Old 04-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Listen Up, Maggots! I'm Dead!! - RIP R. Lee Ermey

Dead at age 74. We'll miss you, Gunny.

So much for more seasons of "Lock and Load."
Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 PM

That's a shame, I really liked him. Hell, he could come over to my house and fuck my sister!

R.I.P. Sgt. Hartman
Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I've met him a couple of times, mostly at NRA annual meetings and conventions. In real life he was a kind and gentle man yet still larger than life. Way, wayyyy too soon for him to go.

Yet another reminder that even in the 21st century pneumonia is still a dead serious disease and a killer. It did what the entire Viet Cong couldn't.

*Sigh*

William Stranix
Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM

I hope he had permission.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post
That's a shame, I really liked him. Hell, he could come over to my house and fuck my sister!

R.I.P. Sgt. Hartman
You made me smile even as the sad news was sinking in.

Then I wondered what R. Lee Ermey would have thought of your comment... I giggled a little, knowing he would approve.

Thank you

RIP
Old 04-15-2018, 07:22 PM

The "Toy Story" cast are dropping like flies.

He was a hoot in, "The Frighteners."

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:23 PM

That sucks quite a bit.

Also be on the lookout for this man who may have played a role.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...ej9oknjqdz.jpg
Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

RIP, Sgt. Ermey

I enjoyed his series "Mail Call".
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM

Respect, you god damned jarhead.
And thank you for your service.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

He'll be missed. Loved Gunny Time.

The Official "GaryM" of the Internet
Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 PM

He was amazing in The Boys in Company C, so much so that he got to keep playing the same character over and over throughout his career.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha_david View Post

R.I.P. Sgt. Hartman
I hear he was the kind of guy who had the common curtesy to give a "Reach-a-......

Aw, never mind.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 PM

Semper Fi, dude. R.I.P.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:54 PM

Every cannibal on the congo is now no longer in danger of being short-dicked. So at least there's an upside.

Sorry.....SIR, EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO IS NOW NO LONGER IN DANGER OF BEING SHORT-DICKED, SO AT LEAST THERE'S AN UPSIDE, SIR!

[cannot hear me; requests politely that I repeat that statement as though I had a pair.]

SIR, EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO IS NOW NO LONGER IN DANGER OF BEING SHORT-DICKED, SO AT LEAST THERE'S AN UPSIDE, SIR!

[compares my efforts at vocalization to taurine manure, and requests again politely that I repeat that statement]

SIR, EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO IS NOW NO LONGER IN DANGER OF BEING SHORT-DICKED, SO AT LEAST THERE'S AN UPSIDE, SIR!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquernagy View Post
Every cannibal on the congo is now no longer in danger of being short-dicked. So at least there's an upside.

Sorry.....SIR, EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO IS NOW NO LONGER IN DANGER OF BEING SHORT-DICKED, SO AT LEAST THERE'S AN UPSIDE, SIR!

[cannot hear me; requests politely that I repeat that statement as though I had a pair.]

[compares my efforts at vocalization to taurine manure, and requests again politely that I repeat that statement]

When I was in, non-coms got pissed when you called them "sir". That was for officers.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM

Just box him up and ship him home.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 04-16-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 AM

I am so upset. He was my over 50 crush way back when Mail Call started. I'm gkiving him a very subdued "Hoorah".

My blog sucks.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Dude was only 42 or 43 when they filmed Full Metal Jacket?

Wow, I thought he was older. Probably because I was so scared of him.

I'm trying to think of anyone who made a full movie debut who stole the show more than him. I mean, he absolutely made the opening 45 minutes of Full Metal Jacket memorable. He owned the movie and everything after that is less memorable. I think just about everyone leaves that movie thinking of him.

Truth it, anyone doing "drill sergeant" routines are imitating him now. A lot of people's image of boot-camp is from that movie and his performance.

I believe it is true that Kubrick had another actor and had Ermey training him. Let the other actor go, used the real deal.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Dude was only 42 or 43 when they filmed Full Metal Jacket?

Wow, I thought he was older. Probably because I was so scared of him.
That was exactly my thought--he definitely doesn't look 42 in the film to me.

A few weeks back I introduced my daughter to FMJ, Once Ermey's half of the film ended we simply shut off the film--the second half just isn't worth it.

I remember going to see that film in the theater with my brother--I was in the military at the time and was in awe as to how precisely Ermey had nailed the boot camp experience. I told my brother, who looked at me with a shocked expression, asking me if it was really like that, to which I said "yes it was."

