Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Are the elites blackmailing Trump now?

Trump's attorneys office got raided. Now suddenly he indicates he wants back in to the TPP talks. And he is talking about retaliating against Assad for a chemical weapons attack which it would have made no sense for Assad to do. I wouldn't have expected any of this from Trump. Could it be that the elites are blackmailing Trump with info revealed from the raid on his attorney's office? Or is this "4D chess" on Trump's part? Or all just coincidence? Or this all seems more weighty than it is?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Trump is an idiot and has no idea what he's doing. You're trying to derive meaning from tea leaves when it's just a bunch of leftover dreck in the bottom of a cup.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Trump is an idiot and has no idea what he's doing. You're trying to derive meaning from tea leaves when it's just a bunch of leftover dreck in the bottom of a cup.
+1
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peebles View Post
Could it be that the elites are blackmailing Trump with info revealed from the raid on his attorney's office?
How are the elites controlling the FBI?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Trump's attorneys office got raided. Now suddenly he indicates he wants back in to the TPP talks. And he is talking about retaliating against Assad for a chemical weapons attack which it would have made no sense for Assad to do. I wouldn't have expected any of this from Trump. Could it be that the elites are blackmailing Trump with info revealed from the raid on his attorney's office? Or is this "4D chess" on Trump's part? Or all just coincidence? Or this all seems more weighty than it is?
The Republican party dissed TPP simply because it was Obama's idea, not because it was a bad idea. Trump, as a citizen, picked it up from the news and accepted that it was a horrible thing. Once he became President, he ditched it, based (again) on it having been a central Republican rallying point right up to that point.

But now that Trump has decided to go into a trade war with China, it behooves all of the Republicans to admit that the whole thing had just been an act, and actually the TPP was a pretty decent way to start nullifying Chinese influence in the world and to disentangle the US from China, so that we are in a better position to negotiate with them. And, given that we are still entangled and given that the tariffs are a dumbass way to go about trying to deal with China, they're forced to point out to Trump that the TPP is really what we should be doing.

In short: He's reacting to the last person he talked to.

On the Assad front, the chemical attack shouldn't be a big deal at this point in time to Trump. Before, when he reacted to it, that was probably Ivanka pushing him to do something, since it had affected a lot of children. But right now, Assad has been killing people left and right for the last several months, just using more traditional weapons and Trump hasn't given a shit because the news hasn't been reporting it and it hasn't involved children.

Personal guess: Either Bolton is taking command of the situation and Trump has to allow him to do so because he's the new head cheese, or the Russians have decided to let Trump intervene in Syria for their own purposes. He also recently established some real (seeming) sanctions on them, so maybe they're trying to sell the image that they hate each other. Trump might also help pull back the Israelis - who are pretty close to going all out on the Iranians in Syria. Russia wants the Turks to kill Kurds in Syria, so that Turkey continues to move towards the Russian sphere, but otherwise is just as happy to let the Middle East stay as it is with the Iranians in Iran, Assad leading Syria, the Israelis in Israel, etc.

I would hope that it's the Bolton aspect.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM

It's possible that Trump is just no longer able to find people with the necessary qualifications to work for him - he needs his allies to have a very specific combination of characteristics, and while quick-thinking people are not scarce, quick-thinking and extremely gullible people are few and far between.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM
BANNED

The only reason to work in this White house now is to get a book deal. I wish I wasn't serious.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The Republican party dissed TPP simply because it was Obama's idea, not because it was a bad idea. Trump, as a citizen, picked it up from the news and accepted that it was a horrible thing. Once he became President, he ditched it, based (again) on it having been a central Republican rallying point right up to that point.
IIRC, Republicans didn't dis the TPP. It was the Dems, notably the left-wing of the Dems, that dissed it. Boehner and McConnell and Hatch were all instrumental in getting it passed. Trump was actually going against his own party when he abandoned it.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post

But now that Trump has decided to go into a trade war with China, it behooves all of the Republicans to admit that the whole thing had just been an act, and actually the TPP was a pretty decent way to start nullifying Chinese influence in the world and to disentangle the US from China, so that we are in a better position to negotiate with them. And, given that we are still entangled and given that the tariffs are a dumbass way to go about trying to deal with China, they're forced to point out to Trump that the TPP is really what we should be doing.

