Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Black Panther movie

"Refugees bring their problems with them"
-Black Panther

‘Black Panther’ Continues To Make B.O. History: $195M+

-President Trump

Trump denounced as a racist and xenophobe.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:09 PM

Wait, do you think "refugees bring their problems with them" is the message of the movie?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Wait, do you think "refugees bring their problems with them" is the message of the movie?
There's no rule that says if bait is thrust in front of you, you have to bite it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude View Post
...I'm not seeing the debate.

Isn't one guy a pretend superhero from an imaginary country in a movie and the other is an actual human leader from a real nation in reality? What's the debate here?

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare a statement by Trump to an equivalent statement by the leader of an actual existing country and how it was applauded by people who denounced Trump?

Hey, once Spider-Man punched a bad guy and people thought it was great but when a cop punches a suspect, people bitch! Whaddsupwitdat????
Old 02-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Really? This is the hill you want to take a stand on?

I can’t find a single citation of Trump making the statement in the o.p., but provided for your reading “entertainment” is the National Immigration Law Center: All tweets from @realDonaldTrump that include the word “refugee” or “refugees” since Donald Trump declared his candidacy for president on June 16, 2015.

The reader is invited to make a comparion and decide who, here and elsewhere, presents the attitude and language of “a racist and xenophobe”.

Stranger
Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM

What is the debate?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Not seeing a debate.

Off to the Pit.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Not seeing a debate.

Off to the Pit.
Well, in that case, the o.p is a fuck-ass shit-stirring troll using the opportunity of a popular film that portrays a positive view of an African culture to create a false equivalence between a fictional character in a superhero movie and an actual bombastic demagogue who managed to sleeze his way into the White House with the assistance of Russian cyberintelligence and attacking his opponents with personal insults and innuendo instead of presenting anything like a coherent platform for fixing the imagined and real problems that our nation has to deal with.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 02-18-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Isn't one guy a pretend superhero from an imaginary country in a movie and the other is an actual human leader from a real nation in reality?
Oh, it gets even better: the pretend superhero ends up leading his imaginary country out of its "Wakanda First" isolationism and xenophobia. (Not single-handedly, either -- the new generation of Wakandans seems to be trending a lot more cosmopolitan.)

I don't think the Wakandans have explicitly taken in refugees by movie's end, but it's implied that they will. (My WAG: refugees from Asgard might find a new home there.)

ETA: Since this is Pitted now, I'll be explicit: poor-quality trolling/shit-stirring in the OP. Most charitable explanation: hasn't seen movie, was misled by fake news.

Last edited by snoe; 02-18-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM

I'm reluctant to give this thread any more attention, but the line, "Refugees bring their problems with them," isn't even spoken by the Black Panther. It's spoken by W'Kabi who is arguably a minor villain in the film.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Most charitable explanation is that the OP is a brain-dead gibbon, escaped from a lab and accessing an abandoned laptop in the landfill.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:41 PM

A side benefit of this movie is that it's going to bring all the racists back up into the sunlight again, and remind me who on this site just isn't worth my time. I expect a large crossover between people down on BP and the passengers on my favourite omnibus.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Well, in that case, the o.p is a fuck-ass shit-stirring troll using the opportunity of a popular film that portrays a positive view of an African culture to create a false equivalence between a fictional character in a superhero movie and an actual bombastic demagogue who managed to sleeze his way into the White House with the assistance of Russian cyberintelligence and attacking his opponents with personal insults and innuendo instead of presenting anything like a coherent platform for fixing the imagined and real problems that our nation has to deal with.

Stranger
That’s a hell of a sentence. Imagine if every government program had the cost-result ratio of the $345,102 spent of Facebook ads that Russian cyber intelligence was able to achieve. We’d have a Mars colony and no homelessness. The DMV would be a cheery place.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:50 PM

OMG, did anybody see this movie? Like all the people were black and it was in a black country and I think the director might have been black and holy shit they used music by black American artists!

What this film desperately needs is some white people to white-splain everything about Africa.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
I'm reluctant to give this thread any more attention, but the line, "Refugees bring their problems with them," isn't even spoken by the Black Panther. It's spoken by W'Kabi who is arguably a minor villain in the film.
Repeated for truth. If you're going to claim a superhero movie somehow justifies a president being a racist fuck, try not to quote one of the bad guys.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
OMG, did anybody see this movie? Like all the people were black and it was in a black country and I think the director might have been black and holy shit they used music by black American artists!
No, but I saw Hamilton this weekend and George Washington was black. I was outraged by the black-washing of American history. What will the children think?

