Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Bruno Mars 100% is a cultural appropriator

Those aren't my words. Those are the words of Seren Sensei. I have no idea who she is, other than she appears to be a 'cultural diversity vlogger' ('Sensei Aishitemasu').

I could only handle a few of her Youtube videos before wanting to stab myself in the face with a dull spoon, but some of the best hits include 'yes, all white people are racist' and 'Why I Hate Adele' (hint: because she's not black).

I suppose the irony of a black 'cultural diversity vlogger' screaming 'cultural appropriator! at the top of her lungs while using 'sensei' as a handle is completely lost on someone who's only real answer to 'what research have you done' is 'see my Youtube channel'.

STFU please.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 03-12-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Yep, she's racist.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Stupid teenager being stupid. I wouldn't call her a racist, just an idiot.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM

That too!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Otherwise known as "how pop music works." Everyone is just rolling together shit they've heard before; the reason people think it sounds good is because in it they hear elements of music they already like, in a shiny new package.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Stupid teenager being stupid. I wouldn't call her a racist, just an idiot.
Yes. Silliness.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I hope the point of this thread isn’t, “the entire concept of cultural appropriation is stupid or nonexistent, because look at how this one person used it!”
Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
I hope the point of this thread isn’t, “the entire concept of cultural appropriation is stupid or nonexistent, because look at how this one person used it!”
It's not; it's "this person is using big words she clearly doesn't fully understand to criticize something else she clearly doesn't fully understand." The privilege of youth, I suppose.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Adele is “over produced”? Her music is just “production, production, production”? Clearly she has never heard Taylor Swift.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:42 PM

This person realize that Bruno Mars is Puerto Rican, Jewish and Filipino, right? Seems like he can lay claim to a great many cultures, pop music being one of them. Like, what culture do you have to be to honestly perform pop anyway?

Last edited by Biggirl; 03-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
Adele is “over produced”? Her music is just “production, production, production”? Clearly she has never heard Taylor Swift.
More than one artist can have over produced music. Even at different levels of "over-produced!"
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

I don’t disagree, Snarky Kong. TS was just the first to pop into my head.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
This person realize that Bruno Mars is Puerto Rican, Jewish and Filipino, right? Seems like he can lay claim to a great many cultures, pop music being one of them. Like, what culture do you have to be to honestly perform pop anyway?
And Hawaiian. Unless the place where you were born and grew up doesn't count as one of your cultures. Dude's like a cultural pizza...
Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAsh View Post
I could only handle a few of her Youtube videos before wanting to stab myself in the face with a dull spoon, but some of the best hits include 'yes, all white people are racist' and 'Why I Hate Adele' (hint: because she's not black).
Has she been doing this since 2012? 'Cause if so, I think I know where SNL's Cecily Strong got her character Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
y'know, I vaguely remember at one point in time this country was considered the "great melting pot."

now, all of a sudden, both left and right have shat all over that notion. The right is retreating into nationalist/nativist "us vs. everyone else," and the left screams "cultural appropriation" any time someone even looks like they're adopting something from another culture. same shit, different stink.

Outrage as a Pastime (TM) is really getting tiring. and people who make a point to constantly be offended on behalf of others should just go DIAF.

Last edited by jz78817; 03-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Have we ever had a thread discussing what is legitimate borrowing from another culture, vs. what is "cultural appropriation?" Because I have a few things to say about that. Mostly about how art and style, at least, don't belong to anyone, including however you define a culture, and about how it is human nature to borrow and build on what came before. There is such a thing as cultural appropriation, but in my opinion it should be fairly narrowly defined, more like what we used to call "cultural exploitation."

On the other hand, I can appreciate how it may seem that a dominant group is sucking in and taking credit for a lot of stuff that was originated within non-dominant groups. Acknowledgement is important. Reducing the gaps between dominant and non-dominant groups is even more important. It's a good idea to keep the focus and energy where it will do the most good.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
There is such a thing as cultural appropriation, but in my opinion it should be fairly narrowly defined, more like what we used to call "cultural exploitation."

On the other hand, I can appreciate how it may seem that a dominant group is sucking in and taking credit for a lot of stuff that was originated within non-dominant groups.
Definitely: I think the label of CA is appropriate for someone who tries to take credit for other culture's achievements, but that seems pretty rare. The only case that comes to mind is the fake Indian shamans although I'm sure there are others.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I hereby propose the deletion of this thread for lack of notability.

Some random blogger said something stupid, and you brought this to the attention of the SDMB for what reason?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post

Some random blogger said something stupid, and you brought this to the attention of the SDMB for what reason?
Slow news day?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
Have we ever had a thread discussing what is legitimate borrowing from another culture, vs. what is "cultural appropriation?" Because I have a few things to say about that. Mostly about how art and style, at least, don't belong to anyone, including however you define a culture, and about how it is human nature to borrow and build on what came before. There is such a thing as cultural appropriation, but in my opinion it should be fairly narrowly defined, more like what we used to call "cultural exploitation."

