Old 03-22-2001, 06:37 PM
BANNED

As a kid, I ate candy such as Big Time, Forever Yours, Seven-Up (seven kinds of filling covered by one layer of chocolate), Candy Buttons (the sweet, colored lumps sold stuck to adding-machine tape), and a brande of malted-milk balls labeled "FIVE5SOMES," which I called "five-five-somes," the last syllable rhyming with "drums."
Post here some candy or "junk" food you miss because they don't make it any more.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:25 PM

Actually, my favorite junk is still available, just not near me.

Jackson's Lemon Jumble Cookies, spudnuts from The Spudnut Shop, and the Dumas Candy Company's peanut patties.

Only available in Union County, Arkansas.

:: sigh ::
Old 03-22-2001, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Seven-ups!! I loved those things. After all these years I was beginning to believe I just imagined them since no one I talked to had ever heard of them.
I loved horehound drops as a kid. They still make them but it's hard to find the good, old-fashioned ones with the sugar crystals on the outside. Or the sticks, softer on the outside than on the inside. Mmmmmmmm.

As for junk food, I guess the only one I miss is Mr. Salty pretzel sticks. Oh, I know there are a lot of pretzel-type compounds out there, but none so thin, exquisitely crisp and loaded with salty goodness. Oh my.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:58 PM

Marathon bars, silky caramel, in a loose braid covered in chocolate.

Those sweet sweet-tart lollypops on a plastic stick.

Choco-Lite

The old Tangy Taffy, not the new stuff... that you could pull a horses teeth out with.

The old anti-dentist friendly Corn nuts that were so hard you weren't sure which broke first, the corn or your molars.

Those little wax coke bottles filled with that nasty juice.

Wax Lips

Is it just me or were Charleston Chews much longer and much chewier years ago?

Lots of others that I don't even know the name of anymore.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:43 PM

What snack do I miss the most?

Daisies, Pizza Spins and Whistles, made by General Mills in the 60's and cousins to the still-available Bugles.

...and Peter Paul Peanut Clusters.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:44 PM

Let's see...

Blackjack Gum

Pop Rocks

Mountain Bars

Nehi soft drinks. Especially Creme Soda.

More, I am sure, but my mind has gone blank.

Uh, Arden Ranger...The Dumas Candy Co.? How, exactly is that pronounced, exactly? Doomoss or Dumbass?
Just curious, sort of.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ghod, I miss Hey Day cookies!
Old 03-23-2001, 12:02 AM

Brain Food Popcorn...those were the tastiest snacks I've ever had.

I remember breaking one of my teeth on a corn kernal and my fingers would get covered in this thick, cheesy substance, but damn, I miss those things.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 AM

Its not junk but...

I really miss Campbells Scotch Broth soup
Old 03-23-2001, 12:15 AM

They used to make this cereal that was supposed to taste like powdered doughnuts - I can't remember what it was called. I really liked it, though.

Virtually married to yo mama.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:17 AM

I don't know where you guys are shopping, but sweet-tart lollypops on plastic sticks (they have a semi-crumbly consistency and you can scrape off lollypop dust with your front teeth. The sticks are hollow, right?) and candy buttons are still available at Mr. Bulky on in the Sather's candy display at the convenience store.

I miss SweeTarts from before the rolls were tainted with those ungodly blue "fruit punch" candies. SweeTarts were once my very favorite candy, but my enthusiasm has paled somewhat since I had to start throwing away a good 1/5 of the roll. Also Circus Fun cereal, which contained enough little marshmallow pieces to qualify as a candy. I really miss Circus Fun.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:55 AM

A&W Root Beer. You know, back when a quart cost a mere 10 and no formula or ingredient changes had been made that the taste buds could detect, for many years.

Land sakes alive, can't you almost imagine how good the first 8 ounce belt tasted 20 minutes after tossing the last of your 250 paper afternoon route onto Mrs. Throckmorton's porch in the middle of a Central Valley August heat wave?

Pavlov's dogs got nothing on the stringers hangin' from my chin - I must soil my cuff now.
Old 03-23-2001, 02:05 AM

I don't know how many of you will find what you are nostalgic about here, but its worth a shot:

http://www.hometownfavorites.com
Info on this and other student films at Dead Gentlemen Productions
Old 03-23-2001, 02:49 AM

I remember how I was soooooooo extremely disappointed when they put caramel in wachmacallit. It's been what 17 years? and I haven't had one since.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:42 AM

two words: crystal pepsi
i think thats what it was called? It's only been two or three years ago, that stuff had so much caffine and sugar it was better than any candy out there. When they stopped making it, I thought I might have to go to rehab to get by without it, but after it totally disappeared I was able to quit cold turkey.
Jolly rancher suckers. I haven't been able to find them for years either.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:01 AM

Re: Let's see...

