Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 PM

Is there anything thing that actually works to ward off mosquitoes?

This summer our yard has been infested with mosquitoes that attack you even in the daytime. I have tried buying a bug zapper and a citronella candle and it has had no effect at all. I would rather not spray myself with DEET bug spray everyday. I have made sure to remove any standing water around our yard. Is there anything thing that actually works to ward off mosquitoes?

Last edited by sara20; 07-29-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM

My brother pays a service to spray his property during the summer. The impact has been amazing. Before his yard was unbearable now we can sit outside and not be bitten at all. I think it costs him $200-$300 a year.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 PM

Avon Skin So Soft.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:30 PM

It's common to try bug zappers for mosquitoes, but they won't work for them. They seek out CO2, not light. A bug zapper only works if the mosquito happens to randomly fly through it on it's way to you.

I'm not sure how to clear your backyard, but if you do get bit, you can greatly reduce the welt by holding a hot spoon on it. The heat breaks the venom down. Put a spoon in a cup of hot water to heat it up and then hold it against the bite. You want it hot, but not hot enough to burn you. Tap hot water is usually hot enough.

Last edited by filmore; 07-29-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 PM

Picaridin and IR3535 work pretty well- comparable to DEET, but without most of the side-effects.

In particular, Picaridin is pretty awesome stuff. Doesn't smell, doesn't bother your skin, doesn't melt your clothes, keeps bugs off for hours.

Repel Tick Defense is a brand-name formulation that they have at Wal-Mart that works very well.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 AM

Smoldering mosquito coils work just fine. I lived in an unscreened house in Indonesia for months, and was never bothered by mosquitoes at night.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:04 AM

If you are stationary (sitting on a deck or patio, for example), bring out a couple of big oscillating fans. This works pretty well for us.

mmm
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boytyperanma View Post
My brother pays a service to spray his property during the summer. The impact has been amazing. Before his yard was unbearable now we can sit outside and not be bitten at all. I think it costs him $200-$300 a year.
Might not matter to the you or the OP, but those services introduce some very toxic chemicals into the the outdoors that you are, supposedly, outside to enjoy. Horrible for birds.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Have you tried Smidge?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Two things.....chemicals

If you are a chemophobe you won't like my answer.

Spray your yard with bug killer you get from the hardware store...the kind that screws into a garden hose. These use a type of permethrin based chemical.

Next....suck it up and use deet. Picaridin is very good, and is my second choice, but I find it isn't as good as deet. It's well known and proven no other "non" chemical treatment ( like skin so soft) works as well if at all.

Deet is exceedingly safe to use, and after I got Lymes disease and had to suffer the EXTREMELY toxic effects of a tick borne spirochete AND the much more dangerous chemical antibiotic, It makes no sense to be afraid of deet.

Also in bad situations I spray my clothes with permethrin, the only insecticide that i know of that is safe enough to be allowed for use in restaurants.

I suspect you may not want to use chemicals....but I tell ya....it really is better than the alternative.

Last edited by Sigene; 07-30-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 AM

I've actually found a combination of essential oils (peppermint, lemongrass, and eucalyptus) added to some lotion to be pretty effective against bugs of all kinds. Much nicer than DEET.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM

The best thing to do with a bug zapper is give it to your neighbor and hope he hangs it in his yard to attract the bugs away from your property.

One citronella candle may provide some benefit if there is no wind and you stay very close to the candle. Try lighting several candles and sitting between them, or get a few of those big Tiki torches and fill them with citronella oil.

Also note that citronella candles have various amounts of citronella oil -- at my local hardware store I found 0.5%, 1.0% and 3.0% all on the same shelf at the same price.

Permethrin works; you can buy spray bottles to spray on your clothes or buy the liquid and soak clothes in it so it will last through several washes (instructions available on youtube -- search for 'treating clothes with permethrin). There are also clothes with Insect Shield built in that lasts a long time (Insect Shield is permethrin.)

Last edited by Turble; 07-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Not that it would be a reason to start, but does smoking repel mosquitoes?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 PM

Move to Southern California. Very few to no mosquitos.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:48 PM

I have no idea about the availability of this product anywhere in the world besides the Edmonton and Leduc area, but here is one product that seems safe (unless you are a vampire that can't stand garlic). Maybe that will give you something to search for.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:01 PM

There are mosquito traps that are designed to lure in and kill females (the males don't bite.) The link gives quite a bit of information on how they work and some of the challenges. Small yards might emphasize one of their problems since they limit you to putting the trap nearby. The traps work by attracting mosquitoes from the surrounding area. Sitting near one isn't necessarily the best tactic.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 PM

In addition to traps for catching live mosquitoes, there are also traps which encourage mosquitoes to lay their eggs in them but the hatched mosquitoes can't get out and they die. Anyone have any experience with those? The thought is that you create enticing places for them to lay their eggs which will die so they won't lay them somewhere else.

