Old 02-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Cliched "problems" in sitcoms that wouldn't bother you?

There are "problems" faced by characters in sitcoms that don't bother us.

Me: mixing up identical twin babies

In Full House, The Simpsons, and The Suite Life of Zack and Cody etc. the identical twin babies were possibly mixed up. This is seen as a big problem and hilarity generally ensues as they try to figure out which baby is which. But if they're newborns, who cares? It's not like they have any idea what their names are or a sense of identity yet. Unless one had a medical condition the other doesn't, what does it hurt if in the early days baby A becomes baby B? Sure, if they're not feed at the same time one baby might get an extra feeding one time, but whatever.

What clichéd problems faced by fictional characters wouldn't feel like a crisis if it happened to you?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

You're invited to some social event, but don't want to go. In a sitcom, you'd make up some hairbrained excuse, and then your story would fall apart, and you'd end up having to layer ever-increasingly absurd stories to cover up your previous absurd stories. In real life, you just say "No thanks, I'm just staying home and chilling this weekend".
Old 02-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Being a straight guy with two straight female roommates. I doubt I'm pretend that I was gay to do so.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You're invited to some social event, but don't want to go. In a sitcom, you'd make up some hairbrained excuse, and then your story would fall apart, and you'd end up having to layer ever-increasingly absurd stories to cover up your previous absurd stories. In real life, you just say "No thanks, I'm just staying home and chilling this weekend".
Alternatively, you'd come up with a transparent excuse, the other person would realize it was a transparent excuse, you'd both tacitly agree to accept the polite fiction, and no more would be said about it.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM

The whole "we're-having-the-boss-over-for-dinner-but-something's-gone-wrong-with-the-meal-so-we've-got-to-come-up-with-a-lie" business. (For example, as seen in The Simpsons' "22 Short Films About Springfield" with Skinner having Superintendent Chalmers over for lunch. You know..."steamed hams"?)

As I said in another post about that, I'd see nothing wrong with just admitting that there'd been a kitchen mishap and offering to take said boss to a nice restaurant. I rather think most people would understand that Murphy's Law sometimes occurs and that it's not some deliberate insult.
Turn the world around.
--Harry Belafonte (with the Muppets)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
And in real life you stop getting invitations because you're always "chilling this weekend". Win-win, ight?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
As I recall, there's a Father Brown mystery that has to do someone who'd rather sit in his comfy chair with a cheap paperback thriller, than talk to a visitor.

ETA: Yep, found it in "The Wisdom of Father Brown" - title redacted to avoid spoiler...

Last edited by Andy L; 02-18-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 PM

The two dates on the same night problem. Usually the gag is the havoc of jumping between the two unaware dates.

Jesus Christ, call the second one as soon as the mistake is discovered and apologize and hopefully reschedule. Problem solved.

Of course, that wouldn't be a show. So, introduce them to each other and go as a trio. That'll make for some comic drama in a talented writer's hands.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:16 PM

Anything involving a zit.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
The whole we're-having-the-boss-over-for-dinner-but...
You can stop right there. Did that EVER happen in real life? It's such a staple of shows like Bewitched, that I started to think maybe it was based on reality.

My dad would've been the Darrin Stevens having his boss over. My dad was VP of a bank in the 50's and 60's, for thirty years or so, and he got along great with his boss. He'd go golfing or play tennis with the boss and sometimes clients, but I asked my mom if he'd ever bring them home for dinner. (Now, on these sitcoms it was always on short or no notice, but I asked my mom if it EVER happened, even planned a month out...)

She just went Pfffft! and said "If he'd pulled that, I'd've said "Sorry, I'm going to be out of town that night. Don't know where or why, but waaaay out of town."
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
You can stop right there. Did that EVER happen in real life? It's such a staple of shows like Bewitched, that I started to think maybe it was based on reality.

My dad would've been the Darrin Stevens having his boss over. My dad was VP of a bank in the 50's and 60's, for thirty years or so, and he got along great with his boss. He'd go golfing or play tennis with the boss and sometimes clients, but I asked my mom if he'd ever bring them home for dinner. (Now, on these sitcoms it was always on short or no notice, but I asked my mom if it EVER happened, even planned a month out...)

