Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2018, 09:11 PM
alphaboi867 alphaboi867 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 14,055
Do White House domestic staff still work during a goverment shutdown?

Obviously the Secret Service and other security personnel are considered essential and keep working, but what about the White House Chief Usher and the domestic staff that serves the First Family? Do they keep working, or is the First Family suddenly responsible for their own housekeeping, laundry, meals, etc.?
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
  #2  
Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,570
Generally speaking, White House staff would be exempt from the government shutdown. It may come down to a job by job decision.
  #3  
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
But do they get paid?
  #4  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Johanna Johanna is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Altered States of America
Posts: 12,720
Picturing the garbage piling up there... sink overflowing with dirty dishes... catbox on the way to becoming a Superfund site.
  #5  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 PM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 39,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
But do they get paid?
They would normally not get paid until the shutdown is resolved.
  #6  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 PM
running coach running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 34,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Picturing the garbage piling up there... sink overflowing with dirty dishes... catbox on the way to becoming a Superfund site.
I'm pretty sure Trump is toilet trained.
  #7  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 PM
Northern Piper Northern Piper is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: The snow is gone!
Posts: 26,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I'm pretty sure Trump is toilet trained.
Not during the time his brain was in Bill the Cat's head.
  #8  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Mr. Greenjeans Mr. Greenjeans is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 1,140
I heard no one is better at using the toilet than Trump.
  #9  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 PM
Luciano700 Luciano700 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
I heard no one is better at using the toilet than Trump.


Can we stop sucking Trumpís dick for once??? Left and right
  #10  
Old 01-22-2018, 05:49 AM
Spoons Spoons is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 14,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Not during the time his brain was in Bill the Cat's head.
"Ack!"

Vote for Bill and Opus. "This time, why not the worst?"
  #11  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:12 AM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 39,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I'm pretty sure Trump is toilet trained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Not during the time his brain was in Bill the Cat's head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greenjeans View Post
I heard no one is better at using the toilet than Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
"Ack!"

Vote for Bill and Opus. "This time, why not the worst?"
Moderator Note

Most of you should know better than this. Political potshots are not permitted in General Questions. No warning issued, but you don't have to take every opportunity to bring Trump into things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post


Can we stop sucking Trumpís dick for once??? Left and right
You are a newbie here, and may not be aware that junior modding like this is against the rules as well. If you have a problem with a post, report it. Also, you should remain civil in this forum.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
  #12  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:49 AM
scr4 scr4 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,534
I imagine the domestic staff are contractors, i.e. the government contracts a company which hires people to do the work. As I understand, there will be no payments on most contracts during the shutdown, but those people will keep working until the contract runs out of money. I don't know if there are ways to pay for contractors who perform essential jobs.

Last edited by scr4; 01-22-2018 at 06:51 AM.
  #13  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
I imagine the domestic staff are contractors, i.e. the government contracts a company which hires people to do the work. As I understand, there will be no payments on most contracts during the shutdown, but those people will keep working until the contract runs out of money. I don't know if there are ways to pay for contractors who perform essential jobs.
The must be some process for paying for services deemed essential. The exception that comes to mind is the waver granted to provide access to the NFL playoffs for our troops. Basically someone had to get paid to keep the broadcast going, which I'm more than OK.
  #14  
Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM
rbroome rbroome is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,093
The President pays for some of the services at the White House. Those would obviously continue. And anything remotely related to safety would continue (for instance grounds keeping-can't let those plants get out of control). I suspect the public tours will be canceled.
  #15  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Dewey Finn Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 25,855
[QUOTE=scr4;20739431]I imagine the domestic staff are contractors, i.e. the government contracts a company which hires people to do the work./QUOTE]
I assume that extreme vetting is needed before anyone (even the janitorial staff) is allowed to work in the White House, so I really doubt the domestic staff are contractors.
  #16  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Arkcon Arkcon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
And anything remotely related to safety would continue (for instance grounds keeping-can't let those plants get out of control). I suspect the public tours will be canceled.
And this is the case, nation-wide, for a variety of government services. Yes, there's a shutdown, yes people can't tour the Statue of Liberty today, but no, the arm isn't going to fall off tomorrow. No we're not going to halt payment to the US military, world-wide, and say, "Look guys, go ahead and engage in piracy or become mercenaries, wherever you happen to be, until Executive and Legislative branches become friends." Although it would be supremely ironic if there's a trash issue at the White House or the Rotunda, a shutdown doesn't mean that.
  #17  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM
scr4 scr4 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I assume that extreme vetting is needed before anyone (even the janitorial staff) is allowed to work in the White House, so I really doubt the domestic staff are contractors.
There are routine processes for extreme vetting of contractors. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a thing as a defense contractor.

