Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 AM

How to be hideous: the right wing tries to discredit the Parkland school shooting survivors

The National Review's Ben Shapiro:

Quote:
Are children innocents or are they leaders?

Are teenagers fully autonomous decision-makers, or are they lumps of mental clay, still being molded by unfolding brain development?

The Left seems to have a particularly hard time deciding these days. Take, for example, the high-school students from Parkland, Fla. They’ve now been trotted out by advocates of gun control as newfound authorities on the evils of the Second Amendment.
Apparently Shapiro's forgotten his own teenage years, per Wikipedia:
Quote:
He has written seven books, the first being 2004's Brainwashed: How Universities Indoctrinate America's Youth, which he started writing when he was 17 years old.[2] Also at age 17, he became the youngest nationally syndicated columnist in the country.[3][4]
Jim Hoft, aka Gateway Pundit, who flunks grammar in the process:

Quote:
EXPOSED: School Shooting Survivor Turned Activist David Hogg’s Father in FBI, Appears To Have Been Coached On Anti-Trump Lines [VIDEO]
The basic thrust of these two pieces is, these kids are all pawns of The Left. Nothing to see here.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more of this, and worse.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM

Hardly a new low for these assholes. Still, one well deserving of a hearty, "FUUUCK YOUUUU!"
Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
The basic thrust of these two pieces is, these kids are all pawns of The Left. Nothing to see here.
I call BS on any such accusations.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Didn't they get their Form 227/1/2c, the "thoughts and prayers" voucher?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I call BS on any such accusations.
All those fuckers should go straight to hell.

Last edited by SteveG1; 02-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Hey, it's that or demanding that the school shooting was fake and the victims are all crisis actors.

But that's more for the lower-class, $20k/year types. The people who know how to couch their racism a bit more wouldn't be caught associating with that part of the GOP's machine.

No, these genteel, compassionate people simply want those ungrateful, idiotic children to sit down, shut up, and catch a few more goddamned bullets, hopefully from someone competent, who can shut them up this time.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 AM

Of course, the reality is that we lefties were just as surprised as everyone else by the way these kids have stepped up and taken on the status quo, and how this has somehow caught fire.

They're leading; we're following. Nobody's "trotting them out."

I'm sure if there were a group of Stoneman students speaking up and saying, "sure, we got shot at, but we're OK with it, we realize that's part of the deal with the Second Amendment," they'd have been on Fox News already, and Rush Limbaugh would have been extolling them.

Speaking of Rush, he's in this too:
Quote:
“This is totally political,” Limbaugh said. “The students think they are taking politics out of this. The minute they bash the NRA it is politics.”
And:
Quote:
Minutes after interviewing a group of Parkland, Florida, students organizing marches in response to the mass shooting at their school, “Fox News Sunday” put conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh on the air to dismiss their plans and condemn them for trying to advance a “political agenda.”

“Marches aren’t going to solve it,” Limbaugh told Chris Wallace, the program’s host, after a segment featuring student survivors of last week’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that claimed the lives of 17 of their classmates and school faculty members.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 PM

TEENS GET POLITICAL; BOOMERS SHOCKED, OUTRAGED

In the words of the Murdoch Millionaires, BAN THIS SICK SHIT: No teen should be allowed to have or state political views! That goes double when they're expressing the ultra-liberal idea that being shot with a rifle is bad! Where did it all go so wrong? It must be those Northern Agitators, stirring up our peaceful high schoolers with their dangerous ideas that gun policy is in the hands of politicians, and can be changed through political mechanisms.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM

I for one welcome our teenager overlords.

Let them fix the problems the present administration let develop in their hubris and unwillingness to relinquish their status quo. It'll be the 60's all over again, man.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 PM

I am unfriending anyone on Facebook who uses the term "crisis actor."
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:03 PM

I was wondering when they would get around to this. The right was strangely quiet for about a week, almost as if they had enough decency to feel shame. I expect by next week, Limbaugh will be calling the girls in the student groups sluts and the guys Dope fiends.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 PM

Add Jack Kingston to the list.

