Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 AM

Movies where significant scenes or entire plots had to be deleted and reshot due to offscreen events

With All the Money in the World having to extensively reshoot scenes to replace Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer due to the former's sexual assault allegations all within a month of release, I was wondering what other films had to basically scrap entire characters, scenes or even plots due to something happening off-screen at the last minute.

Note, this doesn't include shelved films due to lack of studio interest (The Red Dawn remake wound up being shelved for a year due to MGM's dire financial situation and during this was decided to replace the Chinese soldiers with North Korean ones but the initial shelving had nothing to do with that) or films delayed for other reasons like weather or cast sickness, it has to involve an actual controversy. Also depending on the scenario movies where an actor dies and they just shoot around them only count if they completely cut them out of the film or significantly reduce their role, as opposed to creatively shooting around them like in The Crow" and Furious 7.

Another movie I remember that wound up having to be extensively re-shot because of a real-life controversy was Gangster Squad, apparently the original ending sequence involved a shoot-out at a crowded movie theater. However the movie was suppose to come out a few months after the 2012 Aurora movie theater shooting and the studio felt it was in very bad taste to leave the sequence in so they wound up delaying the film several months and having to reshoot the entire ending sequence as well as scenes that built-up to it. As a result in the finished film the ending feels very rough and placeholder-y for obvious reason.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:34 AM

I'll sneak in to mention one of the most famous examples, though it was just a tiny bit of audio that had to be changed. In Dr. Strangelove the Slim Pickens character said
Quote:
“Survival kit contents check. In them you’ll find:
– One forty-five caliber automatic
– Two boxes of ammunition
– [six other items]
– One issue of prophylactics
– Three lipsticks
– Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff.”
Between filming and release, John F. Kennedy was shot dead in Dallas. Pickens was called back to the studio to change 'Dallas' to 'Vegas.'
Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM

If I remember correctly, near the end of shooting of Troy, a storm wiped out the section of enormous Trojan wall they'd built. So they had to rebuild this huge structure for just a few crucial shots in the final cut. Added a ton to the budget.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Plan 9 from Outer Space had to make adjustments after its star died.

More seriously, The Crow had to make adjustments after the death of Brandon Lee.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-17-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Jean Harlow died while filming Saratoga. The had to complete it using stand-ins.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM

Pretty famously Doctor Strangelove had to shelve an entire sequence at the end that involved -- no kidding - a pie fight in the War Room, at the end of which it is announced that "The President is Dead". Kennedy's assassination did that in. It also resulted in Slim Pickens' line "Shoot, a fella could have a real weekend in Dallas with that stuff" to "...a weekend in Vegas..."

The Dave Barry movie Big Trouble, which involved terrorists putting a bomb aboard an airplane in Miami, was delayed for a year after the events of 9/11.

One sequence in the first Spider Man movie involved him spinning a web between the two towers of the World Trade Center to trap a helicopter. That apparently was supposed to appear in trailers. It got axed after 9/11, too.

The ending of Men in lack II was supposed to take place at the World trade Center, but that had to be changed after 9/11 as well.

On Dr. Stranfelove:

Quote:
Original ending[edit]

The cream pie fight was removed from the final cut.
It was originally planned for the film to end with a scene that depicted everyone in the war room involved in a pie fight.

Accounts vary as to why the pie fight was cut. In a 1969 interview, Kubrick said, "I decided it was farce and not consistent with the satiric tone of the rest of the film."[36] Critic Alexander Walker observed that "the cream pies were flying around so thickly that people lost definition, and you couldn't really say whom you were looking at."[12] Nile Southern, son of screenwriter Terry Southern, suggested the fight was intended to be less jovial: "Since they were laughing, it was unusable, because instead of having that totally black, which would have been amazing, like, this blizzard, which in a sense is metaphorical for all of the missiles that are coming, as well, you just have these guys having a good old time. So, as Kubrick later said, 'it was a disaster of Homeric proportions.'"[12]

Effects of the Kennedy assassination on the film[edit]

A first test screening of the film was scheduled for November 22, 1963, the day of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The film was just weeks from its scheduled premiere, but because of the assassination, the release was delayed until late January 1964, as it was felt that the public was in no mood for such a film any sooner.[45]

One line by Slim Pickens, "a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff", was dubbed to change "Dallas" to "Vegas" since Dallas was where Kennedy was killed.[46] The original reference to Dallas survives in the English audio of the French-subtitled version of the film.