Of course, the film combined many things from many experiences into one catchall boot camp experience (e.g. I never saw a real "blanket party" but I knew they happened), nevertheless Ermey was everything that made that film what it was. Had he not been there, the first half would have been as forgettable as the second half.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
When I was in, non-coms got pissed when you called them "sir". That was for officers.
Yes but in "Boot" you gotta give the drill instructors "sir sandwiches."

Not a Marine, but friends/relatives with a lot.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
A few weeks back I introduced my daughter to FMJ, Once Ermey's half of the film ended we simply shut off the film--the second half just isn't worth it.
There are pacing issues in the second half, but a lot of it is worth it in my opinion. I think the sniper situation alone is worth watching the second half.

But I would bet most people quote and think about the first 45 minutes 10x more often than the second.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 AM

FMJ was in high rotation all throughout my time in the Army. I've seen the movie more times than anyone should need to and seeing him as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman was memorable each time. Much later, I realized that Ermey was the televangelist in Fletch Lives. He was great when he was playing a growling Marine but he was a good actor who could do other stuff too. Of course, I loved his role as Colonel Leslie "Hap" Hapablap as much as Garfield loved lasagna.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
There are pacing issues in the second half, but a lot of it is worth it in my opinion. I think the sniper situation alone is worth watching the second half.
Also we get introduced to Animal Mother, played by Adam Baldwin in an early role, awesome scene where he and Joker have a shit-talking contest.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
"You don't 'sir' me! I work for a living!"

RIP, Sarge.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 04-16-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 AM

RIP

He didn't always play a Marine, but he pretty much always played someone in authority. Mayor, Senator, Sherrif...... he oozed authority.

I'm sorry, Authoritah!

Last edited by Typo Negative; 04-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 PM

I recommend Saving Silverman for fans of Ermey.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM

He played the father of Janitor on Scrubs. 74 is too young.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM

In honor of him, we shouldn't eat any jelly doughnuts today.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
In honor of him, we shouldn't eat any jelly doughnuts today.
I'm going to eat one while all of you do pushups as a consequence.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Every cannibal on the congo is now no longer in danger of being short-dicked. So at least there's an upside....
By internal SerenDipityTM I queried this today.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Was any boot camp experience like what Ermey showed? Do they still do that? Did they ever?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Apparently, it's been asked on here.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM

He played a Captain in the Texas Rangers in the Tommy Lee Jones starring Man of The House.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Did we ever find out if he was House's dad?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:19 PM

I always wondered what his ethnic background was; though it says he's from Kansas, there's something about him that always struck me as Italian or Greek. My Greek grandpa (90 years old and still a tough and very vocal bastard) has a similar look.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

What strikes me about his barely-fictional role in FMJ was that he was a damned fine teacher. Yes, he used some techniques that a teacher wouldn't ordinarily use... but he also had six weeks to teach his students things that lives would literally depend on. And there are also some more conventional teaching techniques hiding in there. Like, when he made Joker responsible for Pyle's success, he was doing as much as he could to help Pyle... but he was also teaching Joker to become a leader, because he saw that potential in him.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Yeah his teaching was fundamentally sound, I gather that actual Marine boot camp was almost identical to how it was portrayed in the film, though I imagine that recruits shooting their drill instructors to death in the bathroom was probably not very common. I've heard that it actually used to be far more brutal than what's portrayed in FMJ, up until a bunch of recruits drowned during a march through a flooded swamp. I've also heard that it isn't as bad today with the profanity and hands-on beatings, but they're just as demanding with the PT and mental tasks designed to rattle you, freak you out, and force you to concentrate.

I always wondered exactly what Pyle's motivation was for the murder-suicide, and how plausible is is that a guy like him might actually do something like that. He doesn't really seem particularly stupid or mentally unstable, just uncoordinated and fat, but the training changes that, as it is intended to, and by the end of the training he's shown as being much better at everything than even Joker is; there's a scene where Pyle rattles off the answers to questions very quickly and precisely while Joker stumbles over it. He takes to the marksmanship immediately and impresses Hartman seemingly on the first day that they have target practice.

So basically, the training worked. Hartman is proud of Pyle at the final scene where their names are all called out and assigned their jobs; he says "you made it", acknowleding the successful transformation.

Is it that Pyle is angry/scared/frustrated that he's going to be an infantryman and sent to Vietnam? Was he hoping to get a different job? Was it that he was finally hit by the reality of the fact that he was going to get sent to Vietnam and have to actually confront death; is that what made him crack?

I always sort of thought that is exactly what he meant by saying "I am in a world of shit" when Joker tells him to put away the rifle or he'll be in a world of shit. Like, "I'm going to die in Vietnam, so fuck everything."