Last edited by scr4; 01-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.
  #18  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 77,377
In other words, stop paying for the piddly little cheap stuff because you can't afford it, but keep on paying the big expensive stuff.
  #19  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
No we're not going to halt payment to the US military, world-wide, and say, "Look guys, go ahead and engage in piracy or become mercenaries, wherever you happen to be, until Executive and Legislative branches become friends."
I thought one of the main hardships of the shutdown was that the military pay is deferred until the government opens back up.
  #20  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Yep, military isn't getting paid. Get off your ass congress and actually show that you support our troops instead of just saying the words.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 01-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
  #21  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 23,781
I recall the White House Garden got neglected three years ago during the last government shutdown.

Only essential staff and services were allowed to work. Obviously the garden was a very low priority. I remember thinking that Michelle could go out there, turn on a hose, and pick whatever was ripe. But I think they let the ripe vegetables rot. Another symbolic gesture during the shutdown.

Won't be an issue this time because it's winter. The current shutdown will be resolved long before Spring.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 09:45 AM.
  #22  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Yep, military isn't getting paid. Get off your ass congress and actually show that you support our troops instead of just saying the words.
The military does indeed get paid. This meme should be stopped.
  #23  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
The military does indeed get paid. This meme should be stopped.
This post and the ones claiming they don't get paid are both half-true: They will eventually get paid, but unless Congress authorizes it they will not receive it until the shutdown is over.
  #24  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,614
Those who are working because they are exempted from the shutdown are in fact earning pay, however, the next payday may be delayed to an uncertain date. (In past shutdowns, a payday would be delayed, however, the Trump Administration has been making vague statements that it wishes to mitigate the effects of a shutdown, so it is not exactly clear how that will work.)

Those who are furloughed from work are not earning pay. However, when this has happened in the past, Congress has passed a law concurrent with the budget bill that reopens government operations that directs that furloughed workers shall receive pay for the time they were furloughed. There is no guarantee this will happen, but it is probably a pretty good bet.

I do not know whether White House domestic staff are exempted from the shutdown. If I had to guess, there is almost certainly a skeleton crew to make sure that trash is removed, someone on-hand to respond to plumbing problems, and similar basic functions. I have a hard time seeing how domestic staff could carry out other types of work, like perhaps redecorating the White House for Valentine's Day.
  #25  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
The military does indeed get paid. This meme should be stopped.
No, the military is not getting paid. From the cited article.

Quote:
Although active duty troops and Guard and Reservists on active duty orders are expected to show-up for work during a shutdown, they will not get paid unless Congress passes a separate piece of legislation to do so. Such a bill was awaiting action from the House and Senate Saturday.

Without that legislation, known as the Pay Our Military Act, troops will receive partial paychecks Feb. 1 only for days worked prior to Jan. 20.
I can find no indication that the Pay Our Military Act has been passed. In fact, McConnell himself blocked an attempt to do so.
Quote:
An earlier effort to protect military pay was made by Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri, but it was blocked by Senate Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, who said the priority should be reaching agreement on a full funding plan. But he conceded an interim military pay carveout might eventually be necessary.
This may change at any moment, but my latest Google News feed doesn't have it, so I'm assuming no bill.
  #26  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Colibri Colibri is offline
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 39,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Yep, military isn't getting paid. Get off your ass congress and actually show that you support our troops instead of just saying the words.
Moderator Note

Let's refrain from political commentary in GQ. No warning issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
  #27  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 23,781
It would be interesting to read the thread from three years ago. I think it was in Mundane.

I suspect we'll see exactly the same script followed. Highlighting the services shut off and building pressure to find a solution.

I'm getting a strong dose of Déjà vu.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
  #28  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I suspect we'll see exactly the same script followed. Highlighting the services shut off and building pressure to find a solution.
The Director of the Office of Management and Budget, Mick Mulvaney, has literally said the opposite.


http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-team-did.html
  #29  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
The military does indeed get paid. This meme should be stopped.
So back up your assertion with some facts, like a link showing that congress has authorized payment to the military. The cite I provided was from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say, it's a fact backed up by people who provide information to our servicemen. Their pay is defered, which means they cannot pay bills, that is a hardship.

