Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 PM

California couple charged with torture after police rescue 13 children.

Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with people.

http://www.businessinsider.com/calif...hildren-2018-1

From the link:

"A couple in California was charged with torture after their thirteen malnourished children were rescued from a house on Monday.
Some of the children, ranging in age from 2 to 29, were found chained to beds.
Police rescued the siblings after a 17-year-old girl escaped from the house and alerted authorities."

The oldest is 29 years old. I hate to think this has been his or her life for so long.

I just can't imagine.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM

I wonder if there were others who are missing? Presumably dead? This is just horrid.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Good lord, 13 of them!? One Jeanie was bad enough.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM

The husband was an engineer for Northrop Grumman. Files for bankruptcy in 2011.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....ornia.amp.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article
Their bankruptcy lawyer, Ivan Trahan, said in a phone interview on Monday night that the parents spoke often about their children. They had 12 at the time of their bankruptcy, Mr. Trahan said, adding that the children never visited his law office.

“They spoke about them highly,” Mr. Trahan said.

He said Ms. Turpin told him that the family loved Disneyland in Southern California and visited often.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM

They were showing family photos of the entire group that looked like a fairly normal family. Not sure at what point things took this turn.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Does anyone know if the children were biological or adopted, or some combination?

I also wonder if some of the younger children were also their grandchildren, if you get what I'm saying.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 PM

Yea I was wondering about that too. The Mother looked a little old to have a 2 year old. This is truly sickening. I am just gonna be so mad if it is some kinda religious order. I really am. I. Am. So. Sick. Of these parents doing these things to kids in the name of religion.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 AM

IANAPsy, but seeing that woman's mug shot made the word "sociopath" pop into my head. Her eyes look absolutely devoid of human feeling, and that creepy little smile looks like some poor imitation of what she's seen other people do in pictures. I weep for these children.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:42 AM

I am always suspicious of Moms who dress their kids alike. That is a sure sign of 'Bat crap crazy'! Not to mention the ugly pink plaid dresses. Poor young girls!!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Maybe it's just me, but I think any grown man with a Captain Kangaroo haircut should be enough to prompt a visit from DCFS.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Apparently state records show the father as the named principal of a school sharing the same address as the family home and enrolling only a small handful of students. Unless those records are just a formality, there may be some questions as to whether that "school" actually obtained some form of state approval.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Wow, what an awful story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the linked article
The sheriff's office said that the 17-year-old girl who called 911 looked to be 10 years old.
Damn, this makes me want to cry. Lock those parents up and throw away the key.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Chain the parents to the back of a pick-up and drive down a gravel road.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:16 PM

13 kids and visited Disneyland often? That would bankrupt Bill Gates!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM

The picture of the outside of the house is not what I was expecting.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 PM

The article I read made them out to be Pentecostals. I don't think I have anything more to say about that.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM

Hanging is too good for these evil bastards.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Apparently state records show the father as the named principal of a school sharing the same address as the family home and enrolling only a small handful of students. Unless those records are just a formality, there may be some questions as to whether that "school" actually obtained some form of state approval.
From what I've read, there is technically no such thing as homeschooling in California and the only students who are exempt from public school attendance are those enrolled in private school. So in order to homeschool in California you set-up your own very private school - but that just requires filing an affidavit which acknowledges that filing the affidavit does not indicate approval or endorsement by the state. It's basically the equivalent of the form you file in some other states to notify the district that you are homeschooling.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:52 PM

This made me sick to my stomach when I saw it. The freaking home schooling thing? I know a couple that homeschooled their kids because mommy and daddy would leave the house for hours at a time and leave the 3 kids aged six through 3 home alone. Can you imagine a kindergartner going into school and sharing that with a teacher? Guess what, you assholes, the gig’s up, party over. Anyway, they did get caught, grandparents have custody and the kids started public school. Sorry to go off, and I mean no offense to anyone that homeschools. I just hadn’t heard that part of the story before this.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:04 PM

It is not just homeschooling, it's that added to religious stupidity and abuse. Those parents should be chained to cots and starved and dressed alike. They deserve exactly what they put those kids through. Sickening.
I bet there is sexual abuse there too.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-16-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 PM

I'd like to see states pass laws where CPS was required to check up on homeschooled kids once a year if they weren't taking any classes at a regular school. The point being that someone outside the parents' control and in a position of responsibility should be checking up on every kid at least that often. A lot of abuse can happen in a year, but it damn sure shouldn't have an opportunity to go on forever.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'd like to see states pass laws where CPS was required to check up on homeschooled kids once a year if they weren't taking any classes at a regular school. The point being that someone outside the parents' control and in a position of responsibility should be checking up on every kid at least that often. A lot of abuse can happen in a year, but it damn sure shouldn't have an opportunity to go on forever.
I have long believed that in one way or another the government should ascertain the well being of every child on an annual basis. Most of the time attendance at school would cover this, but if kids are home-schooled they are off that grid.