In short: He's reacting to the last person he talked to.

On the Assad front, the chemical attack shouldn't be a big deal at this point in time to Trump. Before, when he reacted to it, that was probably Ivanka pushing him to do something, since it had affected a lot of children. But right now, Assad has been killing people left and right for the last several months, just using more traditional weapons and Trump hasn't given a shit because the news hasn't been reporting it and it hasn't involved children.

Personal guess: Either Bolton is taking command of the situation and Trump has to allow him to do so because he's the new head cheese, or the Russians have decided to let Trump intervene in Syria for their own purposes. He also recently established some real (seeming) sanctions on them, so maybe they're trying to sell the image that they hate each other. Trump might also help pull back the Israelis - who are pretty close to going all out on the Iranians in Syria. Russia wants the Turks to kill Kurds in Syria, so that Turkey continues to move towards the Russian sphere, but otherwise is just as happy to let the Middle East stay as it is with the Iranians in Iran, Assad leading Syria, the Israelis in Israel, etc.

I would hope that it's the Bolton aspect.
Your history is incorrect. While all of the Democrat candidates for the nomination opposed TPP after the Obama administration negotiated it, The Republican candidates were split Trump, Fiorina, Paul, and Cruz were against it, Rubio, Walker, Perry, and Bush were for it. In the Senate, Democrats voted 32-13 against giving Obama the authority to negotiate the TPP and Republicans voted 47-5 for it.

This is just how politics with a inexperienced and callow president works. He has filled his administration with Republicans and they have influenced him to adapt Republican policies. No need to postulate blackmail.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
... Could it be that the elites are blackmailing Trump ...
Who are these guys? Elite what, athletes? I'm going out on a limb and saying that I believe that elite athletes are not blackmailing Trump.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM

The extent to which the Republicans backed TPP was dependent of the relative influence of plutocrats, vs rabid anti-Obamites had on that individual. Trumps initial opposition was just a kneejerk evrything Obama does is bad reaction. But as others have said, if you really want to stick it to China, the TPP was probably your best shot.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Trump was against the TPP because he doesn't like and doesn't understand international trade. He's now developing a tenuous understanding that some trade is necessary, and that the US's trading partners aren't just going to roll over and change the playing field in his favor. He'll rant and roar, but eventually trade agreements will be made, things will have changed little, the US will still have a major trade deficit, but Trump will declare victory.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Who are these guys? Elite what, athletes? I'm going out on a limb and saying that I believe that elite athletes are not blackmailing Trump.
People with power/money/influence who can "pull strings" to get elected representatives, among others, to do things.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
People with power/money/influence who can "pull strings" to get elected representatives, among others, to do things.
Who are these people and why haven't they been effective in the past? And again, how did they influence the FBI?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by up_the_junction View Post
The only reason to work in this White house now is to get a book deal. I wish I wasn't serious.

Even then, any money you get on the book will be eaten up by your lawyers' fees:

a) when you're called into a meeting with Mueller's team and then have to testify in front of the grand jury;

b) when you're defending yourself when Trump sues you for breach of the NDA he made you sign.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Who are these people and why haven't they been effective in the past? And again, how did they influence the FBI?
Go read a History textbook.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Go read a History textbook.
You may be right in the fact that most Republicans supported the TPP and are exerting their influence on Trump, finally with some desired effect. But you're claiming "blackmail", so the onus is on you to show why it's "blackmail" and not simply political influence at work.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:26 PM

I am hoping it is not blackmail. For a history lesson (I just googled for something and skimmed it):
https://www.bustle.com/p/historys-mo...scandals-29902
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I am hoping it is not blackmail. For a history lesson (I just googled for something and skimmed it):
https://www.bustle.com/p/historys-mo...scandals-29902
Even skimming it you should have been able to realize it is completely irrelevant to the idea you're being asked to give some substance to. Who are these elites who can get compromising information out of a FBI raid where the information won't even be handed to the investigators until it's been deemed pertinent to the warrant by an independent team.

