Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Former first lady Barbara Bush has decided to end medical treatment... [Update: RIP]

Quote:
Former first lady Barbara Bush, the wife and mother of two presidents, has decided to end medical treatment for a life-threatening illness.

Family spokesman Jim McGrath announced on Twitter Sunday that Bush, 92, made the decision after consulting with her family and friends.

"It will not surprise those who know her that Barbara Bush has been a rock in the face off her failing health, worrying not for herself — thanks to her abiding faith — but for others," he said.

Her husband, George H.W. Bush, the nation’s 41st president, is now 93 years old and struggling with a Parkinson’s-like disease that forces him to use a wheelchair and made it difficult for him to speak.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ent/518799002/

Sad news.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? It’s not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

A woman of grace and dignity. In fact both of them have my respect.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:00 PM

IMHO, it would be sad if we were talking about someone in her 50s or 60s. This chick is 92. She's had a really good run. I think decisions like this can be bitter-sweet. But sad? I just don't get how, unless you know her personally and will miss her.

At any rate, BB is the only First Lady I've ever meet in person. I shook her hand when I was in the seventh grade.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM

What is the illness?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:23 PM

She's been struggling with COPD for a long time.

I'm sad to know this. She impressed me on a number of occasions, most notably on an appearance on The David Letterman Show when she said she and her husband never voted the straight ticket; they voted for the person they thought best for the office, regardless of party.

I may not have known her personally, but I've liked her from afar.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:55 PM

I always liked her, she always seemed quite genuine.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:33 PM

She's a classy lady, and down-to-earth. I pray for comfort and peace.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:06 PM

I don't blame her, if prospects for any kind of a normal life are remote, and at her age this seems like a reasonable and emotionally healthy decision.

Having said that, I could not believe the news story said "the wife and mother of two presidents." That is, I couldn't believe it until I saw that it was USA Today, the death camp for editorial judgment. For any who wonder why I say this, it would be correct to say "the wife of one president and mother of another." The way they put it sounds distinctly Oedipean, if not physically impossible.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 PM

I always liked her. Nuff said.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I don't blame her, if prospects for any kind of a normal life are remote, and at her age this seems like a reasonable and emotionally healthy decision.

Having said that, I could not believe the news story said "the wife and mother of two presidents." That is, I couldn't believe it until I saw that it was USA Today, the death camp for editorial judgment. For any who wonder why I say this, it would be correct to say "the wife of one president and mother of another." The way they put it sounds distinctly Oedipean, if not physically impossible.
It took me a couple of tries to properly parse the “rock in the face off” part. Not sure if the OP cut and pasted and it was corrected later but the “off” is now “of”.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
What is the illness?
Being 92?

By the way, this is how I'm going out. Beer in my hand, in front of the fireplace, dogs at my feet.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Being 92?

By the way, this is how I'm going out. Beer in my hand, in front of the fireplace, dogs at my feet.

COPD. Another smoking related death, alas.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 PM

When I tell someone that I'll pray for someone's very ill relative I don't tell them that my prayer often is, "May it be fast and painless."

May it be fast and painless, Birthday Twin.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Being 92?

I have a feeling you may die in the desert, running the killers and blasting rock and roll on the sound system. What a way to go.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Ah, yes. If only those poor smokers knew the cigarettes they enjoy might cause their premature death at 92.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
IMHO, it would be sad if we were talking about someone in her 50s or 60s. This chick is 92. She's had a really good run. I think decisions like this can be bitter-sweet. But sad? I just don't get how, unless you know her personally and will miss her.
The death of any widely respected public figure is sad. at 92, it's not tragic like a child or young adult getting killed in a car wreck, but it's still sad.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Anybody who hits 92 dies of COPD or CHF. The body simply wears out. May Barbara's last days be painless and filled with love.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Oops...CBS accidentally (albeit only briefly) published her obituary yesterday.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Anybody who hits 92 dies of COPD or CHF. The body simply wears out. May Barbara's last days be painless and filled with love.
Sorry to be pedantic, but this is incorrect. There are age-associated changes in heart and lung function, but COPD and CHF are both distinct pathological conditions which are not inevitable at any age.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have a feeling you may die in the desert, running the killers and blasting rock and roll on the sound system. What a way to go.
Is this a threat?

Yeah, I wouldn't rule that out. One way or another, the dogs will most likely be integral, probably in a causation role.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Congestive heart failure is what I heard. I have COPD and ride my bike every day.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? It’s not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?
Yeah.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Not necessarily. Remember that "Babs" is 92.

Julia Child made a similar decision at the end of her life, although in her case she asked that dialysis be discontinued, and it was.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 PM

My father died of cancer and the side effects of the treatment were horrific. If it's inevitable, I'm not going to prolong things pointlessly.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM

Yeah, my father's doctor said to him, basically - you have cancer in at least 6 places. We can treat you and you will die painfully, or we can medicate you and let the disease run it's course. I would choose the latter.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post

Thanks , Roderick, those were my 2 immediate reactions as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:31 PM

This story says she's sipping bourbon as she waits for the end.

http://people.com/politics/barbara-b...health-reveal/

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Breaking on CNN. She has passed.