I was going to raise a fuss but there were a lot of people around and stuff so I settled for passive-aggressively dropping my paper towels on the bathroom floor instead of putting them in the waste basket and writing this internet post of protest.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM

Wow...the OP's been here since 2008 and somehow managed not to shit all over himself before this. I'm shocked.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
That’s a hell of a sentence. Imagine if every government program had the cost-result ratio of the $345,102 spent of Facebook ads that Russian cyber intelligence was able to achieve. We’d have a Mars colony and no homelessness. The DMV would be a cheery place.
And fuck you with an exploding dildo, you shitburger troll, for trying to normalize the interference of a foreign intelligence service in a domestic election. The CIA is rightly villified every time they are caught pulling this nonsense, and arguing that, “It’s only Facebook, so it’s not wrong,” is the height of shameful apologism for the that human circus peanut and his clown car of corruptibles.

Stranger
Old 02-18-2018, 04:29 PM

Am I the only one who has noticed that Black Panther is bringing the racists out of the woodworks?

I swear, everywhere I turn on the internet where the movie is being discussed, there they are. Shitting all over everything.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
And fuck you with an exploding dildo, you shitburger troll, for trying to normalize the interference of a foreign intelligence service in a domestic election. The CIA is rightly villified every time they are caught pulling this nonsense, and arguing that, “It’s only Facebook, so it’s not wrong,” is the height of shameful apologism for the that human circus peanut and his clown car of corruptibles.

Stranger
Well. I never said it was right. Try reading for comprehension, potty mouth.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Am I the only one who has noticed that Black Panther is bringing the racists out of the woodworks?

I swear, everywhere I turn on the internet where the movie is being discussed, there they are. Shitting all over everything.
Only if you're the only one on the internet.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Fuck off, A Racist Dude.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Back to your fainting couch, you hypocritical shitstain.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:

They were out when star wars had the audacity to have a black lead character.

Misogynists were out about Wonder Woman.

It's to be expected anytime a movie comes out that doesn't reinforce the white male as the only character worth having.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:

You are not the only one. I thought Wonder Woman was bad. This is much worse.

Quote:
You are one strange little dude. Why the hell do you even come to the Pit when it seems to offend you so? I can just picture you, swooning on the couch, clutching your pearls and smelling salts.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM

Yeah, complaining about all the swearing in the Pit is kind of like complaining about all the arguing in Great Debates, or all the know-it-all 'splaining in General Questions: it suggests a mystifying level of cluelessness about what the venue in question is actually designed for.

Personally, I think that using an insult like "potty mouth" in the Pit comes across rather like bringing a water pistol to a shootout. If you don't feel like swearing in a Pit thread, it's more effective to go the neutral-nation route and just loftily ignore all the cussing by other people while refraining from indulging in it yourself. Still, if "potty mouth" really is octopus's epithet of choice, the Pit is the place for him to use it.

Last edited by Kimstu; 02-18-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
You are not the only one. I thought Wonder Woman was bad. This is much worse.

You are one strange little dude. Why the hell do you even come to the Pit when it seems to offend you so? I can just picture you, swooning on the couch, clutching your pearls and smelling salts.
I’d have been fine not engaging in pit discussions up until the point those pit discussions involved me. At that point I might as well participate. Now why the swooning? I’m not swooning I just find the unrestrained nature of the board members interesting albeit abit abrasive. Think of it this way, why are the rules in the rest of the forums needed? Why are the rules here in the pit, as farcical as they are, needed? Are they needed for me or for them?

Obviously, the in-group will disagree. But they’re wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Yeah, complaining about all the swearing in the Pit is kind of like complaining about all the arguing in Great Debates, or all the know-it-all 'splaining in General Questions: it suggests a mystifying level of cluelessness about what the venue in question is actually designed for.

Personally, I think that using an insult like "potty mouth" in the Pit comes across rather like bringing a water pistol to a shootout. If you don't feel like swearing in a Pit thread, it's more effective to go the neutral-nation route and just loftily ignore all the cussing by other people while refraining from indulging in it yourself. Still, if "potty mouth" really is octopus's epithet of choice, the Pit is the place for him to use it.
What, precisely, is the pit designed for? Is it a place to vent? Is it a place designed to quarantine a certain type of discourse that is prone to generating lots of board activity yet could be harmful to overall participation if left unconstrained? Is it a place for the unhinged and Tourette’s suffferers?
Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
What, precisely, is the pit designed for?
Ranting, flaming, insulting, and cussing.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I’d have been fine not engaging in pit discussions up until the point those pit discussions involved me. At that point I might as well participate. Now why the swooning? I’m not swooning I just find the unrestrained nature of the board members interesting albeit abit abrasive. Think of it this way, why are the rules in the rest of the forums needed? Why are the rules here in the pit, as farcical as they are, needed? Are they needed for me or for them?

Obviously, the in-group will disagree. But they’re wrong.

What, precisely, is the pit designed for? Is it a place to vent? Is it a place designed to quarantine a certain type of discourse that is prone to generating lots of board activity yet could be harmful to overall participation if left unconstrained? Is it a place for the unhinged and Tourette’s suffferers?

