Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Meteor just hit here in SE Michigan. Woah.

Was watching TV, heard a gigantic boom. Louder than thunder, except maybe the loudest thunder you'd here. And out of nowhere.

I honestly thought someone dropped something off a roof or managed to slam a gigantic door in a way that echoed.

Nope, meteor.

Timestamp in-video is wrong, apparently. Nuts.

And really cool. My first experience with one like this.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:20 PM

I hope you don't go extinct!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Look out for blob and/or andromeda strains.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Was watching TV, heard a gigantic boom. Louder than thunder, except maybe the loudest thunder you'd here. And out of nowhere.

I honestly thought someone dropped something off a roof or managed to slam a gigantic door in a way that echoed.

Nope, meteor.
Crazy. I saw something just like that in Germany circa 1999? 2000? 2001? I don't recall it hitting the ground, though. Wild.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:27 PM

A meteor hit my car once. Wish I had video, or the meteor, or some evidence of any kind.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 PM

it's awesome people we able to film it!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Remember how Steve McQueen killed the blob?
If there's a blob inside that meteor, it's not going to enjoy our current weather.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Graphite is a great

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
A meteor hit my car once. Wish I had video, or the meteor, or some evidence of any kind.
[pedantic mode on] Meteorite. Meteors burn up before they hit Earth objects.[/pedantic mode]
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM

That would explain that loud sound a couple hours ago I couldn't identify.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
Remember how Steve McQueen killed the blob?
If there's a blob inside that meteor, it's not going to enjoy our current weather.
I don't understand how anyone in MI can enjoy the current weather.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
[pedantic mode on] Meteorite. Meteors burn up before they hit Earth objects.[/pedantic mode]
If you're going to be pedantic, you really need to get it right

When an object from space creates a streak of light across the sky, that is called a meteor. This was indeed a video of a meteor.

If a meteor makes it to the ground (and from news reports I've seen so far, there's no evidence yet that this one did), that's a meteorite.

We saw a meteor. We may or may not find a meteorite.

Last edited by Riemann; 01-16-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 PM

What did God say after he tried to destroy Detroit?

"God dammit, I missed!"
Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

"God dammit, I missed!"
Family Guy, Godzilla attacks Haiti:

Shot of smoking ruins of wrecked city. Camera pans back, turns, Godzilla is just now emerging from the sea. Looks at city. "Oh. Oh my god." Godzilla backs away slowly.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
If you're going to be pedantic, you really need to get it right
Apologies, samclem, I just noticed that you were responding to a specific post about a "meteor" hitting a car. You were correct in your pedantry. (Although a meteor doesn't necessarily burn up, it's the description of a phase; the "shooting star" meteor phase may or may not reach the ground as a meteorite.)

Last edited by Riemann; 01-16-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Since we're doing movie references...

Don't touch any meteorites, or you may get a case of the weeds.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't understand how anyone in MI can enjoy the current weather.
I with we had single digit(Fahrenheit) all winter long!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 PM

Was driving in Holland (about three hours west of Detroit) tonight and thought I saw lightning between the light snow that was falling, but it didn't come from anywhere in particular. The flash was so faint, in fact, that I figured I just imagined it. Then about 10 minutes ago I saw reports popping up on social media about a meteor.

Before clicking on the story, I said to myself "Self, if this was reported to have happened between 8:10 and 8:30, that flash you saw may not have been your imagination."

Sure enough, they're saying it happened around 8:15. Is it possible I saw the flash from this 150 miles away from the action?
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 PM

I can't be certain (because I'm lazy), but I think my house got hit by a tiny meteorite (or maybe a chunk of ice from an airplane).

One day, I heard a loud "BANG" and then a "rolling" sound. Didn't do anything about it.

Later that year, while hanging Christmas lights, found a hole in the roof, right over the soffit, that penetrated the roof but didn't go through the next layer, but did leave a pretty good dent.

Well, that would explain both sounds! Bang through the roof, then the rolling down to the bottom of the roof inside the hollow soffit.

I need to cut the underside of the soffit and stick a small camera in there to see what kind of extraterrestrial beings/objects I have living in my roof.

And then kill them.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:54 PM

{Radio tuning noises}...the Department of Agriculture is predicting a bumper crop ...{radio tuning noises}

Watchout for any sudden and prolific "plant" growth
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Cool!

The actual meteorites are highly prized by museums. I remember a case in the 1990s in IIRC Pennsylvania where not only was the flash caught on a camcorder, but it struck a young woman's car, and a museum paid her more than enough to replace that car although I'm assuming her insurance did pay a claim.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 PM

I wouldn't look in there. You may be sorry.
Anyway they will die of a virus eventually.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 AM

The wife felt it, I did not. It is blowing up The Facebook, however.

Quote:

"God dammit, I missed!"
A clever one, you are. That cherry was, what, about four feet off the ground?

mmm
Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
A clever one, you are. That cherry was, what, about four feet off the ground?

mmm
More like four inches.