Here's one, but there are many others with different designs:

http://www.malarianimby.org/mosquito...-llc/index.php
Old 07-30-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
In particular, Picaridin is pretty awesome stuff. Doesn't smell, doesn't bother your skin, doesn't melt your clothes, keeps bugs off for hours.
It is, however, a neurotoxin to cats, which is especially bad considering their love of lying on people's clothes.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
It is, however, a neurotoxin to cats, which is especially bad considering their love of lying on people's clothes.
Your link is to info on permethrin, which is not the same thing as picaridin.

The only cite I could find said
Quote:
Limited information exists on picaridinís adverse effects to domestic pets. There was one laboratory study with beagle dogs, and no adverse side effects were seen. Thereís no data on toxicity to cats.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:07 AM

Become mildly anemic? I hadn't had a mosquito bite in so many years I can't count, until this summer when it was discovered I was anemic. I started taking prescription iron tablets. About two weeks in, I started getting mosquito bites. Since I felt fine before discovering I was anemic, I stopped taking the iron and I stopped being bit.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Smoldering mosquito coils work just fine. I lived in an unscreened house in Indonesia for months, and was never bothered by mosquitoes at night.
Definitely go with Mosquito Coils. Only limiting factor is a the smallish area of effect. I grew up in North Queensland (Australia) with clouds of Mozzies big enough to carry off the family dog. A couple of mozzie coils and you're set for a comfortable evening on the deck, largely mozzie free.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Your link is to info on permethrin, which is not the same thing as picaridin.

The only cite I could find said
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think I was told this previously and forgot. I'm a big fan of permethrin on my clothes, but its good to be told of the cat toxicity. I appreciate the knowledge.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
Avon Skin So Soft.
Shown not to work years ago. Like 20 years ago or so.

Seriously, the CDC recommends DEET and pecaridin as the most effective repellents.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM

It may not be feasible for your house, but a screened in porch lets you sit 'outside' without ever having to deal with a mosquito. Granted, it's not the same as being in the backyard, but at least you don't have to worry about chemical toxicity.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

These work great, and no DEET. We've been using ours all summer, and can really tell the difference when it's on.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:05 PM

Attract some bats to your property. There's a colony living in the eaves of my house and ever since they moved in last year the mosquito population has nosedived.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM

You could try attracting bats. Also chickens will eat them during the day atleast.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
That's a feature, not a bug.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara20 View Post
This summer our yard has been infested with mosquitoes that attack you even in the daytime. I have tried buying a bug zapper and a citronella candle and it has had no effect at all. I would rather not spray myself with DEET bug spray everyday. I have made sure to remove any standing water around our yard. Is there anything thing that actually works to ward off mosquitoes?

You can't beat Off.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
It's common to try bug zappers for mosquitoes, but they won't work for them. They seek out CO2, not light. A bug zapper only works if the mosquito happens to randomly fly through it on it's way to you.
So... a lot of bug zappers?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

BTI (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacill...is_israelensis) works for controlling larva, and doesn't hurt non-fly type insects.

Brian
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
So... a lot of bug zappers?
Yeah, basically, something like this personal bug zapper
Old 08-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Thick, horizontal, black and white stripes.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You can't beat Off.
Sez You.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara20 View Post
This summer our yard has been infested with mosquitoes that attack you even in the daytime.
asian "tiger" mosquitos, by any chance? with black and white stripes?

Quote:
I have tried buying a bug zapper and a citronella candle and it has had no effect at all. I would rather not spray myself with DEET bug spray everyday
You don't have to. You only need to do that on days when you anticipate opening the door and leaving the house.

I use the Deep Woods variety. Or the pure DEET variety. I think they drink the plain old ordinary Off! with the 2% DEET like it's Kool-Aid. The serious DEETy stuff tends to keep them away though, but you have to immerse yourself in the stuff.

Quote:
. I have made sure to remove any standing water around our yard. Is there anything thing that actually works to ward off mosquitoes?
To make this an actually useful reply: Scientific American seems to be recommending Cutter Advanced which is based on Picaridin instead of DEET, or an oil of lemon eucalyptus based repellent (they list several).
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
Not that it would be a reason to start, but does smoking repel mosquitoes?
Cigarette smoke works. Like a citronella candle, it works best if there is not too much wind, and you have to keep chain-smoking them. Given the current prices, it's probably the least cost-effective way to do it though.

Marijuana smoke doesn't seem to work as well, IME. I suspect that it is less to due with the difference in the smoke and more in the reduced volume of it.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM

The way that I was able to reduce mosquitoes in my yard was by removing most of the overgrowth (primarily ivy and virginia creeper vines) and trimming/removing bushes and trees. Now there is less natural shade and moisture in my yard which had created a playground for bugs. Making sure the gutters are clear and not retaining water also helps. Of course, my neighbors still have their filthy pools harboring mosquitoes though. This may not be the solutions for everyone, but it could help in certain yards.

