Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM
BANNED

When you tell people where you are from , what do they usually say?

I remember reading that when people say they are from Essex , people say "so do you know the cast of TOWIE?" So was wondering if anything like that happened to you from where you are
Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

"What the hell is the UP?"
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

When I tell people I'm from the Cleveland/Akron area they always seem to know someone from that area (no, not LeBron. Like, their cousin's husband or something.) Sometimes I even end up knowing the person or having something in common with them.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:39 PM

I am not really "from" any one place, but when asked I usually say "Joplin", where I went to high school and my parents then lived for 40 years. Joplin used to make people mention Route 66. Now they mention the tornado, which yes, did destroy my parents' house.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:42 PM

The typical reaction upon learning where I'm from is one of a combination of shock, sympathy and horror. Flint, Mi.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 PM

"Why would you want to live in Michigan?"

edit: actually I've only received that once, but I don't travel much and when I do usually the people I encounter are people I already know.

Last edited by jz78817; 01-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 PM

Depends in part of where we are. People are likely to ask for more detail than whatever my first answer has been, which in turn also varies by location. If I'm abroad and talking with someone who doesn't have an obvious Spanish accent it wouldn't make any sense to give the province, much less the towns.

Other Spaniards who are bad at geography are likely to ask if I'm from "Pamplona capital" (there aren't any others, at least in Navarre; the other Pamplonas are in Latin America) or even from the much-hated "Navarre capital" (there is no town by that name).

I've had people respond with political shit, but well, I've gotten to the point where I'm kind of grateful so long as they're not physically agressive (which also happened a couple of times). Anybody who does that is making it clear they're complete jerks, which saves me the effort of finding out.

Last edited by Nava; 01-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 PM

Do you have electricity?
The rural area I live is well known locally for being largely uninhabited. FTR I do have electricity, I had to buy my own electric Poles to get it. It is easily broken when a bird lands on the line, but I have it. I also have a generator and solar panels.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
"What the hell is the UP?"
We lived in the UP for awhile, I loved it up there. I never knew it existed before that, though. Iron Mt./Kingsford.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

When I tell people I am from Louisiana, they usually assume that I am from southern Louisiana and usually New Orleans because most people are familiar with it. I am not from New Orleans at all even though I did go to college there.

I am from a tiny town right on the Texas border that is Deep Southern and about 365 miles NW of New Orleans. The people that live there are much more Duck Dynasty than Cajun or Creole. Some aspects of Louisiana culture like Mardi Gras and Louisiana cooking extend to most of the state including where I am from but it is mostly just the Deep South.

It would be like asking our neighbors in East Texas something about San Antonio or Amarillo. They may know something about them because we both had to take extensive state history classes but a lot of people rarely travel very far outside of the immediate area.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 01-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
"Why would you want to live in Michigan?"

edit: actually I've only received that once, but I don't travel much and when I do usually the people I encounter are people I already know.
Because the trees are really pretty here.

Also the food is top-notch. Lord I didn't know how good we had it until I lived in New Jersey and some other states. Michigan has countless delicious, culturally authentic restaurants as a result of our strong immigrant history. Dearborn is just a start.

The most common response to where I'm from (a rural town in Michigan) is polite apathy. The most common response to where I live now (a small Township in metro Detroit) is "where is that now?"
Old 01-13-2018, 06:25 PM

"It's a small planet in an obscure star cluster, you probably haven't heard of it."

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Detroit (suburbs): “ooooh shit!” But that was said more often in the mid-eighties than now.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!

There are a statistically unusual number of Michiganders in this thread.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:46 PM

"Does it really rain all the time?"
Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 PM

"Jesus Christ. Wrap it up. I was just being polite."

(I lived in three different states before second grade)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 PM

If I'm abroad and tell people I'm from Chicago, they usually say either "Bang Bang! Al Capone!" or "Michael Jordan!" If I'm traveling in the US, they say something like "isn't it dangerous?"