The assassination also serves as another possible reason that the pie-fight scene was cut. In the scene, after Muffley takes a pie in the face, General Turgidson exclaims: "Gentlemen! Our gallant young president has been struck down in his prime!" Editor Anthony Harvey stated that the scene "would have stayed, except that Columbia Pictures were horrified, and thought it would offend the president's family."[47] Kubrick and others have said that the scene had already been cut before preview night because it was inconsistent with the rest of the film.[46]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove

Last edited by CalMeacham; 01-17-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

The 2002 Spiderman movie, shot in 2001, had Spiderman swing on the World Trade Towers. The scene was cut for obvious reasons.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 AM

The original script for the film Across the Pacific featured Humphrey Bogart as a secret agent thwarting a Japanese plan to bomb Pearl Harbor. The actual Pearl Harbor attack occurred during filming, and the script was rewritten so that Bogart's character instead averted an attack on the Panama Canal.

John Huston, the director, was called up for military service before filming ended, and was replaced by Vincent Sherman, who directed the final few scenes.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
One sequence in the first Spider Man movie involved him spinning a web between the two towers of the World Trade Center to trap a helicopter. That apparently was supposed to appear in trailers. It got axed after 9/11, too.
I actually saw a trailer with that scene (and mine was not the only derisive laugh in the theater). If I remember right, that was a year or more before the movie came out.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 AM

John Landis' segment of the "Twilight Zone" movie had to be rearranged a bit, due to the death of Vic Morrow.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:08 AM

The original Red Dawn had to cut a scene where the Russians shoot up a McDonald's, due to a mass shooting at a McDonald's in San Ysidro just before release. You can still see a photo of the Soviet soldiers standing outside a McDonald's in the promo photos.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

The next episode of Top Chef is going to be interesting. The guest judge is John Besh who was accused by multiple women of sexual assault between the taping and airing of the episode. Apparently, the episode features some pretty heavy cutting to completely excise his role from broadcast.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 AM

First one that comes to mind is Back to the Future, which shot for several weeks with Eric Stoltz in the Marty McFly role before he was replaced by Michael J. Fox, who apparently had been the preferred choice all along. I believe the official story was that Fox was granted a release from his TV contract at the last minute, enabling his casting, but from what I've read "creative differences" on Stoltz' part were significant factors as well. Not sure this fits the "offscreen events" criteria, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 01-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 AM

a very quick shot of the first World Trade center was in the opening of the sopranos. It was actually shown in the mirror of a car .

There was also going to be a big plot where Tony's mother was to testify against him in court but that was cut due to the death of Nancy Marchand who played his mother.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

The ending of Fever Pitch, with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore as baseball fans, had to be rewritten to incorporate the Boston Red Sox' unexpected 2004 world championship.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
John Landis' segment of the "Twilight Zone" movie had to be rearranged a bit, due to the death of Vic Morrow.
Vic Morrow was rearranged a bit, too.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:29 AM

the original manchurian candidate movie was not shown for a long time and the story was that it was removed due to the JFK killing. Other people though said that was not the reason.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:45 AM

The first episode of the TV show 24 opened with a plane bombing. It was supposed to premier on October 30, 2001 but was delayed a week because of the 9/11 attack, and the opening scene was altered to remove some of the scenes of the plane exploding.

The Bourne Identity was changed significantly to portray the CIA as less of a bad guy after 9/11. There's a Wiki with more 9/11 changes to movies and TV.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

"The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson"

Quote:
Due to the prominence of the World Trade Center in the plot, the episode was removed from syndication after the September 11 attacks.[6][22] By 2006, the episode had come back into syndication in some areas; however, parts of the episode were often edited out.[7] One previously such edited item is a scene of two men arguing across Tower 1 and Tower 2, where a man from Tower 2 claims, "They stick all the jerks in Tower One". Co-executive producer Bill Oakley commented in retrospect that the line was "regrettable".
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Exorcist: The Beginning counts, I would think.

