Old 03-17-2018, 11:44 PM

Katy Perry's PR nightmare.

I must admit I'll never be able to see Katy in the same way. Who uses their money to bankrupt two nuns? One of them dropped dead in court last week.

Doesn't matter if she had the legal upperhand.

She's a celebrity that depends on people buying tickets and purchasing music. Does she really want to be remembered for this heartless act?

Katy needs to listen to Kenny Rogers.
You've got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away. And know when to run. 

Sweetheart you should have been gracious and ran like hell. The court of public opinion is what matters. These elderly nuns just wanted to live out their last days in their home. Couldn't you have waited a few years to take possession?
https://pagesix.com/2018/03/11/nun-i...rt-appearance/

https://pagesix.com/2018/03/17/nun-s...Lt37yB7GVHHTUt

Quote:
Perry said she wants the 22,000-square-foot Mediterranean-inspired property so that she can “sip green tea and find herself.’’

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-17-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 AM

The Washington Posts article is more comprehensive. Katy had the legal upperhand.

But, imho most people would show a little decency and compassion in this situation. Or at least pretend too and keep her fans from abandoning her.

The legal system steamrolled over these two elderly nuns. That's not anything to take pride in. Katy has to live with her actions and face herself in the mirror every day.

I believe strongly in karma. You get back exactly what you put into this world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...psed-and-died/

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Really old people die. I have an irrational crush on KP. Especially with her new super short haircut. Can't explain it. If some nuns gotta die,...so be it.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM

Oooh boy. Nuns, with an oath of service, violated the oath of service to their Archdiocese and remained in occupation of a building for years. They decided that they would not allow the sale of a building that the Church had ordered them to leave because they did not like her music videos, and went and sold it to someone else. The Church took them to court, the nuns lost, and the Church sold it to Katy.

Nuns violated an oath of service, stole a property worth millions and sold it. It's hard to grow older. The brain makes funny choices.

It's also hard to see where Katy did anything wrong.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Really old people die. I have an irrational crush on KP. Especially with her new super short haircut. Can't explain it. If some nuns gotta die,...so be it.
When i saw the headline, I thought it would also be about the 19 year-old contestant on "American Idol" who got creeped out when Katy Perry kissed him. When combined with nun who dropped dead, that adds up to a very bad week of PR for KP.

And KP's new haircut makes her look like a 45 year-old soccer mom (but at least no one confuses her with Zooey Deschanel anymore).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 AM

How can Katy have bankrupted them? I thought nuns took a vow of poverty, thus being pre-bankrupt.

Secondly, their beef is with the Diocese, which sold their home from under them. Their palatial 22,000 square foot, $15 million dollar home. Maybe the diocese thought that's a bit much for a couple of nuns to be knocking around in, and more humble quarters would suit.

And I thought nuns took a vow of obedience, but I guess it doesn't count if they really, really don't wanna.

Also, I don't think you have to worry about Katy losing her fans, aceplace. R Kelly peed on an underage girl and people still buy his stuff. I think Perry's gonna be OK.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
The legal system steamrolled over these two elderly nuns.
...that's what you got from that story?

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-18-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 AM

Pretty much.

You can have legal rights and still feel a moral obligation not to harm defenseless people.

The most obvious solution would have been to worked out an agreement. Let the elderly nuns live in the only home they've known for forty years. Take possession after they die.

That's what I would have done. But, I'm not an important star like Katy Perry.

A cousin of mine did that for my dad's parents. They were elderly and struggling to get by. He bought the small farm with the condition they could live out their lives there. Grandad died a few years later and grandmother eventually moved to a nursing home.

It worked out great for everyone.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:47 AM

The other buyer wasn't going to let the nuns stay either. They were going to build a hotel.

Dennis
Old 03-18-2018, 12:56 AM

I'm not sure what could have been worked out. I don't know enough details.

I only know that I absolutely wouldn't have gotten involved in a legal battle with two elderly nuns. I rather walk away and lose the money.

I need to sleep at night and want to leave this world a better place than I found it. I don't want to hurt anybody.

