Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Going to a Warm Weather Vacation in Winter: Is it Worse When You Get Back?

For those of you who have gone on a vacation to a nice warm place in the middle of a cold winter: is it worse when you get back then if you had never gone?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

We went to Cuba a couple of years ago for Christmas. Came back to -30 C and a snowstorm. (It was so cold the luggage door on the plane froze shut and we had to wait an extra hour to get our luggage.)

It was well worth it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

We spent last week in Puerto Rico, and got home last night. It snowed here today.

It's nice to be cool and not-sweaty. I don't think it feels colder than it would have if we hadn't gone. There's definitely a contrast, but we like it up here. (And we totally dug PR, too.)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:06 PM

It's worth it to get some sun and heat. Yeah, re-entry is a bitch. It's still worth it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 PM

I'll let you know - right now I'm in Australia and will return to the northeast U.S. in about 10 days.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I live in the Boston area where people, especially me, take vacations to the warmer climes during the winter months. Many of them, including me again, develop some serious relocation plans during those trips. Yes it is worth it. Seasonal affective disorder is a real thing and spending a week in the Caribbean, Central America or Mexico can work wonders to break up the seemingly endless New England winter.

It is still going to suck when you get back but that is much less worse than not going at all and you will have full stores of vitamin D to combat the suckitude until it gets better at home.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 12-05-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Well, if you're feeling suicidal over lack of sun and vitamin D, getting a week of sun is awesome. The return sucks, but doesn't suck as bad as if you had continuous clouds for months on end
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM

Each January we spend a week or two in St Martin.

Returning home, average temps drop from 80 to 10. It sucks. The cold feels colder for about a week and I whine about it.

C'est la vie.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM

I live in Canada and travel south regularly.
I have spent ~2 weeks in Florida every winter for the last 5 years.
Back in my 20s, I went to Florida or Mexico almost every year.

I'd say it's much better going than not going at all. The break from the cold, miserable and dreary weather really helps to keep your mental health. I usually feel great for a week or two before the doldrums set in.
Of course, if you go later in the season, it's possible that when you come back spring has begun.

This year I'm in Florida for two weeks over Christmas and then 10 days in Costa Rica in March!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM

With one exception, I have spent 2 or 3 weeks in Barbados every year since 2001. Since I keep going back, you have to believe that I think it worth it. You might as well ask if I regret summer because it interrupts winter. I figure that the less winter I get the better. Of course YMMV.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Hm...

Were this last year, or the year before last, it wouldn't have been so bad. We missed out on Winter the last two years. This year, it looks like we're having a 'normal' Winter. So when I started work this morning, it was 24ºF. Kind of missing being hot and sweaty right now...
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM

In Hawai'i right now. I understand it snowed right after we left. I'm assuming it will again after we get back.

I haven't ever noticed a re-entry pain, although my husband is busily making plans for acquiring a second house over here.

In general, we tend to like the climate where live, so it's nice to here, and nice to get home. I'll confirm again in a few days.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:02 PM

I vote, totally worth it.

Quote:
Each January we spend a week or two in St Martin.
do you have an opening in your family unit?

Last edited by JackieLikesVariety; 12-07-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Well, if you're feeling suicidal over lack of sun and vitamin D, getting a week of sun is awesome. The return sucks, but doesn't suck as bad as if you had continuous clouds for months on end
Back when I lived in gray+snow country that was my attitude.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 AM

You would return to the cold weather after a few weeks in the Caribbean in winter?

Cold is when I need to close the windows at night.

I had Christmas off last year and I traveled even closer to the equator!

Iggy - 14 years in Cayman
Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM

When we lived in Kashmir, we used to run to the Maldives in December for a week. They had to drag us kicking and screaming to the plane for the flight back.

Last edited by AK84; 12-08-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

It's all in the definition of "warm weather". Clan Piper is currently on a warm weather vacation in London and Paris. For us, temps of 5 to 15 degrees in December is warm weather! Facebook posts from friends back home indicate they're dealing with temps of -30 C, -40 C with windchill. Curiously, they're no longer responding to our posts about the lovely weather we're having…

ETA: to reply to the OP, we're hoping we won't be having a rough re-entry on return, but are willing to take the chance!