Quote:
Exorcist: The Beginning is a 2004 prequel to The Exorcist. Directed by Renny Harlin. The movie was retooled from Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist for fears that Dominion would not be as successful and the studio wanted a more classic horror movie. Both movies use the same sets and locations, and have basically the same plot.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM

The filming of the TV miniseries Peter the Great ran over schedule, and the star, Maximilian Schell, had to move on because of a prior commitment. The series was completed using an obvious double whose face was always hidden or photographed in the dark. (This was satirized brilliantly on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show.)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'll sneak in to mention one of the most famous examples, though it was just a tiny bit of audio that had to be changed. In Dr. Strangelove the Slim Pickens character said

Between filming and release, John F. Kennedy was shot dead in Dallas. Pickens was called back to the studio to change 'Dallas' to 'Vegas.'
They took out the pie fight for the same reasons, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
The 2002 Spiderman movie, shot in 2001, had Spiderman swing on the World Trade Towers. The scene was cut for obvious reasons.
I saw that trailer in the theater, but wasn't under the impression it was a full scene from the movie. I thought they filmed it exclusively for the trailer. Was it really in the movie?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Not quite what the OP is asking, but there's an interesting continuity error in The Bonfire of the Vanities involving an "offscreen event". The production started in New York City, shooting exterior scenes in the city. Then they took a break for a couple weeks while everyone relocated to Hollywood to shoot the interior scenes on soundstages. During that break, Melanie Griffith got breast implants.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was re-written, cast, and shot after the death of Heath Ledger. Multiple other actors stepped in to fill the role.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:49 PM

Chris Farley had completed approximately 80% of the voice work for the title role of Shrek, but it all had to be redone with Mike Myers after Farley's death.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I saw that trailer in the theater, but wasn't under the impression it was a full scene from the movie. I thought they filmed it exclusively for the trailer. Was it really in the movie?
My understanding is that the scene with the helicopter strung up between the towers was just for the teaser trailer (considering there was no scene remotely similar in the movie), but there was a scene of him climbing the tower.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Anchorman originally had a terrorist/bombing subplot. That subplot didn't test well, what with 9/11/2001 being too recent in memory, and the zoo/bear subplot was substituted, and shot months later. I was an extra for three weeks during the original shoot, and was surprised when I was called up months later for a week of re-shoots. Luckily I hadn't cut my long hair or gotten rid of the personal wardrobe items I'd worn in the original shooting.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Not a movie, but an episode of Friends scheduled to air early in the 2001 fall season featured Monica and Chandler being detained at the airport after Chandler joked about having a bomb. It was pulled after 9/11 and replaced with a much lamer subplot.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for, but I read somewhere that an impersonator was hired after James Dean's death to redo several lines of dialogue in his last movie.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Jean Harlow died while filming Saratoga. The had to complete it using stand-ins.
I knew there was an old movie where that had been done; thanks for knowing who and what it was.

The "Spice Girls Movie", which I realize is very forgettable (and no, I haven't seen it) had to have its script revised 3 times due to references to Gianni Versace, Princess Diana, and Mother Teresa, who all died within about a month of each other during the movie's shooting.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 PM

Oliver Reed died of a heart attack during the filming of Gladiator. They did some digital manipulation of pulling him out of one background and putting him into another so that they could kill off his character via careful editing and new shots with body doubles vs. having him simply disappear from the film with no explanation.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 PM

In the Curse of the Pink Panther, much of David Niven's dialogue was unusable due to his advancing Lou Gehrig's disease, so the producers hired impressionist Rich Little, who dubbed much of his dialogue.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 01-17-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 PM

The 1993 movie The Program originally contained a scene where some characters lay down on the center line of a busy street. Some people IRL tried the same thing; one died and others were injured, so new prints were released without that scene.