On the other hand, I can appreciate how it may seem that a dominant group is sucking in and taking credit for a lot of stuff that was originated within non-dominant groups. Acknowledgement is important. Reducing the gaps between dominant and non-dominant groups is even more important. It's a good idea to keep the focus and energy where it will do the most good.
When Overwatch gave its Egyptian character Pharah a skin that made her into a traditional/stereotypical Native American, I read both of the following sentiments from Native Americans writing in good faith from a social justice perspective:

A. I nearly cried, I was so happy, when I saw this representation of NA culture as a focus of power.

B. I nearly cried, I was so angry, when I saw this thoughtless appropriation of NA culture.

As a white guy I tend to kind of stay out of this, for good or ill. This is the kind of thing I'm not sure there can be sweeping, hard fast rules about. It's very situational--and even relative to particular people.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM

The use of the term "Cultural Appropriation" is bullshit about 95% of the time.

I don't know why you're sharing some obscure blogger's shit as if it is supposed to mean anything.

As a tactic, this sort of thing is the realm of the alt-right / conservatives who love to find one obscure loon and then spread their shit with the claim that ALL LIBERALS believe whatever lunacy they're posting.

As a "Huh, look at this, this chick is nuts", I'm less interested in seeing this sort of thing.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:

There are some genuine social issues where the alt-right latch on to rare extremist nonsense in an attempt to discredit everything.

But with "cultural appropriation" the proportions are reversed, it seems to be 95% bullshit to me. So I don't think mockery of the nonsense is inappropriate.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
But with "cultural appropriation" the proportions are reversed, it seems to be 95% bullshit to me. So I don't think mockery of the nonsense is inappropriate.
There is a tribe on a remote island in the Pacific whose culture revolves around mockery of nonsense. I would appreciate it if you did not callously appropriate their culture in this thread!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:47 PM

No worries, mate! G'day!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Australians got culture? Who knew!? Next thing you'll be telling us is that Americans got cuisine. We just take stuff from everyone else and supersize it.

Last edited by John Mace; 03-12-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
When Overwatch gave its Egyptian character Pharah a skin that made her into a traditional/stereotypical Native American, I read both of the following sentiments from Native Americans writing in good faith from a social justice perspective:

A. I nearly cried, I was so happy, when I saw this representation of NA culture as a focus of power.

B. I nearly cried, I was so angry, when I saw this thoughtless appropriation of NA culture.

As a white guy I tend to kind of stay out of this, for good or ill. This is the kind of thing I'm not sure there can be sweeping, hard fast rules about. It's very situational--and even relative to particular people.
I would never argue with someone's feelings. I might well argue whether anyone's feelings ought to be the basis of policy or accepted practice, even though I am a white guy and the other person may not be.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM

I can still wear my Prince T'Challa costume with realistic dark skin overlay for Hallowe'en, though, right?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I can still wear my Prince T'Challa costume with realistic dark skin overlay for Hallowe'en, though, right?
I literally tweeted Ryan Coogler and asked him this very question, but he hasn't replied. He may be a tad busy, though.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Otherwise known as "how pop music works."
Not just pop music, but all music, unless you go back to the first person ever to bang two rocks together.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Not just pop music, but all music, unless you go back to the first person ever to bang two rocks together.
"Me invent rock music."
Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM

There’s this documentary, ya see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
That’s not how it happened
https://youtu.be/tYBNoFcvcWI
Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You forgot the part that the Bruno Mars one is from 2016 and the two linked in the OP are from 2015 -- so pointless AND old.

Last edited by JeffB; 03-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Wah? Bruno is like pineapple and pepperoni pizza. I've been so wrong about him. I will have try another slice.
I like the little dude, truly. He's all kinda cool.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
You and I should trick or treat together! I’m going as Stepin Fetchit. Dude alway cracked me up.

Meetcha at 11PM, corner of 125th Street and Malcolm X Blvd., Harlem!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
y'know, I vaguely remember at one point in time this country was considered the "great melting pot."

now, all of a sudden, both left and right have shat all over that notion. The right is retreating into nationalist/nativist "us vs. everyone else," and the left screams "cultural appropriation" any time someone even looks like they're adopting something from another culture. same shit, different stink.

Outrage as a Pastime (TM) is really getting tiring. and people who make a point to constantly be offended on behalf of others should just go DIAF.
QFT.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
You forgot the part that the Bruno Mars one is from 2016 and the two linked in the OP are from 2015 -- so pointless AND old.
It was recently that Meshell Ndegeocello called him "karaoke". Not for real like she is with her album of covers.

For real. She's accusing Mars of appropriating while shilling an album of covers. WTF?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:09 PM

Unless you're wholesale stealing an entire culture for yourself, or stealing something of deep cultural or spiritual meaning for a different meaning in your culture, there isn't any such thing as cultural appropriation.