I would assume that for the majority of people, the feeling of finishing Marine boot camp would be exhilarating and confidence-inspiring, even with the knowledge that you have to go to war, because they build up your confidence. My friend told me that when he first left MCRD for the first time, he "felt like he could do anything, like he could get hit by a truck and survive, that he could fuck any woman he wanted, that he was like Superman." And that seems to match the recollections I've been told by others.

I guess Pyle was uniquely vulnerable to mental instability. Also it was in the script.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

In his honor, the next time I fuck someone in the ass I WILL give them the courtesy of a reach around.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:44 AM

I always thought he would have been an interesting J Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man reboot. Ahh well. RIP
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I always wondered exactly what Pyle's motivation was for the murder-suicide, and how plausible is is that a guy like him might actually do something like that.
I've always wondered exactly what Pyle's motivation was for enlisting*. His goofy grin in response to Hartman's repertoire seemed to show that he thought he was signing on to be a soldier in a way that only little boys could possibly conceptualize. He very quickly got a wake-up call on that score at least.

[*I'm not sure if even Vietnam-era Marines were still all enlistees, or if the draft was opened up to them too at some point, WW II included.]
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
[*I'm not sure if even Vietnam-era Marines were still all enlistees, or if the draft was opened up to them too at some point, WW II included.]
When I was being processed in, a Marine walked over, looked at my papers, then went away. I was told later that they could, indeed, force draftees into the Marines if they were short. I was tall, so that may have triggered him. I was also skinny (at the time) with very long hair, so that may have dissuaded him.

eta: I was one of the last draftees.

Last edited by Son of a Rich; 04-17-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
I've always wondered exactly what Pyle's motivation was for enlisting*. His goofy grin in response to Hartman's repertoire seemed to show that he thought he was signing on to be a soldier in a way that only little boys could possibly conceptualize. He very quickly got a wake-up call on that score at least.

I've heard that some guys at Boot actually do laugh at first because some of the things the DIs say are so ridiculous sounding....I assume they are cured of this very early on.

I've also heard that the Marines occasionally grabbed draftees, and that also sometimes they pulled a bait-and-switch with guys who enlisted in the Navy.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I'm going to eat one while all of you do pushups as a consequence.
Do you know what makes me sad?

YOU DO!!!

Maybe we should chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land where MAYBE we can buy some self confidence for you. You jackwagon!

Crybaby.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Do you know what makes me sad?

YOU DO!!!

Maybe we should chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land where MAYBE we can buy some self confidence for you. You jackwagon!

Crybaby.
Thank you!! I scrolled down to see if anyone had already made reference to one of the funniest commercials ever made, and there you were. The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo
Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantih View Post
Thank you!! I scrolled down to see if anyone had already made reference to one of the funniest commercials ever made, and there you were. The link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFy0x_Uixo
Never saw that, thanks for sharing.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
When my oldest son was going through Army BCT at Benning two years ago, he was able to come home during the Christmas holiday for 10 days (drill sergeants like to be home with the family, too...). I asked him if they were told to respond with "SIR, YES, SIR!" and he said exactly what you said - "Sir" was for officers, the proper response was, "Yes, Drill Sergeant!" or "No, Drill Sergeant!"...

My father was in the USAF/MDANG for 31 years and retired as a Col, people always called him, "Sir" when he was in uniform, but never having served, I didn't realize the distinction until my son pointed it out...
Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 AM

I remember reading an interview with Ermey. He explained the DI's watched the casualty lists closely. It tore them apart seeing names they had trained. It made the DI's push training that much harder. Trying to give the young soldiers the best chance of making it back.

I wish now that I had kept that interview.

Ermey eventually went to Nam for 14 months. Retired early, on medical discharge, due to various injuries. per Wikipedia

He was the real deal. A Marine through and through. Great actor too. He certainly liked playing up his DI character.

RIP

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-18-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Just saw this thread. Weirdly, I was in Santa Monica on vacation on the day he died. Maybe that's why the wind was so cold that day.

BTW, I just confirmed that in the movie, the recruits definitely respond to orders from Hartman with "Sir yes sir!" or "Sir, aye aye, Sir!" or whatever "Sir!" sandwich applied.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Oh wow, I was so busy last week that I completely missed this. How sad!

Loved him in the Frighteners and in Toy Story
Old 04-24-2018, 02:00 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member

Just caught him again last night in a nth repeat of The Simpsons episode "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming" as Col. Leslie Hapablap.