She just went Pfffft! and said "If he'd pulled that, I'd've said "Sorry, I'm going to be out of town that night. Don't know where or why, but waaaay out of town."
My dad worked at Sears when he was in college, and his "boss" later became his brother-in-law. Does that count?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=701735
Quote:
This has been asked here before, and while there are lots of No's there are also Yes's.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 PM

Just serve him steamed hams.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Being a straight guy with two straight female roommates. I doubt I'm pretend that I was gay to do so.
He did that because his landlord wouldn't have let him stay otherwise.

Quote:
However, due to overbearing landlord Stanley Roper's intolerance for co-ed living situations, even in a multi-bedroom apartment, Jack is allowed to move in only after Janet tells Mr. Roper that Jack is gay.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:28 AM

Indeed. Janet and the revolving cast of blonde roommates were all aware that Jack was straight.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 AM

A lot of shows have the scenario of somebody finding themselves completely naked in public with no easy way of hiding (because they're locked out of their house when they were getting the paper in a towel, somebody steals their clothes when they were skinny-dipping/showering, or they were tricked into getting naked) and as they run around using their hands as the sole means of protecting their modesty they encounter a situation that requires the use of both hands or else they'd suffer injury or even death and they decide to panic and delay trying to make a literal life or death decision because they still wish to preserve their modesty (The most common scenario is they need to use both their hands to scale a fence or open a door because they're being chased by something usually an aggressive dog)

I'm positive 99.9% of actual people would instantly stop covering themselves to escape injury instead of amusingly futzing around looking at the fence and then looking at the dog and back.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM

The sympathetic male lead being upset and put out by his wife making more money...Yes this happens in real life, but dudes who feel that way are not sympathetic and aren't people you'd want to watch a show about.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Pretending to be the boss in your work place when your out-of-town parents/relatives/significant other visits because you *might* have inflated your job title. Could that ever happen in real life?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
Pretending to be the boss in your work place when your out-of-town parents/relatives/significant other visits because you *might* have inflated your job title. Could that ever happen in real life?
Or enlisting someone to play your (non-existent) spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend when relatives visit.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:33 PM

saw this on 3 different shows in 1 year : Boss is kicked out of house by his wife and has to spend the night with the employee who is not real fond of him.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Colibri:

Or enlisting someone to play your (non-existent) spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend when relatives visit.
One of my grad school classmates actually did this.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I was a total misanthrope in school, so I've always wondered if anybody really ever agonized about going to the prom.
My sister insists there is nothing wrong with living with your parents well into your late 40's. I remain sceptical.

Last edited by furryman; 02-19-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM

I've always known the story why Jack was "gay," but I always wondered: In the mid-70s, was being openly gay that much more accepted than having an opposite sex roommate?

I was born in 1980 and I've always known gay people, unmarried cohabitating couples, interracial couples. I've always been aware of judgment/non-acceptance of some of those things from some people. When I was 3 or 4 years old my mom and I were thrown out of our house because a co-worker gave her a ride to work. However, I would have perceived male/female roommate situation as pretty far down the list of "lifestyle" taboos.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
When I find myself in situations like that, I fall back on a line I learned from Hyde in That Seventies Show: "No thanks. I figure I'll do plenty of that when I die and go to hell."

As for the question in the OP, I'm always amused by the "problems" that crop up in Britcom shows like Fawlty Towers. They generally seem to be about just being too embarrassed to admit some trivial little mistake. Fer cryin' out loud, just tell them already and move on with your life!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
saw this on 3 different shows in 1 year : Boss is kicked out of house by his wife and has to spend the night with the employee who is not real fond of him.
You see, they don't have hotels for hundreds of miles from any of these towns. Amazing coincidence.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
My former boss actually started dropping hints about trying that, when he was going through a rough patch with his wife and stormed out for a couple of days. He didn't want to stay with his best friend because she'd guess where he was Because staying with a single female employee 5 years younger than the wife is just the best plan when you want said wife to stop being angry at you.

Thankfully they patched it up before I had to tell him nope, no way in hell. He could sleep at work, get a damn hotel or (my preferred version) just stop being an eejit, apologise, and admit he was wrong for once.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
I've always known the story why Jack was "gay," but I always wondered: In the mid-70s, was being openly gay that much more accepted than having an opposite sex roommate?

