Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Urbanredneck Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5,923
So now "pink pussy hats" are offensive??

This out that the pink pussyhats worn in the womens parade last year are now seen as offensive.

Why? The above article states " The sentiment that the pink pussyhat excludes and is offensive to transgender women and gender nonbinary people who don't have typical female genitalia and to women of color because their genitals are more likely to be brown than pink."

Another article on the topic.

The left is amazing.
  #2  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 33,632
That's OK. we'll just consider Brietbart and InfoWars to speak for all conservatives.
ETA: any particular reason you didn't put this in the Stupid Liberal Ideas thread?

Last edited by running coach; 01-19-2018 at 02:14 PM.
  #3  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 PM
control-z control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,153
If people keep catering to this sort of nonsense then it will keep happening. Or they just need bigger hats to include all the inclusive language. Or wear multiple hats at once.
  #4  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Machine Elf Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 10,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
...and to women of color because their genitals are more likely to be brown than pink."
That one's a bit of a reach. Afterall, caucasian female genitalia aren't pink on the outside; the pink parts are internal, regardless of external skin color.

If the color of the hat were about external skin tone rather than internal, then you could just as well call them dick hats.
  #5  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 16,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
If the color of the hat were about external skin tone rather than internal, then you could just as well call them dick hats.
Much like the MAGA caps are ass hats.
  #6  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Riemann Riemann is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Posts: 4,064
That's not pink, it's fuchsia. Nobody's noo-noo is fuchsia. Anyway, if they are being mothballed, I would like one please.
  #7  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,854
I once heard a guy say that women don't get pregnant from legitimate rape.

The right is amazing! And by amazing, I mean fucking stupid.

I mean, we are attributing to an entire group the thoughts and feelings of a few people, right?
  #8  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 21,321
Dude, you just posted a story from Free Republic?

Seriously?
  #9  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 37,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Dude, you just posted a story from Free Republic?
He did--as proof that the left is amazing. I mean, seriously, I warn folks not to use your irony meter on the Internet, because it's gonna void the warranty; this is a prime example of why.
  #10  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:31 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 33,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
He did--as proof that the left is amazing. I mean, seriously, I warn folks not to use your irony meter on the Internet, because it's gonna void the warranty; this is a prime example of why.
You have to get a professional grade irony meter. The consumer grade models are only rated up to family discussions.
  #11  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:32 PM
DrCube DrCube is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Caseyville, IL
Posts: 6,780
I thought this was about actual vagina hats.

The "pussy hats" in the OP are just pink knitted or crocheted caps. Big whoop. I feel like the number of people offended by those is probably in the single digits. It only takes one idiot on twitter or tumbler to post something stupid and then the whole right wing blogosphere is up in arms about "liberals are offended by THIS now!" and "The latest SJW controversy!" and "PC Run Amok!". Talk about being triggered.
  #12  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Living Well Is Best Revenge Living Well Is Best Revenge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,201
Let's consider the source here........
  #13  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 33,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I thought this was about actual vagina hats.
I thought the thing about the teeth was a myth.
  #14  
Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 22,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
This out that the pink pussyhats worn in the womens parade last year are now seen as offensive.

Why? The above article states " The sentiment that the pink pussyhat excludes and is offensive to transgender women and gender nonbinary people who don't have typical female genitalia and to women of color because their genitals are more likely to be brown than pink."

Another article on the topic.

The left is amazing.
A long time ago, I briefly worked at a small newspaper. There were all sorts of cranks who wrote letters.

One I specifically remember was an older women complaining about some sort of publication -- like a Sears catalog or Macy's circular or something like that -- that had a picture of a young girl dressed in the sort of more formal clothes you'd expect a 7 year old to wear to Christmas dinner. The blouse/dress/whatever was trimmed with kind of a lace.

So, this older woman -- I specifically remember that there was a rosary on the stationery -- complains that it is inappropriate to put lace on a young girl, because lace is often used in pornographic magazines and movies to sexualize women. (This was written in such a specific way that the woman simply must have engaged in some kind of study of such materials -- which was sort of crazy in its own right.)

The point of this is that CRANKS ARE CRANKS, and speak only for themselves. It would be a fucking embarassment if I said, "Check out this Catholic lady -- she doesn't want 6 year old girls to wear frilly clothes because that makes them whores! What is up with those Catholics?"