ETA 2: Mrs Piper just advised that Enviro Canada has issued an extreme cold weather warning for all of southern Sask: now predicting -43C.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 12-17-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

We've done this several times and wish we could do so again. We have usually gone in late January or early February. Through the bitter nastiness of January we tell ourselves, "Yes, but in a few weeks we'll be warm!" When we get back, we tell ourselves, "It's only a few weeks until spring!"
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Whether I'm living in the cold or the warm part of the country that pesky job thing still involves visiting the cold part pretty often. Or at least it did.

I usually asked for annual vacation in February. Other guys would look at me like I was nuts; they wanted summer off to travel with kids. Or they wanted Thanksgiving through Christmas off to be with the kids. Or something. Vacation in February was heresy; nobody in their right mind would want that!

Not having kids, my only goal was to avoid spending all of February slogging around in the snow and ice and delays and cancellations and diverts. Wife and I would go to the Bahamas or Mexico or ... for most of the month.

I'd get back with a tan and work would be full of war stories like: "I got stuck in that big ice storm in Dayton last week. Took 2 extra days to get home. How about you?" "Me? I missed that. I was too busy drinking Pusser's Rum on a catamaran sunset booze cruise."

By far the best part about winter is being elsewhere while it happens. If you can avoid all 3-5 months of it, great. If not, avoid as much as you can even if it's only 3 days.

My bottom line: It's definitely better to return to winter than to have never left it at all.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-17-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
Whether I'm living in the cold or the warm part of the country that pesky job thing still involves visiting the cold part pretty often. Or at least it did.

I usually asked for annual vacation in February. Other guys would look at me like I was nuts; they wanted summer off to travel with kids. Or they wanted Thanksgiving through Christmas off to be with the kids. Or something. Vacation in February was heresy; nobody in their right mind would want that!

Not having kids, my only goal was to avoid spending all of February slogging around in the snow and ice and delays and cancellations and diverts. Wife and I would go to the Bahamas or Mexico or ... for most of the month.

I'd get back with a tan and work would be full of war stories like: "I got stuck in that big ice storm in Dayton last week. Took 2 extra days to get home. How about you?" "Me? I missed that. I was too busy drinking Pusser's Rum on a catamaran sunset booze cruise."

By far the best part about winter is being elsewhere while it happens. If you can avoid all 3-5 months of it, great. If not, avoid as much as you can even if it's only 3 days.

My bottom line: It's definitely better to return to winter than to have never left it at all.
I am with you on that. I live in New England. Summer is fine and I have a pool. Every day can be a vacation after work if I want and all day on the weekends. Other people pay stupid amounts of money to be here during that time after all. The month of Fall is really fun (I say that because it is still technically Fall right now even though I am almost snowed in). The holiday season works out pretty well too because I work in a seasonal line of work and I am happy to be there when you don't have to do much of anything and can leave early without taking any vacation days.

OTOH, January and February suck. There are no good holidays and the weather ranges from terrible to horrific. That is when I hit the road. Whether it is Costa Rica, Florida, New Orleans or the Virgin Islands, it is all good and very necessary for a white boy like me to recharge with some sunshine.

The additional bonus is that few people travel during that time of the year so you can get some really good deals and avoid beginning of year meetings.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
The holiday season works out pretty well too because I work in a seasonal line of work and I am happy to be there when you don't have to do much of anything and can leave early without taking any vacation days.
and avoid beginning of year meetings.
In the military it was common knowledge that lots of folks really, really wanted to take leave over the Holidays. Absent a war commanders loved to give out holiday leave to their key people, the real hard chargers. It was one of the few benefits they really controlled.

The smarter folks figured out pretty quickly that because so many key people were away most useful work ended around 15Dec and didn't resume until about 5Jan. So by not taking leave then you could pretty much blow off actual effort the whole time and just hang around until noon each day then go home.