No one is saying there's never been blackmail or that there's no influence peddling, but getting that kind of information out of an ongoing investigation, and being able to blackmail Trump with it, is a special kind of insidious power.

I mean, they wouldn't just need to be able to get that information from the FBI, they would also have to convince Trump it was going to stay hidden if he gave them what they wanted. Why wouldn't Trump instead use it to immediately take to Twitter and state that the FBI was leaking false information from the investigation, killing multiple birds with one stone, and for once do something good. That version of the FBI would actually need a serious housecleaning.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

The lead from the article in the NYT on Trump's change of mind says, "President Trump, in a sharp reversal, told a gathering of farm-state lawmakers and governors on Thursday morning that the United States was looking into rejoining a multicountry trade agreement known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a deal he pulled out of days after assuming the presidency." In other words, he told people what they wanted to hear. If his next meeting is with people who are opposed to trade deals, he'll reverse course. Or if Fox & Friends says the TPP is a bad idea, he'll change his mind.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Even skimming it you should have been able to realize it is completely irrelevant to the idea you're being asked to give some substance to. Who are these elites who can get compromising information out of a FBI raid where the information won't even be handed to the investigators until it's been deemed pertinent to the warrant by an independent team.

No one is saying there's never been blackmail or that there's no influence peddling, but getting that kind of information out of an ongoing investigation, and being able to blackmail Trump with it, is a special kind of insidious power.

I mean, they wouldn't just need to be able to get that information from the FBI, they would also have to convince Trump it was going to stay hidden if he gave them what they wanted. Why wouldn't Trump instead use it to immediately take to Twitter and state that the FBI was leaking false information from the investigation, killing multiple birds with one stone, and for once do something good. That version of the FBI would actually need a serious housecleaning.
Read about J. Edgar Hoover and Martin Luther King Jr.:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.60b64716ad97
Old 04-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Read about J. Edgar Hoover and Martin Luther King Jr.:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.60b64716ad97
What does this have to do with the specific hypothesis you posted about in your OP? How does this answer anyone's objections, specifically naita's? Why should we believe your blackmail hypothesis when there are so many more obvious reasons for Trump to reverse course of the TPP, many of which have been posted in this thread?

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 04-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
What does this have to do with the specific hypothesis you posted about in your OP? How does this answer anyone's objections? Why should we believe your blackmail hypothesis when there are so many more obvious reasons for Trump to reverse course of the TPP, many of which have been posted in this thread?
I have been trying to dispell the "no, because it would be unprecedented" argument. I rather like the: "he is just being a two-faced politician" angle. Where did I say I was convinced one way or the other?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Well, anything's possible. It's possible he's being blackmailed and it's possible he reversed course because Marvin the Martian threatened him with an illudium pu-36 space modulator if he didn't sign the TPP. But probably the best explanations are in posts 2 and 5.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM

the op is trying to get some kind of 'deep state' conspiracy going
Old 04-13-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I have been trying to dispell the "no, because it would be unprecedented" argument. I rather like the: "he is just being a two-faced politician" angle. Where did I say I was convinced one way or the other?
The thing is, if you weren't a person seriously predisposed to conspiracy theories, there's no way you would have asked the question. What the heck does the chemical attack in Syria have to do with TPP? Or the FBI raid?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
The thing is, if you weren't a person seriously predisposed to conspiracy theories, there's no way you would have asked the question. What the heck does the chemical attack in Syria have to do with TPP? Or the FBI raid?
Trump the candidate was against both, and one of the first things he did in office was withdraw from the TPP:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on