Urbanredneck, I don't know why this is such a difficult lesson for people to learn.
  #15  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM
bobot bobot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
The link is freep .com. I'm not familiar with that. Anyone here familiar with it? Is it one of those "click here to find your daily something to be outraged about" sites?
  #16  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 12,415
The New Default is just to be offended by everything, regardless of context or intention. Yeah. That works.
  #17  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Rick Kitchen Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 14,087
freep.com is the Detroit Free Press, not the Free Republic.
  #18  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The link is freep .com. I'm not familiar with that. Anyone here familiar with it? Is it one of those "click here to find your daily something to be outraged about" sites?
That is "The Detroit Free Press Part of the USA Today Network."
  #19  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 21,321
OK, I didn't actually click the link because, Free Republic.
  #20  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:23 PM
TriPolar TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The New Default is just to be offended by everything, regardless of context or intention. Yeah. That works.
That is an offensive concept. I'd say more but I just offended myself.
  #21  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:29 PM
bobot bobot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,526
Alright, I clicked the link. And found:
"...
"I personally wonít wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like itís unifying," said Phoebe Hopps, founder and president of Women's March Michigan and organizer of anniversary marches Jan. 21 in Lansing and Marquette.
"I care more about mobilizing people to the polls than wearing one hat one day of the year." ..."


What the fuck is wrong with that sentiment? I have a feeling I'm missing the outrage here, and would need someone like Hannity or Morton Downey Jr. to spell it out for me.
  #22  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Two Many Cats Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I thought the thing about the teeth was a myth.
I thought everyone was shaving down there now.

Not that I do, because what's the point?
  #23  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,512
Georgia O'keeffe must be rolling over in her grave on this.
  #24  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,053
Quote:
"I personally won’t wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like it’s unifying,"

...

What the fuck is wrong with that sentiment?
Well, how few people "hurt" is the threshold for you to give up on something that you would otherwise do? 10 people on the planet? 5 people? 50 people? You will never, ever, ever, find some subject that doesn't hurt "a few people's feelings." You could say "I like vanilla ice-cream" and if the audience is big enough you will find people with a parent killed in an accident or robbery while going to buy vanilla ice cream, or with a relative that worked for slave wages in a vanilla farm, or who ran an indie ice cream store and had their livelihood destroyed by a big chain. To try to avoid to ever inadvertently hurt anyone is a fool's errand.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-19-2018 at 06:41 PM.
  #25  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Well, how few people "hurt" is the threshold for you to give up on something that you would otherwise do? 10 people on the planet? 5 people? 50 people? You will never, ever, ever, find some subject that doesn't hurt "a few people's feelings." You could say "I like vanilla ice-cream" and if the audience is big enough you will find people with a parent killed in an accident or robbery while going to buy vanilla ice cream, or with a relative that worked for slave wages in a vanilla farm, or who ran an indie ice cream store and had their livelihood destroyed by a big chain. To try to avoid to ever inadvertently hurt anyone is a fool's errand.
My personal threshold has been demonstrated to be over six billion people but I understand it can vary. It does lead one to wonder how many bothered people Phoebe Hopps ran into before she decided the pussyhats were too offensive. Or perhaps it was just one person who was convincing enough to sway her certainties? I can see how a person arguing from a perceived minority position would be sensitive about losing support.
  #26  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
doorhinge doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That's OK. we'll just consider Brietbart and InfoWars to speak for all conservatives.
ETA: any particular reason you didn't put this in the Stupid Liberal Ideas thread?
"I personally wonít wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like itís unifying," said Phoebe Hopps.

Just to clarify, do you consider Phoebe Hopps to be a Brietbart, or InfoWars, spokesperson, or are you just tired of talking about the OP?
  #27  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
"I personally wonít wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like itís unifying," said Phoebe Hopps.

Just to clarify, do you consider Phoebe Hopps to be a Brietbart, or InfoWars, spokesperson, or are you just tired of talking about the OP?
Let me help. He was saying that for the OP to have, well, any point at all, the OP had to be presuming that Phoebe Hopps's personal decision was in some way a reflection of liberals as a whole (in a way that my hatred of the 'Sherlock' show apparently isn't). If this sort of assumption is a reasonable assumption to make, it's similarly reasonable to assume that Brietbart and InfoWars speak for and reflect on you.
  #28  
Old 01-19-2018, 07:14 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 33,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
"I personally wonít wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like itís unifying," said Phoebe Hopps.

Just to clarify, do you consider Phoebe Hopps to be a Brietbart, or InfoWars, spokesperson, or are you just tired of talking about the OP?
Nah, it's the sheer idiocy of finding a random liberal with a silly opinion and claiming that opinion is a general opinion of liberals.

I should ask you why you want the FBI shut down.