Last edited by asahi; 01-17-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
The actual meteorites are highly prized by museums. I remember a case in the 1990s in IIRC Pennsylvania where not only was the flash caught on a camcorder, but it struck a young woman's car, and a museum paid her more than enough to replace that car although I'm assuming her insurance did pay a claim.
Peekskill was bought by three individuals--Ray Meyer, Jim Schwade, Marlin Cilz--here is a photo of them holding it. According to the metbase, they still own 7.4 kg of the 12.37 kg stone between themselves. The biggest piece in a museum looks to be 470 grams. (At the bottom of the entry, you can see multiple photos of pieces in private collections.)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Peekskill was bought by three individuals--Ray Meyer, Jim Schwade, Marlin Cilz--here is a photo of them holding it. According to the metbase, they still own 7.4 kg of the 12.37 kg stone between themselves. The biggest piece in a museum looks to be 470 grams. (At the bottom of the entry, you can see multiple photos of pieces in private collections.)
Now see, my car got hit by a meteor that same night just a couple of miles away. That's why I'm sure it was a meteor even though I have no other evidence that it happened. The car that was hit by the big meteor was owned by someone I knew. And it was a meteor, it didn't become a meteorite until it hit my car.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Now see, my car got hit by a meteor that same night just a couple of miles away.
And what is your evidence of that?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
And what is your evidence of that?
What else could it have been?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
What else could it have been?
A rock thrown up by the tire of another car, something falling off a car in front of you, something falling off a tree or power line over you, something dropped by a bird. For example. If there had been multiple pieces of Peekskill recovered, and your hit took place within a minute or two of the hammer fall, I'd conciser it a realistic possibility. But with only one piece found by anyone, anywhere around the fall with people looking for them and with people knowing that there is money in it, I find it highly implausible that you were hit by a meteorite. With meteorite falls, there is one piece, or there are lots of pieces. And if there were lots of pieces, some of those extra ones would have been found.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
A rock thrown up by the tire of another car, something falling off a car in front of you, something falling off a tree or power line over you, something dropped by a bird. For example. If there had been multiple pieces of Peekskill recovered, and your hit took place within a minute or two of the hammer fall, I'd conciser it a realistic possibility. But with only one piece found by anyone, anywhere around the fall with people looking for them and with people knowing that there is money in it, I find it highly implausible that you were hit by a meteorite. With meteorite falls, there is one piece, or there are lots of pieces. And if there were lots of pieces, some of those extra ones would have been found.
There were no other cars around me. It was raining heavily so unlikely that any bird was flying an dropped anything. My car was hit within minutes of the hit in Peekskill, which was just a few miles away. So I don't have any convincing proof it wasn't a meterorite, and until I do I'm going to stick to my story as unlikely as it is

And jeez, it's a pretty neat coincidence anyway, a meteor hits the car of someone I know at approximately the same time and location when something cracks the side view mirror of my car.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM

I more or less totally missed it. I had earbuds in and was watching Netflix. I thought I heard something, but shrugged it off as just the landscaping company plowing snow.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

TriPolar, if you have no evidence at all, then the most likely explanation for what happened to your car was absolutely nothing happened. But it sounds like you're saying that you do have evidence of some sort-- What was it? A sound? A dent in the car? A broken window? A flash of light while you were driving? All of those are evidence, and we can't even venture to guess what caused "it" if we don't know what "it" was.

Oh, and the Peeksklll meteor was seen from pretty much the entire eastern US. My mom and I saw it in central Ohio, and my sister also saw it in the DC area. So it's not at all implausible that someone might have seen this Michigan meteor from 150 miles away.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Here are the reported siting locations so far. The meteorites on the ground are going to be a number of miles west of wherever the explosion happened directly overhead. My best guess is somewhere in the area of Lansing. The biggest pieces will be furthest west.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-17-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
TriPolar, if you have no evidence at all, then the most likely explanation for what happened to your car was absolutely nothing happened. But it sounds like you're saying that you do have evidence of some sort-- What was it? A sound? A dent in the car? A broken window? A flash of light while you were driving? All of those are evidence, and we can't even venture to guess what caused "it" if we don't know what "it" was.

Oh, and the Peeksklll meteor was seen from pretty much the entire eastern US. My mom and I saw it in central Ohio, and my sister also saw it in the DC area. So it's not at all implausible that someone might have seen this Michigan meteor from 150 miles away.
I had a broken side mirror and the minor circumstantial evidence that a meteor did hit a car a few miles away. Any unknown object hitting a car has some non-zero chance of being a meteor, but that number has a lot of 0s to the right of the decimal point. In may case I think there is at least one less 0.

ETA: And yes, a sound, I was driving, I heard the crack as the mirror broke.

Last edited by TriPolar; 01-17-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Meteor shit!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:02 PM

I saw a sudden brightening of the sky while walking the dog last night. It was quite bright for a few seconds in the Lansing area, though it was too cloudy to see the actual fireball. Pretty cool, I thought it was either a meteor or some transformer blew in the area.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Meteor shit!
been decades since I've seen Creepshow.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Several years ago I saw (from here in Fort Worth) a big fireball meteor streak across the sky. Very cool thing to see with your own eyes. It looked kind of green. I believe pieces of it were found on the ground southeast of Dallas.