Here's his tweet...

Quote:
O really? “Students” are planning a nationwide rally? Not left wing gun control activists using 17yr kids in the wake of a horrible tragedy? #Soros #Resistance #Antifa #DNC
I especially like '#Soros' at the end.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Starving Artist, one of the board's dumbest and most morally repugnant posters, had made this claim right here on the SDMB. You don't have to go far.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
It's like the official "either I know I'm spewing bullshit, or I'm too dumb to realize it" tag.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Starving Artist, one of the board's dumbest and most morally repugnant posters, had made this claim right here on the SDMB. You don't have to go far.
Thats not fair. He’s one of the internet’s dumbest and morally repugnant posters. You shouldn’t limit it to just the Dope.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I can't say I'm surprised. I missed this because there's only so much Starving Artist bullshit I can wade through. Your powers of endurance are impressive.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Some of Trump's most fervent supporters have started to attack a school shooting survivor who has made a flurry of media appearances

Why this kid? His Dad is a retired FBI agent.

The kid is being attacked on Twitter and elsewhere, and even worse, Don Jr. is 'liking' the tweets.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 PM

I'm anxious to see how this progresses. If the teens can persuade one another to eat Tide pods and the rest of the antics on youtube, banding together nationwide to boycott school for some sincere at-home thinking and praying ought to be a piece of cake. No dangerous public marching is even required. I keep thinking of Gandhi's national day of prayer and fasting, during which he managed to shut down all of India. That was a little rough for the English to ignore.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM

Those two kids on the news are some of the most put together teens I've ever seen in my life and should be given as big a platform as they can handle.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh, as quoted by RTFirefly View Post
“This is totally political,” Limbaugh said. “The students think they are taking politics out of this. The minute they bash the NRA it is politics.”
Not that Limbaugh is ever bounded by reality, but is this claim based on anything? Have the students ever claimed that this is non-political advocacy?

There seems to be a consciousness developing (and correctly, I might add) among liberals and leftists that the right positioning is, 'Of course this is political. Politics is about making meaningful differences in people's lives.' Yeah, this advocacy is political. Own it!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

As an old fart, I couldn't be more proud of kids today. To them I say: take the world for your own, and make it better.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
I'm anxious to see how this progresses. If the teens can persuade one another to eat Tide pods and the rest of the antics on youtube, banding together nationwide to boycott school for some sincere at-home thinking and praying ought to be a piece of cake. No dangerous public marching is even required. I keep thinking of Gandhi's national day of prayer and fasting, during which he managed to shut down all of India. That was a little rough for the English to ignore.
Many schools were closed yesterday for President's Day, and the Tide Pods thing is mostly an urban legend.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
the Tide Pods thing is mostly an urban legend.
It was mostly an urban legend three years ago but not now.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
As an old fart, I couldn't be more proud of kids today. To them I say: take the world for your own, and make it better.
Here, here. They can hardly do a worse job than we did with it.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
Yeah, well, all we had was sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll. If Nintendo had come out in '66, we'd still be in Viet Nam.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
Not that Limbaugh is ever bounded by reality, but is this claim based on anything? Have the students ever claimed that this is non-political advocacy?

There seems to be a consciousness developing (and correctly, I might add) among liberals and leftists that the right positioning is, 'Of course this is political. Politics is about making meaningful differences in people's lives.' Yeah, this advocacy is political. Own it!
Those kids shouldn't just own it, they should be damn proud of it.

