I will start
Losing at Fifa
Waiting in queues
Old 01-14-2018, 04:04 PM

Gum chewers.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Whistlers.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM

That 5-8 seconds after the metro train comes to a full stop but the doors remain closed. WHY???!!!

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Beater cars parked in front of my house
Buying good-looking oranges only to find that they're too tart to eat
Shopping websites that want me to register just so I can browse
Vacuuming
Old 01-14-2018, 04:43 PM

My little dog begging to go out, and when you open the door she hesitates because it is cold.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Getting change at the checkout line in the form of a "receipt sandwich":

hands me my paper money change
on top of that lays the goddam receipt
on top of the receipt places the metal change

Am I the only person in the western hemisphere who doesn't stuff receipts into their wallet with the currency or something?

I prefer the coins first (the old fashioned way: "forty seven forty eight forty nine, FIFTY, seventy five, THREE, four five and five is TEN") but I don't get bent out of shape if they use the LED cash register information to hand me the dollars first ("Your change is...Eight dollars... and fifty four cents thank you have a nice day"), that's fine —I pinch the edge of the bills between a couple of fingers, dump the change into a pocket then slide the bills into my wallet, works fine. But the damn receipt sandwich, yeesh! Yes it's trivial. Burns my butt anyway.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post

Am I the only person in the western hemisphere who doesn't stuff receipts into their wallet with the currency or something?

I prefer the coins first (the old fashioned way: "forty seven forty eight forty nine, FIFTY, seventy five, THREE, four five and five is TEN") but I don't get bent out of shape if they use the LED cash register information to hand me the dollars first ("Your change is...Eight dollars... and fifty four cents thank you have a nice day"), that's fine —I pinch the edge of the bills between a couple of fingers, dump the change into a pocket then slide the bills into my wallet, works fine. But the damn receipt sandwich, yeesh! Yes it's trivial. Burns my butt anyway.
No, no, no. Coins first, then bills. If they put the bills in your palm, then the coins on the bills, the coins are just going to slide off onto the damn floor.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
No, no, no. Coins first, then bills. If they put the bills in your palm, then the coins on the bills, the coins are just going to slide off onto the damn floor.
When I was taught to use a register, this was exactly what I was told. Now clerks insist on giving the bills first for some stupid reason. (And of course they don't count at all, up or down.)
Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM

People who start opinionating based on only one side of the story. Could be anything. Drives me nuts.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:20 PM

The cat demanding my attention as soon as I start playing Guild Wars.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
That 5-8 seconds after the metro train comes to a full stop but the doors remain closed. WHY???!!!
It's so that all the people on the platform who plan to try to get on the train before letting people off have time to get into position obstructing the doors.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Guy in front of me on the way to work this morning driving ONE MILE AN HOUR slower than I wanted to go.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

The highway between the town that I live in and the CBD in the next city is about 24km, with about 12 sets of traffic lights. And the bloody things are not synchronised EXCEPT to always turn red just before getting to them.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I agree on gum chewers, all of whom should be shot.

People trying to get on the bus/train before everyone who is getting off does so.

Groups of people who take up the entire sidewalk and who get snotty if you refuse to get out of the way. I usually just run into them. Also people who block hallways, doorways and sidewalks. Also people who text while walking, which implies that the rest of us should get out of their way so they don't miss the latest "LOL".

Our current postal carrier who doesn't knock on the door when she leaves a package on the porch in plain sight.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

A group of people dining together, all bent over their phones. They're not with me so it doesn't affect me personally, but it just annoys me to see a tableful of phone addicts ignoring one another.

You didn't want only logical annoyances, did you?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

People who insist on paying for groceries with a wad of coupons (which in and of itself is not a bad thing; I support thrift!) half of which aren't honored at that store, or are expired, or aren't for the product/size/quantity purchased, who then also insist on not only paying with cash, but paying with exact change, and then taking the time to rummage through their purse/pockets for the necessary coinage.

All in the express line!

People who go through the "Self Checkout" lane at the store, and do NOT know how a bar code scanner works, how the touch screen works, how to look up produce, what the function of the rack of store bags next to the scanner/checkout is all about, or how their ATM/debit card/PIN works.

People who take forever at a drive up ATM. In the time they take to make a $20 - $40 withdrawal, I can balance my checkbook, plan my retirement, and refinance my mortgage. Fortunately, I can take advantage of the "Cash Back" feature at the grocery store, so my time spent in Drive-Up ATM lines has gone down drastically in the last decade-plus.

I've observed this phenomena more frequently in recent years: people who stop at a red light half-way into the intersection; or who stop at the red light like a normal person, but who then begin slowly creeping forward, inching their way into the intersection. In a few instances, I've seen them creep far enough into an intersection that they actually block cross-traffic, making pedestrians walk around them as they traverse the pedestrian cross-walk, and giving both pedestrians and green-light cross-traffic drivers alike equally unapologetic "Fuck You" stares.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
When I was taught to use a register, this was exactly what I was told. Now clerks insist on giving the bills first for some stupid reason. (And of course they don't count at all, up or down.)
Oh, don't get me wrong, that's my preference as well. And it's how I was taught back when I was on cash register back in the day.

