Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Is Celtic music really widely hated?

In the (something) is the Kenny G of (something) thread, there were some digs at Celtic folk music. I'm just wondering - is Celtic music generally unpopular?

(I'm not whining. I'm just wondering.)

(For the record, I do like much Celtic music.)

Last edited by EmilyG; 02-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
BANNED

" I do like much Celtic music."

There you go. Unless you think you're a special exception.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM

I think there are always people who like to gripe about any type of easy listening music, and Enya is as big a target as anyone.

Personally, I'm not a big Enya fan but I love the Clancy Brothers.

Last edited by hogarth; 02-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM

Folk music in general tends to get a lot of disdain, especially when the lowest common denominator parts become more widely heard. "Riverdance" did Celtic music no favors, but a few musicians made some bucks off it, so good for them.

I've loved Celtic music for decades. Like everything else 90% ranges from meh to crap, but the other 10% is wonderful.

Last edited by Mrs. Cake; 02-07-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Like most other musical "fads," Celtic got massively over-done. So much so that Sturgeon's Law became the default most people thought of when they thought of Celtic. Which is a pity, because there is some great music being made by "Celtic" artists.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I think there are always people who like to gripe about any type of easy listening music, and Enya is as big a target as anyone.

Personally, I'm not a big Enya fan but I love the Clancy Brothers.
Oh, I wasn't aware Enya was lumped in with Celtic music. I thought she was New Age. When I heard about Celtic music, I was thinking of folk music.

Intriguing.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I never heard of any criticism of Celtic anything until Michael Flatley.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM

I love Celtic music and would love to go to the Fall Colours festival in Cape Breton...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:28 PM

There's the "Celtic" that's misty New-Ageish folderol. Then there are the Chieftains & the Dubliners. And the Pogues....
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I like House of Pain.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

There's also those awful Celtic Fire people they keep showing on PBS.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post

(For the record, I do like much Celtic music.)
I think that what I meant by this is that I like much Celtic folk music.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Celtic Music? You mean there's something other than "The Irish Washer Woman?"
Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM

It's funny - Public Radio has a great Celtic music show, "The Thistle and Shamrock" but Public Television has pretty much shit over the genre with their Celtic woman fundraising specials.

Riverdance didn't help either - some good music, mostly generic Celtic Muzak. (Dancers were talented, but it's so damn repetitive. boring)

Celtic music has influenced American roots music among other things. The music group the Chieftains has acknowledged the far-flung intertwined influences on their cds.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Just listen to Caledonia by Dougie Maclean. If you don't think it's great, I don't want to know you.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Hi, Annie-Xmas. I love Dougie Maclean's music!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

I think this is one of those "what do you mean by _____" questions. For a lot of people, smooth jazz IS jazz, and ergo widely hated; you wouldn't say the same about John Coltrane and Duke Ellington. I wouldn't think groups like Gaelic Storm or The Chieftains would go down as "widely hated" in many circles, but for many, lighter-weight fare IS Celtic music, and that's gonna draw some scowls.

Last edited by StusBlues; 02-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM

I LOVE Celtic music, don't know the 'good' kind from the 'awful' kind, but so?

My elderly mother has a lifelong dislike of the Irish stemming from high school decades ago and she certainly hates Celtic music. She said, "I don't know why it's in all the movies like its something special! Why is it in that Titanic movie?" I said, "what did you expect to hear? Polka music? Accordians? A Tarantella?"
Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

"Celtic music" is a pretty broad category.

There's Celtic rock, like, say, Black 47 or Rogue's March or (arguably) Great Big Sea, from Newfoundland.

There's traditional Celtic music, as performed by Altan (my favorite) or perhaps the Chieftans.

There's great stuff to sing along with in a pub, like the Clancy Brothers, or the Irish Rovers and the like.

And then there's Celtic Woman, and Enya, and stuff like that. Which I don't like. Therefore it is crap.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Who doesn't have Dropkick Murphy and The Pogues on their Saint Patrick's Day iPod playlist they listen to once a year?