Quote:
Originally posted by cheezit
Blackjack Gum

Pop Rocks

Mountain Bars

Nehi soft drinks. Especially Creme Soda.

More, I am sure, but my mind has gone blank.
Pop Rocks do exist! However, the selection of flavors is pretty wretched. They only make stuff like watermelon and black cherry and something tropical and maybe one other. I want some orange Pop Rocks!
Old 03-23-2001, 04:20 AM

Quote:
FIZZIES were invented by Emerson Drug Company. The idea derived from scientists working with chemical formulas similar to "Bromo Seltzer" and wondering if a fun, fruit flavored drink could be developed the same way. "Wouldn't it be grand if we could drop a tablet in a glass of water and have an instant soda pop?"

After long hard work, they finally figured out how to combine the right combinations of fruit flavoring, sweetener, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate (a substance that is much like baking soda) into a magical tablet that when dropped into water, turned water into an instant sparkling, effervescent fruit drink!

"Hooray," the scientist said. "Let's hurry and share this with others!" So in July of 1957, just in time for the hot, summer weather, Fizzies was born and appeared in various local supermarkets.
Fizzies came to mind before a simple search revealed they still exist. I recall that some of my friend's children clamored for these quite often during the summer. There was a root beer tablet that was really very good when just sucked on.

As with many things, I will not risk damaging the memory by tasting these again.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Broken Doll
Brain Food Popcorn...those were the tastiest snacks I've ever had.

I remember breaking one of my teeth on a corn kernal and my fingers would get covered in this thick, cheesy substance, but damn, I miss those things.
Do you mean Smartfood, the white-cheddar-covered popcorn snack? If so, it's still available in many regions (I can't get it where I am now, but it's easy to find in New Mexico), and you can order it from netgrocer if you can't find it locally.
Old 03-23-2001, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arden Ranger
...Jackson's Lemon Jumble Cookies....
I can look out of my office window and see the bakery where those are produced. When the wind is just right, I open my window and let the smell of baking cookies fill my office.
Old 03-23-2001, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Blackjack Gum
Cracker Barrell carries it in their store.

Quote:
I really miss Campbells Scotch Broth soup
We've got it in our area - ask your supermarket manager to order some. They're usually pretty good about that kind of thing.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Spangles!! (possibly UK only). Square hard-boiled sweets in a roll. Myriad flavours. Haven't seen them for years.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:50 AM

Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwiches, with french vanilla ice cream and hand-made brownies with walnuts as the wafers.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:10 PM

I really miss candy cigarettes. I wish I had some right now.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Valerieblaise
I really miss candy cigarettes. I wish I had some right now.
You can get those here in Spiffeld Just saw some at the convenience store this morning, actually.

--tygre
Old 03-23-2001, 03:57 PM

Pez?!? doesn't anyone miss pez?!? I'm sweet

pezpunk does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or marital status or other protected status covered by federal, state or local law.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or were Charleston Chews much longer and much chewier years ago?
I think so, too. They used to be among my favorites because one would last me forever, which was very important on my scant allowance money. Do you remember the commercials for them featuring King Louis (with the French pronunciation)? "They're chewy, Louis, but no too chewy." My sister and I still quote that, for some reason.

Has anyone seen a Big Hunk lately? I lost a tooth in one when I was 10, and kept trying to chew it (thinking it was just an exceptionally hard nut) before I figured out that I was missing a molar. The only time I ever lost a tooth where it wasn't painful. God bless Big Hunk candy bars everywhere.

I also miss Jewel gum, the little soft squares with some kind of flavor-juice inside. I saw a pack for the first time in years a month ago out in the boondocks. Who knows when I'll see one again.
Old 03-23-2001, 10:59 PM

Candy dots, candy cigarettes, and what has to be a Buffalo thing --- Jingles cookies during the Christmas season.

Check out http://www.buffalofoods.com -- Buffalo is still one of those places where you'll go through the supermarket aisles, and half the products you'll see aren't available anywhere else in the country.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:16 AM

OMG!
Quote:
spudnuts from The Spudnut Shop
I haven't even heard mention of them in 30+ years. We used to live on 'em. I keep seeing things in the thread that we still have here.(Kansas) Blackjack gum, PopRocks, Pez.
I miss Fizzies. we only tried making the drink out of them a few times and then figured out that they were way better just to suck on. The gum with the liquid centers...wasn't that Chewel?(Everyone I know called it cum-gum.)

