Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

No, a 42oz bag of M&Ms will in fact NOT last for several months.

So I'm at the store. I notice a big giant bag of M&Ms on sale for $9. I thought to myself: "Those would look really cool in that candy dish I never use.". So, on a whim, I bought it.

When I got home, I had the right of mind to not put the candy dish on the coffee table. As it would be too easy to lean over from the couch and grab a handful. So I set the dish up on the bar and out of reach. That way, if I wanted an M&M, I'd have to get up off my fat ass to get one.

At the time, I thought using this strategy, the M&Ms would last for several months. They lasted two weeks.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Heh. I'm always when I go to friends' houses and they still have cake from a birthday earlier that week. IOW, you did well -- two weeks is a long time!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Ha!

Yeah earlier this year my dad was going to Walgreens while I was visiting and he asked if I wanted anything, as he always does. And I was like "a big-ass bag of peanut M&M's." My dad is always willing to oblige so he comes home with the 42oz party bag just for ME to take home.

I think for the first couple days I skipped lunch because I was full up on peanut M&M's (hey, protein!)

But I eventually put the bag away in a cupboard and yeah they lasted about 2 weeks. Not for lack of trying

Hey at least you got a lot of exercise from getting up to reach the bowl, huh?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

The same thing happens to me when I try to buy heroin in bulk.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 AM

I'm the opposite. I have thrown out candy which went chalky and dried out(chocolate) or absorbed too much moisture and became chewy(toffee) in the past because I just don't eat much candy at all. Savory is my poison. I will go through nachos and jerky like most people go through M&Ms.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 AM

The idea of not eating an entire bowl of M&Ms that's just... sitting out is completely foreign to me. Don't understand it even a little bit. My brain just isn't wired that way. It's why I don't buy snacks hardly at all, let alone in bulk.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtgman View Post
I'm the opposite. I have thrown out candy which went chalky and dried out(chocolate) or absorbed too much moisture and became chewy(toffee) in the past because I just don't eat much candy at all. Savory is my poison. I will go through nachos and jerky like most people go through M&Ms.

Enjoy,
Steven
You've used words that are familiar but the way you arranged them does not make any sense to me.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Several months? I'd've made a major dent in that bag during the car ride home.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Several months? I'd've made a major dent in that bag during the car ride home.
That was my thought as well.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Next time, fill the candy dish with pretty marbles and leave the M&Ms at the store.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Next time, fill the candy dish with pretty marbles and leave the M&Ms at the store.
Sounds like a good way to chip a tooth.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
The idea of not eating an entire bowl of M&Ms that's just... sitting out is completely foreign to me. Don't understand it even a little bit. My brain just isn't wired that way. It's why I don't buy snacks hardly at all, let alone in bulk.
Seriously. And with M&Ms there's no wrappers to slow you down.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 PM

First of all, I have never been brave enough to attempt the whole candy dish thing. It sounds almost torturous.

I have, however, had the good fortune/misfortune to have been gifted sweet things, such as a box of chocolates. In those cases, I eat the chocolate at a furious pace. My rationale is that as soon as the chocolate is finished, I will no longer be distracted by the knowledge that there's chocolate in the house.

Though I have also been known to throw out a batch of brownies after eating one or two, using the same rationale: Once it's gone, I'll stop thinking about. This method is a lot healthier, and I should probably employ it more often.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:16 PM

When I was a kid in the '50s, we used to go out on both nights of Halloween, to every house in our extended neighborhood. We each wound up with 4 paper shopping bags filled with candy. You'd think that would last all year. Nope, only a month or two.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I am the same way with chocolate*. If it exists in the house I shall consume it immediately. I have to learn to buy less of it.

*Though not M&Ms, as I do not like them
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I'm the opposite. I have thrown out candy which went chalky and dried out(chocolate) or absorbed too much moisture and became chewy(toffee) in the past because I just don't eat much candy at all.
Concur. My mom still gives me Easter candy, and every year I find last year's basket in my pantry, which I've only half eaten. I don't dislike candy, but I have no desire to eat unlimited amounts of it. I can eat unlimited amounts of nachos and jerky.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:53 PM

I don't really like regular M&Ms, but my brother in law always has a large bag of them and I can't seem to stop eating them when I visit.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Enjoy,
Steven
+1

I was a big kid, and people used to always joke about how much candy I always had stashed away. They never realized that the reason I always had so much candy is because I never ate any of it.

The reason I was a big kid is that I could eat two Tony's pizzas for dinner every night for a week and once made a sandwich for lunch out of a loaf of French bread and a pound of bacon.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Concur. My mom still gives me Easter candy, and every year I find last year's basket in my pantry, which I've only half eaten. I don't dislike candy, but I have no desire to eat unlimited amounts of it. I can eat unlimited amounts of nachos and jerky.
I'm the same way with the Halloween candy I buy to give out. I used to bring the leftovers to work but now that I'm retired they just sit around. I often find that I still have some of last year's Halloween candy still around when I'm getting ready for this year's Halloween. And, yes, that includes bags of M&M's.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:34 PM

I want to know who the heck has candy dishes anymore. My grandmother gave up on her Depression-glass dish full of Werther's Original circa 1992. I haven't seen one since.