But I can cope with bills then coins. They put the bills in my hand and I clasp the bills between index and middle finger on one side, and between little finger and fourth finger on the other side, and the coins rest on top. Then it's reasonably easy to dump the coins in my pants pocket and slip the bills into my wallet.

Like I said, the part I can't stand is when they put the goddam receipt into the mix. I don't want it in my wallet OR my coins pocket. And now it's a two handed operation to sort this mess out.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM
born to be shunned

I've said it before but --------
other drivers who don't give you a wave or something when you do something nice for them like letting them out into traffic or such.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 PM

People who say "I could care less".
It's "I couldn't care less", dammit!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:07 AM

• People who stop at the green right arrow like it's a stop sign. every. single. morning
  • People who don't use the center turn lane the way it's intended
  • People who drift out in front of you, and then proceed to take their sweet ass time, despite there being no one behind you for a mile
  • People who don't walk on the right. Or hell, even the left. They meander and confuse everyone else
  • People who label MP3s Song Title - Artist, instead of Artist - Song Title as God intended
Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
A group of people dining together, all bent over their phones. They're not with me so it doesn't affect me personally, but it just annoys me to see a tableful of phone addicts ignoring one another.

You didn't want only logical annoyances, did you?
How do you know they aren't talking to each other via text? It's a lot easier than shouting over a loud restaurant.

It yeah, it annoys me to shout over a loud restaurant or to hear others shouting over a loud restaurant.

Last edited by snfaulkner; 01-15-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 AM

People who post a topic and say "Discuss". Fucking lazy is what they are.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:55 AM

Any of the following mistakes which are so ubiquitous now that people doing them wrong are unlikely to learn by observing and actually correcting someone gets you a stink-eye.

Your/you're
everyday/every day and other compound words
myself/yourself as a non-reflexive pronoun
Old 01-15-2018, 01:12 AM

Your/you're used to really bother me until autocorrect fucked me over so many times that I've come to tolerate the mistake in others.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 AM

My Levi's.

They come in 36 or 38 inch waist.

I'm a solid 37 apparently. They either pinch or fall off my ass like a rapper.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

People who have no spatial awareness This happens everywhere but maybe the worst is at the grocery store. People turn into an aisle and stop, blocking you from getting in and then looking around for 30 seconds deciding if they need anything in that aisle. This leaves your butt hanging out into the main aisle between the groceries and the checkout area making it look like you're the asshole.

People who walk down the center of every aisle and leave their cart there while they step over to examine every one of the 150 varieties of soup.

Couples who must walk side by side no matter what, completely blocking everyone from getting past them. It is possible to speak and communicate while walking single file.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
My little dog begging to go out, and when you open the door she hesitates because it is cold.
Mine does this but I find it quite endearing - she gets all excited at the idea of going out, then stops at the back door and looks at the rain, then looks forlornly at me, as if believing I have the power to make it stop.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:49 AM

People who nod their heads in agreement while they're speaking. Just... no. You speak, I listen, I nod. That's how that works. Only crazy people nod while they're talking.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM

- Foot shufflers (yes, I know some people have a medical condition. This is not that)

- People who don't respect screen privacy

- People who talk really loudly on the phone except, magically, when it's a personal call they find their inside voice

- People who have conversations with themselves so you never know if they're talking to you or themsel.....you know what? I should just collapse these into a bullet point called "cubicle life."
Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post

Dear God I hate this. Preach.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
.... who then also insist on not only paying with cash, but paying with exact change, and then taking the time to rummage through their purse/pockets for the necessary coinage.

I think all stores with multiple lanes should have a Cash Only, and we MEAN it! lane. My experience with card users often ends up as follows: Waits until order is rung up. Searches in huge luggage-sized purse for card. Swipes first card. Doesn't work. Tries again, doesn't work. Enters correct PIN, card denied. Searches in huge luggage-sized purse for second card. Repeat of first card scenario. Search ensues for checkbook, the writes check. Searches for proper ID......

Me paying in cash: Order rung up. I hand cash to cashier, take change, leave store with my purchases.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one who hates the receipt sandwich.

A trivial thing that annoys me (and maybe only me) : when I'm on the bus or subway and someone near me is tapping their foot. I can both hear it, and feel it in my own feet.

Last edited by EmilyG; 01-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
How do you know they aren't talking to each other via text? It's a lot easier than shouting over a loud restaurant.
I also get trivially annoyed by people who appear to judge the quality of what annoys me. Guess I'm not doing it right, huh?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecejackox View Post
Waiting in queues
The older I get, the worse this gets for me. I'm gettin' cranky.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM

People who make fun of people who order a diet beverage with a fast food combo. I don't even eat fast food or drink soda, but every time I hear this worn-out joke I want to sit the person down for a crash course on nutrition, logic, differing tastes, and not being a judgemental jerk about things they are ignorant about.

Last edited by Maurie; 01-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

People at the grocery store who don't use the express lane or self checkout when they only have one or two items. There are two express lanes open, and four self checkouts, but they have to use the only "full service" lane (which I need to be in because I have a full cart) because I don't know, they're lazy or stupid I guess.

