Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM

What is your relationship to alcohol?

I thought of doing this as a poll, but reasoned that there would be more room for nuance if left open for discussion.

So, the question as aforementioned...

(I am a #6)

1) I fucking hate it. I never drink alcohol, and I despise all people that do.
2) I don't drink, and drunk people bore me, but I'm not militant about other people's intake
3) I'm not that fussed. Will have a drink occasionally at a social.
4) I like drinking in moderation. I'm not often shit-faced, but it is a helpful social lubricant/catalyst.
5) I like drinking; I could do without it, but my life would be less rich.
6) I like drinking, and I would struggle if all alcohol on the planet suddenly vanished.
7) I drink every day, and really struggle to not do so; I don't show up to work drunk, but when I get home from work I reach for the bottle pretty quickly.
8) I am an alcoholic and I always have at least some booze in my system for all of my waking hours
9) I am constantly shit-faced

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Closest to #2.

However I do drink, just rarely. Not that I kept close track of it but I think the last alcoholic beverage I had was the evening of November 8, 2016. And I got pretty sloppy drunk that night for the first time in maybe 10 or 15 years.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM

I'm close to #1, though "despise" people who drink is a bit strong--have less respect for them than I might otherwise is more accurate. (I have the same opinion on all other mind-altering recreational substances.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 02-12-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM

I think I am number 5. Most days I'll have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine with dinner or at a bar. I like the taste and how it balances the flavors of foods.

I haven't been really drunk since college, decades ago.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Number 7 for me.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Not sure which category I fall into. My body can't handle alcohol (I think I lack the enzyme for processing alcohol, or something like that,) and so it makes me really nauseous and ill, but if it weren't for that, I think I'd probably be drinking so much that I'd be an alcoholic or semi-alcoholic by now.

If I must choose, I'm probably 2#. But it's not because I dislike alcohol.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM

#3 for me.

I drank more in college before I realized it just turned me into an emotional asshole. Then I stopped entirely because I was an emotional asshole WITHOUT drinking and figured alcohol would just REALLY make it worse. Now I'll have a beer with pizza or wings or an occasional meal, but if I never drank again I wouldn't be too torn up.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm somewhere between 2 & 3. I don't understand why some folks (including some of my family) can't seem to accept a social situation without alcohol. And I don't think drunks are funny.

I rarely drink away from home because alcohol makes me sleepy. And even at home, I might have a Kahlua and cream every 3 or 4 months if I remember to get some cream. Just last week, I dumped the remnants of 2 bottles of wine down the drain - one was from 2011 and it was still halfway full. I never drank any of it - just used it for cooking a few times.

Bottom line - I'm not anti-alcohol. I just don't get the appeal.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 AM

I'm a 3.5. I can go weeks or a month without having any alcohol, but if I cook a nice meal for my wife I will occasionally open a bottle of wine to have with it. I believe red wine in moderation is actually good thing for your health. A beer on a hot day can be very refreshing, but so is iced tea.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 AM

I'm somewhere between #5 and #6 . There was a long stretch of my life where I was a solid #7 but now I have a different relationship. I guess that depends whether or not you believe in AA's tenet "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic"
Old 02-12-2018, 11:10 AM

2. Drunk people don't just bore me, they truly unnerve me...it's like witnessing people suffering the effects of being poisoned, all the more unnerving because they did it voluntarily. I don't have a problem being around people who are drinking in moderation, but I cannot be around people who are outright drunk.

I don't touch alcohol myself. After too many bad experiences in the past - some of which still make me physically nauseous to think about - I have realized it is not worth it. Not when there are other substances that provide a superior mental experience and don't have the same physical consequences.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 AM

#3 for me. I have a whole liquor cabinet 8' from me as I type this, filled with single malts and tequilas. But it's probably been a good 3 weeks since I touched any of it, and I had a single shot of Lagavulin on New Years Eve. I don't go to bars to drink and I think the last drink I had in a restaurant was close to two years ago.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 AM

3+. Drink in moderation but not as a social lubricant. A glass of wine or a beer or a mixed drink several times a week with dinner. Haven't been shitfaced in I don't know how long.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Alcoholics go to meetings. I am a drunkard. I avoid strong drink before breakfast.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM

I used to be about a 6.5, but as a health measure I'm now more of a 4. I try not to drink at all during the week, but cut loose on the weekends.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM

#2 and now you have to scan all of the answers not that everyone tells the truth anyway
Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 AM

I'm probably a 4.5 or so. I drank a beer last night, when I was home alone, because it sounded like it would go well with dinner. And I'd say at this point in my life, 80% of my social events involve some sort of drinking. Last time I had more than a couple, though, would have been New Years.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:23 AM

#5, just because it is hard to get strangers to share their story with you if you aren't drinking. And I like hearing other peoples stories.