https://www.haaretz.com/whdcMobileSi...vows-1.5490349

The recent news of these two reverals, just after the FBI raid, led me to wonder about the question up for debate. No one is arguing "Yes", which is a relief. I am getting sick of providing historical and current event info though.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I am getting sick of providing historical and current event info though.
Do you believe J. Edgar Hoover is in charge of the FBI today? Or that Christopher Wray has amassed the same kind of power in 8 months that Hoover got from running FBI's precursor for 11 years, basically create the FBI and then run that for two decades before Martin Luther King Jr. did anything Hoover would notice? Or is it that you fear some other shadow puppeteer that can wield the FBI for their own benefit?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Do you believe J. Edgar Hoover is in charge of the FBI today? Or that Christopher Wray has amassed the same kind of power in 8 months that Hoover got from running FBI's precursor for 11 years, basically create the FBI and then run that for two decades before Martin Luther King Jr. did anything Hoover would notice? Or is it that you fear some other shadow puppeteer that can wield the FBI for their own benefit?
I don't need to find an exact historical parallel to dismiss the "no precedent" answer.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Trump the candidate was against both, and one of the first things he did in office was withdraw from the TPP:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...&noredirect=on

https://www.haaretz.com/whdcMobileSi...vows-1.5490349

The recent news of these two reverals, just after the FBI raid, led me to wonder about the question up for debate. No one is arguing "Yes", which is a relief. I am getting sick of providing historical and current event info though.
Again, there is no reason to connect the events.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Again, there is no reason to connect the events.
I hope there is no connection. Your question "What the heck does the chemical attack in Syria have to do with TPP?" makes me doubt you understood me. I never connected those two with each other directly. I was noting Trump reversing on both of them shortly after the raid. I assume you mean there is no reason to connect the raid to Trump reversing positions. Again, I hope you are right.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Well, anything's possible. It's possible he's being blackmailed and it's possible he reversed course because Marvin the Martian threatened him with an illudium pu-36 space modulator if he didn't sign the TPP. But probably the best explanations are in posts 2 and 5.
The Trump style of "negotiation" really doesn't work in the context of a multi-national organization such as the TPP.

What are the chances that Trump would coalesce a consistent and lasting trade policy with the TPP partners?

The minute they don't all toady all he's got in his arsenal is personal insults and easily recognized fake data.

And, he's never respected policy in the first place.

Regardless of ANY other aspects, he would shun the TPP just on that basis alone.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I hope it's not blackmail as well. Let's list the key players in this liberal elite conspiracy:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions (R)
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (R)
Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller (R)
FBI Director Jim Comey (R)
U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman (R)

Man, those guys are everywhere.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillReadmore View Post
The Trump style of "negotiation" really doesn't work in the context of a multi-national organization such as the TPP.

What are the chances that Trump would coalesce a consistent and lasting trade policy with the TPP partners?

The minute they don't all toady all he's got in his arsenal is personal insults and easily recognized fake data.

And, he's never respected policy in the first place.

Regardless of ANY other aspects, he would shun the TPP just on that basis alone.
I have no idea what this has to do with what I posted, but I will try to explain.

Trump is currently mad at China and provoking a trade war. The TPP provides a way to increase US influence in the Pacific at China's expense. Thus Trump currently supports it. Tomorrow he may decide that Xi Jinping is his buddy and will again oppose it, but today he supports it. It is just that simple. Most of your points are irrelevant and incoherent.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
I hope it's not blackmail as well. Let's list the key players in this liberal elite conspiracy:

Attorney General Jeff Sessions (R)
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein (R)
Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller (R)
FBI Director Jim Comey (R)
U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman (R)

Man, those guys are everywhere.
The deep state is deep, man. **adds additional layer of tinfoil**
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I don't need to find an exact historical parallel to dismiss the "no precedent" answer.
What exactly is the blackmail about? Extramarital affairs? Trump's first such was all over the NY Post at the time. Stormy Daniels? Why bow to blackmail after the story is out?
You think the FBI cares about TPP or Syria? If they are ganging up on Trump, maybe because it is due to Trump dissing them after the Comey firing? (Not a good idea when you have secrets.) BTW, do you think Trump's double change of opinion on gun control came from blackmail?
If there is blackmail afoot, it is coming from Putin and involves videos and loans from Russian banks and dirty money.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what this has to do with what I posted, but I will try to explain.