And Rush Limbaugh can drop dead. The sooner, the better.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Rush Limbo. How low can he go?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

Why does that surprise you? These guys really do try to brainwash their kids with things like homeschooling and Bible Camps, and teach them that they're in training to be warriors for God and similar sorts of rot. So why wouldn't they believe that the other side does the same thing?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, but if we wish hard enough, maybe he will.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Those kids shouldn't just own it, they should be damn proud of it.
That's pretty much what 'own it' means.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Why does that surprise you? These guys really do try to brainwash their kids with things like homeschooling and Bible Camps, and teach them that they're in training to be warriors for God and similar sorts of rot. So why wouldn't they believe that the other side does the same thing?
"Projection" is the explanation for 89% of right-wing talking points.*

It's otherwise difficult to understand that they simply cannot conceive of the idea that a teen, lying on the floor watching classmates die, might actually think for him or herself: 'this is bad.'

No, the only thing the right-winger can imagine is that George Soros swept into Parkland and performed brainwashing there and then, resulting in teens who robotically and on cue, state for the cameras: 'this is bad.'

*that's an OOMA figure.

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Not that Limbaugh is ever bounded by reality, but is this claim based on anything?
It's based on the same old shit he's been pulling since the 1980s, when he demonized the word "liberal": Make a word a snarl term, out of your snarl when you say it, and then apply it to your enemies.

"Liberal" didn't used to be a dirty word. Back before the wheels came off, we had what was called the "Liberal Consensus", the broad, bipartisan notion of how things ought to be in the post-WWII world. In the 1950s, the USA was an unabashedly Liberal nation. Then the word got demonized, turned into a snarl term, by Limbaugh and people like him.

Quote:
Have the students ever claimed that this is non-political advocacy?
Unnecessary. All Limbaugh has to do is make a big deal out of it being political, and then the dittoheads all agree that high schoolers being political is a bad thing.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Yes. I meant it in a more ""in your face" type of way.

"Angry gets shit done" - Anansi, American Gods

The time for patience is over. The time to wait for the politicians (who are bought and paid for) is over. Time to clean house. Time to also get rid of the cowards who are just NOW severing their ties (or just pretending to) for purely poltical reasons.
And those "lawmakers" who say "thoughts and prayers" can quit their job of doing nothing and go to church instead.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Rush Limbo. How low can he go?
All the way down to hell. The sooner the better.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Dinesh D'Felon (one of the few people whom I eagerly await reading about their painful and prolonged death via wild hogs) is on it, too.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Add Jack Kingston to the list.

Here's his tweet...

What a maroon. My kid came to me to ask permission to participate in an upcoming school walkout that is being planned by the students. Nobody is "trotting him out." He and his classmates have just had it.

FWIW, I told him yes, on the condition that they actually DO something with the time other than just wander around. He looked at me like I was nuts and told me they were planning to march from the school to our congressman's office, which happens to be less than a mile from the school.

These kids are serious.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 PM

I don't know that anyone really does believe the kids are being manipulated, or even just up for an extra day off school. It feels to me like it's admitted bullshit, a sideways sort of facetiousness.

During the campaign, one of the Trump supporters was called for his use of "jew" - I can't remember the context - and he replied that he was mispronouncing "you" so Hispanics would feel included. That kind of obvious insincerity.

Quote:
To be fair, sometimes it means, "own up to it".
Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
No, but if we wish hard enough, maybe he will.
Some yoyo said his name three times, and now we're stuck with him forever.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 PM

I did see two of the students interviewed on the Opposition, and I was very impressed.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

These teenaged kids have grown up in a world of 'forever war' and have seen (or been the targets of) the majority of mass shootings in the last 75 years.

They will be a different political force. Woe to any politician who discounts them, first in 2018 then in 2020...

Last edited by jasg; 02-20-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Yes. I meant it in a more ""in your face" type of way.

"Angry gets shit done" - Anansi, American Gods

The time for patience is over. The time to wait for the politicians (who are bought and paid for) is over. Time to clean house. Time to also get rid of the cowards who are just NOW severing their ties (or just pretending to) for purely poltical reasons.
And those "lawmakers" who say "thoughts and prayers" can quit their job of doing nothing and go to church instead.
Reminds me of this clip from "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" from 2016. After a mass shooting. In Florida.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t88X1pYQu-I
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Some yoyo said his name three times, and now we're stuck with him forever.
Sigh. You joke, but....

