was going with this. Ah well.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. The sea monsters are super creepy cool, especially Pliosaur and Megalodon - a shark the size of a city bus!
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuffy View Post
Me too...
You too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambihelical Hexnut View Post
I always liked the Stegosaurus.
Weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Velociraptor!
Lame. Actually, the velociraptor is pretty cool, but you're still wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
See, I always preferred triceratops because she looks so gentle, but you just know if someone messes with her, she can take care of herself. She's the ultimate Mama Bear.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
Nope, not really a T. Rex fan.
Nuh uh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Another Triceratops fan.
No.

No, no, no, no, no! T-Rex rocks your face, but first, will rip its flesh off and eat it alive. This is what I think of everyone's precious triceratops.

Oh, and brontosaurus? Total pussy.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Styracosaurus. Do you have enough deadly vicious horns? More? *sprinkle sprinkle* How's that? More? Say when...*sprinkle sprinkle*
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

I'm a guy, but solidly in the triceratops camp. Nothing says don't mess with me like those three wicked head-horns, backed by a solid neck shield. If only they hadn't died out -- imagine the shock and awe of a cavalry charge of a solid wall of triceratops. Unstoppable.
The marine reptiles and flyers were totally cool and awesome, but they're not technically dinosaurs. T-rex is big and toothy, but those tiny little arms are just silly. And sure they were huge, but were they really fierce predators or just overgrown vultures feeding on Jurassic road-kill?
Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I always liked the Stegosaurus. The plates on its back look really cool, and I'm amazed that such a huge animal could function with a brain the size of a peanut.
He had ARMOR and WEAPONS! T-Rex had those teeth sure, but come on, those tiny arms!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Triceratops, and I'm a manly man.

The thing is, it's an herbivore. It's not looking for trouble. But if you screw with it, it will mess you up.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Une merveilleuse cerise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
No.

No, no, no, no, no! T-Rex rocks your face, but first, will rip its flesh off and eat it alive. This is what I think of everyone's precious triceratops.

Oh, and brontosaurus? Total pussy.
I think I'm beginning to understand your user name. Just a bit.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I didn't like the T-Rex because of Land of the Lost. Not because I was afraid for Marshall, Will and Holly, but because even to my young self it looked totally lame.

I was a Pterodactyl fan, all the way. (That's what I will continue to call it).
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Q: Why do kids like dinosaurs so much?

A: They're big, and scary, and very, very, dead.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
The marine reptiles and flyers were totally cool and awesome, but they're not technically dinosaurs.
I like the flying reptiles, too, but that is why I did not mention the pterodactyls and it had absolutely nothing to do with them completely slipping my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrendajo View Post
T-rex is big and toothy, but those tiny little arms are just silly. And sure they were huge, but were they really fierce predators or just overgrown vultures feeding on Jurassic road-kill?
Yep, tiny arms are silly. I'm sure all the other dinos were constantly mocking the T. Rexes, probably why they had such bad dispositions.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM

On a related note, Ms. Attack recently suggested that we visit Drumheller Alberta. Here's the thread. Dinosaur related comments are solicited.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Another vote for the Triceratops
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Triceratops was Alan Grant's favorite as a kid, too. So you know they're cool!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM

I second Styracosaurus. Sure he was smaller than the competition. But he was the proto-punk - he could grow his own liberty spikes!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I always liked the Stegosaurus.
Glad to I'm not the only one.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Which one was the dino with the Thagomizer(tm)?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
I think I'm beginning to understand your user name. Just a bit.
I'm all about savage, unrepentant killing. I mean... I guess think they're cool lookin' is all.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Which one was the dino with the Thagomizer(tm)?
This one.
Quote:
Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM

T-rexs can fly fighter jets. They win.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 PM

As already noted, pterosaurs weren't dinosaurs. And neither were the various marine critters. The only "flying dinosaurs" were, and are, birds. Just so everyone's on the same page

My favorite is Deinonychus, and has been since I first learned of the critter. Not because he's the most ferocious, or most awesome, or anything like that. Just because.

For those hating on T, rex's tiny arms, keep in mind that tyrannosaurs sacrificed forelimbs to grow large skulls (containing large teeth) and big feet with which to tear other dinos apart. Think of how birds of prey eat; they don't need arms to do it, and neither did T. rex. T. rex also had one of the greatest bite forces of any terrestrial animal.