What do I miss most?[list=1][*]ZOTS hard, fruity candy with fizzy centers[*]Screaming Yellow Zonkers sugar coated popcorn[*]Quake cereal (I've recently seen it's cousin, Quisp on the shelves here)[*]Peer pop -came in about 25 flavors[*]Bottle caps hard, sweet candies[*]Mini Chicklets the little bitty ones[*]Teaberry gum[*]Gold Rush gum Nugget shapes, came in it's own draw-string pouch[*]Beechnut gum[*]Black Cow chocolate-Fudge on a stick[*]Laffy Taffy 3" X 12" flattened straps of the stuff, with a white stripe down the middle[*]Hot Dog bubble gum cinnamon bubble-gum in the shape of a hotdog[*]SLOW-POKE the be-all of tooth-wrenching, caramel goodness, on a stick[*]GIANT Sweet-tarts big as a pocket watch[*]Atomic Fire balls HOT, cinnamon jaw breakers[*]Bloops marble shaped, sweet-tart-like candies[*]Chick-o-stix kinda like the center of a Butterfinger, without the chocolate, covered in toasted cocoanut.[*]Sugar babies pure sugar-coated sugar[*]Ozark Bar-B-Que potato chips[*]FunnyFace drink mix(Loudmouth lime, Goofy Grape, Choo-Choo Cherry, Rootin-Tootin Raspberry, others)[*]My favorite of all was Licorice ice cream. Used to get it as a kid...back when we had the afore-mentioned Spudnuts.[/list=1]
It looks like I snacked kind of a lot as a kid, huh?
Old 03-24-2001, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Doug, if by Forever Yours you mean the vanilla nougant, carmel and dark chocolate bar made by M&M Mars, they've come back here as Milky Way Midnight. Still damn good, too.

I miss Triple Decker bars, which were tested and dropped by Nestle in my Boston Mass childhood. A layer of dark chocolate, white chocolate, and milk chocolate in one bar.

A lot of Ben&Jerry's flavors: Apple Pie Yoghurt, Nutcracker Suite, and Cool Britanna. The top of the list is Southern Pecan Pie, which is simply the best food I ever ate in my life.
Old 03-24-2001, 11:20 AM

• Reggie Bars (Very much "packed with peanuts" -- bonus points to anyone who can remember for whom this confection was named)
  • Wacky Wafers (fruit-flavored half-dollar-sized candies -- my fave flave was banana)
  • Bottle Caps (soda-flavored dime-sized candies -- my fave flave was cola)
  • Spree (also a hard, disk-shaped candy. They came in a long roll and by the time you were done, your tongue was raw from sucking)
  • Tropical Fruit Life Savers
  • That gum that came in miniature record albums. I may still have one of those "album covers" with The Knack on it. (Does anyone remember The Knack? Bonus points to anyone who can name both of their hits)
  • Ramblin' Root Beer (from the Coca-Cola company)
  • OK Soda (another Coke product -- early '90s)
  • Lucky Charms with their original marshamllows as God intended -- pink hearts, yellow moons, blue diamonds, and green clovers -- and nothing else!...These kids today with their weird shapes and immoral colors...grumble...grumble....
Old 03-24-2001, 11:41 AM

Bboy, take a trip down to El Dorado, Arkansas. The Spudnut Shop's still doing a booming business. Ever since I moved away I've been trying to find a recipe for the damned things that tastes right. One day I shall convince them to give me theirs!

A lot of the candies on your list are still around. Wicked me introduced my kids to Zots without warning them and mini Chiclets are a favorite of son's.

jesuslynch, I hate you. I can buy all manner of other Jackson cookies, but I have only been able to find the lemon ones when I go visit my Mom or she sends me "care packages", and then I have to hide 'em from my kids.
Old 03-24-2001, 11:42 AM

I'm at school in PA, and I miss Krumpe's Donuts from Hagerstown, MD. These doughnuts are the best doughnuts in the world....even better than Krispy Kremes. They just melt in your motuh, they are so light. The best part about the shop is that its open these weird hours--7pm til 3 in the morning, and you can smell the doughnuts as soon as you get close to the building (which helps you find it, considering its in an alley that most people aren't familiar with). I love those doughnuts and I wish I had about a dozen of the glazed twists so I could eat them right now.

I also miss Nehi soda...their cream soda was the best, and they had a kick ass strawberry soda. They had the weirdest colors and the best flavors, and I miss them.