At this age Hangovers take days for me to recover from, so I am annoyed if I over-imbibe these days.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM

#3 is probably closest. I'll have a couple drinks if I'm at a wedding or Christmas party but very rarely drink around the house or "just because". It's not a moral thing or even a conscious choice but, since I drink so rarely, it doesn't take much to make me feel it and I'm rarely setting out to feel tipsy.

I used to drink considerably more in college (and had much more tolerance) but it sort of shed off after entering the real world and then disappeared almost completely when I became a single parent and couldn't afford to be sitting around tossing back drinks.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'm between a 2 and 3. As the child of an alcoholic I used to be way closer to a #1 when I was in college but now that I'm a Full Blown Adult I don't worry too much about other people and what choices they are making. I do still get slightly annoyed when alcohol and the availability thereof, or the over-indulgence-of, makes an impact on anything I'm trying to do. But really, whatever.

To be honest, I've never experienced drinking in a way that made me feel "better" or any alcoholic beverage that I found to be tasty (minus the high-sugar stuff that is tasty for other reasons). All alcohol has a negative effect on my physically, and none of it tastes good (some of it tastes tolerable) so I suspect I am having a wildly different interaction with alcohol than most everyone else. And I admit that does make me jealous. I think I would totally drink beer if I could, or get drunk more if it made me feel good. But after much experimentation, that will never be the case for me.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:31 AM

#2. I don't drink because I became allergic to alcohol many years ago. I don't miss it much. I don't care if anyone else drinks as long as they don't drive drunk and as long as they don't become alcoholics and ruin their lives and those of others.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Are these the first 9 of the Twelve Steps?
If they are in order, I don't think it's going to end well.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Closest to #4, I would say. I love a good cocktail, and I love a good buzz, and alcohol is a great social lubricant. In Vino Veritas, as they say.

The "problem" is that I enjoy getting high *way* more than getting hammered, and I can get high daily with less appreciable risk of addiction and much less harm to my body, both acute and long-term. So if I'm going to alter my mental state with chemistry, I'm just going to spark a bowl.

About the only times I'll drink now are family events on my Mom's side - maybe twice per year (family events on Mrs. Homie's side consisting entirely of people sitting around talking, for hours on end).
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

It is interesting to see so many replies in the #2-#4 range, as in my social and familial circles #7 (and #9 in some cases...) has been the norm.

For me, I find having a few drinks on my own has its own particular therapeutic value; there is something about interrogating one's own thoughts after 2/3 of a bottle of sauvignon blanc which can be idiosyncratically illuminating. In fact, the thesis of my doctoral degree had its embryonic origins while I was in a pub in Cambridge.

Still, this isn't me suggesting that 'I am more clever when I am drunk' (I most certainly am not), nor 'Drunk people are more enlightened than teetotallers' (see previous), rather that at certain stages of the inebriation process I have access to certain thought-processes and emotional self-realisations that I wouldn't otherwise have.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 AM

In all seriousness, "recovering alcoholic" is an important omission from the list, with no real overlap to any of the descriptions. That's probably a significant percentage of the population.

Last edited by Riemann; 02-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 AM

I'm about a 4.5. I might have a few drinks during the week but no more than that, and possibly none at all. On weekends I'll definitely have some Friday and Saturday night but rarely drunk, though it does happen on rare occasions.

I love the refreshment of certain beers and I like scotches and gin martinis.

Where I could have problems occasionally is with red wine. I love pizza, including gourmet thin crust pizza, and having that with wine serves some wonderful, ritualistic purpose for me that can occasionally lead me into a bit of trouble.

If all alcohol was to disappear I would not have any problems with that except the thought that "it is such a beautiful evening out here on the terrace with the other patrons that it is a real shame that I can't have a nice, full-bodied, dry red with this wonderful pizza." Strange but true.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
In all seriousness, "recovering alcoholic" is a glaring omission from the list, with no real overlap to any of the descriptions. That's probably a significant percentage of the population.
Granted. Cite, though?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
Granted. Cite, though?
You want a cite that there are a significant number of recovering alcoholics?

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/smf-132_en.pdf

Last edited by Riemann; 02-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM

I love a beer or glass of wine, nice whiskey, G&T. Definitely life would be diminished without it.
Luckily, though I love alcoholic drinks I hate the feeling of being drunk or even tipsy. So I'll have a drink, 95% of the time with food and I bet I have a drink most days, but that's it. I got drunk a couple of times when I was a teenager and hated it so I just don't it. And I don't understand the mindset that some people have where they have one drink and have to have another. I like the taste but not the feeling so it is trivially easy to have one and go no further.

So I don't know where I fit on your chart.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 PM

About a 5. I have a beer or glass of wine almost every day, and have for years. On weekends it often goes up to two drinks a day. Sometimes even three, but not often. On vacations, 4 a day is not unheard of, starting at lunch, and a drink every couple of hours until dinner.

But I don't like being more than tipsy, and I almost never drink more than one drink per two hours.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Another 2.5 here.

Alcohol makes me sleepy and I am too much of a talker at social functions to spend the whole time dozing off on the couch. I realized very early on in my life that this tendency could possibly lead to me being taken advantage of, so it was best to keep talking and just nurse that one one wine cooler all evening.