RIP, Lady Bush.

Last edited by running coach; 04-17-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB

Truly a classy lady, and we are richer for having lived in the world that had her. Now, as with all good men and women, we must give her back to the Lord with grateful thanks for the time she was here.

Eternal rest grant to her, oh Lord, and may her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in Your embrace.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Almost everyone I’ve talked to says, ‘We’re going to move to Houston.’ What I’m hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I'm guessing that 41 won't be far behind her.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 PM

Apparently we’ve all agreed to pretend she was a nice person.

Last edited by madmonk28; 04-17-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'm guessing that 41 won't be far behind her.
That happens a lot. I think you will be correct.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
It's what nice people do when someone who isn't Hitler dies.
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 04-17-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Why wasn't she a nice person?
The Republican party wasn't totally batshit crazy back then.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM

A friend of mine is in one of those body bags she didn’t want to waste her beautiful mind on. I fucking hope it hurt when she died.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine is in one of those body bags she didn’t want to waste her beautiful mind on. I fucking hope it hurt when she died.
I'm sincerely sorry for that.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I don't remember how long ago it was but I saw her on TV when she was speaking at some women's college. She said that she thought there could be a future First Spouse in the audience, and whoever he might be she wished him well. She got a lots of laughs for that.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM

Barbara Bush has died.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I don't remember how long ago it was but I saw her on TV when she was speaking at some women's college. She said that she thought there could be a future First Spouse in the audience, and whoever he might be she wished him well. She got a lots of laughs for that.
Rachel Maddow just discussed this on her show about an hour ago. It was at Wellesley in 1990.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have a vague (or less vague than my own) recollection that Al Franken mentioned her in his book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them"? I think that was the one - it certainly wasn't his most recent book.

Anyway, *IF* I remember correctly, he happened to sit next to her on an airplane, tried to be nice to her, and she was an absolute bitch to him.

That's just one data point, of course. She might have been a nice person overall and was just having a bad day, and/or was especially miffed at Democrats due to some issue of the time. I've acted badly a few times in my life too; most of us have.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Does anyone else have a vague (or less vague than my own) recollection that Al Franken mentioned her in his book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them"? I think that was the one - it certainly wasn't his most recent book.

Anyway, *IF* I remember correctly, he happened to sit next to her on an airplane, tried to be nice to her, and she was an absolute bitch to him.
You can hear Al tell the story here, but no, Al was definitely not being nice to her. He was needling her about George Bush and, what looked like then (and now), his ill-suited run for the presidency. Barbara went into dismissive elite mode pretty easily, but I'm not entirely surprised. Some mothers are hyper-protective of their sons.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:

That's just one data point, of course. She might have been a nice person overall and was just having a bad day, and/or was especially miffed at Democrats due to some issue of the time. I've acted badly a few times in my life too; most of us have.
I remember that now as well. I don't remember the details, but he thought she was a total bitch. I have no idea what people are really like. The impressions on TV are carefully manufactured, I'm sure.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:55 AM

Lot of hate spilling out over the net about her, one would think Ilsa Koch had just died. Mrs Bush would have been amused.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry about your friend. If it's any consolation, Snopes suggested that her remarks were not really about the war itself (which hadn't started at that point), but rather about the media constantly hyping and speculating on the whole thing in the weeks before combat operations actually began:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopes
Read within the context of the full interview, it was a tiny bit more clear that Mrs. Bush’s “beautiful mind” statement referred to her desire not to become mesmerized by the pre-war media speculation of what such an invasion would mean, what sorts of weaponry and defenses U.S. troops might well be walking into, which troops would be committed and when they’d be deployed, how long the war would last, and how high the body count might be.
Mrs. Bush’s point that news of that moment was much more about what could or might happen rather than what was happening was valid. Her comment was not meant as a dismissal of actual deaths or suffering (troops had not yet been engaged at the time of her remark), but of news coverage that amounted to one expert after another’s making predictions about what they saw as likely to occur.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:

What is Al Franken's definition of "trying to be nice?"
Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Sorry about your friend. If it's any consolation, Snopes suggested that her remarks were not really about the war itself (which hadn't started at that point), but rather about the media constantly hyping and speculating on the whole thing in the weeks before combat operations actually began:
The first thing I did when I heard she was dying was google the "beautiful mind" incident. I read the Snopes article.

Snopes gives her the most generous out. Snopes says that journalists of the time were all about speculation and "the cost".
Snopes said Barb issued these words before the war. I say, "THAT IS WHEN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TALK ABOUT IT!" This useless fool thought that talking about what the costs of war before the was happened was, well, useless. IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING KILLING OTHER PEOPLE THE TIME ABOUT TALKING ABOUT IT IS BEFORE THE ACTION. Barb, you stupid, stupid, entitled fool.

Last edited by fervour; 04-18-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM

I didn't know they lost a daughter to leukemia.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

And like clockwork, the lunatic fringe responds with the usual class.

Regards,
Shodan