Last edited by Si Amigo; 01-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
  #30  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:27 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 23,781
I hope you're right Ravenman. The less this shutdown hurts ordinary people the better.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
  #31  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Wallet Wallet is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
And this is the case, nation-wide, for a variety of government services. Yes, there's a shutdown, yes people can't tour the Statue of Liberty today, but no, the arm isn't going to fall off tomorrow.<snip>
Nitpick:
The Statue of Liberty (and Ellis Island) will indeed be open during the government shutdown. New York State will cover all costs until the impasse is over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/n...-shutdown.html
  #32  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
The cite I provided was from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say, it's a fact backed up by people who provide information to our servicemen.
While it may support the military in its own way and for its own purposes, military.com is not officially a military site.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.
  #33  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 AM
aceplace57 aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 23,781
I have heard several joking comments at work, that the shutdown would end within minutes if the Capital Police and Secret Service weren't paid & walked off the job.

It's amazing how a little skin in the game would change everyones attitude.

They probably won't get paid but will work.

It'll all get worked out in a few days anyhow. Whatever missed pay will be issued afterwards.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-22-2018 at 11:08 AM.
  #34  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 AM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
So back up your assertion with some facts, like a link showing that congress has authorized payment to the military. The cite I provided was from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say, it's a fact backed up by people who provide information to our servicemen. Their pay is defered, which means they cannot pay bills, that is a hardship.
From your site:

"Although active duty troops and Guard and Reservists on active duty orders are expected to show-up for work during a shutdown, they will not get paid unless Congress passes a separate piece of legislation to do so. Such a bill was awaiting action from the House and Senate Saturday.'

In at least the last 30 years, the military has never once had their paychecks deferred. If something hasn't happened in 30 plus years, I think you need definitive evidence of a change in process to declare that it will happen next year. DFAS employees have always been categorized as "essential" and Congress has always funded them

And "military.com" certainly isn't an "actual military publication" if by that you mean a military or federal government publication. The ".com" should have given you a hint.
  #35  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
While it may support the military in its own way and for its own purposes, military.com is not officially a military site.
So does that make the facts less true? I'm just asking that if he is going to call it a meme based upon my source that he back up his assertion with a factual cite as well. I do believe that my cite is credible, do you agree?
  #36  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
So does that make the facts less true? I'm just asking that if he is going to call it a meme based upon my source that he back up his assertion with a factual cite as well. I do believe that my cite is credible, do you agree?
I did not question whether the facts were or were not correct-I questioned your claim that the facts came from a military site...which they did not.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
  #37  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
So does that make the facts less true? I'm just asking that if he is going to call it a meme based upon my source that he back up his assertion with a factual cite as well. I do believe that my cite is credible, do you agree?
Well, you stated that the source was:

"from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say, it's a fact backed up by people who provide information to our servicemen."

Your quote was an attempt to give it some additional gravitas. So yes, this does in fact make it less true. And it's not. Military.com isn't a government source.

Additionally, getting paid late (which would be the worst case scenario) is much worse than the "military isn't getting paid" which your originally stated. The military works during a shutdown and get paid during a shutdown. You've moved the goalposts.

Bottom line: This bumper sticker quote is meant to inflame the discussion and it isn't correct.

Last edited by spifflog; 01-22-2018 at 11:22 AM.
  #38  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
Well, you stated that the source was:

"from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say, it's a fact backed up by people who provide information to our servicemen."

Your quote was an attempt to give it some additional gravitas. So yes, this does in fact make it less true. And it's not. Military.com isn't a government source.

Additionally, getting paid late (which would be the worst case scenario) is much worse than the "military isn't getting paid" which your originally stated. The military works during a shutdown and get paid during a shutdown. You've moved the goalposts.

Bottom line: This bumper sticker quote is meant to inflame the discussion and it isn't correct.
Wait. You were the one to post that "The military does indeed get paid."

Of course it's true that every employee does get paid eventually for work done during the shutdown. The real-world point is that without the Pay Our Military Act the military would not get paid until the shutdown ends. That might mean missing a paycheck if the shutdown were to last until February. Everybody else seems to understand that. Si Amigo said that specifically.

The post I just quoted is so confused I'm not sure what you're claiming or think you're claiming. But Si Amigo is right.