If I'm in northern Illinois, they usually say, "what suburb?"
Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

From a québécoise friend: "Tabernac, c'est plat!"
Old 01-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Depends in part of where we are. People are likely to ask for more detail than whatever my first answer has been, which in turn also varies by location. If I'm abroad and talking with someone who doesn't have an obvious Spanish accent it wouldn't make any sense to give the province, much less the towns.

Other Spaniards who are bad at geography are likely to ask if I'm from "Pamplona capital" (there aren't any others, at least in Navarre; the other Pamplonas are in Latin America) or even from the much-hated "Navarre capital" (there is no town by that name).

I've had people respond with political shit, but well, I've gotten to the point where I'm kind of grateful so long as they're not physically agressive (which also happened a couple of times). Anybody who does that is making it clear they're complete jerks, which saves me the effort of finding out.
My response to your post was "wow". Then I noticed your user location. Good match.
..Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!

Procrustus: If you're not aware already, watch your post count.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Their responses are diverse.

When I tell them I'm from Germany, it can range from, "Did you ever go to Octoberfest," to "I love German chicks (this one from creepy guys trying to hit on me)," to "what do you think about Nazis?"

The last question really irks the hell out of me. People are so ignorant.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm from West Virginia.

Some polite (albeit ignorant) people say, "Oh, I have relatives in Virginia.

Jerks ask, "Do you fuck your sister?" (I reply, "No, yours".)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:00 PM

I'm Newfoundland born, so I get asked if I had family in the fishery. (Not really. One lobster fisherman, but that's it.)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Nobody has ever heard of my town, so I default to the nearest pair of big cities. Because what people say when I say "My Town" is "Whuh?"
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

"Do you know Sarah Palin?"
Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM

I get asked about a certain group of a certain segment of society that decided to make my state their home, to which I usually reply, "No, we jailed those fuckers and burned down their compound years ago"
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 PM

"Oh, wow, you're from Texas. Well...I've been to Austin once!"
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Dunedin, New Zealand.

Sheep jokes. Hobbit jokes. Then they ask what town I'm from, and if I'm lucky they will mention albatrosses, but most likely it's quizzical confusion as they've only ever been to Auckland and Queenstown.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
If I'm abroad and tell people I'm from Chicago, they usually say either "Bang Bang! Al Capone!" or "Michael Jordan!" If I'm traveling in the US, they say something like "isn't it dangerous?"

If I'm in northern Illinois, they usually say, "what suburb?"
This is, word-for-word, entirely accurate in my experience. I was actually going to bring up the Al Capone vs Michael Jordan example (although most of my travelling abroad was 80s-00s, so I don't know if Michael Jordan is still as solid in the public imagination, but I was shocked to find out that Al Capone was still so well known out there, so maybe not much has changed.)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

It used to be "Do you smoke a lot of pot?" Now that it's legal statewide I don't get that anymore. Now it's usually "How much snow do you get?", which doesn't really have an answer - it all depends on the year.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Nothing from my hometown, but when I say where I'm from now it's always "So do you go to Disney a lot?" Yes, yes I do.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 PM

I now live in west Michigan, but I'm from the Detroit suburb of Dearborn (mentioned above by Spice Weasel); grew up there and spent 36 of my 43 years there. Usually when I tell people around here that I'm from Dearborn it's something along the lines of "Oh, yeah, glad you got out. What was it like being the only non-Muslim?"
Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 PM

You're from Massachusetts??? (said with skepticism) Why don't you have an accent?
Then they do their cah and pahk Hahvard Yahd impersonation.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Nothing from my hometown, but when I say where I'm from now it's always "So do you go to Disney a lot?" Yes, yes I do.
You should start looking puzzled and ask them what a "Disney" is.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 AM

The farther I am from Cleveland, the more likely I am to say Cleveland.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

If I tell people I'm from New York, they assume I'm from New York City.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

I spent my early childhood in the town where I now live (with a nearly 50yr hiatus in between). And when I tell folks where I came from/now live, they almost always say, "Ooooh, lucky you".