Last edited by Sattua; 02-19-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Elephant Whisperer

This is why we don't have a candy bowl. I bet I could eat a 42oz bag of M&Ms in one sitting.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
both nights of Halloween
The what now? I feel like someone just casually mentioned the extra day off they get between Tuesday and Wednesday every week, and no one else reacted.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
The what now? I feel like someone just casually mentioned the extra day off they get between Tuesday and Wednesday every week, and no one else reacted.
Beggars' Night?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
This is why we don't have a candy bowl. I bet I could eat a 42oz bag of M&Ms in one sitting.
Me too. I'm a binger. That's why I don't ever allow those kind of quantities in the house.
M&Ms don't really tempt me much though anyway. Give me some chocolate covered cranberries and I'm in trouble.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
I want to know who the heck has candy dishes anymore. My grandmother gave up on her Depression-glass dish full of Werther's Original circa 1992. I haven't seen one since.
I have one on my desk at school. A nice silver bowl on a wood stand that says "USC Invitational - 3rd Place Sweepstakes 1992." I keep lollipops in it.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

We've had a 48 oz cylinder of Jelly Belllies for about two weeks. They'll be gone in a few more days.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 PM

We used to split them up by color and do statistical analysis of regular vs. peanut distribution to slow us down. (Us - as in 4 slightly post college [RPI] guys with stomachs growing like tumors). I've mentioned before that we would pay for empty boxes of Central Market chocolate cookies consumed walking through the store. These had crack as an ingredient.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:51 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I have an M&M gumball machine type dispenser. It looks like this:

http://www.evergreen-co.com/mm/photos/Pict07365.jpg

It will dispense M&Ms even if you don't put a coin in it though, so the only limit is how much you want to turn the knob.

I end up emptying it a lot faster than I thought I would when I bought it.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I will eat candy eventually, but I'm pretty moderate about it. When I was a kid, my Halloween haul would usually last until some time after Christmas. I pretty much only eat one serving of candy a day, unless I'm visiting someone and there's a candy tray and I'm not otherwise busy. And the size of the serving doesn't actually even matter much: If I have fun-sized candy bars around the house, or mini-size, or full size, my serving size is "one candy bar" regardless.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Re: No, a 42oz bag of M&Ms will in fact NOT last for several months.

It will if you don't like chocolate that much...

Now, a 42oz bag of SweeTarts Chewy Sours, on the other hand? That might not last me all the way through the Kings/Nuggets game on Tuesday night.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Enjoy,
Steven
I'm with you. I could go through an entire bag of corn chips with salsa in one sitting. And I nearly have, several times recently. No wonder I've gained 300 pounds during this pandemic.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
I always cut mine with baby laxative to make it last longer.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Any size can be a single serving if you are motivated enough.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

We have a 42 oz. bag of Peanut M&Ms that has lasted almost a month. Mainly because my lock-down therapy is baking cookies.

Last edited by silenus; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

A reccurent dream I have is eating all the candy I'd like. I'd rather have Reeses pieces, tho'.
If my dream is to be believed, I've eaten several bowls at one sitting.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

I like those little bitty Reese's cups at Christmas. But I hate unwrapping the little boogers! Then I saw an ad for a bag of UNWRAPPED cups! Oh, I thought, I need that.

Then my brain returned to my head.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; Yesterday at 12:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

My weakness is almond M&Ms. Forget the plain or peanut.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I always cut mine with baby laxative to make it last longer.
One suspects that might work with M&Ms as well...
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

What, cut the M&Ms with heroin?

Might make them less addictive...
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
We have a 42 oz. bag of Peanut M&Ms that has lasted almost a month. Mainly because my lock-down therapy is baking cookies.
IMO, you need a cookie recipe that includes peanut M&M's as an ingredient.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I have some friends who do that, and whenever they travel and I go over to their place to feed their cats, I'm always tempted to indulge. I know they wouldn't mind if I did (they always offer me some when I come over and they're there) but that's just not good manners IMNSHO.

If I have chocolate in the house, I'll eat it. I'm kind of glad they shrunk the bags from 1 pound to 11 ounces, or whatever, because that's fewer calories that I don't need.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

One of my hobbies is making liquor infusions. The end product tastes like candy (or fresh fruit, or any number of delicious things depending on what you put in it) and will get you hammered if you aren't careful. I've had people ask me how long it lasts, which is sort of understandable because some of the ingredients are perishable... but I have no freaking clue. In my house, a bottle might last 2 weeks. But it doesn't go bad; it goes away.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

M & Ms? They don't last long around me either.

On the other hand I have a plastic container with Atomic Fireball candies that over 10 years old. I tried one the other day and they still pretty potent. I don't think it is possible for them to go bad if kept in a sealed containter.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Do zombies eat M&Ms?
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Do zombies eat M&Ms?
Maybe they're still working through the 42oz bag they bought back in 2016?
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

I found a 62oz jar of peanut m&m's on Amazon. I like it because it seals tightly.

I transfer some M&M's to a quart ziploc for the den. Snack for tv.

So far I've been able to limit my consumption. I feel guilty if the Ziploc empties too quickly. It works for me.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Sounds like a good way to chip a tooth.

Think of the fiber...! Also, of all the tricks you can play passing them.

< Clack! >

"Honey...? What's that funny clacking noise...?"
"I don't know what you mean."

< Clack! > < Clack! >

"That...! That noise. Is something wrong with one of the pipes?"
"Err... <looks down> <looks up> ... not that I can tell, Dear."

< Clack! >