I used to be competitive, but that changes as the years go by. Winning isn't the end all.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 AM

It's like David vs. Goliath, except if David were in cahoots with a shady developer to steal a $14 million property from its owner.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 AM

I'm not sure Katy herself has done anything wrong, but it's an awful situation. From what I can find, it sounds like the Sisters pooled their money to buy the property from the previous owners and whether the archdiocese had the authority to remove them and sell the property is being disputed. It seems like they've been treated pretty poorly in general for a while now and I'm having a hard time blaming Katy Perry for their situation.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 AM

I agree the archdiocese could have handled this better.

This dispute seems to go back quite a few years.

Katy stepped into the middle of it.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Platypus View Post
I'm not sure Katy herself has done anything wrong, but it's an awful situation. From what I can find, it sounds like the Sisters pooled their money to buy the property from the previous owners and whether the archdiocese had the authority to remove them and sell the property is being disputed.
It looks like the diocese has won. The diocese won the rights to sell the property, and won a further judgment of several million dollars against the developer the nuns were working with, for fraud. The developer then declared bankruptcy, and the nun died while attending the bankruptcy hearing in solidarity with the fraudster.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-18-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:26 AM

I wonder how long it will take before dishonest nuns can be treated the same as any other dishonest person.

Not that anyone deserves bad treatment - they don't - but holding nuns to a lower standard just because they're nuns is pretty silly IMO.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
And KP's new haircut makes her look like a 45 year-old soccer mom (but at least no one confuses her with Zooey Deschanel anymore).
But somebody does now confuse her with Miley Cyrus. Probably even someone besides me.

I don't think she's going to have a PR problem with the nuns, whoever she looks like. I'm not even one of her fans and I think the nuns were in the wrong here.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 03-18-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
I wonder how long it will take before dishonest nuns can be treated the same as any other dishonest person.

Not that anyone deserves bad treatment - they don't - but holding nuns to a lower standard just because they're nuns is pretty silly IMO.
It was a legal dispute over ownership of property the order the Sisters of the Most Holy had used for over 40 years. The details haven't been reported. The relationship between the archdiocese and convents is really an internal church matter. I'm surprised it ended this badly.

I wouldn't characterize any of the parties as being dishonest.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't characterize any of the parties as being dishonest.
A jury did, though. The developer was found to have acted out of "fraud, malice or oppression."

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-18-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

I think I need to go to bed, but this story is so much like something I would come up with in a dream, that I'm starting to wonder if I'm already there.

Katy Perry now looks like Miley Cyrus? She bought a house from the Catholic Church, who took it from two elderly nuns, one of whom died in the midst of a court appearance? Yep, this is one of my dreams; it's exactly weird and random enough. I'm not following the links; I know how my dreams go. The links will just lead to grocery ads for a city I've never been to.

If in fact I am actually somehow dreaming while awake and posting this in the waking world, I'm sorry for whatever thread I'm actually posting this in, unless this is actually my blog and I can delete it.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
These elderly nuns just wanted to live out their last days in their home. Couldn't you have waited a few years to take possession?
The nuns haven't lived there since 2011. According to this NPR story, the archdiocese—not Katy Perry—forced them to move out.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 AM

It is a but surreal.

I need to get some sleep too. I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 AM

I keep seeing it reported the Sisters order bought the property in 1972. Yet the court ruled it belongs to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

This article says the church claims authority over the nuns order and they control the property? I'm astonished the Church's authority over the nuns could negate a private purchase they made in 1972. I didn't think property rights worked like that.

It's too complicated for me to understand. But, the courts did rule for the church.

http://abc7.com/news/katy-perry-batt...-feliz/816887/
Quote:
The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary purchased the 8 acres in 1972, and the proceeds are set to care for the five sisters who have all relocated to retirement homes. 
Quote:
The lawsuit claims that the Immaculate Heart of Mary institute is ultimately governed by the Holy See and supervised by the Pope

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-18-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
. . .Their palatial 22,000 square foot, $15 million dollar home. Maybe the diocese thought that's a bit much for a couple of nuns to be knocking around in, and more humble quarters would suit.
Yeah, it's hardly what you think of as a "convent."