Funnily enough, the main characters in The Notebook do the same thing, and I don't recall anyone trying it and getting killed or injured. Of course, that scene takes place late at night, with almost no traffic. And The Notebook wasn't aimed at the same audience as The Program.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

The hero on the TV show The Greatest American Hero originally had the name Ralph Hinckley. The pilot aired shortly after John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan. In one of the opening scenes, Ralph Hinckley says his name, but they covered up the vocals with the sound of a jet flying overhead. They later changed his name to Ralph Hanley or Ralph H when it was said on air. After the first season, his last name reverted to Hinckley.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:44 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
The 1993 movie The Program originally contained a scene where some characters lay down on the center line of a busy street. Some people IRL tried the same thing; one died and others were injured, so new prints were released without that scene.

Funnily enough, the main characters in The Notebook do the same thing, and I don't recall anyone trying it and getting killed or injured. Of course, that scene takes place late at night, with almost no traffic. And The Notebook wasn't aimed at the same audience as The Program.
The scene in The Program was also shown in commercials and the trailer. A much wider audience saw it. On the other hand I didn’t know The Notebook had a similar scene because I’ve never seen it and the scene was not in its promotion.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In There Will Be Blood, the roles of brothers Paul and Eli Sunday were intended to be played by two different actors. Several weeks into filming, Kel O'Neill was fired and Paul Dano (who was already playing Paul) took on the role of Eli as well. Some scenes had to be reshot.

This change unfortunately left me completely confused through the whole movie and ruined it for me. I couldn't figure out whether they were supposed to be identical twins or one guy pretending to be two identical twins.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:41 AM

Production on the 1983 film Brainstorm was put on hold, and some parts of the script had to be re-written, due to Natalie Wood's death. A few scenes were shot using her sister as a double.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 AM

Scene in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," as described in the trivia section of IMDB:

Quote:
According to Eli Wallach, when it came time to blow up the bridge, Sergio Leone asked the Spanish army captain in charge to trigger the fuse, as a sign of gratitude for the army's collaboration. They agreed to blow up the bridge when Leone gave the signal "Vai!" (Go!) over the walkie-talkie. Unfortunately, another crew member spoke on the same channel, saying the words "vai, vai!", meaning "it's OK, proceed" to a second crew member. The captain heard this signal, thought it was for him and blew the bridge; unfortunately, no cameras were running at the time. Leone was so upset that he fired the crewman, who promptly fled from the set in his car. The captain was so sorry for what happened that he proposed to Leone that the army would rebuild the bridge to blow it up again, with one condition: that the fired crewman be re-hired. Leone agreed, the crewman was forgiven, the bridge was rebuilt and the scene was successfully shot.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
Men in lack II.
Sounds like lesbian erotica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
First one that comes to mind is Back to the Future, which shot for several weeks with Eric Stoltz in the Marty McFly role before he was replaced by Michael J. Fox, who apparently had been the preferred choice all along. I believe the official story was that Fox was granted a release from his TV contract at the last minute, enabling his casting, but from what I've read "creative differences" on Stoltz' part were significant factors as well. Not sure this fits the "offscreen events" criteria, but thought I'd throw it out there.
Actually, Fox had to film both the movie and the show at the same time. He'd film the show during the day, and the movie after shooting for his show wrapped for the day.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

"Smokey and the Bandit 3" originally had Jackie Gleason playing both the sheriff and The Bandit. I don't think they were supposed to be two different roles for Gleason, but the Sheriff was going to be "The Bandit" in that the Enos brothers made an offer to the retiring sheriff to make a special run. Apparently this confused audiences, so Jerry Reed was brought back this time to play The Bandit.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The scene in The Program was also shown in commercials and the trailer. A much wider audience saw it. On the other hand I didn’t know The Notebook had a similar scene because I’ve never seen it and the scene was not in its promotion.
Right. But my point is, The Program was a high-octane film. The dangerous stunt was in keeping with the overall tone, and it was meant to appeal to the kind of people who act first and think later, so I'm not surprised some dumbasses tried it on. The Notebook is a glurgefest, but it still has two scenes that would be dangerous IRL: this one, and the scene on the Ferris wheel*. Fortunately, though, the kind of people who take it seriously apparently have not been inspired to risk getting run over or breaking their necks for the sake of a romantic gesture. Then again, I've heard that cruise ship crews have had to specifically forbid passengers from trying to recreate the "flying" scene from Titanic. The majority of people are kinda dumb.