I was born in 1980 and I've always known gay people, unmarried cohabitating couples, interracial couples. I've always been aware of judgment/non-acceptance of some of those things from some people. When I was 3 or 4 years old my mom and I were thrown out of our house because a co-worker gave her a ride to work. However, I would have perceived male/female roommate situation as pretty far down the list of "lifestyle" taboos.
YEE-OWCH! Man, that's a rough story from childhood, mate.

I agree with you, too. In retrospect, if a landlord was too conservative to allow a man to room with two women, he would probably be more upset about renting to open homosexuals, I'd think.

Then again, I'm from Nebraska.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
The Ropers were the original landlords, right? As I recall, Mrs Roper knew Jack wasn't gay and just didn't care. The "gay" cover story was for the benefit of Mr Roper who could be swayed by his wife to let "gay" Jack stay there but likely would have put his foot down at heterosexual cohabitation.

After The Ropers was spun off and Mr Furley took over the building, the whole "Jack pretends to be gay" thing was already established so why change the concept now? Easier to just have Mr Furley be okay with it.

By the (admittedly low) standards of the day, both men were pretty accepting of Jack. Some "sissy" jokes and Stanley's comedic backpedaling when Jack would "act gay" towards him but they weren't calling him sick or perverted or anything.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM

knew a guy who worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years. They actually showed three's company there but he said it was so heavily censored you could not follow the plot.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:

I remember Bing Crosby interviewed by Barbara Walters in the mid 1970s. At one point he talked about how horrible it was for an unmarried man and woman to live together. Real disdain in his voice.
Don’t know how Bing felt about homosexuals.Ronald Reagan in 1980 repeated the old witticism that he didn’t care what homosexuals do in private, just as long as it wasn’t in the streets because that would frighten the horses.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
There was an entire show based on this premise called "Occasional Wife" in the late 60s. The owner of a company would only promote married men, so an aspiring employee "hired" a woman to play his wife. Even then critics slammed the premise as ridiculously outdated; of course today it's illegal.
Quote:
I was a total misanthrope in school, so I've always wondered if anybody really ever agonized about going to the prom.
Maybe that was a throwback to the 60s, when a lot of high schools only allowed couples to attend prom. I remember going to high school in the 90s, and it was perfectly socially acceptable to go "stag" with friends to the prom.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 PM

Now that I think about it, what about the "character will do anything to win school presidency"? All the school elections I remember were halfhearted efforts, with the losers not losing any sleep over their fate.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Did it work? That is, were the intended dupes fooled, and never found out about the ruse?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Likewise, I guess every class reunion plot is solved by me happily staying home.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I've actually BEEN the pretend partner for a friend
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Raymond Burr (Perry Mason) invented a couple of wives and a son that died young. No doubt as a beard to cover up his homosexuality. But even when he was in his 70s and a tv legend, he was still telling reporters about taking his dying son on a year long trip.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
There was an entire show based on this premise called "Occasional Wife" in the late 60s. The owner of a company would only promote married men, so an aspiring employee "hired" a woman to play his wife. Even then critics slammed the premise as ridiculously outdated; of course today it's illegal.
I remember that. He took a secretary and set her up in an apartment two stories above his so she could come down the fire escape if the boss or co workers stopped by. Naturally the renter in the middle would always see them on the fire escape and wonder why. The actors, Michael Callan and Patricia Harty, ended up getting married but later divorced.

It was a reverse of an earlier show “The Cara Williams Show” where a married couple had to pretend they weren’t because they worked for the same company which didn’t allow co-workers to be married to each other. Which may have had some basis in reality. I read a book on the women’s baseball league in the 1940s and 1950s which stated many states in the Great Depression passed laws forbidding married women from working if their husbands had a job.

Not sure if “Occasional Wife” was ridiculously outdated (leaving out the sitcom elements). Jim Bouton in his book “I’m Glad You Didn’t Take it Personally” says when he was interviewed for a sports tv news job by WABC-TV in New York City in 1970, the station manager asked if he was happily married. He thought divorced people were essentially quitters and he didn’t like quitters. Maybe there is a difference in hiring divorced people and the owner of a baby food company wanting married people (single parents without ever being married were as rare as whales in the Sahara desert on 1960s tv).
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
The sympathetic male lead being upset and put out by his wife making more money...Yes this happens in real life, but dudes who feel that way are not sympathetic and aren't people you'd want to watch a show about.
In a similar vein, Darrin (either of them) forbidding Samantha to use her powers after they were married. Besides forgoing any advantages, he'd be lucky if she only divorced him rather than turn him into a frog or something.