I've actually been in there. (I was part of a committee on school accountability and one of the assistant superintendents of LA Unified apparently had once been a member of their order, so she managed get a room there for one of our meetings.)

In fact, it was essentially a resort for nuns. Take a look.

Some friends of mine live nearby, and they'd just soon the place not become a hotel/tourist attraction, because the traffic there already has gotten bad enough from people cutting through to get to Los Feliz Blvd.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
Also, I don't think you have to worry about Katy losing her fans, aceplace. R Kelly peed on an underage girl and people still buy his stuff.
Yeah. Also, R. Kelly peed on the girl as part of a movie the two are starring in. It's eight minutes long and went straight to video. Well... streaming.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I'm astonished the Church's authority over the nuns could negate a private purchase they made in 1972.
It sounds like the nuns didn't purchase the property, the order did. And the order is owned by the church, not by the nuns.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
But somebody does now confuse her with Miley Cyrus. Probably even someone besides me.
Anybody who confuses Katy Perry with Miley Cyrus should look below their necks. That would quickly clear things up.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
...the Sisters of the Most Holy...
With capitals? That settles it, then.

You appear to have started from a conclusion, based on a preconception that nuns can do no wrong, and then attempted to shoehorn the story into your outraged narrative.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
In fact, it was essentially a resort for nuns. Take a look.
Is that a helicopter pad past the parking lot? The circle with the Maltese cross.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Hold on there, being confused with Zooey Deschanel is a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Is that a helicopter pad past the parking lot? The circle with the Maltese cross.
You read guizot post. Traffic around the nun spa is already a nightmare, and nuns are notoriously hard workers. Even with a helicopter there's barely time to schedule a bikini wax in between Stations of the Cross and Vespers.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Hold on there, being confused with Zooey Deschanel is a bad thing?.
Not at all (unless you're using your similar resemblance for purposes of identity theft).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Oooh boy. Nuns, with an oath of service, violated the oath of service to their Archdiocese and remained in occupation of a building for years. They decided that they would not allow the sale of a building that the Church had ordered them to leave because they did not like her music videos, and went and sold it to someone else. The Church took them to court, the nuns lost, and the Church sold it to Katy.

Nuns violated an oath of service, stole a property worth millions and sold it. It's hard to grow older. The brain makes funny choices.

It's also hard to see where Katy did anything wrong.
As I understand it, this is exactly what happened. Katy just happened to step in the middle of it. I fail to see how purchasing the property would cause her to lose fans...?!?

I don't like her blonde makeover. The haircut alone makes her look matronly, but to each her own, I guess.

Last edited by kiz; 03-18-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I've had it up to here with nuns and their constant nunning.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Sure looks like one.

Note too that the swimming pool is in the shape of a fish....

"Get thee to a nunnery!"

---Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1

Last edited by terentii; 03-18-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I used to be competitive, but that changes as the years go by. Winning isn't the end all.
That's the spirit. Don't think of yourself as a loser— just a catalyst for your competitors' wins.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM

I'm not getting how Katy Perry is to blame in the least. The nuns thought they owned, and had the right to sell, their property. They sold it to a restauranteur. The Archdiocese thought THEY owned, and had the right to sell the property, and they sold it to Katy Perry.

Either way the nuns would have had to move.

One way the nuns got the money, the other way it went to the Archdiocese.

Katy Perry just wanted the real estate she had paid for. It was the Archdiocese that essentially stole what the nuns thought was their payday.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Anybody who confuses Katy Perry with Miley Cyrus should look below their necks. That would quickly clear things up.
They have a lot in common; ex: They could both use a good long hot shower with scrubbing brushes and clarifying shampoo. It wouldn't give them class, but it's a good place to start.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 03-18-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if she had the legal upperhand.
It actually does matter.

I can't be bothered to dig through who actually had legal rights to the property. But those rights are based on laws and financial transactions, not on who has the most sympathetic persona.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know enough details.
Just sticky this at the top of every outrage thread you start.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Just sticky this at the top of every outrage thread you start.
How many details does aceplace need for an outrage thread?