On the TCU campus in Forth Worth, they have a very nice collection of meteorites on display in a small museum inside one of the science buildings. It's interesting to see the different types/compositions and also to see the provenance regarding how some of them were found or obtained. It's worth a visit if you're in the area and have an interest in such things.

https://monnigmuseum.tcu.edu/
Old 01-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Here is an astronomer guessing "around Mount Clemens", which is far east of my guess. The site I linked earlier now has an incident report up. I was hoping the viewing directions would be useful, but I can't make out anything useful in the tangle. The place where the meteor explodes is not where the meteorites land--the fragments continue to travel forward in "dark flight" for miles after that--the bigger pieces travel further than the smaller ones (air resistance slows the smaller pieces more quickly.) Assuming that the explosion happend roughly over the densest clump of reporters, (and that it was traveling east to west) then the fall is going to stretch out over an area to the west of that clump--so, closer to Lansing than Mount Clemens.

I also saw another piece on Google News speculating about the pieces going for $300 per gram, to which I say, not bloody likely. Depending on how much there is, I say closer to $50 to $100 per gram. That's the rough price range for comparable recentish witnessed falls in the US like Park Forest and Ash Creek.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM

For full comedic effect, place this thing in Hawaii a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
been decades since I've seen Creepshow.
I have occasion to exclaim "Mee-tee-or Shit!" once every couple years. Feels like I'm the only person alive who even knows the reference. When one of the cats is mauling a spider I'll sometimes mutter to the spidey, "Tell him to call you Billie." Again, nobody knows what I'm on about.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM

How far out would this have been felt?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Meteor shit!
ROTFLMAO!

A geologist could easily tell if a rock was a meteorite, or just a rock, or refer the owner to someone who could.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
A geologist could easily tell if a rock was a meteorite, or just a rock, or refer the owner to someone who could.
The average geologist has probably handled as many meteorites as the average American veternarian has treated coatimundi. (The same goes for astronomers.) You really need to go with a professional meteoriticist or an experienced collector.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Here is an astronomer guessing "around Mount Clemens", which is far east of my guess. The site I linked earlier now has an incident report up. I was hoping the viewing directions would be useful, but I can't make out anything useful in the tangle. The place where the meteor explodes is not where the meteorites land--the fragments continue to travel forward in "dark flight" for miles after that--the bigger pieces travel further than the smaller ones (air resistance slows the smaller pieces more quickly.) Assuming that the explosion happend roughly over the densest clump of reporters, (and that it was traveling east to west) then the fall is going to stretch out over an area to the west of that clump--so, closer to Lansing than Mount Clemens.

I also saw another piece on Google News speculating about the pieces going for $300 per gram, to which I say, not bloody likely. Depending on how much there is, I say closer to $50 to $100 per gram. That's the rough price range for comparable recentish witnessed falls in the US like Park Forest and Ash Creek.
I live in downtown Mount Clemens, and was hoping I’d see a fresh impact in the snow from my window. No luck. I shall remain a thousandaire.

Meteors make me think of Creepshow every time.

Last edited by cmyk; 01-17-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 PM

I'm not finding a trace of anything from the timeframe and location on doppler radar. That doesn't leave me confident that there is much of anything on the ground to find.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

On the July day when I first saw corn smut in my backyard garden, I got cold chills. I thought, "A lot of monster movies start like this!"
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM

I'm scared to even google "corn smut"
Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:

"God dammit, I missed!"

That's not the first time, either. Pops lived in Detroit when he was a kid. One night, when he was already tucked in bed, a bright flash lit up the room. His parents and older sister were out on the porch at the time and saw the meteor go by. IIRC, it crashed across the river, about 30 miles into Ontario, though I don't know if anyone ever found any of it. This was in the late 30's or early 40's and Pops was young enough to spend the rest of the night worried about a meteor hitting their home.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Crow View Post
That's not the first time, either. Pops lived in Detroit when he was a kid. One night, when he was already tucked in bed, a bright flash lit up the room. His parents and older sister were out on the porch at the time and saw the meteor go by. IIRC, it crashed across the river, about 30 miles into Ontario, though I don't know if anyone ever found any of it. This was in the late 30's or early 40's and Pops was young enough to spend the rest of the night worried about a meteor hitting their home.
You have a very rare thing here--an ancestor's childhood story of an observed meteor that crashed over the horizon from them that actually checks out!

(BTW, if you want a piece of your father's meteorite, here's a 2.94g piece for $347.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-17-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 PM

Doesn't matter how often or infrequent the stories, I always think meteors are cool.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm scared to even google "corn smut"
It looks nasty, but not in a way one might think. It's perfectly SFW.

I have heard that it's a delicacy in some Central American regions.