Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Why Aren't Toilets made of Plastic?

Ceramic toilets are durable-but they weigh a ton. Couldn't they make them out of fiberglass reinforced plastics? the weight savings would be nice, and they probably would cost less to make. are there any?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Once plastic is scratched, it's much harder to clean.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Plastic is porous, not something you often look for in a crap receptacle.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Porta-Potties are made from some kind of fiberglass/plastic material. I don't know how long their service lives are.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

How often you need to move a toilet? Once or twice a decade?

Porcelain is impervious, doesn't scratch, doesn't degrade, doesn't absorb and release various substances, and on and on.

If you're so displeased by how heavy your porcelain fixture is, you can dig a hole in the backyard and do your business there.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Here's Gizmodo's take on the question, which names the above reasons and a few others.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Or, for that matter, Plexiglass?

Borderline NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-nGVqNciE

This song was the #1 request on the "Dr. Demento Show" for many years. People generally do not believe it really exists until they hear it. And yes, it is by the same band that did "Lady", "Come Sail Away", and even "Mr. Roboto".

Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Or, for that matter, Plexiglass?

Borderline NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-nGVqNciE

This song was the #1 request on the "Dr. Demento Show" for many years. People generally do not believe it really exists until they hear it. And yes, it is by the same band that did "Lady", "Come Sail Away", and even "Mr. Roboto".

That is a fascinating bit of trivia.

Any reason the tank can't be made from a lighter, possibly cheaper, material?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM

I prefer the latest in front wall fresh air orifices combined with a wide capacity gutter installation below.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 PM

You don't have to clean toilets on any kind of regular basis, do you?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Behold, the carbon fiber toilet.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
Ouch! I'd shit in a coffee can before I'd spend $10,000 on a toilet.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:33 AM

Some people weigh 300# pounds.

On more than one occasion, I'm sure they are known to just "plop down", full force.

What plastic did you have in mind?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 AM

They're made of stainless steel in utilitarian situations where aesthetics aren't required (prisons), so I think SS is at least as practical, but ceramics win on appearance.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Nothing beats the comfort of a velour toilet. The fact that it's a single use item makes it cost prohibitive for most.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM

They have plastic toilets in Japan. Not exclusively, but they seem to be fairly common in hotels. They're heated and include a built-in bidet and some other stuff. Really, it's more accurate to say they have plastic bathrooms in Japan. I suspect if the toilet broke they'd replace the entire bathroom as a single unit.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmonk
Porta-Potties are made from some kind of fiberglass/plastic material. I don't know how long their service lives are.
All of the ones I've seen are made of thick, but fairly soft plastic that can be blow-molded - probably something like high density polyethylene. It's tough, resilient, long-lasting, etc., but it can be easily scratched. This isn't a problem for how porta-johns are serviced, but unless you spray and scrub your bathroom with disinfectant than blast the room with a hose to rinse it all out, it's not so good for home use.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Nothing beats the comfort of a velour toilet. The fact that it's a single use item makes it cost prohibitive for most.
Think of all the money you save on toilet paper, though!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Any true elimination connoisseur knows that the way to save money on toilet paper is to keep a flock of geese on hand.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmonk View Post
I'd say between 300-400 dumps.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
They're made of stainless steel in utilitarian situations where aesthetics aren't required (prisons), so I think SS is at least as practical, but ceramics win on appearance.
Or naval vessels.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 PM

What gets me is that the seal that connects the toilet to the plumbing is just a hunk of soft wax. No need for space age materials when you can just smush a wax ring out with the weight of a 100 pound ceramic throne.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
What gets me is that the seal that connects the toilet to the plumbing is just a hunk of soft wax. No need for space age materials when you can just smush a wax ring out with the weight of a 100 pound ceramic throne.
Kudos to the wax-ring inventor and the "s" trap dude. Fairly simple ideas that work great and haven't really been improved upon.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
Ceramic toilets are durable-but they weigh a ton.
I'm a little late to this thread, but I just want to say that I recently did major renovations on a house.
It's a stressful process:
There are many,many problems to be overcome, and huge bills to pay to contractors.You invest massive amounts of energy and time. You lose time from your job causing strain with your boss, and you spend too much time with the spouse( arguing about colors and fabrics), causing strain to your love life.

But I want to proclaim loudly and proudly:
Never once, not for a single moment of time, did I worry about how much the toilets weigh.

Last edited by chappachula; 12-29-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
I'm a little late to this thread, but I just want to say that I recently did major renovations on a house.
It's a stressful process:
There are many,many problems to be overcome, and huge bills to pay to contractors.You invest massive amounts of energy and time. You lose time from your job causing strain with your boss, and you spend too much time with the spouse( arguing about colors and fabrics), causing strain to your love life.