#trolltears
Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Given how well the movie portrays a country that is 100% African, with no colonial history (which includes the architecture, the city layout, the general design aesthetic, the clothing, etc), it's no wonder the racists are losing their shit.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 PM

Read the forum description, octopus. It's pretty accurate. Rants about the world or beefs with another poster. So, to your questions: Yes, yes, and that's not what Tourette's is. Angry people curse. Only old grannies tell you not to.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Most charitable explanation is that the OP is a brain-dead gibbon, escaped from a lab and accessing an abandoned laptop in the landfill.
Is he 5 million years old and named Gus?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Read the forum description, octopus. It's pretty accurate. Rants about the world or beefs with another poster. So, to your questions: Yes, yes, and that's not what Tourette's is. Angry people curse. Only old grannies tell you not to.
There are stated and unstated reasons for many things.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
They were out when star wars had the audacity to have a black lead character.

Misogynists were out about Wonder Woman.

It's to be expected anytime a movie comes out that doesn't reinforce the white male as the only character worth having.
And they're out in force about a woman as the Doctor. Every time my Doctor Who FB group posts any article about Jodi Whittaker the comments section is always about half "BBC went SJW! Hur hur hur!"
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Get the fuck out of the Pit, asshole.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
They aren't needed. TPTB wanted them, and surely plenty of posters like them as well. Plenty of other posters would prefer fewer (if any) rules. It's not really the kind of thing where one side is objectively right or wrong, so here we are, with varying rules across the different forums.

What would be nice is if the easily offended folk would stick to the areas they like and stop creeping around in here to tut-tut everyone else.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I’m not swooning I just find the unrestrained nature of the board members interesting albeit abit abrasive.
And yet you swear and name-call just fine when it suits you, then run back to your safe space where everyone ELSE is the meanieheads. Considering you dropped your turd in the middle of this thread where no one had said anything about whiny sea creatures or any other provocation, you're as full of shit as a chimpanzee pre-flinging.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Given how well the movie portrays a country that is 100% African, with no colonial history (which includes the architecture, the city layout, the general design aesthetic, the clothing, etc), it's no wonder the racists are losing their shit.
Meanwhile, everyone who hasn’t just crawled out from under his rock to express some pointless bigotry can enjoy a lavishly realized new setting within the MCU and engaging characters in a memorable story. So for the racists, it is really just their loss. Fucking imbeciles swimming in their own shit.

Stranger
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Get the fuck out of the Pit, asshole.
I can’t think of a reason why I should. You think name calling and vulgarity are incentives? You have a strange conception of how best to interact with others.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 AM

Octopus is the Carl Spackler of the pit. Standing at the deep end of a freshly drained pool... except that ain’t no Baby Ruth he’s biting into.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 AM

Well, it makes a change from him defending racebaiting troll shitstains in ATMB...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
Repeated for truth. If you're going to claim a superhero movie somehow justifies a president being a racist fuck, try not to quote one of the bad guys.
...Let me say one thing as devil's advocate: this movie does an excellent job of steelmanning the anti-refugee, closed-borders position. Seriously! W'Kabi is not really one of the good guys, but his position is not painted as obviously evil (unlike, say, Killmonger). Instead, we're made to clearly understand that the reason behind this conflict is because it is a legitimately hard question, one that the nation has struggled with in the past. And while I am glad the movie ended the way it did, the position of "keep Wakanda hidden" is made to make... sense. It offers some insight into why so many people favor the "closed borders" position, even if it comes down on the opposite side.

Not that the OP is any less of a stupid troll, but part of why the movie is so great is that the bad guys are relatable and understandable, and not cartoon villains - except Claw, and he's a really really good cartoon villain, and clearly painted as such.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 02-19-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude View Post
-Black Panther

‘Black Panther’ Continues To Make B.O. History: $195M+

-President Trump

Great. Another white boy for us to fix.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I can’t think of a reason why I should. You think name calling and vulgarity are incentives? You have a strange conception of how best to interact with others.
Nasty, bitter, old hag.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post

Actually, I suggested it to him, since he reminded me of a character from Boston Legal who called one of the attorneys "Mr. Dirty Mouth."
Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
You have a strange conception of how best to interact with others.
The irony, it burns.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Wasn't T'Challa (the Black Panther) who said that anyway. It was his brother W'Kabi. T'Challa ends the movie (minor spoilers) taking about how the wise build bridges, while the foolish make barriers.

Not that I'd expect someone like OP to distinguish between two Black people. Movie must have been a confusing blur for him!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Great. Another white boy for us to fix.
Thank you! For reminding me of this line. I died in the theater when Shuri said that...
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Oh, my god! I JUST realized that that line was foreshadowing of the reveal at the end-of-credits scene!