Trump is currently mad at China and provoking a trade war. The TPP provides a way to increase US influence in the Pacific at China's expense. Thus Trump currently supports it. Tomorrow he may decide that Xi Jinping is his buddy and will again oppose it, but today he supports it. It is just that simple. Most of your points are irrelevant and incoherent.
Of course a unified approach with the TPP11 would carry more weight than the US alone. That's one reason for having these trade deals.

But, it also means that the TPP will decide on sanctions, not just Trump. So, when he woofs at China, China will be looking at the TPP. Plus, when the sanctions turn out not to be that great for the US, the TPP11 isn't going to just jump and make things all better for Trump.

And, it's not just that simple. The TPP11 dropped more than 20 US-favorable items before they signed. Members are stating opposition to tossing their agreement and going back to negotiations.

Beyond that, Trump is not a policy guy (and thus sees policy as blocking what he wants to do) and tends not to approach international issues through working with allies.

Even his own party in congress has a hard time working with him. Now, he's proposing to work with 11 other nations???

Please!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, yeah, but you are over thinking it. Trump's thought is more like

"China bad! TPP hurt China! TPP good!"

Who knows what he will think tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If there is blackmail afoot, it is coming from Putin and involves videos and loans from Russian banks and dirty money.
I see that as tinfoil hat territory.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
The extent to which the Republicans backed TPP was dependent of the relative influence of plutocrats, vs rabid anti-Obamites had on that individual. Trumps initial opposition was just a kneejerk evrything Obama does is bad reaction.
Unlikely. There are precious few things that Trump is consistent about, but he's been harping on "China is unfair" for decades. Long before anyone even knew who Obama was. And TPP looked like another way for China to "take advantage" of us.

Last edited by John Mace; 04-13-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, that's nice too.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the blackmail about? Extramarital affairs? Trump's first such was all over the NY Post at the time. Stormy Daniels? Why bow to blackmail after the story is out?
You think the FBI cares about TPP or Syria? If they are ganging up on Trump, maybe because it is due to Trump dissing them after the Comey firing? (Not a good idea when you have secrets.) BTW, do you think Trump's double change of opinion on gun control came from blackmail?
If the Stormy Daniels thing were limited to having an affair, I don't believe there would be so much effort put into fighting that. I don't believe anyone doubts there was an affair. And, even the evangelicals are pronouncing this as OK by them.

Really, the only choice is that it leads somewhere in order to be so important.

Would a video be enough?

Could it lead to illegal acts during the election?

Was there a pregnancy?

I don't know, but it can't just be an affair.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Unlikely. There are precious few things that Trump is consistent about, but he's been harping on "China is unfair" for decades. Long before anyone even knew who Obama was. And TPP looked like another way for China to "take advantage" of us.
The funny thing is that the TPP was designed to blunt China's influence.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Kevin Drum: "TPP haters can probably relax."

Last edited by Measure for Measure; 04-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
That's only two flip flops.

He's flip flopped multiple times each on DACA, taxes, healthcare, and pretty much every other policy consideration.

I think you need more flip flops per unit time if you want to suggest a notable change in behavior.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hope there is no connection. Your question "What the heck does the chemical attack in Syria have to do with TPP?" makes me doubt you understood me. I never connected those two with each other directly. I was noting Trump reversing on both of them shortly after the raid. I assume you mean there is no reason to connect the raid to Trump reversing positions. Again, I hope you are right.
Trump reverses himself on some issue or another after every fifth dump he takes; so are you suggesting that the water company might have the goods on him?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Even Trump isn't stupid enough to allow video recording of him.

I think.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post

I think.
The $130K deal with Stormy Daniels specifies videos, pics and texts.

Of course, that could be boilerplate for all his NDA's, I guess.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The irony, it burns.
You think Trumpo could keep his pants on in Russia? You think Putin and his KGB friends don't know all about hidden cameras? The money angle is pretty well understood already. Hardly anyone but the Russians (laundered through Western banks, perhaps) want to lend to Mr. Bankrupt.
And you have read about Comey's book, right?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post

I think.
You think he knew? You think he wouldn't have gotten steered to a room with a camera.
Assuming that there is a room without a camera, that is.
Don't you guys read any spy stories at all?