But I want to proclaim loudly and proudly:
Never once, not for a single moment of time, did I worry about how much the toilets weigh.
How very profound!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
How very profound!
I want to echo chappachula - having done a major upgrade of the entire lower floor of our house, which involved literally months of umm-ing and aaah-ing over kitchen and bathroom items, it never even occurred to me to wonder how much the toilet weighed. Size, colour, shape, positioning in the room, integration with the desired cistern arrangement, delivery from the vendor, coordination with the sink choice - of a long long list of considerations, weight of a fixed in-house lavatory simply did not appear. As far as I can remember, weight wasn't even shown in the catalogs.
Has it occurred to you that this is considered a non-issue by pretty much the entire rest of the world? i.e. no-one other than you gives a crap?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe View Post
Some people weigh 300# pounds.

On more than one occasion, I'm sure they are known to just "plop down", full force.

What plastic did you have in mind?
Installing a toilet stable is not always simple either, floors are often not very flat, and there are usually just two little bolts holding the thing down. The weight and rigidity of porcelain make it easier to stabilize.

Also about the plastic - show me anything made of plastic with 1-2" thick walls. The volume of plastic we are talking about here is huge.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphead View Post
no-one other than you gives a crap?

That Gizmodo link mentions that Stainless toilets would feel very cold, since steel conducts heat very well. If not for that, I have no doubt there would be designer stainless toilets available, the same way there are stainless appliances. (Maybe there actually are, I didn't check.)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM

I had a plastic toilet when I lived in Florida. If it wasn't plastic, it was something besides porcelain.

It stained quite frequently. I hated it.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
I'd say between 300-400 dumps.
No way--many more. I've been at public events where people line up all day to use a "potty," for many days in a row. The units don't break down there!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
All of the ones I've seen are made of thick, but fairly soft plastic that can be blow-molded - probably something like high density polyethylene. It's tough, resilient, long-lasting, etc., but it can be easily scratched. This isn't a problem for how porta-johns are serviced, but unless you spray and scrub your bathroom with disinfectant than blast the room with a hose to rinse it all out, it's not so good for home use.
Actually, I think Japanese bathrooms are specifically built to be hosed down in a similar manner. Kitchens in the other parts of the world are also built this way, negating the need to wipe them down!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM

Do you want a guest who weighs 400lbs using your pretty good plastic toilet or your completely proven ceramic toilet?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
How often you need to move a toilet? Once or twice a decade?
How often do you need to move a bathtub or shower? Yet those are more often made of plastic nowadays. And the lids of toilets are most commonly plastic, too.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I prefer the latest in front wall fresh air orifices combined with a wide capacity gutter installation below.
You mean you crap out a window?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
You mean you crap out a window?
The old ways are best.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
How often do you need to move a bathtub or shower? Yet those are more often made of plastic nowadays. And the lids of toilets are most commonly plastic, too.
But most people don't shit in their bathtubs either, so the ease of cleaning is not as big a deal. Plus, tubs are much bigger than toilets, so weight might be more of a concern for them given the difficulty in moving one to install it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 PM

You sit in a tub. You sit on a toilet. One needs a lot more strength than the other to support a person's weight.

I've never seen a plastic tub, though. Not saying I doubt they exist, just I'm not sure they're nearly as common as being said. Plastic (or something like that) shower stalls yeah, those I've seen. Can't say if I've seen a shower stall that wasn't like that.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
But most people don't shit in their bathtubs
Most? Most?

Most?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
But most people don't shit in their bathtubs ...
Hmm. Is it "Shit in the toilet and sit in the tub" or "Sit on the toilet and shit in the tub"? I can never keep that straight.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
You sit in a tub. You sit on a toilet. One needs a lot more strength than the other to support a person's weight.

I've never seen a plastic tub, though. Not saying I doubt they exist, just I'm not sure they're nearly as common as being said. Plastic (or something like that) shower stalls yeah, those I've seen. Can't say if I've seen a shower stall that wasn't like that.
When we refitted our bathroom three or four years ago pretty much all the bathtubs we looked at were plastic. Fibreglass reinforced acrylic seemed to be the norm: http://www.bathstore.com/products/ba.../acrylic-baths
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I don't understand the distinction. You sit on the bottom of the tub, so clearly it needs to hold as much weight as the toilet does. It also needs to hold the weight of a lot of water.

That said I don't think plastic tubs are common either. Perhaps a plastic covering around a stronger structure.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 PM

The weight might be distributed differently, especially since a tub will usually be filled with water. Also, do modern tubs actually hold anything off the floor, or do they sit flush with it and provide a water-tight container to keep the water off of the ceiling in the room below?