At the same time I see how such requirements could backfire calamitously as the government oversteps it's bounds on what the well being of child should be and what the state can do when they find it below par.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM

I can't believe a doctor's appt. didn't catch them out. With that many kids someone was bound to have an earache, tonsillitis or a bad tooth. The oldest kid in his 20s, doesn't make sense, somebody was not paying attention.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Sith Mod

That picture of them renewing their vows, with their kids all around them in matching dresses, with their faces blurred out, is one of the creepiest images I've ever seen.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I can't believe a doctor's appt. didn't catch them out. With that many kids someone was bound to have an earache, tonsillitis or a bad tooth. The oldest kid in his 20s, doesn't make sense, somebody was not paying attention.
The doctor said the oldest, age 29, looked like a malnourished 15 year old.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Fair odds they never went to the doctor, sick, injured, or not. If they were, I imagine it was accompanied by some hair-raising threats.

Remember, these kids, at least a lot of them, were raised this way - they didn't know it was abnormal.*

*Except maybe from TV - if they were allowed to watch much if any.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The government needs probable cause to demand access to ones house and children. Just because social workers are involved doesn't mean kids are safe.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...694.html?amp=y
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 PM

The females all appeared to have had the same hairstyle, and the males too.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're assuming these parents would ever take their kids to a doctor, no matter what the illness. That can be a false assumption.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
You are assuming the kids would be taken to the doctor when they got sick. Tonsillitis is the only one you mention that would always require a doctor, and of my dozen cousins I'm the only one who have had it as a child.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

And for today's weird factoid: I used to be a contract engineer, and I have now worked in the same building* with two evil people who chained their kids at home. This Turpin guy many years ago, and this dude. At least the kids survived this time.

I recognize the name only, and confirmed this yesterday with former coworkers. I never interacted with either other than passing in the hall.

*Different decades, different places
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Hanging is too good for these evil bastards.
Hanging's too good for 'em.

In actuality, I am opposed to capital punishment.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
13 kids and visited Disneyland often? That would bankrupt Bill Gates!
They may have only gone once or twice, despite how many times pictures were posted.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM

I swear to god those guys look really familiar, and as soon as I saw the picture the name Turpin jumped into my head.

And I'm in Tarrant County too. Bet I knew these guys somehow. I can't quite remember how, though.

Maybe I sold them some eyeglasses back in the day, who knows.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yea I was wondering about that too. The Mother looked a little old to have a 2 year old. This is truly sickening. I am just gonna be so mad if it is some kinda religious order. I really am. I. Am. So. Sick. Of these parents doing these things to kids in the name of religion.
I think you have this backwards. Religion is a very effective tool for seriously distrubed people to control others. In other words, if it turns out these people were religious, I would suspect it's because it was to more effectively control their victims than because of a geunine faith. In other words, I don't think religion is necessarily evil in and of itself, but it can facilitate evil like almost nothing else.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 PM

Oh, I know. It is just that crazy people use it as an excuse to abuse their own flesh and blood. And I, for one am really sick of hearing about it.
If you have faith and believe in the Bible, good for you.
But, if you go crazy and abuse your kids and chain them to beds and don't feed them, you are the bad guy, not God or Jesus.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It is not just homeschooling, it's that added to religious stupidity and abuse. Those parents should be chained to cots and starved and dressed alike. They deserve exactly what they put those kids through. Sickening.
I bet there is sexual abuse there too.
Absolutely agree, 100%.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:33 PM

The mother is 49. It is possible but difficult, for a 47 year old woman to have a baby, but it sure makes you wonder. In some jurisdictions, home-schooled kids are supposed to get standard tests every year. I imagine they would have caught something.

How long has this been going on? I know they moved into their house in 2014. Where were they before. I guess all these questions will be answered eventually.