(Sometimes I think it is part and parcel of the "phone addiction" thing. They can't be bothered to put their phone down long enough to check themselves out. It still doesn't explain why they don't use the express checkout though...)

Also, why does Target have 20 cash registers along the front of the store but they never have more than two or three open?
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

People who video you without your permission. Next time it happens, Ima slap the phone out of their hands. This happens at venues where there are protests going on.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 PM

calling a sandwich a "sammie."
Old 01-15-2018, 01:04 PM

Old white guys who feel they have the right to chime in on every situation. I was at an event this weekend and ordered an IPA, the vendor told me that the IPA was coming out really foamy and it would a few minutes. I asked what they had that was ready to do when this old white guy in line points at the menu and starts reading them off. A) I wanted to know what they had ready to go, not what was on the menu; and B) no one was talking to you. As a middle aged white guy, I hope this guy's smug sense of entitlement isn't my future.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcoast View Post
People who post a topic and say "Discuss". Fucking lazy is what they are.
People who call threads "topics".
Old 01-15-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie View Post
People who make fun of people who order a diet beverage with a fast food combo. I don't even eat fast food or drink soda, but every time I hear this worn-out joke I want to sit the person down for a crash course on nutrition, logic, differing tastes, and not being a judgemental jerk about things they are ignorant about.
preach it. i simply don't like the taste or mouthfeel of regular coke.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 PM

-Receipt sandwiches
-Tags on towels & pillows
-Also any clothing tag that picks me either on my neck or side
-When I'm in a left turn arrow lane and it takes FOREVER for the first 2 cars to move
-When my husband uses the hand towel in the kitchen and throws it on the counter
instead of hanging it back up on the stove handle. I hang that towel up 10 times a day!
-When I get a burger at a restaurant and my fries and bun are soaking up the pickle
juice. HATE pickles.
-The person ahead of me in line at the DMV who has a manilla folder full of papers, but not the correct ones.
-Commericals
-Sneezing right after putting on mascara.
-Finding a book that looks good but then realizing its the 5th (or any other number)
in a series.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shine View Post
Your/you're
I remember thinking that SO MANY entries in my senior year high school yearbook that had "your" instead of "you're" was a great (failing) "report card" on the whole high school English department !

As to the trivial things that bother me:
- standing in line for the single open check-out person/teller...who is being helped by another clerk (sometimes this is a supervisor - who also doesn't see the big line forming to make the command decision to open up another teller/register)

- groups of people with no spacial awareness blocking aisles.

- "looky loos" in the opposite side of the flow of traffic, screwing up traffic on the side where the accident didn't take place
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Websites (or anywhere else) that alphabetize titles starting with the indefinite or definite article under A or T instead of the second word.

People who spell minuscule as miniscule. (OMG! Autocorrect on my Android tablet doesn't highlight the latter as incorrect! No wonder so many people get it wrong! It's the end of civilization as we know it!)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Old white guys who feel they have the right to chime in on every situation. I was at an event this weekend and ordered an IPA, the vendor told me that the IPA was coming out really foamy and it would a few minutes. I asked what they had that was ready to do when this old white guy in line points at the menu and starts reading them off. A) I wanted to know what they had ready to go, not what was on the menu; and B) no one was talking to you. As a middle aged white guy, I hope this guy's smug sense of entitlement isn't my future.
Middle-aged white guys who can't wait a few minutes for their beer and hold up the line for the rest of us.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
calling a sandwich a "sammie."
Is "sammich" OK?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Not sure if this fits the billing, but I once read a children's book, as a kid, that really ticked me off. The story was about a race between a horse, an airplane, a hot-air balloon, and a bicycle (I think,) and the author claimed that all 4 things resulted in a tie race at the end. Even at that age, I knew there was a drastic difference in the speed of an airplane vs. the other objects, and knew it was a lame attempt by the author at "making everything equal."
Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM

♪♫
Slightly slow drivers and gum chewing fools,
Grocery shoppers who flout all the rules,
Pickle soaked burgers and orange that zings,
These are the worst of the trivial things

Dogs that just cannot understand weather,
Receipts and the change given screwed up together,
Terrible grammar and waiting in lines,
These are a few of my favourite whines,

People who stay on their phones all through dinner,
People who shout thoughts that should have stayed inner,
Finding the hand towel again on the floor,
All of these things are a terrible boor,

When the smug men,
Have to tell you,
Their understanding’s bad,
Remember it don’t just infuriate you,
And let yourself feel so mad.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM

People who think that when there's a green arrow for a left turn, you can't turn left when it goes dark (if the main light is green and your way is clear). Most of the U.S. population doesn't understand their own traffic signals.

4-way stop signs. Jesus Christ. Just prioritize one direction like the rest of the world does, to stop the silly confusion of people not being able to figure out who should go next, half of them being too pushy and the other half not assertive enough.

And given the ubiquity of 4-way stop signs, the idiocy of 2-way stop signs, where the only way to figure out the nature of the junction is to try to discern if the perpendicular roads have their own stops signs or not.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-15-2018 at 03:24 PM.