Humans are smart. We learn and adapt. We filled every ecological niche on the planet we grew up on. Not through evolution, through adaptation and technology.

The Horse Cultures of the American West would not have happened without lost and escaped Spanish horses. Were they "culturally appropriating" horses? No, they were adapting to something new.

New experiences and new ideas breed even more new ideas and creative impulses as more people are exposed to them. This is a good thing. We will adapt and adopt alien cultural ideas and patterns too once we're exposed to them.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Of course, an intentional cultural appropriation that really didn't work was One Man Gang, this 6'9" 450 pound white professional wrestler, becoming Akeem the African Dream. No, he wasn't in blackface. He just wore African garb, claimed to be from Africa and had to live the gimmick in the era of kayfabe (read: back when they pretended it is was all real).

But the entire idea was to draw heat - boos - for OMG/Akeem as a bad guy.

And he had a black manager, a skinny, slimy guy named "Slick".

Why yes, that actually happened, from 1988-1990.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Some would argue, and I’m inclined to be sympathetic to the argument, that this concept was, is, and has always been hooey, given how immigrants and their cultures are often treated, and how important many think “assimilation” is.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:06 AM

There are reasons to dislike Bruno Mars (hint: grenade), but 'cultural appropriation' isn't one of them.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 AM

I think the concept of "Cultural Appropriation" is bullshit from start to finish. A culture does not get to put limits on what aspects can be copied or adopted by others. You don't like that someone has used a hairstyle or musical style that you hold dear?.....tough. Unless they are passing-off fake as real, directly copying trademarked designs, stealing physical property or preventing you from doing it.....I say carry on.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I think the concept of "Cultural Appropriation" is bullshit from start to finish. A culture does not get to put limits on what aspects can be copied or adopted by others. You don't like that someone has used a hairstyle or musical style that you hold dear?.....tough. Unless they are passing-off fake as real, directly copying trademarked designs, stealing physical property or preventing you from doing it.....I say carry on.
..."trademarks" are a limit placed by a culture on what aspects can be copied or adopted by others. Why is "Cultural Appropriation bullshit from start to finish", but protection for trademark designs something you 100% support?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meh. It is a worthy discussion. I love Led Zeppelin, but they were 100% wrong in their approach to taking blues songs written by other people and heavy-ing them up without credit. Same with the Pat Boones of the world back in the 50's, and many more.

It is a spectrum worth discussing, but in this case with Bruno Mars, it is a silly kerfuffle not worth the time or energy.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
..."trademarks" are a limit placed by a culture on what aspects can be copied or adopted by others. Why is "Cultural Appropriation bullshit from start to finish", but protection for trademark designs something you 100% support?
Speaking for myself, I support an individual's creation as much as I support trademarks and other IP. Just like patents and copyright, unlike the current laws, should not be perpetual, I don't believe another culture's symbols should be considered the property of the descendants rather than those who created them. There are probably other cultures who don't agree with me on that, but hey, everyone has a point of view.

Last edited by Ludovic; 03-13-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 AM

Silly, silly little girl.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
It was recently that Meshell Ndegeocello called him "karaoke". Not for real like she is with her album of covers.

For real. She's accusing Mars of appropriating while shilling an album of covers. WTF?
Cover albums pay royalties. Whatever Bruno Mars is doing doesn't. And he's been sued over it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-10451682.html

Last edited by thirdname; 03-13-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Speaking for myself, I support an individual's creation as much as I support trademarks and other IP. Just like patents and copyright, unlike the current laws, should not be perpetual, I don't believe another culture's symbols should be considered the property of the descendants rather than those who created them. There are probably other cultures who don't agree with me on that, but hey, everyone has a point of view.
...so you accept that trademarks are a limit placed by a culture on what aspects can be copied or adopted by others. There are a number of treaties and statutes worldwide that protect indigenous intellectual property rights. Do you disagree with those treaties in principal?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I agree, but I think I would extend 'passing off fake as real' to include stuff where a copied thing is copied in a way that makes it offensive to the original - the only good example I can think of is blackface, but I'm sure there are others less extreme that I would still consider verboten.

But yeah, taking something that group A enjoys, and introducing it and enjoying it in group B should be pretty much OK most of the time.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Meh. It is a worthy discussion. I love Led Zeppelin, but they were 100% wrong in their approach to taking blues songs written by other people
had you stopped here I'd disagree completely, I think they did a brilliant job and made something far better than the original compositions.

Quote:
and heavy-ing them up without credit.
The last part is the important bit. They should properly credit and reward people but that it irrelevant as to whether they should have adapted the songs in the first place, which is what the "cultural appropriation" complainers would say.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
I agree, but I think I would extend 'passing off fake as real' to include stuff where a copied thing is copied in a way that makes it offensive to the original.
"Offensive to the original" what on earth does that mean?