I just heard news that a compromise has been reached and that the Senate will vote on a short-term bill today. If all goes well, everyone will get their paychecks
on schedule. That reality doesn't change the facts of the current situation.
  #39  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Both sides are leaving out a word to bolster their arguments.
"They do not get paid yet"
"They will be paid eventually"
  #40  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Wait. You were the one to post that "The military does indeed get paid."

Of course it's true that every employee does get paid eventually for work done during the shutdown. The real-world point is that without the Pay Our Military Act the military would not get paid until the shutdown ends. That might mean missing a paycheck if the shutdown were to last until February. Everybody else seems to understand that. Si Amigo said that specifically.

The post I just quoted is so confused I'm not sure what you're claiming or think you're claiming. But Si Amigo is right.

I just heard news that a compromise has been reached and that the Senate will vote on a short-term bill today. If all goes well, everyone will get their paychecks
on schedule. That reality doesn't change the facts of the current situation.
Let's cut through the bullshit here, shall we?

The quote "the military doesn't get paid" is meant to inflame the discussion with at best a half truth.

The common usage of "Jack doesn't get paid" means that he did work, and would never see the money owed to him.

Why don't some people use the phrase "the military will get paid late?" Because it doesn't have nearly the same impact.

I was in the military for 30 plus years ending last year. We never didn't get paid, and we were never paid late. The military pay date is still 10 days away, so there was more than enough to make this right - as has always been the case. But let's continue on beating the drum because some half ass web site said so.

Last edited by spifflog; 01-22-2018 at 11:52 AM.
  #41  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:16 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 30,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
I thought one of the main hardships of the shutdown was that the military pay is deferred until the government opens back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
Why don't some people use the phrase "the military will get paid late?"
Si Amigo said that in so many words before your first post. You're the one who is making it into a political statement.
  #42  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Si Amigo said that in so many words before your first post. You're the one who is making it into a political statement.
Si Amigo wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
Yep, military isn't getting paid. Get off your ass congress and actually show that you support our troops instead of just saying the words.
Maybe at your desk that translates in so many words to, "they actually do get paid, and over the last 30 years they've always been paid fully and on time but maybe not this time because some one-off wed site said so"

But at my desk, "the military isn't getting paid" in so many words means "the military isn't getting paid."

It's a big deal to me because we always trot out the military to make a point, and I get tried of being portrayed as poor helpless souls that can't manage our lives.

And because I had an E-6 ask me today if it was true that he wasn't going to get paid.
  #43  
Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
And because I had an E-6 ask me today if it was true that he wasn't going to get paid.
Did you tell him that he would get paid in a timely manner, or did you tell him he would get paid eventually? When it comes to paying the bills and buying the groceries, there is a crucial difference between the two. If my superiors told me "You will be getting paid" and there was no paycheck on payday, you then saying "I didn't say you would be paid now!" would not make you look good.
Or do base commissaries take I.O.U.s now?

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-22-2018 at 01:43 PM.
  #44  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 PM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Did you tell him that he would get paid in a timely manner, or did you tell him he would get paid eventually? When it comes to paying the bills and buying the groceries, there is a crucial difference between the two. If my superiors told me "You will be getting paid" and there was no paycheck on payday, you then saying "I didn't say you would be paid now!" would not make you look good.
Or do base commissaries take I.O.U.s now?
I did the most informal of all polls with the question what does the following statement mean:

"You [the military] will not get paid" what do you think that means? I asked three people that passed my desk over the last hour, and without prompting they said "it means I'll never get paid."

When I asked them if if could mean that they would get paid late but would get paid, they all said a variation of "well the statement you asked said "not get paid;" you didn't say "would get paid late. Those are two different things." I agree.

Additionally, over at least the last 30 years, the military has always been paid on time, even during lapses in appropriations. There are 10 days left until the next pay day, there is no sign that the procedures used over the next 30 plus years will change.

The site is to fight ignorance, right?

The statement "the military will not get paid" is incorrect.

The statement "the military will get paid late" is incorrect.

But by all means keep trying to find a way to parse those statements in a way to make they correct.

Even saying that, the larger point, that this shutdown is somehow screwing the military is wrong. There are a lot of things wrong with this shutdown. The fact that our elected officials can't get their act together is wrong. The fact that the fringe on both sides tees them up is wrong.