Of course Enya is an easy target. She is pretty much the definition of whispy new-agey vocals used to associate a movie scene or commercial with rolling green hills and glens or just anything vaguely Celtic looking.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM

'Celtic' is quite a range of music,

Here is Capercaillie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K0tQRYv8tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDYe52XHWo

Mary Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQWqlbaI6bc

Eleanor Mcevoy & Mary Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQP9931NhU

Saw Doctors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xw8B_EhFN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-2N9qIvgus

Christy Moore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wnEVoyukU4

Hothouse Flowers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3oWuIEAGaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiaS4PEC4MM

You could argue it covers a spectrum from pure acoustic folk to folk rock, and there are plenty of others who have borrowed the sound

The Christians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfcDJNElrl4

Mike Oldfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoqQAc2pDQc

I'm not so keen on Enya

I guess what I am asking is, what do you mean by 'Celtic'

There are only 2 types of music - either you know the answer to this or you don't
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM

people who aren't peppy hate it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

I enjoy Celtic Woman. Its on regular rotation on my player.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:38 PM

True Celtic music isn't hated. (Couldn't help it).
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Just listen to Caledonia by Dougie Maclean. If you don't think it's great, I don't want to know you.
I had never heard of Dougie Maclean before I saw him perform at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in 2007. It was a highlight of the weekend. At one point, he told a story about the Lewis Chessmen. They were discovered in 1831 on the Isle of Lewis, off the coast of Scotland.

Maclean explained that he was fascinated with the ancient chess pieces and ended up ordering a set of replicas. When they arrived he opened the box and lined them up on his kitchen table. As he gazed at them he thought they looked like they were marching somewhere. He was inspired to write a song, "Marching Mystery" which he was going to perform for us.

"And so," he said, "to add some atmosphere* I brought some of them with me from Scotland."

He then placed a few of the pieces at the front of the stage and played Marching Mystery. As I said, it was a highlight of the festival.

*Add some atmosphere? !? As if that story you just told wasn't enough?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
There are only 2 types of music - either you know the answer to this or you don't
Country and Western?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
*shrug* I prefer the original.

Enough with the Irish and Scottish music! Where are the Welsh, the Cornish, and the Bretons?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM

Some Celtic music is definitely considered cool. You could successfully name drop Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly among any appropriately hip and pretentious crowd of musically serious people. According to Wikipedia those bands belong to a genre known as "Diaspora Celtic Punk."

Dropkick Murphys are fun. I'm a pretty big fan of Flogging Molly. A sampling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTN3ODSCEuo
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM

I listen to it very rarely but its better than most other genres.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 AM

What's not to like?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

I like Enya and Black 47 has a sort of charm--but those are not what I assume people mean. Enya is new age, Black 47 is...alternative? "Celtic" is a silly term, like calling rock'n'roll "Black." Would you call U2's music "Celtic," even at their folkiest?

I don't really like glurgy overproduced string-based folk-rooted...stuff the way other people really, really like glurgy overproduced string-based folk-rooted stuff. I don't know what it is, but if someone says they really like Celtic music, I assume we are not going to agree.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 02-08-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

No, I do know what it is. It's this business of selling a "Celtic" cultural identity beyond the muzak itself, an identity I consciously reject.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

I prefer Celtic music without lyrics. Usually the lyrical kind go a bit too far into hippy dippy for my tastes. Give me a jig on a fiddle any time*.

*Oo-er, sounds a bit rude
Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 AM

Is Shaun Davey's the Parting Glass considered Celtic? Cause that is a darn good song.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
I think this is one of those "what do you mean by _____" questions. For a lot of people, smooth jazz IS jazz, and ergo widely hated; you wouldn't say the same about John Coltrane and Duke Ellington. I wouldn't think groups like Gaelic Storm or The Chieftains would go down as "widely hated" in many circles, but for many, lighter-weight fare IS Celtic music, and that's gonna draw some scowls.
Very true, I have a serious dislike to the xylophone soft jazz that was so common in travelogues in the late 60s/early 70s, and heartily dislike Enya's soft wafty unsupported attempt at singing. I do like Thelonius Monk, and am currently listening to a compilation disc with the Chieftains, some planxtys by a friend and some bagpipe music.

[actually I like most music that many people dislike, like bagpipe music and noh plays. ]
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Here are Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas playing Grand Etang / Hull's Reel,

The Battlefield Band performing The Yew Tree,

The Chieftains playing Carolan's Concerto,

and Jean Redpath singing Hishie Ba.

So yes, I like Celtic music. To me it's sad that people think it's limited to the dumbed-down crap they play during pledge drives on PBS.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Quite a while back I dated a woman who was into things Celtic. We did some fun things but kept ending up in bars and pubs and dances with what I guess would be the folkier end of Celtic music. It sent her into raptures, but like a lot of musical forms (dixieland being another) about ten minutes of it serves me a long, long time. I've heard most of the performers mentioned in this thread and can't think of one that's outside that "a little is good" feeling.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Enya was more Celtic when she was with her family group, Clannad. They sang a lot of songs in Irish. When she went out on her own she became more New Age.