It also tastes really nasty to me so I have to mask the alcohol with so much fruity sweetness that...why bother?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Probably somewhere between a 3 and a 4. I love getting a good buzz on occasion but I rarely drink at home and I often go multiple weeks without even thinking about having a drink.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

Small note at the bottom of that page:
Quote:
Because A.A. has never attempted to keep formal membership lists, it is extremely difficult to obtain completely accurate figures on total membership at any given time. The information shown here is based on reports given by
groups listed with general service offices (G.S.O.s) around the world and does not represent an actual count of those who consider themselves A.A. members.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
In all seriousness, "recovering alcoholic" is an important omission from the list, with no real overlap to any of the descriptions. That's probably a significant percentage of the population.
This is a crucial distinction to make. There are recovering alcoholics who might go on a horrible bender, and they're not doing it because they "fucking hate alcohol"...but their attitude towards "fucking hate alcohol" might depend on whether they're drunk or sober, and how successful that sobriety is being...and any number of things they might tell themselves about their situation to justify it.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM

I'm a big ol' 7.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM

#2 (I can't ... I'm Mormon). Shouldn't this be a proper poll?

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My relationship with alcohol?
Halfway between "kissin' cousins" and "friends with benefits".
Old 02-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Small note at the bottom of that page:
Sure, tbh I was a bit bemused about why I was being asked for a cite for (essentially) the fact that alcoholism is a widespread problem. That was what my 5 seconds of research came up with.

Last edited by Riemann; 02-12-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM

#3. I never drink when I'm out if I'm driving, not even one. We have wine, so I have a glass before dinner a couple of times a week, but beer bought for company stays in the fridge for months without me being interested. If I were living by myself I wouldn't drink at all. Most alcohol does nothing for me at all, I'd much prefer a Coke.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I'd say I'm a #3. I drink a little wine in the evening a couple of times a week. Usually Port or Sherry.

GaryM
Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:

No, that a significant proportion of the world population are self-identified recovering alcoholics. They are not.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to deliberately belittle the struggle that [ex-]alcoholics go through - and, yes, on my list I could have listed...

0) [Actually, I am a recovering alcoholic, and my relationship with alcohol is way more complicated than anything like this reductive list could ever articulate]

Let's consider that to be posthumously added. And apologies for its omission.

ffs
Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Used to be #4, these days I'm a #3. For example I had a white wine sangria at lunch the other day, but I've had the same set of beers sitting untouched in my fridge for a couple of months now. I don't think I'll ever quite get to a #2, but I'm edging close.

Odd thing it is for no particular reason. Just fallen out of what little habit I had.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Solid number 5 for me. In my teens and twenties it was a solid number 6, but I'm less interested now than I used to be. Probably the best measure of that is I am currently in the middle of a voluntary 5-6 month dry spell (yes, it really is entirely voluntary - no medical issues that I am aware of, other than being slightly overweight). I must admit though, I am looking forward to having a few drinks once I'm done with this.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM

23 feet to the Northwest.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

3+. I can go weeks or months without a drink, but sometimes will have one or two at a social event or when I am having a meal that would be complemented by a glass of wine. I get drunk at strict 17-year intervals and am not due for the next one for another couple of years. I have little to no patience for drunk people, and less than none for people who use their drunkenness as an excuse for poor behavior.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Between a 5 & 6. I really only drink on the weekends, and that typically entails drinking wine or beer around the house during the evening hours. I enjoy getting a little buzz on, but find as I get older, if I have even one too many, I feel it for a better part of the next day, and I don't like that.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 PM

A #2. I've never been drunk, and all the alcoholic drinks I've had in my life wouldn't fill a bucket. I prefer not to be around people who have been drinking, but don't despise them. But I do find people who are smoking pot to be far more pleasant company (I've never smoked pot either.)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
...Let's consider that to be posthumously added...
Thanks for clarifying, tbh I had in the back of my mind a momentary suspicion that maybe this was going to morph into one of those "alcoholism is not a disease, people should just have some self control" rants. Obviously not at all what this is about.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM

4.5 My spouse, and our social circle is never without a glass of wine in the evening. I am not in that category. I enjoy wine, but having a permanent glass handy reduces my enjoyment of it. Also, unlike my spouse and social circle, I appreciate mixed drinks and hard liquor. I will have one drink on a weekend evening, rarely two.

I appreciate the relaxing nature of small amounts of alcohol, but I do not desire being drunk. OK, maybe once a year for entertainment or to erase a particularly unpleasant day/week.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Somewhere between 4 and 5, I guess. I don't drink to get drunk. I enjoy the occasional craft brew or glass of scotch in the evening, might order a beer or margarita when we go out to dinner. But if all alcohol magically went poof one day and disappeared, it wouldn't bother me. I've seen the damage that alcohol abuse can do, both to a person and their loved ones, and I don't want that to be me.