I don't remember. Did she disclose the fact she had powers to him only after they were married?
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM

I've felt utterly indifferent to any notion of comically sabotaging the efforts of my mother and father, after their divorce, to date other people. I suppose not harboring a hope they'd reunite helped in this regard.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
In a similar vein, Darrin (either of them) forbidding Samantha to use her powers after they were married. Besides forgoing any advantages, he'd be lucky if she only divorced him rather than turn him into a frog or something.

I don't remember. Did she disclose the fact she had powers to him only after they were married?
according to wiki it was on their wedding night so it would be after the ceremony.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim's Son View Post
according to wiki it was on their wedding night so it would be after the ceremony.
This was the pilot episode.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I've felt utterly indifferent to any notion of comically sabotaging the efforts of my mother and father, after their divorce, to date other people. I suppose not harboring a hope they'd reunite helped in this regard.
I am pretty sure that after Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball got divorced, their two children would often request they borrow a copy of “The Parent Trap” film from the studio (in those old pre vcr/dvd days). Eventually Desi and Lucille caught on to the fact their kids wanted their parents to re unite (then again Desi was a more likeable parent than Lucille although he was a major philanderer and the two had some physical fights. I assume Lucille got custody which was quite common back then).
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that after Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball got divorced, their two children would often request they borrow a copy of “The Parent Trap” film from the studio (in those old pre vcr/dvd days).
Interesting. The Parent Trap came out a year or so after Lucy and Desi divorced, but the kids still could have been interested in the film for the reason you suggest.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am pretty sure that after Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball got divorced, their two children would often request they borrow a copy of “The Parent Trap” film from the studio (in those old pre vcr/dvd days).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Interesting. The Parent Trap came out a year or so after Lucy and Desi divorced, but the kids still could have been interested in the film for the reason you suggest.
Oh, come on. They had to have been divorced for 25 years before Lindsay Lohan was even born...
Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Oh, come on. They had to have been divorced for 25 years before Lindsay Lohan was even born...
Hayley Mills forever!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
My parents would sometimes go out with Dad's two closest minions and their wives; occasionally, they'd eat at one of the households (people in that area often have a kitchen/dining room separate from the house used to hold parties or big family meals; we didn't, but both minions did). With one of them the friendship eventually spread to include the rest of both families; Dad's former mentee was eventually my own mentor, his nephew was my housesitter for several years... With the other one, the relationship was always kind of strained. I think this second minion was almost offended by the impropriety of The Boss cracking the occasional joke or having a glass of wine in the presence of underlings; dude's got one of the worst cases of Stickus Ut Colonus I've ever seen.

Last edited by Nava; 02-20-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
This STILL comes up in some Hallmark movies -- the CEO prefers men who settle down so the interloper proposes to the heroine as she is meeting her twoo wuv. Or the American guy has to impress a foreign businessman who wants to deal only with a "family man". (Then the businessman turns out to be Santa Claus, but I digress.)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Wonder no more: we had an entire thread about this exact question a few years ago:

How (un)realistic a premise was Three's Company's?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM

A staple in the early to mid-60s was the couple find out their marriage license was invalid for some obscure technical reason, so they'd unknowingly been living in sin all these years.

Back then, they were completely mortified and humiliated (until the third act, when they found out it had been valid after all). Today, they'd just say, "Oh well" and get the paperwork redone. Or not.

I saw promos a couple of weeks ago indicating that this was, in fact, the plot of that week's episode of Matt LeBlanc's new sitcom, Man with a Plan. Yet another reason I've never watched it.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that I think about it, what about the "character will do anything to win school presidency"? All the school elections I remember were halfhearted efforts, with the losers not losing any sleep over their fate.
Not in our school. It was something of a political drama: Someone deciding to change the school rules so he could run* and running a campaign against some of the poor decisions of the administrators.** When we won (I was the campaign manager), the anointed one was stunned.

*The post was only open to those who were on the student council, and he wasn't.

** One point was that they turned off a water fountain as some soft of punishment, but never told any of the students why it had been turned off.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.