Except it's a very different town to the one I grew up in, has grown four-fold both geographically and population-wise, and is nothing like the town of old.

However, it still has a gorgeous ocean beach and estuarine river, and the tourists are still a scourge during the holiday season.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
My response to your post was "wow". Then I noticed your user location. Good match.
..Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Well, I keep moving I'd have to change that every few weeks if I wanted to be perfectly accurate, and whatever location I currently happen to be in doesn't necessarily match those I talk about.

I'm delocalized, like electrons in resonant rings

Last edited by Nava; 01-14-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:13 AM

If I answer 'The North West (of England)', the commonest response is 'whereabouts?' I say the nearest big town, they ask 'where's that?'

I stopped answering 'Cumbria' because such a scary proportion of my fellow English had no idea where it was (it's the 3rd largest county), and I got fed up of telling people that no, it's not in Scotland.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 AM

"What exit?"
Old 01-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

"Where's that?"

If they know it, they'll make a comment about the smell (paper mill), to which the only permissable response is "Smells like money to me".
Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 AM

It depends where I am. In Australia and NZ, I can tell people I'm from Brisbane (because I am, despite being born in NZ) and everyone knows where it is, but when I'm in the US the response is quite often "Is that near Sydney?". :eyeroll:

No, it is not near Sydney except in the sense the two cities are 1000kms apart and in different states.

Last edited by Martini Enfield; 01-14-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM

When I was a kid I told someone us kids were from Kentucky. He said "You're a bunch of hillbillies!"

I calmly said "We're from Lexington," and he said "Oh, then you're not hillbillies."

I knew other kids who'd told people they were from Kentucky and got questions like "Do you eat with a fork? Do you use a flush toilet?"
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Whenever I mention to Europeans that I'm from Israel, they usually say "Oh!" with this glassy look in their eyes, and quickly change the subject.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 AM

A lot of times, when I tell someone I’m from DC they say me too, but when I ask them what neighborhood they say Virginia.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby View Post
"What exit?"
Youuu Raang?

Actually I only got this a few times in the real world, more online. Saying New Jersey does get a varied reaction though. Many seem to think it is hell on earth, but that is just a few areas like Camden. Many think The Jersey Shore or Sopranos. Both are largely fictional. Though Sopranos at least has some truth. Now we have a nationally known governor and it is Chris Christie, so that hardly has helped our reputation and the Sopranos look even more accurate.

If I say my town it is usually blank looks or question about Bell Labs.

Now if I mention my birthplace, The Bronx, that is usually a conversation starter.

If people are from the Philly area, they mainly talk about the Beaches, Wildwood & Atlantic City. New Yorkers are convinced we're in the sticks which is funny for the most densely populated state, but well NYC is NYC.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:25 AM

Wow, I bet you ski a lot. Actually, I don't. Hate it. We live just south of Breckenridge Colorado. There are 4 world class ski areas just in the county alone. The other thing would be WOW that's high. We live at a high elevation even by Colorado standards. 11,200 feet
Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Wow, I bet you ski a lot. Actually, I don't. Hate it. We live just south of Breckenridge Colorado. There are 4 world class ski areas just in the county alone. The other thing would be WOW that's high. We live at a high elevation even by Colorado standards. 11,200 feet
Hey, do you get to the brewery much? Damn good brewery.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
It depends where I am. In Australia and NZ, I can tell people I'm from Brisbane (because I am, despite being born in NZ) and everyone knows where it is, but when I'm in the US the response is quite often "Is that near Sydney?". :eyeroll:

No, it is not near Sydney except in the sense the two cities are 1000kms apart and in different states.
It doesn't matter, they don't know where Sydney is either. You could say Brisbane is near Christchurch and they'd say "Oh, that's cool".
Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

At science fiction cons, people laugh when I say I'm from Schenectady. Someone once saw it on my badge and thought I was joking.

It was because of and old genre joke that SF writers get their ideas from a post office box in Schenectady.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM

I'm from Norway. People usually answer "Oooh nice! Oslo?".