But stating that military pay is being messed with (when it's not) and it's on Facebook memes, and emails everywhere over the weekend, is just the type of nonsense that we should be fighting here.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the one point I'm wrong on.

Last edited by spifflog; 01-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.
  #45  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I did the most informal of all polls with the question what does the following statement mean:

"You [the military] will not get paid" what do you think that means? I asked three people that passed my desk over the last hour, and without prompting they said "it means I'll never get paid."

When I asked them if if could mean that they would get paid late but would get paid, they all said a variation of "well the statement you asked said "not get paid;" you didn't say "would get paid late. Those are two different things." I agree.

Additionally, over at least the last 30 years, the military has always been paid on time, even during lapses in appropriations. There are 10 days left until the next pay day, there is no sign that the procedures used over the next 30 plus years will change.

The site is to fight ignorance, right?

The statement "the military will not get paid" is incorrect.

The statement "the military will get paid late" is incorrect.

But by all means keep trying to find a way to parse those statements in a way to make they correct.

Even saying that, the larger point, that this shutdown is somehow screwing the military is wrong. There are a lot of things wrong with this shutdown. The fact that our elected officials can't get their act together is wrong. The fact that the fringe on both sides tees them up is wrong.

But stating that military pay is being messed with (when it's not) and it's on Facebook memes, and emails everywhere over the weekend, is just the type of nonsense that we should be fighting here.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the one point I'm wrong on.
Where in my post did I ask you about polls? I asked you what you specifically told that E-6.
  #46  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
The cite I provided was from an actual military publication so this is not a meme as you say....
And I get my car insurance from an actual five star general officer!
  #47  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM
spifflog spifflog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Where in my post did I ask you about polls? I asked you what you specifically told that E-6.
Like many of us, he's seen the postings on other web sites and seen the scare mongering emails. I told the E-6 what you've seen me write:

"The last thing either of the parties wanted to do is be the party that doesn't pay the military on time. In all my 30 years in the military, we were never once paid late; during sequestration, CRs or other lapses in appropriations. Federal civilians do get paid late frequently in these scenarios, but the President and the Democrats said that wouldn't be the case this year. It would be almost impossible to foresee a situation where Federal civilians would be paid on time but the military would be paid late or not at all. And with 10 days left until your next payday, there is a lot of time to put the legislation that we used in the past in place to ensure that it doesn't happen this time. I can't imagine a scenario where anything would happen other than you'll be paid fully and on time."
  #48  
Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Si Amigo Si Amigo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of 8 Mile
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
Like many of us, he's seen the postings on other web sites and seen the scare mongering emails. I told the E-6 what you've seen me write:

"The last thing either of the parties wanted to do is be the party that doesn't pay the military on time. In all my 30 years in the military, we were never once paid late; during sequestration, CRs or other lapses in appropriations. Federal civilians do get paid late frequently in these scenarios, but the President and the Democrats said that wouldn't be the case this year. It would be almost impossible to foresee a situation where Federal civilians would be paid on time but the military would be paid late or not at all. And with 10 days left until your next payday, there is a lot of time to put the legislation that we used in the past in place to ensure that it doesn't happen this time. I can't imagine a scenario where anything would happen other than you'll be paid fully and on time."
Now you are backpedaling and saying there is still time for them to get paid in a timely manner. And have yet to do the leg work and quote a cite that supports your position.

So I finish by saying, good day to you sir!
  #49  
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 56,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
Like many of us, he's seen the postings on other web sites and seen the scare mongering emails. I told the E-6 what you've seen me write:...
1. What I saw you write was that you told him he would get paid, period. If instead you told him what you just told us I wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place.
2. "Those who think that history simply repeats itself are doomed to be crushed by it."

Last edited by Czarcasm; 01-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.
  #50  
Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Amigo View Post
And have yet to do the leg work and quote a cite that supports your position.
There is no question that paychecks will now go out on time on February 1st, since the government is reopened through February 8th.

https://federalnewsradio.com/governm...-the-shutdown/


Quote:
The good news for those in the military is that they will be paid for all work before the Jan. 19 pay period. That means the Feb. 1 paycheck they receive will be paid in full. . . . Congress will need to pass a bill between now and Feb. 15 to make sure the military is paid for time worked during the shutdown.
The bill referenced in the second sentence has passed, though as I said only covers through February 8th. If there is a subsequent shutdown, things may change.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017