I also miss glass bottles. Not a snack food, but it does make soft drinks taste sooooo much better. Coke out of a glass bottle rocks. And Fruitopia in the glass bottles was great. Now that its in the plastic bottles, I don't buy it anymore because it takes funny. And forget about fruit juice or iced tea in a can or in plastic. Ick....funky metallic or plastic aftertaste. Glass recycles, but plastic is so much cheaper to make and ship....fie on these companies who are so cheap that they went to plastic. (That's just a general rant thing that pisses me off. But it had to be said. Otherwise, my brain would hurt me.)

"We are all worms; however, I do believe that I am a glowworm." ~Winston Churchill
Old 03-24-2001, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Arden Ranger said:
Bboy, take a trip down to El Dorado, Arkansas. The Spudnut Shop's still doing a booming business.
I may just have to do that...although, according to my wife (our official navigator) it looks like about 11 hours from here, excluding stops.
Quote:
Arden Ranger also said:
A lot of the candies on your list are still around.
I'm sure you're right, and its probably a regional thing. I see others in the post, lamenting about stuff that we still have in my area. It seems to me that in today's world, this stuff ought to be available everywhere.

Maybe we should organize a trading ring?
Quote:
Arden Ranger further added:
Wicked me introduced my kids to Zots without warning them.
I wish I could've seen that. I bet your kids think you are pretty cool.

Here's a few more that seem to be deceased, at least in this area.[list=1][*]Mason's the best rootbeer (IMO) the world has ever known[*]Dad's another rootbeer, and a very close second.[*]Rondo lemony-limeish soda pop[*]Simba another soda similar to Fresca.[/list=1]
Old 03-24-2001, 01:08 PM

Necco Wafers.

What can I say? I'm weird that way.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ghandi5569
I also miss glass bottles. Not a snack food, but it does make soft drinks taste sooooo much better. Coke out of a glass bottle rocks.
Me too! I thought I was the only one to notice that.
I do miss Cadbury's Aztec bars. Sort of like a superior quality Mars bar. They're all gone now though, they were just a one off special edition I think.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:31 PM

I saw candy buttons in the store the other day.

I remember getting Nehi Blueberry Creme Soda. YUM!!!

I once found Snapple Strawberry Ice Tea. THAT was the best. I have never seen it again.

BTW, there is a dead foods board at http://www.topsecretrecipes.comcom

There was a gum with sort of a sweet jelly inside, called Freshen Up-I've seen it occasionally!

I see Teaberry gum a lot. It's sooo yummy. I also see Beechnuts and Spree and Neco Wafers.

I miss Kool Aid flavors like Sunshine Punch and Rainbow Punch. THAT was the best.
And those jawbreaker gum that was soooo sour you had to lick it a little at a time, or your face would just pucker up, and your mouth would implode! And some had the added benefit of turning your entire mouth blue.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bboy

I may just have to do that...although, according to my wife (our official navigator) it looks like about 11 hours from here, excluding stops.

Maybe we should organize a trading ring?

The drive's worth it! Buy 2 dozen and warm 'em in the microwave! They're still better than plain 'ol doughnuts! While you're at it, take another half hour and drive to Betty's Diner in Strong, Arkansas for the best soft serve ice cream in the area. I don't know what's different, but it's wonderous.

Trading ring. Yes. Though unless you get my Lemon Jumble cookies where you are, I'd just be doing it out of the goodness of my heart.

Quote:
Arden Ranger further added:
Wicked me introduced my kids to Zots without warning them.
I wish I could've seen that. I bet your kids think you are pretty cool.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, not at the time. My son thought he had been poisioned. But he loved the Pop Rocks.

I can still get pop in glass bottles around here. Coke in a glass bottle is the *only* way to truely enjoy coke with peanuts in it.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:41 PM

I can get mini little bottles of pop in glass bottles. I don't really notice much of a difference, frankly.

Actually, if you have a lot of little kids running around at a picnic, glass bottles aren't very practical. Trust me.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Scratch1300, do I get the points for being the first to remember that Reggie Bars were named for Reggie Jackson?
Old 03-24-2001, 03:54 PM
BANNED

Does THIS ever take me back!! :)