How about gun owners are all antisemetic?
  #29  
Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 PM
ThelmaLou ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 12,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The New Default is just to be offended by everything, regardless of context or intention. Yeah. That works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
That is an offensive concept. I'd say more but I just offended myself.
Hey, no fair! *I* got offended first!
  #30  
Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 PM
susan susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 8,625
Death by vanilla. I don't like the pussy hats, so I won't be wearing one tomorrow.
  #31  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 75,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Well Is Best Revenge View Post
Let's consider the source here........
Why is it I never see any actual liberals being offended by any of these silly things? It's always a conservative who's offended. If liberals are always complaining like conservatives complain they do, shouldn't I occasionally be seeing a liberal complaining? But I don't; it's always a conservative saying he heard some liberals saying something.
  #32  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 22,743
Never heard of this alleged complaint and offense.

So Chimera Libby Lib Liberal says: FALSE.
__________________
Little packets of Fear and Outrage, sold like crack from your Computer and TV

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
  #33  
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Beckdawrek Beckdawrek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 3,552
My barometer for all things SJWIsh (the lil'wrekker) says this a bunch of baloney. She said that the hat is ugly and the color is horrible, and she for one would not be wearing it! So there!
  #34  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,093
You're always going to have some idiot offended by something. The hats are stupid anyways, so if it gets people to stop wearing them, maybe that's not a bad thing.
__________________
Itís not you, itís your sports team.
  #35  
Old 01-20-2018, 01:41 AM
Penfeather Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
This out that the pink pussyhats worn in the womens parade last year are now seen as offensive.

Why? The above article states " The sentiment that the pink pussyhat excludes and is offensive to transgender women and gender nonbinary people who don't have typical female genitalia and to women of color because their genitals are more likely to be brown than pink."

Another article on the topic.

The left is amazing.
I'm sure you looked lovely in yours.
  #36  
Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 AM
guestchaz guestchaz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 1,759
I'm not seeing what's offensive about the hats themselves, but "pink pussyhat", seems like there should be a better name for them.
__________________
"I find your lack of candy disturbing" Darth Desserticola
  #37  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 AM
BigT BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 33,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Well, how few people "hurt" is the threshold for you to give up on something that you would otherwise do? 10 people on the planet? 5 people? 50 people? You will never, ever, ever, find some subject that doesn't hurt "a few people's feelings." You could say "I like vanilla ice-cream" and if the audience is big enough you will find people with a parent killed in an accident or robbery while going to buy vanilla ice cream, or with a relative that worked for slave wages in a vanilla farm, or who ran an indie ice cream store and had their livelihood destroyed by a big chain. To try to avoid to ever inadvertently hurt anyone is a fool's errand.
This is basically true, but what does that have to do with chastising the woman for drawing that line at a place where you wouldn't? Why does the fact that it's not possible to never offend or never trigger or never hurt someone's feelings mean it's wrong if someone chooses in that instance to change their actions?

I mean, ultimately, it's not a decision based on a number of people. It's one based on how important what you are doing is, and how much hurt you are causing. Sure, more people means more hurt, but that's not the sole criteria.

And, well, we're human. We're not consistent. Maybe this one issue you're more sympathetic to than this other one, so you're willing to do more for that issue. Maybe the person saying something is someone you care about, or in a group you care about. Or maybe you're just in a sympathetic mood in general. Heck, maybe you just didn't want to do it in the first place, and this gives you an excuse.

It seems to me that these types of arguments, while more-or-lesss true, are used more often for two things I disagree with. One is to take "not try" further and just not try not to offend people in general. The fact that you can't do it perfectly is used as an excuse to never try at all. The other is when someone who does try to a level beyond what you do is painted as doing something wrong.

If this person doesn't want to wear the pink hat because someone was offended by it, then that's perfectly fine. They decided to draw the line where they did on this particular issue at this particular time. The pink hat just isn't important enough to them.

These stories that paint these things as "SJWs run amok, taking over the world" or even "look at how horrible these liberals are!" are just stupid. They are outrage-bait, memes in the classical sense, designed to piss people off enough to spread, getting more clicks.
  #38  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 AM
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 15,482
Their leader is quoted as saying "I personally wonít wear one because if it hurts even a few people's feelings, then I don't feel like itís unifying. I care more about mobilizing people to the polls than wearing one hat one day of the year." Jeeezh! With the far left inflamed with militant and fascist sentiments like that, it's no wonder Real Americans finally elected a Real Man as President.

Thanks for the link, OP! It's crap like this campaign against pink pussies that make reactions like Timothy McVeigh's not entirely unreasonable.
  #39  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,869
I agree with BigT. There's nothing objectionable about someone else using a different metric for potentially offensive behavior than I am.