Nun.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
How many details does aceplace need for an outrage thread?

Nun.
It's his habit.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:55 AM

What kind of meat do priests eat on Fridays?

SPOILER:
Nun. (As if you didn't know!)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:40 PM

I assumed this was going to be about how she stole a kiss from a young man who said he wanted his first kiss to be with someone special in a relationship. There's some debate over whether this counts as sexual harassment, as people would likely consider it so with the genders reversed. He has said it is not (and discussed it with his friends saying that it didn't count, since he didn't kiss her back). Regardless, it was a dick move on Perry's part.

(I admit that I previously did not realize it was a dick move, because the videos I'd seen circulating did not include the part about why the kid had never "kissed a girl.")

That said, I do have to give aceplace a bit of credit. That story, which actually does make her look bad, isn't really circulating (beyond the initial reporting) outside the anti-feminist spheres. But this one is. When it comes to publicity, the details don't matter as much as the spin.

So he's right that the details likely don't matter. But that's because of the state of how we consume news in this country.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
(snipped, like KP's hair)...And KP's new haircut makes her look like a 45 year-old soccer mom (but at least no one confuses her with Zooey Deschanel anymore).
I'm 60 so 45 y.o. soccer moms are hot young things to me.

BTW, Miley Cyrus does absolutely nothing for me.

Last edited by River Hippie; 03-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
These elderly nuns just wanted to live out their last days in their home. Couldn't you have waited a few years to take possession?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
The nuns haven't lived there since 2011. According to this NPR story, the archdiocese—not Katy Perry—forced them to move out.
Quote:
I'm astonished the Church's authority over the nuns could negate a private purchase they made in 1972. I didn't think property rights worked like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
It sounds like the nuns didn't purchase the property, the order did. And the order is owned by the church, not by the nuns.
These pairs of quotes are a perfect encapsulation of this thread, and of a considerable number of aceplace57's SDMB threads. The standard pattern of his OPs, especially on this sort of issue that mixes cultural and moral issues with questions of law and rights, is:

10 misunderstanding
20 flawed analysis
30 outrage
40 goto 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
You appear to have started from a conclusion, based on a preconception that nuns can do no wrong, and then attempted to shoehorn the story into your outraged narrative.
Again, SOP.
Quote:
It's too complicated for me to understand.
We should probably end the thread right about there.

Last edited by mhendo; 03-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
What kind of meat do priests eat on Fridays?

SPOILER:
Nun. (As if you didn't know!)
No meat? What do they eat? Lightbulbs?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It does look like a helicopter pad, doesn't it? If it is, it's never been used for that, as far as I know.

Incidentally, the property next to that would-be helicopter pad is the house where the Mason "family" killed Leno and Rosemary Labianca.

In fact, the neighborhood has a lot of history. The Gelson supermarket, a few blocks from the "nunnery," was the site of Disney's Hyperion Studios, (yes, you can buy your cheese now at the place where Mickey Mouse was born, and where Snow White was made). Around the corner is Marshall High, the go-to classic high school backdrop used in countless movies and TV shows, like Grease, Pretty in Pink, Buffy, Wonder Years, Boy Meets World, Young Sheldon, etc.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I agree the archdiocese could have handled this better.

This dispute seems to go back quite a few years.

Katy stepped into the middle of it.
Pretty much this, but pin the tail on Katy now because she is rich and famous.

I don't even like her but I really don't see how any of this is even remotely her fault.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

mhendo and others, let's remember not to personalize things in this forum. If you have a problem with the sorts of threads that aceplace57 starts, or the way he argues in them, then take it to the Pit.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
There are times when I think she looks like a young Grace Slick, as well.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Katy Perry should totally have foreseen the occupants of the property she bought would sue the actual owner of the property, and then die in the courtroom while they supported the fraudster they tried to sell it to despite not being the owners just because they didn't like her. Not because they didn't want it sold _because they didn't like Katy Perry_. And having foreseen all that she should obviously have known it would be misreported and that the easily duped would skim any article including any sort of fact and make it out like she was personally responsible for kicking them out.