I'm responsible for Starving Artist's continued existence here. I'm the yoyo.

Yes. It happened thus: Way back when he first joined the Dope, he came in charging full-tilt with all the blinkered nonsense we've come to know and loathe. He was in a fair way to flaming out via banhammer, but, fairly new Doper and softie (softheaded naif) that I was then, I thought, "Gee, he just doesn't understand the culture here. Let me try to help him."

So, amidst the threadful of seasoned Dopers reaming his ass out, egging on his shrill aggression toward bannation, I offered kind words, gentle explanation and instruction in How Things Are Done (and Not Done) here, and talked him down to the point he survived his entry.

And here we are.

I am the yoyo. I meant well.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy View Post
Sigh. You joke, but....

I'm responsible for Starving Artist's continued existence here. I'm the yoyo.

Yes. It happened thus: Way back when he first joined the Dope, he came in charging full-tilt with all the blinkered nonsense we've come to know and loathe. He was in a fair way to flaming out via banhammer, but, fairly new Doper and softie (softheaded naif) that I was then, I thought, "Gee, he just doesn't understand the culture here. Let me try to help him."

So, amidst the threadful of seasoned Dopers reaming his ass out, egging on his shrill aggression toward bannation, I offered kind words, gentle explanation and instruction in How Things Are Done (and Not Done) here, and talked him down to the point he survived his entry.

And here we are.

I am the yoyo. I meant well.

I'm.... I'm not sure I can forgive you.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I'm.... I'm not sure I can forgive you.
I'm not sure I can forgive myself.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Surprised? Hardly. Just disgusted, and thinking this particular bad behavior deserved to be documented.

Here's another one that didn't surprise me: as jayjay mentioned, that right-wing hack Dinesh D'Souza took his turn in trying to dis the kids. After a bunch of Stoneman Douglas students made the trek from South Florida to Tallahassee only to watch the GOP-controlled legislature refuse to hear a bill banning assault weapons, D'Souza tweeted, "Worst news since their parents told them to get summer jobs."

One of the students tweeted back, "Actually for me the worst news I got was that 17 people died in my school."

The supposed adult treats it as a game, and the high school kid has to remind him that that wasn't a game last week, that people fucking died out there, fuck your 'summer jobs' wisecrack, idiot.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Florida state rep fires his moron aide. The aide is a conspiracy nutter.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Hey, remember that time the mother of a US soldier killed in action in Africa dared to say bad things about Our Beloved Leader after he eventually managed to call her to offer half-hearted condolences and forgot her son's name? And remember when the right-wing came out in force to vilify her? And remember Trump insulting the Khans?

There is no depth to which the current right-wing will not stoop, even unto slandering victims and the families of victims.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:56 AM

According to the right wing, teens are old enough to date Roy Moore but not old enough to contribute to political discourse. Once again, the right wing is aligning itself on the wrong side of history. Apparently condoning sexual assault (if it's someone on their side), being against SSM, and celebrating murder of minority teens by police wasn't creating enough of a stench. Yes, we must accept the deaths of dozens of kids every year because no further regulation of guns can be considered. Fuck them all.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Florida state rep fires his moron aide. The aide is a conspiracy nutter.
"I meant no disrespect," he says.

Yeah, that's why he liked a tweet saying, "wow im sold please take my guns brown bald lesbian girl" over pics of Emma Gonzalez. Totally respectful!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker Carlson
They are using these kids in a kind of moral blackmail, where you are not allowed to disagree or you are attacking the child -- which is, of course -- I can speak for myself, the last thing that I would ever do as a father of four.
Shorter Tucker: "I'm not attacking them, I'm just saying they're pawns rather than acting on their own."

Not seeing much daylight between those things, Tucker.

Not to mention, disagreeing with them is OK. What's not OK is what you and your kindred spirits are doing: refusing to take them at their word about who they are and why they're speaking out.