But I like Enya for what it is and I like most Celtic music.

But I also like bagpipes so, take it as you will.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Berlin had a surprising number of Irish bars back in the day - I guess the Irish like to drink?

In any case, I rarely went to any of them - despite them being quite nicely designed and fairly popular - as I couldn't stand the endless "diddley diddley dee" Irish folk music that was played, non-stop, in every one of those bars - with the maudlin "Oh Danny Boy" thrown in every once in awhile to cause the drunks to weep openly.

This kind of Irish folk music is OK, in really small doses - but not if you sit in an Irish bar for longer than 15 minutes.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Since this is morphing into "Celtic Music I Like", here's Anne Briggs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6x2S8comEU
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
I like Enya and Black 47 has a sort of charm--but those are not what I assume people mean. Enya is new age, Black 47 is...alternative? "Celtic" is a silly term, like calling rock'n'roll "Black." Would you call U2's music "Celtic," even at their folkiest?
I wouldn't call U2's music "Celtic." They are, of course, Irish, but they're not doing Celtic music. Their music has no roots in traditional Celtic music the way Black 47's music does, or the Pogue's music does.

Black 47 does echo traditional music, sometimes, in their songs, and they often use traditional instruments (the bodhran, the uillean pipes, the pennywhistle) and the lyrical content is definitely Celtic (and specifically Irish). Songs like "Fire of Freedom" and "It's Time to Go" are pretty Irish (although that has little or nothing to do with whether or not the music is "Celtic").

Another Celtic rock band, Great Big Sea, has even more traditional content, even if that content comes from a branch (Newfoundland, Cape Breton) of the Celtic tree rather than from the root.

Last edited by Saintly Loser; 02-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Berlin had a surprising number of Irish bars back in the day - I guess the Irish like to drink?
You don't have to leave Ireland to know that.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Conan was so young and not famous!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
And eat shite shit (I hate you people for changing my vocabulary). I was chatting with a woman in Belfast today whose business is to spread the value of good nutrition among the Irish. I mentioned that I was raised on Irish cuisine and blessed her in her impossible quest.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
There's the "Celtic" that's misty New-Ageish folderol. Then there are the Chieftains & the Dubliners. And the Pogues....
It's the misty new-age bullshit I was commenting on when I made the comment in that thread.

I think the term "Celtic music" is a bit stupid anyway. What's a Celt? Who are Celts?

There's Scottish folk music in English, Scots, and Scots Gaelic. There's Irish folk music in English and Irish Gaelic. There's English folk music, Welsh etc. Then there's the music of the "Celtic" diaspora in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, etc. Then there's a plethora of bands, playing all over the world, that take some influences of the folk and trad musics of these countries and combines them with whatever else.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryofEvil View Post
Some Celtic music is definitely considered cool. You could successfully name drop Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly among any appropriately hip and pretentious crowd of musically serious people. According to Wikipedia those bands belong to a genre known as "Diaspora Celtic Punk."

Dropkick Murphys are fun. I'm a pretty big fan of Flogging Molly. A sampling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTN3ODSCEuo
Hipsters/pretentious folk here would think those bands are shit. The Pogues pretty much created the genre and nobody since has been able to go next nor near them in quality.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 AM

I just realised that the term "Celtic music" probably makes way more sense in North America than it does among these benighted isles.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
BANNED

In that old movie The Last Wave the theme is about how disconnected and artificial Australian white people are, compared to the aborigines who are all spiritual and centered. As a scene showing the aborigines fades out, there's driving tribal drum music playing: then the scene fades into a Irish bar in Sydney, showing that the drumming is coming from a bodhran.

The New-agey stuff is annoying as is anything appealing to ill-educated yet affluent consumers ("look what I found at the store: Tuscan salt!"). But besides that, I think there was a thing in the 60's-70's when Black and Hispanic people could claim that their culture and music was vibrant and authentic, while white people were Lawrence Welk and the Doodletown Pipers. Celtic music was a way for a lot of white people to feel all tribal & shit, too.

Last edited by Slithy Tove; 02-09-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 AM

My brother in law made something of a living playing in a number of Irish bands in the Twin Cities. It is popular enough to make a living at if you work at it.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove View Post
I think there was a thing in the 60's-70's when Black and Hispanic people could claim that their culture and music was vibrant and authentic, while white people were Lawrence Welk and the Doodletown Pipers. Celtic music was a way for a lot of white people to feel all tribal & shit, too.
Yeah, I long ago realized my ethnicity was Suburban. Drop me anywhere and I'll find the mall in 15 minutes.