You all sure jostled my memory...I liked a lot of these things you've mentioned!!
*Screaming Yellow Zonkers! (Remember the funny messages on the original [black] box? Like "Win a Continent"--no entries accepted after August 21, 1947." )
*B-Bats--colored taffy in square pieces, with baseball players depicted on the wrapper.
*Variations on the Candy Buttons--wrapped like Life Savers.
*Licorice ice cream, as mentioned--I got to try this only once. Really liked it. Baskin-Robbins said they quit making it because of problems with the black coloring.
*Bonomo's Turkish Taffy.
*Butter Brickle ("Costs a nickel.")
*Soda pop caps, as mentioned--we originally got these from ice cream trucks that came through the neighborhood.
*Those big ol' jawbreakers. Almost as big around as ping-pong balls. Good for hours of sucking fun unless you like to break your teeth!
*Delaware Punch (although you can still find it in some places.
*Cliquot Club, Mother's Pride, Dad's Root Beer, Frostie's, Bar-B, Bireley's, Sun Crest.
*Abba-Zabba (I know it's still around, but in the 50s you could buy it with pictures of African natives on the wrapper--they must have gone politically correct in the 60s.
Old 03-24-2001, 06:07 PM

A.R., I'll keep my eyes peeled for your Lemon Jumble cookies.

I found a Spudnut shop on the web, about 220 miles from my sister's place - YEEHAW!
(I wonder if she even knows it's there...and would she drive all day for the sake of her little bro?) Unfortunately they don't offer them for sale over the internet.

There is a couple more items from my childhood that I must mention. The problem is, I can't remember the exact names, but I can give a pretty good description.
Both are bubblegum cards.
They didn't have sports figures on them though. The first had comical pictures of sort of Big-Daddy-Roth(ish) race cars/drivers.
The other ones were like something from MAD magazine, with product parodies on 'em. (Like Skimpy Peanut Butter, Gyppy-Pop popcorn, Crust toothpaste)
Any help out there?
Old 03-24-2001, 09:22 PM

Re: Does THIS ever take me back!! :)

Quote:
Originally posted by dougie_monty
You all sure jostled my memory...I liked a lot of these things you've mentioned!!
*Bonomo's Turkish Taffy.
Yep, the vanilla Turkish Taffy. NOT the chocolate or banana. That was only for when the drugstore was out of vanilla. Put it in the freezer til it's hard. Take it outside and whack it on the sidewalk. Put the razor sharp shards in your mouth and work them around til they soften. Then lick your finger and mush it in the wrapper so you get every last little bit.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:02 PM

These are probably all still available, I just can't get 'em easily.
[list][*]Canadian Smarties[*]candy buttons[*]candy lipstick[*]rock candy on a wooden stick with a little ball on the end[*]Smarties lollipops[*]candy cigarettes
Old 03-25-2001, 12:39 AM

Hi--I'm new at this site---looks like fun.

I miss-----GREENRIVERS
BULL EYES candy
I agree on the "glass bottle" posts

and MOST OF ALL-------the TASTE of a 50s PEPSI!

Only the FOAM has that zing now-a-days.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:48 AM

I'm only 14, but I miss the good, old BONKERS!. Those were the greatest things imaginable. The orange were the best, followed by the cherry/strawberry (I forget which) and then grape. Last was Watermelon, because for some reason watermelon ones were always rock hard, while the rest were nicer and taffylike. I would do anything to have a nice package of those. And you can't forget the light outside ring with the dark center.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:51 AM

Oh, and welcome to the boards exchicagoan. I hope you enjoy your stay and make some new friends . I'm kinda an unliked backround figure here, so don't mind me too much.
Old 03-25-2001, 01:28 AM

There are many things in this thread I can find easily around here. That trading ring doesn't sound half bad...

And Speaker, I loved Bonkers! The orange ones were the best! The grape ones always left a waxy feeling in my mouth, though!
Old 03-25-2001, 02:21 AM

OK, Speaker, Evilbeth, you two wanna let the rest of us in on it?
What exactly are BONKERS?
I don't know if I've ever seen 'em.
Old 03-25-2001, 02:30 AM

Bonkers were a type of candy (obviously). They were rectangular cubes of chewy, almost taffy-like fruity goodness. They were lighter in color on the outside than on the inside--you could see because the ends were done like cross-sections. They came in a pack like Life-Savers but the pack was square/rectangular. These were popular in the early to mid-80s. In the commercials, huge fruits would fall from the sky and "bonk" old people on the head. I have no idea how else to explain them!

Here's a link.
Old 03-25-2001, 02:58 PM
BANNED

Name Droppers
Pixie Stix
Razzle Dazzle
Sweet Tarts
Gum Cigars
Fizzies(root beer was the worst!)
I ALSO knew that it was named after Reggie jckson
Scratch1300: I want my bonus points:
Those were called Chu Bops(albums gum)
And the Knack's two songs were My Sharona dn Good Girls Don't (But I Do)
Ta da!

candy cigs. Yep liked em. But I LOVED chocolate cigarettes!