*Rachel McAdams' character is on a Ferris wheel with her date. Ryan Gosling's character is not going to let a silly thing like that get in his way, so he climbs up, while the wheel is stopped, and dangles one-handed from a bar until she accepts a date with him. Look, I only watched it, on DVD, because the people I was with wanted to, and I figured, what the heck, I'll be able to get the references...
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
The hero on the TV show The Greatest American Hero originally had the name Ralph Hinckley. The pilot aired shortly after John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan. In one of the opening scenes, Ralph Hinckley says his name, but they covered up the vocals with the sound of a jet flying overhead. They later changed his name to Ralph Hanley or Ralph H when it was said on air. After the first season, his last name reverted to Hinckley.
The hero of Philip K. Dick's story we Can Remember it for you Wholesale was named Quayle. When they made it into the movie* total Recall they changed the name to Quaid, because we had a Veep named Quayle.

Even long afterwards in 2012, when Quayle was long out of office, the remade version of the film still has the character named Quaid, not Quayle.

*With plenty of padding, which I've maintained is lifted from Robert Sheckley's novel The Status Civilization. Some of this stuff remained in the 2012 remake of the movie.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Plan 9 from Outer Space had to make adjustments after its star died.
"Adjustments". That's a mighty charitable assessment, and almost English-level of understatement.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Then again, I've heard that cruise ship crews have had to specifically forbid passengers from trying to recreate the "flying" scene from Titanic. The majority of people are kinda dumb.
I got the impression that the foredeck on cruise ships was a working area, ropes and anchor chains and such, and was off-limits to passengers. Other than that, just going to the front of the ship and spreading your arms out doesn't strike me as all that dangerous.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I got the impression that the foredeck on cruise ships was a working area, ropes and anchor chains and such, and was off-limits to passengers.
Probably. But prior to 1997, it might not have been so much "off limits" as "not of interest to passengers". Afterwards, people might have tried climbing over that stuff in order to have their moment.

Quote:
Other than that, just going to the front of the ship and spreading your arms out doesn't strike me as all that dangerous.
Certainly. But being right on the prow would be dangerous, not to mention getting in the way of the crew.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 PM

The death of Phillip Seymour Hoffman with a few weeks of filming left in, "Hunger Game: Mockingjay" caused the reshuffling of unfilmed scenes to utilize other characters...although there was talk of using CGI or digital manipulation, in the end, they rewrote the scenes for other actors and simply took his character out of other scenes...
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 PM

A lot of Superman II was shot as part of Superman: The Movie and not used, which ticked off a some of the actors since they essentially got paid once for shooting two movies. Brando refused to do re-shoots or shoot new "Jor-El" scenes without getting paid again (See? It's not just Mark Wahlberg!)and was replaced by Kal-El's mom; Gene Hackman's dialogue was dubbed over a body double shot from behind for a couple of scenes.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

The suicide of his daughter caused Zack Snyder to step away from Justice League. Joss Whedon stepped in and completed filming and also apparently changed some of the original vision.

The original directors of the new Han Solo movie were fired for turning it into a wacky farce. Ron Howard was brought in to finish filming and to do extensive reshoots. It’s a good bet the finished product will look nothing like the original directors wanted it to.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Then again, I've heard that cruise ship crews have had to specifically forbid passengers from trying to recreate the "flying" scene from Titanic. The majority of people are kinda dumb.
The smart cruise lines set up a false prow in a safe spot with a good view of the ocean and let the guests re-enact to their hearts' content.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
"Adjustments". That's a mighty charitable assessment, and almost English-level of understatement.

The reality is that Bela Lugosi was already dead before Plan 9 even started filming. But Wood had some already shot stock footage of Lugosi, and adding that footage into the movie let him put Lugosi's name on it.