Then you take leave in Jan just after everybody gets back and is crazy flailing to catch up and to get the New Year off right. Meanwhile you're elsewhere. By late Jan they're all caught up, you're well rested, and things at work are back to the normal grind. So then you return from leave. And not a day before.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-17-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
It's all in the definition of "warm weather". Clan Piper is currently on a warm weather vacation in London and Paris. For us, temps of 5 to 15 degrees in December is warm weather! Facebook posts from friends back home indicate they're dealing with temps of -30 C, -40 C with windchill. Curiously, they're no longer responding to our posts about the lovely weather we're having…

ETA: to reply to the OP, we're hoping we won't be having a rough re-entry on return, but are willing to take the chance!

ETA 2: Mrs Piper just advised that Enviro Canada has issued an extreme cold weather warning for all of southern Sask: now predicting -43C.
The -43C isn't the actual temperature, just the wind chill. And no prediction, that was the actual conditions this morning when I left Regina to drive back to Saskatoon. Actual temperature was a mere -32C. Still took till Craik before I turned the heater fan down from the highest setting.

However, you're in luck. The temperature's supposed to break tomorrow, heading all the way up to -10, with the rest of the long-range forecast floating in single digits. Shouldn't be any huge shock to your systems.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

::steeples fingers::

[Monty Burns] Excellent! Smithers, look at those poor little human popsicles. My plan worked! [/Monty Burns]

Last edited by Northern Piper; 12-18-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:17 AM

In February 1998 I witnessed a glorious solar eclipse on the island of Guadeloupe, and spent a few days in the nearby island of Martinique. That same week my husband was on a business trip to Southeast Asia. We both returned to a brutal winter storm. It was worth it.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Every other year we like to go away, usually for Dec + Jan. And our favorite destination is usually somewhere in SEAsia. After a couple of months you get really acclimated to the tropical temps. Returning to our home city, end of Jan, (in the middle if the snow belt) often isn't pretty. We've returned to awful ice storms, closed highways even polar vortex. (You know it's cold in Canada when you're hearing about it on some quiet little island without roads, on the Andaman sea! Yipes!)

Yes, it can be a rough transition. I barely leave my house for a few weeks, going into full hibernation mode! But I adjust, eventually. (Sometimes I think the hard part is everyone cracking wise, "What the matter? You cold?", when I'm quite obviously freezing!)

But since I have a wicked tan and two LESS months of winter to face, I definitely think it's worth the pain of reentry.

( When I first started travelling this part of the world, 30 yrs ago, I ALWAYS timed my vacations so I'd be returning in spring or summer. I really didn't think I could face a tropic to frigid transition. But back then, we were travelling for many months at a time, so it made more sense. Now Dec/Jan makes sense for hubby's job, so that's when we go, even though it means returning for the hardest part of winter.)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

We've left Merrylande for FL many times to spend Christmas with my husband's family and we're always glad to get home, but that has nothing to do with the weather. Don't get me wrong - his folks are nice people, but we both really hate Florida after living there for a couple of decades.

One year, we did a Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore in January and it was nice, but unlike my mom and sister, we don't want to do it every year. Then again, our winters really aren't all that awful all the time. Having said that, I expect we'll be blizzarded in now for the entirety of January and February...
Old 12-18-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
For those of you who have gone on a vacation to a nice warm place in the middle of a cold winter: is it worse when you get back then if you had never gone?
Only on that monday when you start work again.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 PM

I love, love, LOVE winter, but it's a nice break from the cold when we do our annual January family visit in Tucson (Arizona). I do enjoy lounging in the backyard and going hiking in shorts, but I'm always ready to return to my cold a week later.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:12 PM

We typically take a 10-day Caribbean cruise in February, leaving the great north behind. It's quite a shock to the system both going and returning, but as others have said, totally worth it.

I take at least 3 or 4 extra days off between arriving back home and before returning to work; I think that helps.

mmm
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

We fled a very rainy dark past few months in the great Pacific Northwest to be in Jamaica for 8 days. Pretty dang nice I have to say.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM

It's always worth going. It's always nice to be home.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:54 AM

I had the opposite this year. Went to Alaska in late May. Never got above 60. Came home to Texas and it was about 100. Took a couple days to adjust.