The problem is when everyone is expected to be sensitive to every potential issue using the most easily offended person as a benchmark for what is morally acceptable. I don't see that happening here.
  #40  
Old 01-20-2018, 11:12 AM
doorhinge doorhinge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Let me help. He was saying that for the OP to have, well, any point at all, the OP had to be presuming that Phoebe Hopps's personal decision was in some way a reflection of liberals as a whole (in a way that my hatred of the 'Sherlock' show apparently isn't). If this sort of assumption is a reasonable assumption to make, it's similarly reasonable to assume that Brietbart and InfoWars speak for and reflect on you.
That's not helpful, but thanks for trying. The OP's point was that the left is amazing.

The 2nd post in this thread could be described as an attempted hijack if it wasn't in the IMHO forum. Is the pink pussyhat offensive, or not? Some people, apparently, think it is. Some people think it's symbol of solidarity. Some people think, myself included, that it's a really ugly hat with a really stupid name.

Having said that, I question why the subject of actually wearing ugly, stupid, pink pussyhats shouldn't be discussed?
  #41  
Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Darren Garrison Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 6,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This is basically true, but what does that have to do with chastising the woman for drawing that line at a place where you wouldn't?
I wasn't personally "chastising" her, just pointing out the futility of her philosophy. It reminds me of a story "supposed to be true" I read once about a naturalist and a Buddhist a century or so back. The naturalist showed the Buddhist microbes in a drop of water under a microscope. The Buddhist begged and begged and begged the naturalist to give him the microscope. Finally the naturalist gave un--at which point the Buddhist smashed the microscope to pieces. The Buddhist had thought he was being a good Buddhist, eating no meat, wearing no leather, even avoiding swatting flies or stepping on ants. But then he discovered that he was unavoidably killing countless tiny animals every moment if his life, and it shook his worldview to the core. He felt the need to destroy the microscope to spare his fellow monks this revelation.

Trying to avoid doing anything at all that offends anyone at all is as futile as smashing the microscope when it reveals a fact that you find disturbing. Giving up on anything and everything that potentially might offend a microscopic minority doesn't make you "woke", it makes you a timid, obsequious butt-monkey.
  #42  
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Jophiel Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 17,303
Someone forgot to tell all the liberals what the liberals really think because there's over a quarter million people in downtown Chicago right now and a whole heck of a lot of them are wearing pink hats.

My wife's hat is black but I think that was an aesthetic choice (she's not black)
  #43  
Old 01-20-2018, 07:20 PM
susan susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 8,625
Pussy hats everywhere I look. A variety of colors, and some with Hello Kitty.
  #44  
Old 01-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
That's not helpful, but thanks for trying. The OP's point was that the left is amazing.
He implied that this was a broadly held view, not that it was the opinion of one nutball. FWIW, I agree that the hats are kind of stupid.
  #45  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM
DCnDC DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Dude, you just posted a story from Free Republic?
No, he did not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
freep.com is the Detroit Free Press, not the Free Republic.
The Free Republic website is, shockingly, www. freerepublic.com/



ETA: broke link because nobody should be going there.

Last edited by DCnDC; 01-25-2018 at 11:14 AM.
  #46  
Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Pussy hats everywhere I look. A variety of colors, and some with Hello Kitty.
If there was one with Hello Kitty, I might wear one.
__________________
Itís not you, itís your sports team.
  #47  
Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
That's not helpful, but thanks for trying. The OP's point was that the left is amazing.
For certain definitions of "amazing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
The 2nd post in this thread could be described as an attempted hijack if it wasn't in the IMHO forum. Is the pink pussyhat offensive, or not? Some people, apparently, think it is. Some people think it's symbol of solidarity. Some people think, myself included, that it's a really ugly hat with a really stupid name.
The second post in this thread could be described as a turnip, were somebody inclined to do so. It's a free country.

And I fully agree that it's a really ugly hat with a stupid name. However I have no esthetic sensibilities whatsoever so I wouldn't recommend anybody stop wearing the hat on my say-so. (I recommend they stop calling them pussy hats on my say-so, though. That's objectively stupid.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Having said that, I question why the subject of actually wearing ugly, stupid, pink pussyhats shouldn't be discussed?
Sure it can be discussed! Right alongside the subject of how stupid, ugly, and pink it is to pretend that this one liberal's decisions impart "amazingness" to the entire left.

So discussing the wearing of the hats. What would you wear with them? A turtleneck?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017