According to the news, both parents have been charged with 9 counts each of child abuse and other charges. Why only 9? Why not 13? Or maybe a different set of charges for the kids past 18. Oh well, I would throw them in the clink and throw away the key.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there were others who are missing? Presumably dead? This is just horrid.
I was thinking this too and wonder how many poor children could of dies and are buried in the yard of god know where ! What I find very disturbing is none of the neighbors did anything when they saw all kind of strange things going on in the house ! No one thought there was anything wrong when every kids had arms as thin as toothpicks and white as a ghost and doing yard work in the middle of the night or marching in a line in the house all hours of the night !
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

In my area a child's body was discovered under a tool shed in a mobile home park. It turned out that the child had lived and died entirely off the grid - there was no record of his birth or death, no school records, no doctor records.... the neighbors were unaware of the couple who owned the shed having had a child. After a bunch of detective work (including DNA sampling, apparently) it was determined the child was the offspring of the two owners and had probably lived to be around 7 or so before his death.

So this sort of thing probably goes on a lot more often than we're aware of, because clearly it is possible to hide this sort of thing for years and years.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
In my area a child's body was discovered under a tool shed in a mobile home park. It turned out that the child had lived and died entirely off the grid - there was no record of his birth or death, no school records, no doctor records.... the neighbors were unaware of the couple who owned the shed having had a child. After a bunch of detective work (including DNA sampling, apparently) it was determined the child was the offspring of the two owners and had probably lived to be around 7 or so before his death.

So this sort of thing probably goes on a lot more often than we're aware of, because clearly it is possible to hide this sort of thing for years and years.
I think I've heard this story, this was like 4 years ago or so around Calumet City? I hope it is the same story and not another.

Sick people.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM

Pictures of their house in Fort Worth.

I imagine there will be investigation at that location too.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

New Jersey was shocked by the discovery of The Collingswood Boys, four adotive children who were being starved by their "parents." The tape of the 911 call is chilling. When the operator asked the neighbor who made it after discovering one of the boys digging in his garbage can for food how old the child is, he replies "About 10." When the boy responds "I'm 17," the guy totally loses it "You're 17. Oh my God, he says he's 17. He looks about ten years old. Oh, Jesus."
Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
That picture of them renewing their vows, with their kids all around them in matching dresses, with their faces blurred out, is one of the creepiest images I've ever seen.
It's not so bad when you can see their faces... until you realise some of them are in their twenties.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/15/parent...ckled-to-beds/
Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
I think I've heard this story, this was like 4 years ago or so around Calumet City? I hope it is the same story and not another.
No, the one I mentioned happened on the south edge of Gary. It really stuck in my mind because the mobile home park was one of the ones I worked for Census and I, like so many other people, had walked by the shed with the dead boy under it many times.

There could be another one from Calumet City - as I said, these things probably happen more often than we realize, or want to know.

Quote:
Sick people.
Agreed.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
New Jersey was shocked by the discovery of The Collingswood Boys, four adotive children who were being starved by their "parents." The tape of the 911 call is chilling. When the operator asked the neighbor who made it after discovering one of the boys digging in his garbage can for food how old the child is, he replies "About 10." When the boy responds "I'm 17," the guy totally loses it "You're 17. Oh my God, he says he's 17. He looks about ten years old. Oh, Jesus."
I am in no way defending the parents of the child in this post or the parents of the 13 children in this thread. I do believe all these children are very malnourished. I feel this is an extremely sad story and I hope that by some miracle these poor kids/adults have some sort of chance of ending up with a normal life.

However, some healthy, well-fed teens look like children. I am living proof. When I got my first drivers license at 16, I was 5'2" and 85 lbs. I'm male. You have to get all the way up to 102 lbs to get out of the "underweight" BMI range. I looked like a 10 year old and ate a ton of food. When I was 19, I was 6'3" and 135 lbs. I'm now much older and around 190 lbs.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 AM

How in heck does dad's salary support 15 people? Even if the kids got just one meal a day and no other perks like nice clothes, there's still cars, car insurance, mortgage, utilities, etc. California is a hideously expensive place to live.

I reckon an engineer makes about $110k. My take home on a slightly higher salary is $52-66k, which certainly couldn't support 15 people
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
How in heck does dad's salary support 15 people? Even if the kids got just one meal a day and no other perks like nice clothes, there's still cars, car insurance, mortgage, utilities, etc. California is a hideously expensive place to live.
They don't drive much being chained in the house, nor do they need much room.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:28 PM

The NBC News article on this said they were allowed to shower twice a year. That'd save a lot on the water bill.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM

In any of these cases mentioned along with the OP, are there ever any questioning of the parents about WHY they did this?