On a side note, I seem to have some sort of immunity or superhuman healing ability against mosquito bites. If I get bit, the area is red and itches for about 30 minutes then goes away entirely. It’s a pretty nice immunity to have.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You can't beat Off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Sez You.
Due to the smallness of the text on my tablet, I genuinely read the title of this thread as "Is there anything that actually wants to wank off mosquitoes?"

Carry on.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Things that work:
  • Small room or patio: Smoldering mosquito coils
  • Personal use: DEET
  • Whole yard use: Pyrethin barrier spray. About $50 a month.
  • Trim your ivy and any ground-hugging brush that you don't care about. Especially that ivy.

Things that do not work:
  • Essential oils (lemongrass, eucalyptus, patchouli, all that shit). Not EPA approved for mosquito repellent. Mostly good for helping hippies feel virtuous.
  • Picaridin. Hey look, I avoided that evil DEET, and I only got bitten by a single infected tick! No thanks.
  • Bug zappers. Fun to watch, not effective. Mosquitos have very short range, they aren't going to make an epic suicide journey for your entertainment.
  • Propane traps. See bug zappers.
  • Bat houses. Bats are fun. Bats are good for the environment. By all means install some bat houses. Just don't expect to be rewarded with any significant dent in your mosquito population.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 08-01-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
snip

Things that do not work:
  • Essential oils (lemongrass, eucalyptus, patchouli, all that shit). Not EPA approved for mosquito repellent. Mostly good for helping hippies feel virtuous.
  • Picaridin. Hey look, I avoided that evil DEET, and I only got bitten by a single infected tick! No thanks.
There are examples of both proven effective by Consumer Reports lab tests, but others that score very low. I've also personally had good experiences with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus and Sawyer Picaridin products.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:33 PM

The tips for reducing the mosquito population seem to be forgetting one of Cecil's columns where he calculates how many more bugs there might be now if the reader hadn't gone on a bug killing spree so many years ago. The upshot of the analysis is that the environment has a carrying capacity for many species that is always full. The bugs can reproduce so quickly that killing or preventing the reproduction of any number of them (besides all of them) is not going to make a long-term dent in their population. If you want to reduce the number of mosquitoes in your area permanently, you would need to get rid of the things in the environment that cause them to be able to reproduce easily.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the column. I remember Cecil's style of writing specifically. But maybe I'm hallucinating.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the column. I remember Cecil's style of writing specifically. But maybe I'm hallucinating."

A known side effect of DEET, coils & permethrin. Just kidding, of course.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 AM

If I sit out on the patio/deck in the evening I use an oscillating fan. It works great. Another thing that works pretty good even tho it sounds weird is.....fill a spray bottle with the gold Listerine-type mouthwash. I use the WalMart Equate brand which is much cheaper. Spray the floor of your patio or deck with it. It seems to work.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 AM

Thermacells? I have used one on exercise and they work fairly well.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:20 AM

I'm also going to hop on the fan bandwagon - a couple spread around the patio seem to do well.

I can't find the cite at the moment, but I seem to recall reading that mosquitos can't fight > 4mph wind, and a fan on low generates about that much.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 AM

There is actually no real venom in a mosquito bite. It's just an allergic reaction to the substance the mosquito injects (to prevent clotting while the insect sucks your blood) though it's certainly annoying! I have always used a mixture of Adolph's meat tenderizer mixed with water to a paste (can add skin cream to help the tendency to flake) with a bandaid over the application site. I've found it very effective over the years. I mix it up and keep it in the fridge.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM

We don't have a mosquito problem. We have a deer fly problem. They're worse than mosquitos, IMO... they attack you in droves. The only solution I've found is a blue cup w/ Tanglefoot applied to it.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 AM

No mention of the mosquito laser? And it can be programmed to destroy any type of insect you want.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
If you are stationary (sitting on a deck or patio, for example), bring out a couple of big oscillating fans. This works pretty well for us.

mmm
The fans work great! I use Avon's Bug Guard when in the woods. Works for mosquitos, biting flies and ticks.

Another kind of odd thing that seems to work on the deck/patio is to spray the floor with Listerine (the gold version - I use the cheap WalMart brand). I don't know why it works but it does.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
We don't have a mosquito problem. We have a deer fly problem. They're worse than mosquitos, IMO... they attack you in droves. The only solution I've found is a blue cup w/ Tanglefoot applied to it.
Deer flies!!! Hate them. I haven't seen them out yet but it should be pretty soon. It's only when we're in the woods that we encounter them. They're awful and never give up. When they're around I have to wear a hood or a face net/hat (found in the camping department).